• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Southern US in major drought - Fires now raging (thanks climate change!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
11 Alive Atlanta

Smoke from wildfires in the North Georgia wildfires continued to drift into the metro Atlanta area on Thursday.

Residents across the metro begin seeing -- and smelling -- the smoke on Wednesday.

11Alive Chief StormTracker Chris Holcomb explained that there are multiple sources of the smoke.

Fires in Rabun County, which authorities suspect was started by an arsonist, wree responsible for much of the smoke Wednesday. A fire in Rouge Ridge in northwest Georgia that has burned more than 10,000 acres is also blowing smoke our way.

The extreme dry weather, low humidity, and current fire danger rating make outdoor burning an unsafe act, according to Johns Creek Fire Marshal Chad McGiboney. In that community, authorities temporarily prohibited outdoor burning due to current weather conditions.

NASA

southeast_tmo_2016312_lrg.jpg

Wildfires in the southeastern United States are usually small and do not produce much smoke compared to the big blazes in the western United States, Canada, or Russia. But a cluster of fires in Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky in November 2016 defied that trend.

On November 7, 2016, the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) instrument on NASA’s Terra satellite observed thick plumes of smoke streaming from forests in the southern Appalachians. Extreme drought fueled the outbreak of fires, and strong winds spread smoke broadly across the Southeast.

The ongoing—and in some areas record-breaking—drought began in May 2016 and intensified throughout the summer. By November, data from the U.S. Drought Monitor showed exceptional drought—the highest level on the scale—across parts of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. All of the American Southeast, except for coastal areas, faced at least moderate drought.

WedgeX

Banned
How long before burn bans are done away with under Trump's two regulation cuts for each new regulation system?

Yeah it's been smoky in Knoxville since Monday. It's kinda pleasant to always smell like a bonfire outside, but not at this cost.

We're in the middle of something weird in Colorado right now, too.

We normally get our first snow in mid to late October. It's approaching the middle of November and we've barely had any nights below freezing, let alone any precipitation. We've been on a high fire danger status for a while because of it.

hamboner

Neo Member
A fog of smoke descended on my town on election day from all the nearby forest fires. It was spooky as fuck and apparently was an omen for things to come that night.

MogCakes

It will only get worse - much worse, and all the political strife and conflicts of our time will become footnotes as the planet retaliates against us in ways dictators couldn't dream of. We have literally doomed our successors. We are an abject failure as a species.

noshten

Climate change? These fires are caused by smug liberals talking down to rural country folk.

Clearly

Maybe it should have been something Hillary's campaign focused on instead of foreign policy, Russia, Wikileaks, BernieBros, Deplorables or even Trump himself.

I don't know what snark is going to do in terms of changing opinions on Climate Change when even with 700 million raised Hillary spend the majority of her money on ads that were simply highlighting how much of an idiot Trump is. Instead of being out there talking about issues and highlighting them to the public she was raising more money to attack Trump.

There is a disconnect with expecting people to be informed about issues that they don't deem immediately life threatening. Katrina happening didn't change how LA voted
Trump won Florida and Louisiana two of the most effected by Climate change states. But yes keep talking about how rural voters don't care when it's true for the large majority of voters. Until they and their families are in danger they don't care about such issues and it takes a lot of effort, money and time to educate them. Hillary had an year and a half and now instead of blaming her - we blame the guy who said Climate Change is a hoax and the Chinese caused it

In central Texas the highs were in the 80's until last week. If this keeps up summer is going to last for seven or months a year. That will probably kill the agriculture around here.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah the only water this part of the South East has seen has been from the Hurricane. Outside of that been nada. Plus the Hurricane didn't even hit for large swaths of GA and SC.
We hit a record 55 days in a row without "measurable" rainfall earlier this week.

Lubricus

The wind is supposed to change Saturday to an east wind. That will help clear the air.
As bad as the fires are, they may have a beneficial effect in the long run. It's been a long time since some forests have burned. They need that fire cycle to help renew the forest.

I gotta say, blaming climate change on Trump is more than a little ridiculous. Given that each and every one of us have contributed to it our entire lives and as a whole continue to do so at an exponentially increasing rate.

RPGCrazied

I gotta say, blaming climate change on Trump is more than a little ridiculous. Given that each and every one of us have contributed to it our entire lives and as a whole continue to do so at an exponentially increasing rate.

Uh. He thinks its a hoax. He wants to end the Paris agreement. It WILL affect climate change. If you can't see this your in denial.

Servbot24

Banned
A drought on its own does not mean there is climate change any more than a cold winter means there isn't any. We don't need to stoop to those types of comments when actual scientific proof of climate change is in abundance.

samn

You do know he was elected President and plans to stop all attempts by the USA to do anything about it, right? That is kind of a big deal. Big topic at the moment.

Uh. He thinks its a hoax. He wants to end the Paris agreement. It WILL affect climate change. If you can't see this your in denial.

Denial? You want to stop climate change? Stop using cars, stop using air conditioning, stop eating meat. In fact ban all those things and a shitload more and then convert the entire hydrocarbon infrastructure to renewables.

Trump is a gigantic douchenozzle but western attempts to combat climate change are window dressing. We are likely already past several tipping points and I don't see most people giving enough of a fuck to change even the tiniest fraction of their lifestyle.

PSqueak

Banned
The future is looking less Jetsons/Futurama and more Fallout/Mad Max with each passing day.

Well, technically speaking, the jetsons lived in their sky towers because the earth had become an impossible to live in polluted mess as shown in the movie where george raises their home above a massively polluted sky.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The smoke has made its way to Athens as well. A visual reminder of our choices and how fucked we are.

I wonder if it's still bad tomorrow how that it will effect the football game. It's at Sanford stadium. Could effect performance on the field as well as attendance at the game.

MUnited83

For you.
I gotta say, blaming climate change on Drumpf is more than a little ridiculous. Given that each and every one of us have contributed to it our entire lives and as a whole continue to do so at an exponentially increasing rate.

He think it's a hoax. He is going to repeal the Paris agreement, He's going to lift all restrictions in polluting businesses.
The world was heading to the abyss but there was a sliver of hope that we could do something.
Trump is going to make sure the entire world is completely fucked under the next 10 years.

It's like we were in a high-speed car into the abyss and he just upgraded us to a jet flying at the speed of sound.

He think it's a hoax. He is going to repeal the Paris agreement, He's going to lift all restrictions in polluting businesses.
The world was heading to the abyss but there was a sliver of hope that we could do something.
Trump is going to make sure the entire world is completely fucked under the next 10 years.

He'll burn down the house in 3 minutes instead of 5, is what I'm saying. All of us set it on fire. And there's no fire brigade for the Earth.

We contribute based on the freedoms and opportunities given to us by our leaders. We could all have electric cars and renewable power now. That's not on us. Trump and his administration backing off from climate treaties, stripping funding, and returning us to coal and oil will devastate the world.

Squalor

Weren't these fires caused by flaming homosexuals?

I'm pretty sure that's what the religious Right told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom