• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France - 2008 console sales figures

cakefoo

Private Hoffman said:
There's a 220 euro difference in price between the cheapest 360/PS3 consoles, which amounts to about a $300 difference in USD once you do the exchange rate.

I find that fact to be pretty astounding, given these YTD numbers.
They already spun it by using a chart earlier in the thread. Then there was the "France is full of PS3 fanboys," followed by the picture of the lone PS3 fanboy in France. Give them one more strike though.

Private Hoffman said:
There's a 220 euro difference in price between the cheapest 360/PS3 consoles, which amounts to about a $300 difference in USD once you do the exchange rate.

Mostly it's due to Microsoft's piss poor marketing in France. I've never once seen a 360 commercial while I was on vacation there!

The excuse works both ways right?

Perdew

Private Hoffman said:

Couldn't you say the same about the Wii? I don't even know the price there, to be fair.

cakefoo

MWS Natural said:
Mostly it's due to Microsoft's piss poor marketing in France. I've never once seen a 360 commercial while I was on vacation there!

It doesn't. I doubt marketing has been the lone contributor to the 360's success in the US.

Halo and the original Xbox fanbase were a match made in heaven, just like Halo 3 and Gears are to 360.
360 had a one year headstart, and that helps people make the decision to get whatever console their friends have.
PS3's too expensive and useless as a Blu-ray player because the casuals are still playing on SDTV's or can only afford a small HDTV at best.
It's simply cheaper to shove off with a 360, and people are conditioned to paying more but in smaller increments, as opposed to paying in full upfront to save some money.

Nafai1123

Banned
Blablurn said:
2vwyeczmi2aj7.gif

How fitting for a thread so full of fail...

Mindlog

cakefoo said:
They already spun it by using a chart earlier in the thread. Then there was the "France is full of PS3 fanboys," followed by the picture of the lone PS3 fanboy in France. Give them one more strike though.

Who is they?

Raist

Banned
MWS Natural said:

There's a shitload of 360 ads on TV. For a long time there were way more than PS3 ads, now it's a bit more balanced.

Of course, it still doesn't beat the ridiculous amount of Wii ads :p

kmfdmpig

Mindlog said:
Who is they?

The imaginary people who are worried about the PS3 selling + ~12k a month in France as that clearly sets it on a pace to catch up sometime before we're flying cars to the moon, living off of cold fusion and enjoying the opportunity to travel the galaxy meeting new species.

909er

Private Hoffman said:

I forgot that every single 360 sold since September has been an Arcade. Thank you for reminding us.

billy.sea

Banned
RBH said:
Oh man, this thread (PS3's launch in France) was one of my favorite threads on GAF just because of all of the pics and photoshops. :lol :lol

Anyone still have the link to the thread?

I want to see that link too. Where to find?

Acid08

Banned
So basically this thread was made so PS3 fanboys could have some payback after they got trounced by the NPD. Stay classy NeoGAF.

Private Hoffman said:

It is absolutely astonishing. MY GOD Sony did an amazing job, and obliterated the competition.

I'm sending a wish card right now to the Sony headquarters to congratulate them.

So, Private Hoffman, exactly how astounding do you find Sony's numbers? I'm guessing very.

Amazing!

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
I really really expected 360 to be way way farther behind in France than these numbers show.

Given these numbers I suspect after UK this is the best 360 showing in Europe.

Opiate

Does anyone have Xbox 1 / Playstation 2 LTD totals for France? I'd assume that the final tally was well past a 1:5 margin in favor of the PS2.

So everyone wins a little bit here: Sony is still ahead of MS, while Microsoft has made major gains in marketshare in comparison to the Playstation. And Nintendo is... well, the real winner.

Raist

Banned
Opiate said:
Does anyone have Xbox 1 / Playstation 2 LTD totals for France? I'd assume that the final tally was well past a 1:5 margin in favor of the PS2.

So everyone wins a little bit here: Sony is still ahead of MS, while Microsoft has made major gains in marketshare in comparison to the Playstation. And Nintendo is... well, the real winner.

PS2: Over 5.5M
Xbox: 750k

As of December 2007

I guess it hasn't changed much since then, tho the PS2 may have sold a couple more units.

Raist

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Huh. Kinda wish they gave us PSP numbers, but oh well.

Hmm, in mid-december GfK France estimated that the total number of consoles sold in 2008 should be around 5.3M.

So, if you substract the ones in the OP, that should be... 100k for both the PSP and PS2.
Doubt it. PSP sold 600k units in 2007 IIRC.

I'll try to find some numbers

jorma

is now taking requests
Acid08 said:
So basically this thread was made so PS3 fanboys could have some payback after they got trounced by the NPD. Stay classy NeoGAF.

Because that is the only reason to post information on yearly console sales in France, yea obviously.

Are the Japanese sales threads created for the same reason, do you think?

Stay classy, indeed.

Zezboob

I see people keep talking about price difference, but just for information these people need to know that Sony made a special 50€ reduction for those who bought a PS3 (or a PS3 pack) during christmas period (by the way it ends this week for those are interested... basically I think I will buy one this week :D).

PJX

Private Hoffman said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Credibility in shambles.

PSN Black-Rott. I guess my opinion of your game hurt your feelings really deep. It's ok I don't care what you think, after all this is just a forum. Credibility on a forum? Shit like that doesn't bother, kid.

jorma said:
Because that is the only reason to post information on yearly console sales in France, yea obviously.

Are the Japanese sales threads created for the same reason, do you think?

Stay classy, indeed.

Funny you say that, they got absurdly popular because of the DS sales back when gamecube was dying. Interest in Euro numbers certainly has seen an upswing since the PS3 was launched.

Gabyskra

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Funny you say that, they got absurdly popular because of the DS sales back when gamecube was dying. Interest in Euro numbers certainly has seen an upswing since the PS3 was launched.

It's also that there are more Europeans on GAF. Apparently there are around 5 people from France here. Some Killzone obsessed trolls too, sure.

Gabyskra said:
It's also that there are more Europeans on GAF. Apparently there are around 5 people from France here. Some Killzone obsessed trolls too, sure.
Well yea, and that there's actually numbers available now, but shhh don't tell anyone.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Gabyskra said:

Some of us aren't mindless Sonybots mind you. All I can tell is that the Playstation brand is fucking strong here. But you start to see people sensible enough to buy an xbox now that it's piss cheap.

Kildace

Mistouze said:
Some of us aren't mindless Sonybots mind you. All I can tell is that the Playstation brand is fucking strong here. But you start to see people sensible enough to buy an xbox now that it's piss cheap.

I agree. A year ago the 360 was very marginal over here and all the younger, less informed people (ie : mass market) I talked to were all convinced that the PS3 was superior to the 360 even for multiplat games. Now I see people buying 360s regularly at the Fnac and a few of my colleagues have one.

Nothing revolutionnary and I expect the PS3 to win this gen in France but there has been an improvement.

Nocebo

Private Hoffman said:

Do you find PS3's lead over Xbox360 in japan just as astrounding? Just trying to get a frame of reference here.

jorma

is now taking requests
Mr. Pointy said:
No wonder the 360 failed in Europe - who the fuck drinks Foster's?

I think it's just to point out the relative value of things. Just like 8 cartons of Fosters equals one bottle of Becks, so does 1 xbox360 equal 1 ps3.

Backflip

Mistouze said:

That's true. I still can't believe some of the stuff I hear about the PS3 though.

brunoa76

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Good work MS.

They've built themselves a decent brand their with some persistence. Looks like the PS2 strategy has done pretty well for them.

persistence as in p€r$i$t€nc€ ?

Mistouze

Backflip said:
That's true. I still can't believe some of the stuff I hear about the PS3 though.

What astound me is that I hear people considering buying a PS3 while in my opinion purchasing a xbox would give them satisfaction.

-Are you planning to watch Blurays?
-Got a SDTV
-Into online gaming?
-Not much
-You care for Sony exclusives?
-*blank stare*
-Then why don't you consider getting a 360? It got good games and it's cheap.
-I WANT TO SPEND MONIEZZZZZZZZZZ
-Okaaaayyyy

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Ramenman said:
France worships the Playstation brand to a point you can't imagine and believes bullshit like "PS3 has far better graphisms than Xbox 360" and "anyway PES is better done on the PS3".

Edit :

You put it better than I did.

"Why would you buy a 360 ? Don't you know the PS3 is out now?".
s/France/Spain/

Seriously, if France worships any console brand it would be Nintendo rather than Sony/PS. The XBox brand however had a very hard time during the last generation (esp. in france where the GC had a strong showing overall, then the DS showed up and the country pretty much went apeshit), I'd say the sales for the 360 are fairly good, really.

Takosuke

The Killer Bundle that sold a crapload of PS3 in France for X-mas:

ps3-chtit.jpg

Even Will Smith smelled the cashcow, he bought the rights to do a US remake of this lame movie ("Bienvenue chez les Ch'Tis", most successful french movie of all time...).

Mistouze

Masklinn said:
s/France/Spain/

Seriously, if France worships any console brand it would be Nintendo rather than Sony/PS. The XBox brand however had a very hard time during the last generation (esp. in france where the GC had a strong showing overall, then the DS showed up and the country pretty much went apeshit), I'd say the sales for the 360 are fairly good, really.

I think people (me included) don't include Nintendo in their reasonning because nintendo is the hot shit to buy everywhere. Plus different target and stuff.

Top Bottom