• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US drought report: 83 percent of California free from drought after months of storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

akileese

Texas had a rainy period (at least in North Texas) that was so bad it wiped away the 15 year drought or however bad it was in about six weeks. Much like California we pretty much had torrential storms and massive flooding for about two months.

2nd pic in the OP is about 2 miles from where I live. That sinkhole fucking destroyed the road. There were tons of other rock and mud slides on that same road as well. I'm just glad my commute is in the opposite direction or I'd be fucked.

pablito

I live in Norcal and yeah this is the most rain I can remember getting since the floods in the 90s.

They should keep the restrictions, though. We're not out of this yet.

studyguy

I live in Norcal and yeah this is the most rain I can remember getting since the floods in the 90s.

They should keep the restrictions, though. We're not out of this yet.

Most counties made ordinances enforceable for years and conservation efforts part of infrastructure improvements, so we as a state should be a bit better off once the water works stops for the next time.

really wish they wouldn't announce that the drought is over (even on a location basis). I'd rather people still conserved, now we'll have people washing out their garbage bins and sidewalks again. fuckin ridiculous.

Terrible idea.

The moment it become clear that the Government is claiming there is a drought when there isn't one for the sake of "conservation" people will never take drought restrictions seriously again.

Souzetsu

WuBwRa7.png

Misinterpreted this earlier; it's damn nice to see some white on this map.

Glad to see us out of the deep red, now just regular red. :)

Snagret

Wow, I used to live in Sacramento and the last time I saw Folsom Lake that full was when I was a child. Glad to see CA get some relief, I wonder how long it'll last

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah it's been raining a ton here in the Bay Area. I have to walk over a mile in it every day, but I don't complain not for a second haha. Anything to pull our state out of the desperate situation it was facing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is great news to hear. I saw pictures of some of the larger bodies of water out there and it was just so depressing.

Madness

The weekly drought report by government and academic water experts showed 42 percent of the state free from drought. This time last year, 97 percent of the state was in drought.

I like the phrasing of this sentence. The state is now 42 percent free of drought when last year it was 97 percent in drought as opposed to the fact that 58% of the state still remains in a drought.

I hope the drought restrictions remain but pressure from farmers and others will be tough on the governor now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
How quickly does the over drawn groundwater replenish?

My region is, as of yesterday, 218% FOR THE YEAR. Also, beating the pants off the wettest year on record, 82/83, for this point in the year.

Ac30

I like the phrasing of this sentence. The state is now 42 percent free of drought when last year it was 97 percent in drought as opposed to the fact that 58% of the state still remains in a drought.

I hope the drought restrictions remain but pressure from farmers and others will be tough on the governor now.

I'd like to think, since your state actually believes in climate change and understands the implications, that they'd keep the regulations in place - it's only going to get worse

Boogie9IGN

Those pics have me grinning like an idiot. The only bad thing about all this rain is when it gets so bad that I can just barely make out the taillights of the car in front of me and nothing else -_-

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
On the SF ferry commute home from work, the boat had to move around a lot of debris floating in the bay...I guess a bunch of runoff from the various rivers finally made its way down.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
There goes my hopes of something softening the rising home prices :(

I guess its still good news

:(

Those pics have me grinning like an idiot. The only bad thing about all this rain is when it gets so bad that I can just barely make out the taillights of the car in front of me and nothing else -_-

So do I. Now all those dumbass red states who keep talking about California having no water and needing their supposed water.

Not out of this yet, but we're in far better shape now than we were even two years ago. Even the path to the Merced river is flowing proudly now. Almost makes me wanna innertube that and go toobin.

You shouldn't tell California that. They will go back to watering their lawns.

As someone who lives here, it's not as if people stopped. Really, really glad that we've been getting these storms. Bet you that those dumb "Government Sponsored Dust Bowl" signs along I5 won't be going anywhere though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It seems really irresponsible to say we arent in a drought when our aquifers have been drawn down so far and would take 1/2 a century to recharge WITHOUT any further pumping. California's water usage is not remotely sustainable.

It seems really irresponsible to say we arent in a drought when our aquifers have been drawn down so far and would take 1/2 a century to recharge WITHOUT any further pumping. California's water usage is not remotely sustainable.

Human existence as it is now isn't sustainable. Oh well!

"Drove" down the 405 the other day and I couldn't believe how green the Santa Monica mountains looked, I hope the rain continues but sucks for those dealing with damages and floods.

darklin0

Banned
The idiots who want to reverse water regulation are going to come back in droves.
I hope that we don't regress and continue to put ourselves into the same dry hole we have been in for years.

Out of curiosity, is the rain expected to stop anytime soon? It seems like it rained there recently, so in theory it could continue raining. While California doesn't need 15 years of rain within a few months span, it does desperately need water. I guess California can take what it can get with climate change drastically effecting the region.

Out of curiosity, is the rain expected to stop anytime soon? It seems like it rained there recently, so in theory it could continue raining. While California doesn't need 15 years of rain within a few months span, it does desperately need water. I guess California can take what it can get with climate change drastically effecting the region.

forecast basically shows it raining every other day... who knows for how long!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Snowpack update:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/snow-total-Sierra-snowfall-24-feet-Heavenly-Squaw-10855792.php

The Tahoe area hasn't seen this much snow in six years.

The seasonal snowfall totals for elevations above 8,000 feet are now at 24 feet.

In the last nine days alone, Heavenly has seen 170 inches, Kirkwood 151 inches and Squaw more than 102 inches.

"We're looking at some pretty remarkable snow totals," says Eric Kurth, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service (NOAA) in Sacramento. "We haven't seen any totals like this over the course of a week since 2011."

The bulk of the snow came from a series of atmospheric rivers walloping Northern California in January. NOAA Meteorologist Jim Matthews explains these were high-moisture, warmer storms and the snow has a high water content.

"Back in 2011 we had very snowy conditions but colder storms which resulted in skier friendly snow and resulted in more powder," Matthews said. "We've had a lot of atmospheric rivers storms that carry a lot of moisture. This year it's more Sierra cement, a wet, heavy snow."

There's a bit of a dry period now for a few days, but looks like another big storm is heading to the Bay Area sometime next week.

studyguy

What.....define constantly lol

Apparently we hadn't had a day of rain that reached above .3 inches since Feb last year till October, then it was constant (not saying heavy every day, but showers at least that hit above .3 to even above 1in) into late November. So good stuff.

Dirtsaw

Snowpack update:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/snow-total-Sierra-snowfall-24-feet-Heavenly-Squaw-10855792.php

There's a bit of a dry period now for a few days, but looks like another big storm is heading to the Bay Area sometime next week.

The 24 ft is very misleading, theres only about 8ft of snow at 8k ft elevation. The rest got washed away with rain last weekend. Makes for great pics of the rivers but does not solve the drought. Still a long way to go and you might as well flip a coin as to how we end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom