• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flood WARNING for all of Northern/Central California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
I'll take a picture of the creek outside my apartment when it hits my bottom step, it's crazy. Neighbor says it's happened in years prior

I'm in the outside Sacramento area

If you expect the flooding to get bad enough to reach your steps, shouldn't you think about leaving?

Mother Nature: "Oh, you didn't like that drought the past couple of years? HAVE A FLOOD, BITCHES."

California: "We're just saying a little middle ground would be nice..."

It's been extremely wet the past couple of months

RZviLMh.png

NorCal needs to transport some of their water to the severe drought areas in SoCal

Kadin

Oh man, does this mean the Oroville area is fucked?
Yesterday a video on weather.com seemed to indicate that officials there felt the dam would be fine with the incoming weather today. I know early yesterday they were around 49ft lower than when the spillway incident happened so it seems all should be fine.

"Officials at the Oroville Dam said the reservoir levels are low enough to accept the incoming storm runoff safely."

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm in the Shenandoah Valley/sierra foothills and it's been a steady rain so far today. Nothing terrible as my wife and I are out visiting family, but it's supposed to be pretty bad tonight, and really windy.

Negaduck

Prayers to everyone that is getting mad flooded, hope you and yours are safe.

Fresno has been pretty wet, but nothing too crazy in regards to actual flooding. At least not in my area of town

I've been wanting this rain for a while, I am on well water where I live. But at this point, my wells are full and I need things to dry out. Really hope the two creeks on the property don't flood.....

I'm in Roseville and there are Flooded signs everywhere. I don't think it's stopped raining since last night. This is crazy, haven't seen anything like this ever I think. Wind was legit nuts last night as well. Fuck it's pouring right now

Stay safe y'all

Even in the past years, water has flooded the front walkway. I just hope it doesn't reach the door. When we had new flooring put in a couple summers ago, I put down an extra barrier sheet to keep moisture from coming up through the concrete. At least we're getting a momentary break.

RedHill

Banned
All of NorCal is not in danger. A good chunk including mine is below watch level. The real concern is the Oroville dam (which is stable rn)

studyguy

All our streets out here in socal have been taking a fucking beating. There's pothole after pothole thanks to heavy rainfall. It's a bit worrisome just driving to work now having to dodge a giant ass hole.

This last storm shut down the 101 north. My family up in Monterrey had their god damn neighborhood fences all blown over with trees getting felled by wind. Further north you go the worse it is, but this is all ignoring what happens when the snowfall in the mountains melts too so it's gonna be tough for a while.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Uh-oh, hope GAFers down there are safe. Your soil is just not used to absorbing that kind (quite a fair amount in a short period of time) of precipitation levels I'm afraid. Best wishes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Levee-breached-evacuations-ordered-in-San-10946717.php

MANTECA, Calif. (KCRA) — A levee near Manteca was breached Monday night, leading to mandatory evacuations in the area, according to San Joaquin County officials.

Mandatory evacuations were ordered for people living within the below boundary:

— South of Woodward Avenue
— West of Union Road
— North of Airport Road
— East of the Stanislaus River

Officials said the levee is near farmland and there are not many homes in the area. An evacuation center is being set up at the Lathrop Community Center.

Mariolee

Live in Sac. This is insane. With my parents' care home it's not as if we can just pack it all up.

Edit: As I understand it, doesn't seem like Sac will be uber flooded.

f0nz0

In sac roughly a block from American River, it's been the highest I've ever seen since 2003 when moved here..

But yeah it seems Sacramento proper is not in the flood zone... Stay safe people in surrounding areas

v1lla21

280 was crazy apparently and I could barely see shit while driving home north on 101. Got the exit to my house just to see that it was flooded and rather deep. Powered through that sucker. My neighbors palm tree is fucked now though. It covered the whole street in its leaves.

darklin0

Banned

SkyOdin

I live in an area of Sacramento that isn't in the flood plain, but I'm still a little nervous. I hope the rest of you remain safe.

Manzanas

Neo Member
There's a park by my house that has a creek and a pond that have been dried up for a few years. Today I felt like running in the pouring rain with some good music
I love rain
and I wanted to see how the park looked. Well the pond and creek were over filled and the creek was raging with muddy water and a bunch of debris like tree branches. I just stopped and watched for a few minutes. It was pretty relaxing. I didn't have my phone with me (didn't want to get it wet) but the creek looked something like this:
Falls-Park-Raging-Water.jpg

Its strange having something that was dried up dirt just a few months ago being a raging looking river.

Stockton here. Damn this is scary shit. Hopefully the rain stops but it's been pretty consistent with some crazy ass wind...

The problem with the flooding is that it might break some of the levees which might cascade the whole system down. Many of these infrastructure are way too old and crumbling already as it is and an especially bad deluge might break a few.

The whole California water control system is actually dual purpose: to control flooding and provide water in the dryer months. It would suck for the state to get flooding and then a water emergency since there won't be water in the dryer months.

Brown or a new governor really need to start a huge infrastructure maintenance project in the state. New shiny things are good and all but the unsexy maintenance stuff is just as important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom