• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Georgia Swamp Wild Fire causing evacuations, burning almost 200 square miles

Kaladin

Firefighters are battling to prevent a fire in a southern Georgia wildlife refuge from spreading, authorities said.

The Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge said in a statement that "extremely dangerous burning conditions persist" and that 11,000 acres (4,450 hectares) have been consumed by fire in the past two days. The community of St. George is under a mandatory evacuation order and Charlton County schools have been closed Monday. Wind gusts and dry conditions were raising the risk of the fire spreading.

Evacuations in the St. George area have led to the closure of Charlton County schools for both students and staff, according to a statement from the district. Firefighters are using St. George Elementary School as a staging area for firefighters.

According to Inciweb, the West Mims fire has scorched aboutn 200 square miles in the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge and is 12 percent contained. Conditions have not been ideal for firefighters attempting to control the blaze. Temperatures are warm, the air is dry and winds have been gusting out of the north, weather.com meteorologist Brian Donegan said.

Some 535 personnel has been assigned to fight the fire, along with 10 helicopters, 55 wildland fire engines, bulldozers and other equipment, the statement said.

The area, on the Georgia-Florida line, is also under a dense smoke advisory that is expected to impact visibility in the towns of St. George, Callahan, Ratliff and northern Duval County near the Jacksonville International airport. Some road closures were in effect and the main entrance to the refuge was closed.

A temporary shelter has been opened in the gymnasium at the Folkston Elementary School. County Administrator Shawn Boatright said it will stay open indefinitely.

"We're not sure what's going to happen right now, so it's open until further notice," he said.

He encouraged residents to bring whatever personal items they might need for an extended shelter stay.

The wildfire was sparked by lightning April 6 and has since burned almost entirely within the Okefenokee refuge boundaries – and some public forest land in north Florida – for the past month. However, fire spread to private land around the refuge Friday.

According to Inciweb, the fire will not likely be fully contained until November.

Meanwhile, in Florida’s Pasco County, north of Tampa, firefighters were battling a massive wildfire in Starkey Wilderness Park that grew to 2,275 acres over the weekend.

River Ridge Middle School, River Ridge High School and Cypress Elementary School were closed Monday due to excessive smoke after the fire started Saturday.

The park is closed until further notice. The cause of the fire remains unknown.

tFH3NQ1.jpg

j0BR1lk.jpg

https://www.wunderground.com/news/georgia-west-mims-wildfire?__prclt=4foGTZwX

This thing is barely contained and is starting to cause evacuations of towns east of the swamp. I live about 70 miles west of where this is all happening and I hope it doesn't spread this way. We got some terrible smoke in our area from a 2011 fire in the same area. I hope the folks that have been evacuated remain safe, and I worry what this thing can do by November.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stay safe folks. This is going to be the new normal I'm afraid. And our government is doubling down on some of the root causes.

But hey, at least that's one swamp drained.

Breads

Banned
Yeah the smoke is pretty wide reaching. It's been lingering in the air over here for the last two days.

Been a few years since the last fires like this over here.

Top Bottom