• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old? John Davison: "A special 1upyours this w/end. Think retro, think 2yrs ago".

voltron

Hai

Im posting this because I know I certainly havent seen it on GAF. Its possible I missed it in the shit storm that was the last 5 pages of the 1up lay-off thread, or in the What They Play thread as that thing is impossible to search for.

Anyway in the latest WhatTheyPlay podcast John confirms that they are getting together this weekend to do something very special. A retrospective 1upyours, more specifically think how it was 2 years ago.

So clearly Luke will be there with everyone else.

Point & laugh if old, but I havent seen it on GAF or any of the million 1up twitters going around. (about 41mins into the WTP podcast).

senahorse

Great news, shame Shane won't be there (or will he?). I used to love listening to the Luke/Shane (aka MS/Sony) debates.

voltron

x3n05 said:
Great news, shame Shane won't be there (or will he?). I used to love listening to the Luke/Shane (aka Xbox/Sony) debates.

Hell be there.
I dont know, but I dont see why not. The way john talked about it sounds like it will be fucking epic.

If they get the old crew together for a final epic poolside'ish podcast, it would be the best way to go out. Especially if Luke actually curses and is aggressive like in the old days. At the two PAX shows Luke was way to silent and not as filled with hate as he used to.

No way in hell Mark is traveling from Japan to do this final one right?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Vinterbird said:
If they get the old crew together for a final epic poolside'ish podcast, it would be the best way to go out. Especially if Luke actually curses and is aggressive like in the old days. At the two PAX shows Luke was way to silent and not as filled with hate as he used to.

No way in hell Mark is traveling from Japan to do this final one right?
I doubt it, but that would be amazing.

I've just been listening to a bunch of old 1up Yours. Something pretty special was going on in that podcast studio. One last hurrah seems appropriate, Luke better reveal Shane's GAF username though.

voltron

Im kinda confused as to why this isnt already widely known. The latest WTP podcast is a couple days old now and I did see a thread for it. Maybe no one listens to it (I listened to hear 1upyours news).

Its not on Johns twitter either. Maybe he assumed no one would listen to his show other than soccer mums so the news wouldnt get out:lol

diss

Banned
so it's this, geekbox radio and new 1up show thing on friday?
if geekbox radio reunites the brodeo then it's like nothings changed at all

eznark

Banned
I'm currently listening to the Gamers With Jobs podcast and Phil Kollar is on. It's an awesome episode but it is ending with the now obligatory 1upper begging for employment.

Please (and this is a general comment for all podcasts and guest appearances upcoming) stop begging for work in public.

Yasser

eznark said:
I'm currently listening to the Gamers With Jobs podcast and Phil Kollar is on. It's an awesome episode but it is ending with the now obligatory 1upper begging for employment.

Please (and this is a general comment for all podcasts and guest appearances upcoming) stop begging for work in public.
he's asking the gwj guys for work?? aren't they either freelancers (i know at least 1 wrote stuff for gfw) or work in non-gaming related fields?

Pikelet

he's asking the gwj guys for work?? aren't they either freelancers (i know at least 1 wrote stuff for gfw) or work in non-gaming related fields?
He didnt ask GWJ for a job, he was pretty much joking around asking for employment if i remember correctly

eznark

Banned
Pikelet said:
He didnt ask GWJ for a job, he was pretty much joking around asking for employment if i remember correctly

Yeah, pretty much. Not so much joking though. Just generally trolling for jobs in a "call me" type way. Admittedly it's partly my problem for listening to all of these different podcasts that I hear this same thing over and over this past week.

Woo-Fu

Banned
considering it was a "GWJ" podcast, it is hard to believe it was anything but joking---even if there is a kernel of truth behind the humor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"the parents guide to video games"? Am I at the right site?

apoc_reg

Neo Member
Tenuous link (but didnt want to start new thread for the sake of iT) but 1up.com isnt working. New site design being put up maybe?!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i actually listen to old episodes of 1up yours all the time. just yesterday i listened to the episode from last christmas (dec. 20, 2007 i think) in which jeff cannata from totally rad show was a guest star. as good as 1up yours consistently was, it's hard to believe it's over.

eznark said:

Yeah, what an asshole he is for trying to exploit valuable connections to score a job more quickly in an insanely volatile economy in an industry that can be hard to find steady work in!

It's like parents complaining about what their kids see on TV. If you don't like it, don't tune in. The GWJ guys obviously didn't mind.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
badrockjones said:
Yeah, what an asshole he is for trying to exploit valuable connections to score a job more quickly in an insanely volatile economy in an industry that can be hard to find steady work in!

It's like parents complaining about what their kids see on TV. If you don't like it, don't tune in. The GWJ guys obviously didn't mind.

So podcast listeners are now valuable connections??

eznark

Banned
badrockjones said:

All I said was please don't do it "on the air", that the schtick is getting old. (But I also said that was partly my fault since I have been listening to everything that these guys have been on this week).

swander said:
luke shane garnett john, any lineup that deviated even slightly, sucked.

I wouldn't say sucked. They had their moments but I agree this was the best out of the podcasts lifetime.

Colour me hopeful for this final episode.

Haunted

The funniest parts were

- Luke vs Shane in general.

- Luke cracking up repeatedly over Sony's NPD performance.

- Mark imitating Shane in the signoff. Funniest moment in any podcast, ever.

Here's hoping they can catch lightning in a bottle again.

border

Vinterbird said:
Especially if Luke actually curses and is aggressive like in the old days. At the two PAX shows Luke was way to silent and not as filled with hate as he used to.

Luke has been de-clawed by Bungie. They can't even let him go outside unattended anymore, since he has no way to defend himself.

voltron said:
Im kinda confused as to why this isnt already widely known.

Perhaps it would have been posted already if someone hadn't come into the 1Up thread and shit all over it for no particular reason, subsequently causing it to be locked....

Top Bottom