• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

181 confirmed dead, number expected to double - Victoria burns

Status
Not open for further replies.

santouras

Current figures

death Toll: 181 and expected to rise as far as 300 or more as more areas are searched
homes: over 950 destroyed

link to latest news

This is now the greatest natural disaster in Australian History

Donation efforts

Australian Cricketers donate match fees to relief fund. In addition, Commonwealth bank has donated 1 million and will donate $100 for every run and $1000 for every six hit in todays game. not sure if this is just for the australian batting or if it includes NZ as well

Coles will donate profits from friday feb13 to bushfire appeal

Commonwealth Bank have setup an account for those without credit cards that can directly transfer money into. There are also links there for credit card donations which of course anyone internationally can donate into.

Donation warnings
Unfortunately in times like these some scum will pose as taking donations for a well known outfit. If you're unsure or suspicious, DON'T DONATE to these people, as there are plenty of legitimate ways to send your money. The australian red cross website and above ccommonwealth bank link are two sure places that australian and international people can go to donate.

How did it get this bad
Bushfires are an accepted part of life in Australia, and they happen regularly throughout the year, however this fire has taken everyone by surprise. There have been some calls that residents should have been warned earlier, and that evacuation calls should have been quicker, but if we put the emotion aside, perhaps nothing could have been done..

• Australia and especially Victoria are going through their worst drought in 100 years
  • A week before this the temperature was +40C for the entire week
  • On saturday Victoria experienced its hottest day ON RECORD, temperatures reaching over 47C
  • There was minimal, only 7%, humidity
  • Winds gusted as strong as 80km/h on that day

This is footage of how quick the fire was moving
Bushfire_Hillside.gif

this is not sped up btw, winds were gusting up to and above 80kmh during the fires

All Australian residents who live in fire risk areas are encouraged to have fire evacuation strategies, and I can attest to them being heavily advertised on TV and everywhere else in the months coming up to the fire season. However the sheer ferocity of this fire caught everyone by surprise. We only have to compare the fires to other tragedies such as the Ash Wednesday Fires of 1983 to see how bad it was. In those fires 75 people died, and as a result of that much better management of fire risk areas and general awareness and preparedness came into being. So whilst the general forest management and undergrowth reduction strategies might be called into question as they should, the response of those trying to fight the fires shouldn't.

0,,6479415,00.jpg

0,,6479430,00.jpg

0,,6480048,00.jpg

0,,6479404,00.jpg

0,,6479406,00.jpg

0,,6479405,00.jpg

-------------------- original post--------------------------

This is being discussed as an addendum to the heatwave in NSW thread but it really deserves more attention. Following a record heatwave last fortnight and yesterdays insane 45degree day, Victoria was covered in fires yesterday and today.
here's a handy google map showing where some fires are and where people have died

Currently the death toll stands at 36 confirmed, however this number is expected to double.... Over 640 homes have also been destroyed.

As is also the case, unfortunately some of the fires are believed to have been deliberately lit. If this is true, I hope those people get charged with murder, which has already been discussed

Yesterday really was disgustingly hot here in Victoria and I cannot imagine the strength that those firefighters will need to get through this period, and I wish them the absolute best. I really hope as well that NSW doesn't go through something this bad as they suffer through a heatwave for the next few days as well

here are some links for those wanting to get up to speed on these events

http://www.theage.com.au/national/death-toll-rises-from-bushfires-20090208-80jv.html
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25023335-1243,00.html

420bushfire2-420x0.jpg

mbn_fire5_gallery__592x400.jpg

majfireman_gallery__600x391.jpg

more photos

xabre

Banned
It peaked at 48c. Ridiculous.

While it's usually pretty silly to tie events to directly to climate change, it does make it all the more likely that events such as this will occur.

I support to the idea to charge arsonists with murder as well. 9/10 it is people deliberately lighting fires that causes things like this to happen.

Mashing

It's just a matter of time until the EArth goes through a severe climate shift. You can already see the signs. Record lows and highs all over the globe.

inner-G

Banned
Mashing said:
It's just a matter of time until the EArth goes through a severe climate shift. You can already see the signs. Record lows and highs all over the globe.
As long as the poles don't flip... :/

althe13

also on the google map:

the one dead in bendigo im yet to find out who it is, the one in strathewen is a sad story, was a freind of a freind. apparently strathewen is gone completely.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
althe13 said:
where are your freinds?
I believe they are in Myrtleford right now. I know they were planning on moving soon, but I havent spoken to either of them in a while.

trinest

Witchfinder General said:
Awful.

I'd gladly give up whatever stimulus cash I get so it can go to those affected by the fire.
I would but I'm gready and I'm not getting stimulus cash.

This is now said to be the worst fire in Aussie history - worse than the Ash Wednesday fires.
650 houses lost
65 people confirmed dead
Fire crews from adjoining states have mobilised to assist even though their state may be having bush fires as well
The Australian defence force has mobilised to assist.

Watching the news - its just horrible. I never thought it would get this bad when I was watching footage of it at 12am in the morning. Absolutely horrendous.

jey_16

Banned
it was like a furnace yesterday....i'm in Melbourne and the heat was unbearable and then today, the weather is perfect.....a bit of rain here and there but a nice cool breeze with temp around 21

some of those fires were only 1/2 hrs drive from where i live and from what i saw, it looks like a war zone, everything is just completely destroyed....apparently it was moving so fast that people did not have time to react! thats just insane

madara

Wow, just wow, deliberately? I cant fathom that. Human lives, animal lives, natural resources, boggle. Yeah something very harsh needs to happen there law wise. My thoughts are with you guys.

xabre

Banned
madara said:
Wow, just wow, deliberately? I cant fathom that. Human lives, animal lives, natural resources, boggle. Yeah something very harsh needs to happen there law wise.

It always happens. If there was no arson things like this simply wouldn't happen. I don't know how these people live with themselves.

santouras

xabre said:
It always happens. If there was no arson things like this simply wouldn't happen. I don't know how these people live with themselves.
There would have still been fires without arsonists. You would have idiots not thinking clearly (cigarette butts), things sending off sparks (overstressed aircon units dieing), and some dry leaves and tinder will actually combust if it gets hot enough. Then you have lightning too, which we didn't have to worry about yesterday, but does start bushfires.

but yes, certainly would be nowhere near as bad.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
How could people deliberately set fire like this ? Those people need to be publicly tied up and burn to death... I also get very bothered seeing people throw their still-burning cigarette on the ground without a care in the world. Things like that also start fire easily during summer :(

xabre

Banned
santouras said:
There would have still been fires without arsonists. You would have idiots not thinking clearly (cigarette butts), things sending off sparks (overstressed aircon units dieing), and some dry leaves and tinder will actually combust if it gets hot enough.

No doubt. But a big part of the problem is often not enough resources to deal with the fire fronts in various locations at once. Take arson out of the picture and the ability to address fires becomes at lot easier.

Are all the deaths Fire related or are they Heat related?
I remember last week over 30 people died because of the heat and the state government telling everyone not to use their air-conditioners.

Tntnnbltn

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/08/2485538.htm
Arson suspected

CFA officials say they suspect at least one arsonist of relighting fires that had burnt out, and lighting new fires ahead of existing fire fronts.

"To think you could do that yesterday in those conditions when you knew that any fire you lit had the potential to cause severe losses and death, I think that's something that is just appalling," said Victorian Emergency Services Minister, Bob Cameron.

Federal Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull added to the calls to hunt down firebugs.

"It is difficult to imagine a more horrific crime than arson," he said in Sydney.

"All Australians will expect the authorities to want the police to... be absolutely relentless in tracking down those responsible and ensuring they're brought to justice."

Victoria has accepted an offer from the Federal Government for the Defence Force to be drafted in to help with the fires.

The Emergency Services Minister, Bob Cameron, says the army has bulldozers and other equipment that can be used to strengthen containment lines.

Tntnnbltn

Currently watching the coverage on Nine. There's some disturbing images. The cars which were burnt while people were trying to outrun the fires... It's just haunting.

Just saw two kids on there, probably about the age of my nephew and niece. Made me think of how many children wouldn't have made it out.

santouras

in the end the loss of life might be worse than the ash wednesday fires...

weather guy said there has been lightning strikes as well.... :-/

I always thought arsonists, as bad as they are are simply easy scapegoats for these bush fires.

You can't really blame anyone(the fires would have happened regardless) so just blame it on the easy, but admittedly pretty fair target.

It can still misrepresent what people really need to worry about these fires though in a sense that news orgs will focus on that one group of people or a person instead of simply focusing on the actual things you can do to minimize the risk(better brush control, controlled burns, etc.).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
santouras said:
in the end the loss of life might be worse than the ash wednesday fires...

weather guy said there has been lightning strikes as well.... :-/

Temp has dropped a bit but the wind is still bad and the lightning is just starting up here.

santouras

having come from WA I can see that WA has much better control procedures in place. Sure people get angry at the smoke haze that happens everynow and then from the controlled burning, but there aren't as severe bushfires due to the better management. Of course the eastern states are more densely populated, but still, something more has to be done.

legend166

no dealth penalty.

This is really horrible. I went to bed last night knowing there were fires, but never thinking this would happen. I thought homes would get burnt out, but that's it.

Damn.

xabre

Banned
From what I've heard about the speed and ferocity of the fires it sounds like a firestorm.

A firestorm is a conflagration which attains such intensity that it creates and sustains its own wind system. It is most commonly a natural phenomenon, created during some of the largest bushfires, forest fires, and wildfires. The Great Peshtigo Fire and the Ash Wednesday fires are two examples of a firestorm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom