• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Vibranium

Banned
Gareth Roberts went full Keith Boak in terms of being a dick. His choice to burn bridges I suppose. Someone with views like his is clearly not meant for the show anyways.

Sucks, because I did really like some of his episodes. I can seperate the creator from their work though.

Wikipedia is a little coy on any past controversies in this particular writer's biography. Is this the kind of thing I should look for in old WhoGAF threads? Or is it just another case of chronic drunk-tweeting?
I don't know about drunk-tweeting, but his Twitter account these past few years has been rife with Islamophobia, liberal use of the word "autistic" as an insult, saying Doctor Who fans' mothers wouldn't miss them if they died, bullying... if it's drunk tweeting, he's been spending a lot of time drunk these past few years.

I would find out some choice quotes, but unfortunately he's got a habit of blocking anyone who tries to pull him up on some of the things he's saying.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I just finished up Season 9, loved it (except for Hell Bent, not a good finale, but Heaven Sent was amazing).

Regardless, the Husband of River song was wonderful, my new favorite Christmas Episode. But now I'm curious, do I go to season 10, or is there another special after the Husband of River song? Amazon has listed the "Return of Mystereio" which seems to have a date of airing earlier than season 10, but I've never heard of "Mystereio" so not sure if i'm suppose to watch yet or not.

So I just finished up Season 9, loved it (except for Hell Bent, not a good finale, but Heaven Sent was amazing).

Regardless, the Husband of River song was wonderful, my new favorite Christmas Episode. But now I'm curious, do I go to season 10, or is there another special after the Husband of River song? Amazon has listed the "Return of Mystereio" which seems to have a date of airing earlier than season 10, but I've never heard of "Mystereio" so not sure if i'm suppose to watch yet or not.

It's chronologically next, so yeah.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Moffat's team was shagged out after five series and a fiftieth anniversary special, and needed to take a rest.

Understandable. Still weird for them to come back for 1 year than call it quits.

Any idea when Season 10 will be on Amazon Prime/Netflix?

Blader

Understandable. Still weird for them to come back for 1 year than call it quits.

The Husbands of River Song was originally going to be Moffat's last episode, but the BBC did not have a successor showrunner in place yet (Chibnall was working on Broadchurch and I guess there were just no other options they were comfortable with). So rather than let the show sit off the air for three years, Moffat agreed to return for another series, but I suppose the plan reversal happened late enough that there just wasn't enough time to produce a full series, which is why last year only had a Christmas special.

tomtom94

There's also the fact Moffat was busy in 2016 running Sherlock series 4.

Also I'm still waiting for series 9 to go up on Netflix...

Blader

There's also the fact Moffat was busy in 2016 running Sherlock series 4.

Also I'm still waiting for series 9 to go up on Netflix...

If you're in the US, Amazon Prime got exclusive streaming rights to all Doctor Who seasons, so it won't be popping up on Netflix ever (or as long as the deal lasts at least).

M.Bluth

The Husbands of River Song was originally going to be Moffat's last episode, but the BBC did not have a successor showrunner in place yet (Chibnall was working on Broadchurch and I guess there were just no other options they were comfortable with). So rather than let the show sit off the air for three years, Moffat agreed to return for another series, but I suppose the plan reversal happened late enough that there just wasn't enough time to produce a full series, which is why last year only had a Christmas special.

And even then, The Doctor Falls was supposed to be his last episode. But Chibnall didn't want to start with a christmas special + It would've been weird to have one episode starting a new era followed by many many months of nothing until the full series comes out.
So, to avoid possibly losing the christmas slot forever, Moffat decided he'll do this year's special.

tomtom94

If you're in the US, Amazon Prime got exclusive streaming rights to all Doctor Who seasons, so it won't be popping up on Netflix ever (or as long as the deal lasts at least).

UK, so it should be up at some point before Christmas if they're sticking with how it's been done in the past :)

At Comic Con in SF, Peter Capaldi has appeared to hint that Jenna Coleman may be seen in Twice Upon a Time. But it could be just some very imaginative journalists reading the tea leaves wrong. I strongly suspect the latter.

Pagusas

Elden Member
At Comic Con in SF, Peter Capaldi has appeared to hint that Jenna Coleman may be seen in Twice Upon a Time. But it could be just some very imaginative journalists reading the tea leaves wrong. I strongly suspect the latter.

Would make sense wouldn't it? Havnt all the (modern) doctors saw their original companisions just before their deaths? 9th was with rose when he died, 10th visited her in 2005 just as he was dying, 11th saw Amy as he died, so would make sense for the 12th to see Clare.

M.Bluth

I would be astonished if Clara wasn't in Twice Upon a Time in some capacity.

Yeah, certainly would make sense. There's precedence with Amy's cameo, plus the montage of companions calling to him in the finale suggests his memories of her were restored (?)

I wonder if Moffat would go so far as to make the cause of time being stuck in Christmas to be Clara not returning to Gallifrey as she was supposed to do... nah, too big of a role, nvm

Blader

The Caves of Androzani
THE GREATEST DOCTOR WHO STORY OF ALL TIME, or so I'm told. I knew going into this that that kind of hype was only going to be a hindrance, but it couldn't be helped. I wouldn't even know what this story was if it weren't all the hype around it. At the end of the day I did like it just fine, but am definitely not in the "GOAT Doctor Who" boat.

I think a part of it is a selection bias on my end. After The Dalek Invasion of Earth and Genesis of the Daleks, this is the third alien faction/civil war Classic Who story I've seen in about 5-6 weeks, and that plot is feeling pretty tired to me now. More than that, this one feels the most jumbled and hardest to follow, in terms of alliances and stakes. Of the three, this one also has the least amount of Doctor in it; the focus is predominantly on the entanglement of different factions, soldiers, politicians, companies, etc. up until the last episode when it's all cleared away.

One of the things I'd heard most often about this story is that Doctor and Peri are dying, and the Doctor is in a race against time where he moves heaven and earth in a desperate bid to save his companion's life. Which sounds fucking great! Except that plot doesn't really come to the forefront until the last episode. The first three eps are mostly about the Doctor strolling around in this alien civil war, while Peri sits around as somebody's captive. Neither just really plays much of a role.

Now the last episode is where things really get dialed up, where basically everyone else dies and the Doctor really does go on a desperate, race-against-time journey to save Peri's life, even at the cost of his own. And that's all pretty good! I just wish the three episodes preceding it were more engaging.

Other pluses: Davison's performance in that last episode, where the Doctor is pushed to the brink, is really great. Also, I liked Peri! I try not to dig too deeply into other people's thoughts on classic Doctors and companions before watching myself, but I feel like what little I did hear about Peri was usually pretty ambivalent or negative, mainly in relation to her fake American accent. But what I liked about her is something that is usually glossed over with many other companions: she's a regular, ordinary person who is now suddenly facing her death. And she's scared about it. Why wouldn't she be? And not even hysterically so, more quietly scared when it dawns on her that she's actually dying. And when she confesses her fear about it to the Doctor in their jail cell (the, uh, first one they get locked up in)...I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something really honest and sympathetic and sad about Nicola Bryant's delivery.

Of course this story is most famous for being the Fifth Doctor's regeneration, and the regeneration sequence itself looks pretty cool, especially for its time. The floating heads around the Doctor is kinda lame, but the Master screaming "DIE DOCTOR DIE" as he laughs, then gives way into this star tunnel graphic, and POP up comes Colin Baker, was all really well put together.

So overall, far from the best Doctor Who story for me -- it's not even my favorite of the dozen classic stories I've been watching -- but still a solid-to-good one. Its first three episodes lean too heavily on this muddled alien civil war stuff that was never really compelling for me, but the last episode caps it all off very well, with a strong performance by Davison and an endearing role by Bryant.

And with his very first words, I can already tell the Sixth Doctor is going to live up to the hype of being a total prick lol

I'd like it if for a change we got a companion not from present day Earth.

Someone from at least 50+ years ago, or an alien (can look human I guess).

Class was okay, considering the main series wasn't running last year. I would have appreciated a second series, but I'm not too distraught that it won't be back. It became fairly obvious earlier this year that the show wasn't being continued.

tomtom94

Meh, I think only Quill was an interesting character and even then I won't miss her.

Anyway, that's what happens when BBC decides to do the wrong spin-off. Where's my paternoster gang spin-off? Vastra, Jenny and Strax are much better characters, who I miss not seeing ever again.

It would be a shame if the Paternoster Gang weren't featured in Moffat's farewell in some capacity. Strax in particular is wonderful. (You can tell they're great characters because they managed to survive Gatiss)

...Man, the last time we saw them was Deep Breath, wasn't it? I really hope that's not their final on-screen appearance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, there's a twitter account named TrekDocs that gets their hands on old Trek documents. One they got was an old British casting sheet for Deep Space Nine, and Peter Capaldi went out for Sisko. The crew behind the upcoming Deep Space Nine documentary followed up with a screencap from the audition tape, which might be included in the documentary.

DJI-srvUEAAbDMP.jpg

Capadli auditioned for Sisko.

Done with the waste of time that is S6. S7 not much better though, what it did the Rory/Amy relationship wasn't a believable sell and it all got undone due to about 2 sentences which they apparently never mentioned during a divorce. Because who asks why?

Screw The Angels take Manhattan, more stupidity. So much wrong with why couldn't save Amy and Rory, and S6 was all about how knowing the future makes it a fixed point is nonsense that can be altered with trickery, so why do they stress it so much just a few episodes later as reasons cannot do things (also, the Doctor doesn't break anything like the book says, River ends up doing it).

Done with the waste of time that is S6. S7 not much better though, what it did the Rory/Amy relationship wasn't a believable sell and it all got undone due to about 2 sentences which they apparently never mentioned during a divorce. Because who asks why?

Screw The Angels take Manhattan, more stupidity. So much wrong with why couldn't save Amy and Rory, and S6 was all about how knowing the future makes it a fixed point is nonsense that can be altered with trickery, so why do they stress it so much just a few episodes later as reasons cannot do things (also, the Doctor doesn't break anything like the book says, River ends up doing it).

Season 7.2 is better. Not amazing, but jettisons a lot of the junk.

There are more Moffat season I like than dislike, but man 6 and the first half of 7 took a while to get over.

So, there's a twitter account named TrekDocs that gets their hands on old Trek documents. One they got was an old British casting sheet for Deep Space Nine, and Peter Capaldi went out for Sisko. The crew behind the upcoming Deep Space Nine documentary followed up with a screencap from the audition tape, which might be included in the documentary.

DJI-srvUEAAbDMP.jpg

Capadli auditioned for Sisko.

This is my number one thing I want to watch this year. Star Wars and Thor be damned.

tomtom94

Turns out work will let me listen to Spotify while I work which means Big Finish ahoy! I reckon I've got about two months' worth left on Spotify and then I'll probably do something stupid like start buying them.

Eighth Doctor Adventures (S1) were really good, I have to say.

There was a lot more going on underneath the surface than that young, boyish face suggested. Capaldi was working on his own material at around that time, and was soon to win a surprise Oscar as writer-director of the short comedy Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life (which starred Richard E Grant and Ken Stott among others).

As an actor, though, he didn't come into his own during that decade. He had a relatively minor role in the TV dramatisation of Iain Banks' The Crow Road, and appeared as the mysterious Angel Islington in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. The brilliant presence that made The Thick of It such a joy to watch simply had not arrived. He was still cooking.

Blader

The Two Doctors
The final classic multi-Doctor story. Between these three plus Time Crash and The Day of the Doctor, it seems pretty clear to me that multi-Doctor stories work best when the Doctors are actually interacting with each other. Regardless of how nonsense the actual plot may be (and only DotD has a plot that I would consider to be not nonsensical, despite its slow parts) the sight of two or more Doctors bouncing off each other usually makes it worth it. The longer the Doctors are kept apart, the more the story suffers for it. The Three Doctors falls in the former camp; The Five Doctors in the latter; and The Two Doctors somewhere in the middle, but mostly leaning toward the latter.

As is usually the case with these things, the plot is weird and bad. A scientist is helping an androgum (who are basically an entire race of this) become a god for reasons. They've formed an alliance with Sontarans -- whose costumes have degraded to the worst condition I've ever seen them in; they look like actual shit in suits -- to develop a time machine for reasons. They're based in Seville, Spain for reasons. And they've kidnapped the Second Doctor to turn him into an androgum for reasons. It's possible I just didn't pay close enough attention, but of all the many factors at play in this story, I don't think there was ever a compelling reason for why these things were happening in relation to each other.

And none of that would really matter if, as the title suggests, this was a story about two Doctors -- in this case Patrick Troughton's Second and Colin Baker's Sixth -- going through some weird shit together. Troughton and Jamie do get about 20 or so minutes of exploring a space station together in the first episode, and that's kinda cool, but after that they're separated and the Second Doctor spends most of the rest of the story tied up (and briefly transformed into an androgum himself) while the Sixth Doctor and Peri team up with Jamie and a couple nobodies to find him and unravel the androgum plot.

But why write it this way?! Unless Troughton was seriously ill and just couldn't participate much at all, I don't know why anyone would concot a story called The Two Doctors that then kept the two Doctors away from each other until the last half of the last episode. It's a total waste of a premise and a waste of Troughton's Doctor (though to his credit, Troughton is as charming and delightful in the role as ever, despite the very limited amount of material given to work with). On the upside, it is fun to see Jamie again and he at least is given a larger role. Hell, he's more of a companion to the Sixth Doctor then Peri is here.

This was my first Sixth Doctor serial. Plenty has been written about the way the Sixth Doctor was written, directed, even dressed, so I'm not going to retread any of that ground. I will say that Colin does a fine job playing the character he was given, it's just that character is so unappealing to watch as a protagonist. And honestly, watching him in action, I often felt bad for Colin that he was stuck with this version of the Doctor. An ill-conceived character from top to bottom, but not for lack of effort on his part at least.

In the end, I'd rank this a little higher than The Five Doctors, if only because I thought that story was an even bigger waste of its potential and even more sloppily put together. But still, what a shame that this final multi-Doctor story -- and Patrick Troughton's last outing as the Doctor period -- is wasted by a plot that, for some reason, seems intent on keeping its two Doctors apart for as long as possible.

Symphonia

Banned
I’m rewatching season nine right now, and just got done with The Woman Who Lived. There was a scene where Me and the lion man are walking through a crowd, and I noticed something. I did a Google search and nothing’s come up. There’s a guy who swears in the scene. Not ‘arse’ or anything. He proper says “Piss off, son!” which I thought was quite big for a children’s show. I am shook.

I’m rewatching season nine right now, and just got done with The Woman Who Lived. There was a scene where Me and the lion man are walking through a crowd, and I noticed something. I did a Google search and nothing’s come up. There’s a guy who swears in the scene. Not ‘arse’ or anything. He proper says “Piss off, son!” which I thought was quite big for a children’s show. I am shook.

I remember there was a minor stirring among some circles when the Doctor said "Damn" in Journey to the Center of the Tardis.

Turns out work will let me listen to Spotify while I work which means Big Finish ahoy! I reckon I've got about two months' worth left on Spotify and then I'll probably do something stupid like start buying them.

Eighth Doctor Adventures (S1) were really good, I have to say.

I can't wait to get to those. I'm still making my way through the Eighth Doctor main range stuff - currently on Caerdroia. Highlights have definitely been Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, Scherzo, and Natural History of Fear.

I also finally watched the movie and, just, wow. What the hell were they thinking? McGann is such a good Doctor and it makes me so sad that because the movie was such a mess, we never got a tv series with him. But then again, maybe the tv series would have been as awful as the movie... regardless, I'm thrilled I still have hours and hours of his Big Finish stuff to get through.

Yet there was no reaction to this?

Bizarre.

The bulk of the mainstream audience is probably in the UK. A TV show broadcast in the early evening isn't going to offend anybody's sensibilities just because of the occasional fragment of mildly bad language. OFCOM, the regulators, monitor public opinion on this so they keep abreast of public attitudes. The broadcasters stick to the guidelines to avoid the risk of censure, fines and whatnot.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofco...releases/2016/attitudes-to-offensive-language

There was an enormous fuss in the newspapers (and a few Ofcom complaints) when Martha said "bloody" - even though I'm pretty sure Rose had said it in the two years' prior

Blader

I laughed when Peri clearly mouths the word "asshole" behind the Sixth Doctor's back. How did that get past the censors!

Top Bottom