• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

National Weather Service: Northern California on pace for "wettest water year" ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0nz0

Well it sounds good and dandy... But CA seriously needs to up its water saving infrastructure.. or else were gonna rely on snow pack.. as we always do..

Don't get me wrong this is good news.. but theres more the state could do to prevent droughts from becoming a norm

studyguy

Wasn't Cali supposed to run out of water like a year ago? I remember a bunch of threads about it

Many counties technically did but it happens in a number of ways. When a reservoir is tapped, well on a property goes dry, or federal water is rationed a number of different things happen.

Places like the Central Valley tell farmers tough titty and the people simply let farms/fields go fallow or switch over crops if possible. Places like Santa Cruz impose extremely strict water conservation legislation to fine even the smallest water abuse. Other counties will enact tax breaks for digging up lawns based on how much you replace, etc.

majik13

Feel like its been raining pretty regularly for months already in the bay area. Well keep it coming I guess

Wasn't Cali supposed to run out of water like a year ago? I remember a bunch of threads about it

We are getting a lot of rain which does nothing about the drought it just causes a lot of commuter and infrastructure messes. Its a damn awful tease. The state needs snow and lots of it for several years in a row to even begin to make a dent on the drought.

I've been loving the rain but there's a part of our street that looks like a goddamn swimming pool and another spot that smells like I don't even know what.

Many counties technically did but it happens in a number of ways. When a reservoir is tapped, well on a property goes dry, or federal water is rationed a number of different things happen.

Places like the Central Valley tell farmers tough titty and the people simply let farms/fields go fallow or switch over crops if possible. Places like Santa Cruz impose extremely strict water conservation legislation to fine even the smallest water abuse. Other counties will enact tax breaks for digging up lawns based on how much you replace, etc.

Yep.

Y'all should see the sheer amount of trees that got cut down this winter in my town.

Phew.

Babyshams

A big problem with this rainy season is it will be a very warm one, which means it will melt and carry off a lot of snow. This will cause a lot more run off and fill our reservoirs a lot more. The problem is that when you take away snow pact you are taking away future water.

So our reservoirs will get filled now but we will have less supply from snow melt later in the summer.

We are also still in flood control season so reservoirs have to be kept at lower than maximum for flood storage in the event of a major storm. This causes us to have to release water when we are not full, this angers people because they don't understand how the state water project works.

studyguy

A big problem with this rainy season is it will be a very warm one, which means it will melt and carry off a lot of snow. This will cause a lot more run off and fill our reservoirs a lot more. The problem is that when you take away snow pact you are taking away future water.

So our reservoirs will get filled now but we will have less supply from snow melt later in the summer.

We are also still in flood control season so reservoirs have to be kept at lower than maximum for flood storage in the event of a major storm. This causes us to have to release water when we are not full, this angers people because they don't understand how the state water project works.

That absolutely a problem, you see it happen extremely quickly now on virtually every mountain in SoCal. Snowboarding season for my crew gets shorter and shorter each year. Shit sucks for just personal enjoyment, but it absolutely impacts projections for growth in my own line of work as well since clients are basically rationing out their water supply for irrigation from the jump of a new year.

Babyshams

I thought that was supposed to be last year with the whole El Nino thing that didn't end up producing a lot of storms as anticipated?

I work for the state, I was told to review flood procedures because our reports say its supposed to be a warm storm and to expect a lot of snow melt and extra runoff.

Edit: I should clarify, I was told it was gonna be a warm storm, I reviewed flood procedures on my own cause I'm a good employee #humblebrag

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I work for the state, I was told to review flood procedures because our reports say its supposed to be a warm storm and to expect a lot of snow melt and extra runoff.

Sure, that's this next storm system coming in. You had said "this rainy season will be a very warm one" so I assume you meant generally over the next several months it'll be warmer than usual like an El Nino pattern.

Babyshams

Sure, that's this next storm system coming in. You had said "this rainy season will be a very warm one" so I assume you meant generally over the next several months it'll be warmer than usual like an El Nino pattern.

I guess I kind of merged thoughts there. This upcoming storm is supposed to be warm. I don't know about future storms but the general consensus that was put out was to expect the season to be warm as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So after the recent storms, over a foot of rain has dropped in a few locations, there's a bunch of various flooding issues around the Bay Area (particularly for the river areas), and enough snow has falled up in the Sierras that highways and ski resorts have closed at various points. I think I-80 is still closed near the Nevada border due to a blizzard warning.

TheYanger

Can confirm, front yard has been a swamp all year so far, and all of the roads near the American River here that usually close during flooding, are closed from flooding most of the time.

It's odd to think about it like this, but it feels nice. We used to have constant flood warnings growing up and it hasn't happened in ages. I don't want actual flooding, but it legitimately used to be an annual occurance. Floodgates literally been opened for the first time in like, idk 11 or 12 years?

finalflame

Used to live in FL. Moved to SF. Californians are REALLY sensitive about rain. What we got here last weekend would be classified as a heavy drizzle in Florida, not even remotely close to a "storm".

Crazy shit.

studyguy

Used to live in FL. Moved to SF. Californians are REALLY sensitive about rain. What we got here last weekend would be classified as a heavy drizzle in Florida, not even remotely close to a "storm".

Crazy shit.

My cousin's little kid was literally asking him if they owned a boat, he's in first grade and he says he's never seen this much rain ever lmao. I don't blame the kid, sure feels like it.

Still have a long way to go, but more rain is great for once.

Crazy shit.

It takes way less rain to flood our municipal centers because the general lack of precipitation means storm drains are perpetually clogged. That and our bone dry roads surface a lot of oils they've stored since the last rain.

But yeah we don't handle rain well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Crazy shit.

I also used to live in Florida.

This was definitely a storm. It was coming down pretty damn hard here.

I mean, obviously it isn't like a hurricane. And there is no lightning. But still, rain we have been getting has been legit.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Is the problem people driving too fast or too slow in rain?
I know you probably won't see this but the answer is both. If there's no traffic people will be speeding while others will be driving slow as fuck and peppering the brake pad constantly. If there's is traffic (most likely will be) there will be people still trying to drive fast (in carpool and onramp lanes that don't merge). It's a complete shit show. Either expect to be late to work or expect to see someone spin out smh.

Even here in Southern California, been raining for several days now. The mountains behind my school have tons of vegetation on them, and I've never seen them like that before, looks pretty.

But this also means more Snow in the mountains, I was in Big Bear Lake a few weeks ago, and there was already quite a bit of snow in the region, time to go again!! :D

VeeP

Crazy shit.

I've lived in New York, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, and now California. That was a "storm".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom