• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France - 2008 console sales figures

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Thought this deserves its own thread.

France - 2008 console sales figures

Nintendo DS - 2.25 million
Wii - 1.6 million
PS3 - 708,000
Xbox 360 - 566,000

Software sales mentions…

Mario Kart Wii - 1.3 million
Wii Fit - 1 million
GTA IV PS3 392.000

http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=21711

Wii > Ps360
DS destoys everything - NoE really doesn`t need the DSi.

Orlics

in other words, nothing new except who's currently on top of the 'fighting for second place scraps' pile.

Tailzo

I was in France in September, and had no problem finding PSP games in most stores. At the stores I checked, it seemed to usually have either half more than half of DSes shelfspace.

One store supermarket was kinda strange though. It had DS & Wii. No PSP, PS3 or 360. It had just a very few ps2 games. (Looked like some kinda leftovers.) DS seemed to be a big hit with kids, but I can't remember seeing adults play it in the metro / outdoors. My aunt (she's french) seemed surprised that both me and my fiancé were playing so much DS & PSP.

My little cousin told me he had a ds, but psp was the COOL machine. One of his friends had one. I don't know if that's what most kids think.

One other weird thing. When I went to an outdoor event (kinda park, circus with games for kids) most of the places where you could win stuff buy shooting, getting the fish, ect. Had a ps3 as the first price item.

DarkMehm

cw_sasuke said:
PSP Hardware sales have to be horrible since they aren`t even mentioned.

Europe is actually the strongest region of the PSP, when we look at Sonys shipment data. So it should have sold not that bad in France, don't know why it isn't mentioned in the article.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DarkMehm said:
Europe is actually the strongest region of the PSP, when we look at Sonys shipment data. So it should have sold not that bad in France, don't know why it isn't mentioned in the article.

Shipment Data from 08 ? I cant imagine PSP selling that well here in europe, at least here in germany i think the hardware sales are rather slow if existent. Though software sales are non-existent in europe.

Blablurn

Doc Evils said:
France doesn't like the Xboat.

2vwyeczmi2aj7.gif

DarkMehm

cw_sasuke said:
Shipment Data from 08 ? I cant imagine PSP selling that well here in europe, at least here in germany i think the hardware sales are rather slow if existent. Though software sales are non-existent in europe.

6.9 million PSPs were shipped in the first two quarters worldwide. It sold around 1.5 million in Japan and a bit lower than that in US. Let's say a total of 4 million PSPs were shipped to these two territories. That leaves almost 3 million for the "others" region. I could be totally wrong though, but the total shipments also suggests a lead for Europe.

Ramenman

Doc Evils said:
France doesn't like the Xboat.

France worships the Playstation brand to a point you can't imagine and believes bullshit like "PS3 has far better graphisms than Xbox 360" and "anyway PES is better done on the PS3".

Edit :

My little cousin told me he had a ds, but psp was the COOL machine. One of his friends had one. I don't know if that's what most kids think.

You put it better than I did.

"Why would you buy a 360 ? Don't you know the PS3 is out now?".

DeZimatoR

Banned
Ramenman said:
France worships the Playstation brand to a point you can't imagine and believes bullshit like "PS3 has far better graphisms than Xbox 360" and "anyway PES is better done on the PS3".

jsevxy.jpg

axfs44.gif

RBH

Hellraizer said:
Oh man, this thread (PS3's launch in France) was one of my favorite threads on GAF just because of all of the pics and photoshops. :lol :lol

Anyone still have the link to the thread?

nib95

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Woohoo it's time to:
"Post Useless gifs that don't have anything to do with the thread!"

again!

29g26c3.jpg

Remind me to do Half Life 2 next

If we're talking explosions and physics...

dfzzhe.gif

Sorry, had to! :D

TJ Spyke

skinnyrattler said:
WTF does that mean? Phelphs is going to be the has been, flash in the pan nobody remembers in 2 years....oh wait, I see what you did there.

Phelps has cemented himself as the greatest Olympian ever (and certainly most accomplished. He not only has the record for most gold medals in 1 Olympics, but he also has more overall gold medals than anyone else). and already made himself notable after the 2004 Athens Olympics.

nib95

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Paging the Crysis defense force

This is a consoles sales thread. Hopefully they ignore it lol. Otherwise it's going to get messy. :lol

I wave a white flag and leave whilst I still have my limbs.

TJ Spyke said:
Phelps has cemented himself as the greatest Olympian ever (and certainly most accomplished. He not only has the record for most gold medals in 1 Olympics, but he also has more overall gold medals than anyone else). and already made himself notable after the 2004 Athens Olympics.
I'm sure he knows that.

Gabyskra

Banned
Haunted said:
on topic: great news for Nintendo, ok news for Sony and bad news for Microsoft. Is PS2 software still selling in France?

It is on the shelves but nothing major. Nintendo is kicking ass right now.

PS3 compared to Michael Jordan? Not only is the analogy incredibly stupid, it's not even close to be true.

Aru

Blablurn said:

:lol :lol :lol

Tailzo said:
I was in France in September, and had no problem finding PSP games in most stores. At the stores I checked, it seemed to usually have either half more than half of DSes shelfspace.

One store supermarket was kinda strange though. It had DS & Wii. No PSP, PS3 or 360. It had just a very few ps2 games. (Looked like some kinda leftovers.) DS seemed to be a big hit with kids, but I can't remember seeing adults play it in the metro / outdoors. My aunt (she's french) seemed surprised that both me and my fiancé were playing so much DS & PSP.

One other weird thing. When I went to an outdoor event (kinda park, circus with games for kids) most of the places where you could win stuff buy shooting, getting the fish, ect. Had a ps3 as the first price item.

Every store has reduced PSP games space :/
9/10 adult DS players I see in the metro use a DS with a linker (no homebrew... pirated games. I don't know anyone in France who has a linker and doesn't use it to pirate games).

But I agree, there is not many people playing games in the train. People are used to see others play games but a few years ago you'd be called a geek or whatever if you played games in the train !

Gabyskra said:
PS3 compared to Michael Jordan? Not only is the analogy incredibly stupid, it's not even close to be true.
TJ Spyke said:
2008 might be the year Phelps cemented himself as the greatest Olympian ever, but 2009 is Jordan's comeback year. Just you wait.

Gabyskra said:
It is on the shelves but nothing major. Nintendo is kicking ass right now.

Isn't he trying to say the PS3 and Wii are in the videogame business but aren't competing with each other, like Phelps and Jordan are in Sports but aren't competing with each other? It's stupid either way.

GCX said:
Everywhere except America and Europe?

Yes, PS3 sells better than 360 in Japan.
Maybe he thought Korea, South America and Africa? :lol

Holy crap @ fish in fish gif.

GCX

Blu_LED said:
Wow PS3. So is it beating 360 pretty much everywhere except America and Europe?
Everywhere except America and Europe?

Yes, PS3 sells better than 360 in Japan.

andthebeatgoeson

TJ Spyke said:
Well, since you put it like that and my knowledge of Micheal Jordan being a collossal failure that has ruined an entire company, well, yeah, NOW it makes sense.

>>

Dirtbag

random killzone gifs in a sales thread? :lol
if you guys could only take a step back and see how this looks....

Top Bottom