• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flood WARNING for all of Northern/Central California

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
[tinyletter]

This is an urgent and important message, so I'll keep it short. If you're in a hurry, please read and retweet this message.

If you have family or friends in northern or central California—please get in touch with them on Monday morning, or sooner. The seriousness of the potential flood that is inbound on Monday and Tuesday cannot be overstated.

I just got off the phone with a NWS meteorologist at the Sacramento office, Bill Rasch, and he said they are increasingly concerned about the potential for the incoming atmospheric river to cause substantial or even historic flooding with little immediate notice. They are urging people to prepare to evacuate with less than 15 minutes warning, and expecting flooding in places that haven't flooded in "many years." As far as the this sort of dire wording, they have tentative plans to "take it up a notch" tomorrow—this is the real deal, a situation that likely hasn't hit California in decades, or maybe much longer.

HhOMSXc.jpg

Here's what is causing so much concern: If the atmospheric river stalls, there could be up to a foot of rain in a span of about 36 hours over places that are already flooding—that's a rainfall intensity that isn't expected more than once a century, or even more rare. At risk is the vast network of levees and dams and diversions that literally make modern California what it is, and protect hundreds of thousands of people. If this system is compromised, the scale of disaster would be among the worst in U.S. history. A dire 2011 New York Times magazine piece outlines the scenario. It's not pretty.

NWS Sacramento video: Twitter

New York Times Piece: California’s Next Nightmare

Sulik2

We got 21 inches of rain in under 24 hours in SC in 2015 and it caused massive flooding. I can't even imagine how bad 12 inches in mountains in a fully saturated area after months of rain is going to be. I'm surprised they aren't just doing a blanket evacuation of northern california. Stay safe CA gaffers.

commedieu

Banned
And here I thought the Lord would drown Florida first. Well, if this is what it takes. Hopefully Davy Jones locker has a good view.

Seaquest, out...

Zen Aku

And here I thought the Lord would drown Florida first. Well, if this is what it takes. Hopefully Davy Jones locker has a good view.

Seaquest, out...
Don't :( I just got a nice house down here. Florida ain't so bad if you don't venture out to the boonies. Living in the city is great.

Also it's crazy to think Cali is getting a flood. We were all worried about droughts not so long ago.

Stay safe you guys. Now it's a good time to learn how to swim if you haven't.

Magus1234

I just moved to Sac too :(
The first week I was here it was raining so hard as I went out that the wind just wrecked my umbrella, it was completely useless.

Kadin

I just moved to Sac too :(
The first week I was here it was raining so hard as I went out that the wind just wrecked my umbrella, it was completely useless.
Welcome to the area. This definitely isn't typical as of the late (last few years) but the water (in moderation) is certainly welcome. My dad just finally bought a new umbrella last week and yesterday forgot to take it with him when shopping and got drenched. I just go with a hoodie and hat myself.

Laekon

We got 21 inches of rain in under 24 hours in SC in 2015 and it caused massive flooding. I can't even imagine how bad 12 inches in mountains in a fully saturated area after months of rain is going to be. I'm surprised they aren't just doing a blanket evacuation of northern california. Stay safe CA gaffers.

It's a huge area.

Zackat

Not enough time between all these storms for the ground to take up the water. Pretty crazy considering how dry Cali has been.

dc3k

I'm surprised they aren't just doing a blanket evacuation of northern california
I guess I could see why you would be surprised if you put literally no thought whatsoever into it. Northern California contains almost 15 million people. A blanket evacuation would be the definition of fear mongering stupidity for no reason whatsoever.

I'll take a picture of the creek outside my apartment when it hits my bottom step, it's crazy. Neighbor says it's happened in years prior

I'm in the outside Sacramento area

Really so amazing how fast things can change weather wise. Stay safe everyone and please be smart. Your life is more valuable than staying in a home you have no control over protecting when millions of gallons of water a rushing towards it.

Kadin

Is the rationing of water for lawns and that kind of stuff gone at this point?
They haven't pulled back all those restrictions as of yet, at least that I've seen. Once we get closer to the summer months I'm sure they'll address this.

They haven't pulled back all those restrictions as of yet, at least that I've seen. Once we get closer to the summer months I'm sure they'll address this.
They better not pull back on it. This water isn't gonna last forever and no need to freak out in 5 years again when nothing is left.

Is the rationing of water for lawns and that kind of stuff gone at this point?

I don't think anyone is watering their lawns right now as it is. Everyone is green, now all those to drought tolerant lawns look out if place it's weird. won't look weird in the summer though.

We have had a very wet couple of months up here in Portland as well

I was born in Salinas. I can't even imagine that area flooding...stay safe guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom