• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm not saying season 1 is perfect, but in a way it's easier to jump into the series from there as there's no backstory you need to know. If you start in S2, you already start with Rose being the companion and the relationship she already has with the Doctor and also er family. S3 is a bit better in this aspect, as you would be introduced to a brand new companion with Martha, but then there's all the "I want to forget Rose" going on that might make you feel like you're losing something. S4 would probably be the best season to start watching in RTD era if not S1, but then I think you would get spoiled starting with the best companion so far :p

At the end of the day its where I started, S1 is a good introduction for people who understand that some episodes of early seasons really suck. I will say though I almost gave up at the farting aliens episode, sooo bad.

My wife started watching over my shoulder with the Runaway Bride episode, didnt mention liking it (later I found out she loved it, she was just confused by what the show was). But then she saw Blink and things clicked for her and she wanted to watch the whole thing from the begining. Thats why Blink is such a good epsiode for new people, it explains the whole concept of the show without forcing it down your throat. Its like a slow learning episode, and one that is very well produced.

She pretty much gave up in the Matt Smith era though, we both had to craw through that and were so glad when it ended (yes there were good parts, but as a whole he alienated us with his acting and personality). Luckily the old man doctor is slowly winning our hearts back. he really starts to feel like the natural coninuation of the 10th .

Blader

If you need to watch Doctor Who at a high watermark to get into it, it's probably not for you.

If you were to introduce someone to Doctor Who with, I don't know, New Earth or that pirate episode from S6, and their reaction was "eh that wasn't really very good, I didn't like it" would your response really be "oh well this show just isn't for you then"? Knowing the high points -- and knowing that there are high points at all -- helps you get through the low points. The low points of Doctor Who aren't very fun if they're your very first impression of the show!

She pretty much gave up in the Matt Smith era though, we both had to craw through that and were so glad when it ended (yes there were good parts, but as a whole he alienated us with his acting and personality). Luckily the old man doctor is slowly winning our hearts back. he really starts to feel like the natural coninuation of the 10th .

Really? Smith feels much more like a continuation of Tennant to me (probably helped by the fact that many of his early episodes were written with Tennant in mind, heh), whereas Capaldi to me feels closer to some of the classic Doctors than the newer ones. Although Smith does remind me a hell of a lot of Patrick Troughton.

The thing I'd say is that the heart of RTD's Doctor Who is found in scenes like... Rose, Mickey and Jackie around the table in that shitty greasy spoon...

"did you see that new pizza place that opened?"

"no, what do they do?"

"pizza."

"Ohhh, that's nice"

Through this there's Rose, looking flabbergasted, and his Doctor Who is about this contrast. This exchange is so real and true to me, and it also serves a plot purpose in pushing Rose to snap. The same is true of, say, the scene of Wild and the Doctor, two old men talking about their mortality and morality,in a cafe. I wouldn't call RTD a master of tone or anything, but I do think Doctor Who sitting at this intersection of mundane and fantastical was very successful tonally.

My question is this - - If those are the scenes that define RTD's Who, the stuff in restaurants and around kitchen counters, what defines Moffat's? It's clearly very different. I have my answers, but curious as to others'...

RTD's brain has a better 'human simulator' than Moffat. Reading the Writer's Tale, I got the sense that RTD would let the emergent properties of internally simulated character interactions really drive things in a way I can't imagine Moffat doing. He really excels at the micro.

If you need to watch Doctor Who at a high watermark to get into it, it's probably not for you.

Naw man, some people just need their gateway drug to get acclimated before they can dive into the rest. My first experience with the show was Series 1 which at the time was too awkward and cheesy for me to get into, I had written the whole thing off. At the insistence of a friend years later, I gave a later season a shot and loved it. After getting acclimated I was able to go back and enjoy series 1, then I just kept diving backward and now I've enjoyed huge chunks of the classic era too.

Naw man, some people just need their gateway drug to get acclimated before they can dive into the rest. My first experience with the show was Series 1 which at the time was too awkward and cheesy for me to get into, I had written the whole thing off. At the insistence of a friend years later, I gave a later season a shot and loved it. After getting acclimated I was able to go back and enjoy series 1, then I just kept diving backward and now I've enjoyed huge chunks of the classic era too.

Series 1 is a bit awkward because it's the roughest around the edges and the most technically primitive series of the revived show. I think one of the reasons the show was able to take off is that people were curious about the return of the Daleks and the Dalek episode is, in some respects, where the series upturns in quality. I can understand someone with no pre-existing knowledge of the show not having any motivation to work their way to episode 6, or whatever it was, for the good stuff.

But I don't get all this 'gosh, what's the very best episode to start someone off on' business. None of the natural jumping-on points are poor episodes and it seems a bit pointless cherry-picking a list of highlights when the series is basically Wildly Varying Quality: The Show. I just don't think someone who needs to be cushioned from the odd 45 minutes of unenjoyable shite has any business watching Doctor Who, tbh.

If I had to come up with a personal pick it would be The Eleventh Hour, just because it's a jumping on point, it's a decent episode and it's in HD.

I'm trying to get my mom to watch Doctor Who and I told her to just start with the beginning. She loves British tv and she absolutely loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which similarly had a rocky start with awful effects and goofy episodes) so I hope she makes it through.

Back in Eighth Doctor Big Finish land, I'm onto The Time of the Daleks which is pretty meh, but I'll keep on going with it. Seasons of Fear was fantastic.

I also just finished The Ice Warriors and started The Enemy of the World. Oh my god, when the Second Doctor gets overjoyed at the sight of the sea and then strips down to his long underwear (lol) and goes for a swim... classic.

tomtom94

Semi-related: something that My Little Pony GAF made a few seasons ago was a watchers' guide - for those who wanted to catch up on the series but not every episode - with plot-important and good episodes highlighted separately. (So for example in series 3 I would highlight Gridlock for plot, Blink for quality, and Human Nature for both. Significant subplots, like New Earth, Martha, and River Song, would also be noted)

I don't know if that's something Who-GAF might be up for as an off-season thing? We have plenty of time if series 11 will be airing next autumn.

I would personally pick series 1 as the starting point every time - mainly because I prefer End of the World to Beast Below - but tbh anything outside a really plot-heavy episode - so no End of Time or Wedding of River Song - works on its own, it's just a matter of when you jump on the relevant plot arcs.

M.Bluth

Semi-related: something that My Little Pony GAF made a few seasons ago was a watchers' guide - for those who wanted to catch up on the series but not every episode - with plot-important and good episodes highlighted separately. (So for example in series 3 I would highlight Gridlock for plot, Blink for quality, and Human Nature for both. Significant subplots, like New Earth, Martha, and River Song, would also be noted)

I don't know if that's something Who-GAF might be up for as an off-season thing? We have plenty of time if series 11 will be airing next autumn.

I would personally pick series 1 as the starting point every time - mainly because I prefer End of the World to Beast Below - but tbh anything outside a really plot-heavy episode - so no End of Time or Wedding of River Song - works on its own, it's just a matter of when you jump on the relevant plot arcs.

I feel like this is done almost every year xD
I can't find the last time the list was made, but it was fairly comprehensive.

However, personally, I'm against it. Yes, someone who wants to watch the show and has limited free time, might be better off skipping awful episodes like Fear Her and Forest of the Night, but... What if you're one of the few who genuinely like Fear Her and/or Forest of the Night?!

Doctor Who fans always surprise me by which combination of episodes they love and loathe.

Yes, someone who wants to watch the show and has limited free time, might be better off skipping awful episodes like Fear Her and Forest of the Night, but... What if you're one of the few who genuinely like Fear Her and/or Forest of the Night?

Heresy!

Doctor Who fans always surprise me by which combination of episodes they love and loathe.

I don't think it really matters for the purpose of a watchers guide. Fear Her is pretty good for a last minute substitute episode, but it doesn't fit into any "main track" because it's stand-alone. Forest of the Night (one of my favourite episodes of Series 8, but obviously not popular with many gaffers) is another one-off.

It has nothing to do with popularity. Many people hate The Wedding of River Song but it belongs with The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon and several other Series 6 episodes as the climax of the River Song saga, whereas many greatly loved episodes don't have that kind of narrative importance. Midnight, for instance, though if I were compiling a showcase of Davies' best writing that would be high on the list.

Why does S6 have this little backstory intro by Amy every episode, it's like it is made for people who never watched an episode before but they started doing it in the series with the most connected episodes to follow to get the full story.

Why does S6 have this little backstory intro by Amy every episode, it's like it is made for people who never watched an episode before but they started doing it in the series with the most connected episodes to follow to get the full story.
I think they did that in just the US, but I agree, it was very irritating that it was in every episode

I watched the original BBC showing and have watched the BBC DVD (bought from Amazon in the UK) quite often. I don't think I've seen that introduction. If you're watching a different version it could well be tailored to a market that was (in 2011) less familiar with the basic premise.

Netflix generally uses the same assets across regions, doesn't it? I'd imagine it would be something like it was released on Netflix in a non-UK region first or they have a preference for 60Hz masters or something like that.

Yes, I've seen it, but never on BBC. I think it would come across as rather patronising in Britain, where Doctor Who is something between East Enders and football in the public mind. People may not care for it, but they do know what it is. Many Doctor Who fans worldwide who have had to sit through that intro probably hate it for similar reasons. It must get old really fast.

Vibranium

Banned
Rewatched Dalek again, the original Eighth Doctor Big Finish story is still better, but Eccleston and Briggs are amazing. They carry the entire episode with their dialogue and acting. Seriously, Chris is on fire, Rose was just...there the entire time.

In The Forest of the Night isn't bad upon rewatch, but has an awful ending that should have been reworked. It's much better than some episodes of Series 1 and 2 especially.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super late to this, apologies, but...

BRADLEY WALSH!?!?!?!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bradley Walsh, written by the guy who wrote Brian Williams. Dwell on that for a bit, it might well change your mind.

I don't actually have any firm opinion other than 'baffled', with maybe a bit of 'confounded' and 'kerfuffled' on top.

mclem

I don't actually have any firm opinion other than 'baffled', with maybe a bit of 'confounded' and 'kerfuffled' on top.

He has appeared in the Greater Whoniverse before:

6ZZG1CW.jpg

(Day of the Clown, from The Sarah Jane Adventures)

Bradley Walsh is a very good actor, with a fair bit of top-quality work behind him. We're not talking Vernon Kay here.

Casting him would be a proper coup for the show, on a variety of levels.

Gattsu25

Banned
Completely dumb drunk question:
I watched up until the end of series 5 and trailed off for personal reasons (I basically stopped watching all TV for a few years).

Where should I pick up? Should I resume watching at the start of series 6, jump ahead to the start of Capaldi's run, or just watch the latest series?

I watched up until the end of series 5 and trailed off for personal reasons (I basically stopped watching all TV for a few years).

Where should I pick up? Should I resume watching at the start of series 6, jump ahead to the start of Capaldi's run, or just watch the latest series?

Just skip Season 6.

Even there, watch The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited.

Season 7 is uneven but has some development you'll want to see.

Bluth54

Honestly I would just say if you like Doctor Who watch all the episodes at least once.

M.Bluth

Honestly I would just say if you like Doctor Who watch all the episodes at least once.

This! This! This!

There are as many people who absolutely love and prefer s6 above all seasons as there are who despise it.

I don't know this dude but are they going to do the "everyone assumes he's the Doctor because he's older and male, and assumes 13 is the companion" for a whole season?

I can't help but dread that they might do that for an episode or two.

There are as many people who absolutely love and prefer s6 above all seasons as there are who despise it.

More to the point, it's the season that introduces The Silents and expands on the weaponized version of the Anglican church introduced in Time of Angels. And it's the origin story of River Song. It has its few detractors but it's impossible to ignore.

Just went to the Doctor Who Experience for the last time.

Sad to see it go, but it was heartening to hear a load of young kids getting right into it still.

Phew, I finished Zagreus. I'm glad I listened to it, even if most of it was pretty inane, because of the emotional impact of the last bit between Eight and Charley. Scherzo is pretty phenomenal for the same reason, but man, it was hard to listen to the Doctor being so... harsh to Charley at the beginning. The raw intimacy is almost off-putting (in a good way) and not what I was expecting from Doctor Who at all. India Fisher is a great voice actor.

I'm so glad I decided to listen to these. I hope McGann never gets tired of doing them. Can't wait to get to the Eighth Doctor Adventures as it sounds like those are a bit more even.

Hold up, they're closing this? It's been on for a while now right?
The five year lease is up, and it's on some prime Cardiff Bay real estate that the Council is eyeing up for regeneration.

There are rumours that there's going to be a new home for the Experience and the exhibits, but probably not until Whittaker's series has been and gone, I'd have thought.

tomtom94

He rather publicly burned his bridges with the production team in the aftermath of series 8, and has spent most of his time since being a bit of a shithead on Twitter.

Ooh, I missed this. (Sorry, I'm a sucker for drama)

I guess we can assume he's not coming back, then.

EDIT: One thing about Walsh is that casting him would be sort of analogous to Rusty casting Piper and Tate - famous names but not really known for their acting abilities. Obviously Moffat took a different approach to casting companions.

He rather publicly burned his bridges with the production team in the aftermath of series 8, and has spent most of his time since being a bit of a shithead on Twitter.

Wikipedia is a little coy on any past controversies in this particular writer's biography. Is this the kind of thing I should look for in old WhoGAF threads? Or is it just another case of chronic drunk-tweeting?

His Twitter feed is pretty high on alt-right stuff. I liked some of his episodes, I guess I've got someone for the Milkshake Duck thread now.

Well that sucks. I like all his episodes.

If there's one positive to come out of Trump getting elected (there isn't) it's that all the worst types of people are getting exposed, now that being an alt-right fascist is cool again.

Top Bottom