• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US drought report: 83 percent of California free from drought after months of storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Some before and after pics of various locations before these 2 weeks of storms and after.

Folsom Lake:
3GiITuf.jpg

uRDURc3.jpg

Truckee River:
gOC9IKS.jpg

Guerneville, right on the Russian River:
5uX05FE.jpg

Lake Oroville:
idrdM53.jpg

Folsom Dam:
z5qbK3E.jpg

Yuba River:
GIpuB2t.jpg

n4gCwUG.jpg

XiaNaphryz

You can still see where the historical water line used to be in the after photo. Tells you how bad the last few droughts have been.

Yeah, there's a bit on Lake Oroville in the article the images came from:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/before-after-storm-California-flood-ca-drought-10851105.php

The rainfall totals from around Northern California for early January are staggering.

Downtown San Francisco has received 5.53 inches of rain since Jan. 1. The last time the city has seen a number higher than this was 1982 when 7.53 inches fell between Jan. 1 and Jan. 11. During last year's El Niño year, S.F. had received close to three inches by this date.

More impressive numbers: The coastal range mountains outside Guerneville, where roads and homes went underwater when the Russian River flooded, has received some 21 inches of rain since Jan. 4.

In Downieville, where the Yuba River gushed with a heavy flow all week, some 23 inches of rain were recorded in the past seven days.

The reservoirs in Northern California have gained some million acres of storage in the past seven days, Michael Anderson, a climatologist with the California Department of Water Resources estimates. And total surface storage for the state is roughly 97 percent of average, with the the total storage for the largest reservoirs being at 111 percent of normal.

Lake Oroville, the state's second-largest reservoir, gained a bit more than 620,000 acre-feet in the first 10 days of January alone.

"That is almost 18 percent of its capacity," Anderson said. "Since Oroville was about 750,000 acre-feet below its storage limits during flood season (a consequence of the drought), they can keep all that water for future use and largely offset storage impacts from the drought."

Since January 1, the Northern Sierra 8-Station Index has seen 15.9 inches of precipitation. That number is a measurement of total liquid from rain and melted snow collected at eight stations in the Northern California mountains running from the Cascades to the northern Sierra.

We are already at "almost 32 percent of the annual average of 50 inches," Anderson said. "As a comparison, in the recent drought, from Jan. 1, 2013 until Feb. 5, 2014 the 8-Station Index only had 16.5 inches inches of precipitation."

Sawneeks

Banned
Man those pictures are intense. We barely got a slight drizzle in SoCal.

Yeah. We haven't had as heavy of a rain like they have been in NorCal but this is still more rain I've seen all at once in a really long time. Despite the traffic it's really quite nice.

Poyunch

I'm dumbfounded that it took only a few days of rain to improve the state so much.

edit: Oh duuhh. Obviously it was rain more up North. Typing from LA.

Surfinn

I live around the Sacramento area and when I drove to work yesterday, fields were so flooded half of the freeway was closed and traffic was miserable. When you looked to the left or right, it wasn't much different than being on the coast of an ocean or lake (water was road level). Golf course nearby is visibly submerged in water and the greens look like little islands (you can only see the green and its flag).

I'm glad we're getting a break now because had it gotten any worse I think the freeway would have been closed at least temporarily. It's been scary out here.

Entire streets/small towns are flooded and some people currently have no way to get into town (without driving hours out of their way).

Fjordson

This has been the most rain I can ever remember in a concentrated period in the Bay Area. Probably been worse storms when I was younger that I don't remember, but this was pretty intense. Roads right by my house (near Almaden / Morgan Hill) were completely flooded and closed for 2-3 days. Never had that before.

This has been the most rain I can ever remember in a concentrated period in the Bay Area. Probably been worse storms when I was younger that I don't remember, but this was pretty intense. Roads right by my house (near Almaden / Morgan Hill) were completely flooded and closed for 2-3 days. Never had that before.

I remember isolated flooding in the late 90s, but yeah it's been a while.

I've seen worse. The el ninos of the past were rain beasts and if one had actually materialized last year coupled with these storms we would be in even much better shape.

Also, anyone else regretting not buying lots of warm weather clothes and jackets on sale when we had heat waves? I'm looking at pile of tank tops and shorts righ now with a sad face.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've loved but in LA for 18 years now, and I can't remember the last time I've seen such consistent rain in such a long stretch of time. It's been practically daily, although I've been inside of the house most of the time. I love the rain!

It's weird that I'm torn about it, though. On one hand, this is rain we sorely needed. On the other, I'm concerned about climate change and its hand in this.

Rur0ni

Coming from Georgia this has been rather light rain in the Bay Area to me, but it's been nice to experience rain again after being here for a few years with practically no rain. Hopefully the overall water conservation practices stay in place.

Pomerlaw

"Few storms?"

It's been raining nearly every week for over 2 months. Some of the storms are dropping several inches of waters in the cities, several feet in the mountains. I haven't seen rain like this since 1997 El Nino.

The lakes and rivers have recovered, that doesn't change the state of the water table. This takes years and years to form. The ground has lowered meters in some places because that old water in the ground is disapearing.

So this is good news, but California still has to take care of water for the future.

Souzetsu

It's been raining almost every day for the past 2 weeks. It's been good.

Also I'm going to the mountains for some snow fun this weekend. Can't wait!

XiaNaphryz

It's january, and you are happy about 42% drought free?????

o_0

I think my brain just twitched a bit.

At this point a year ago, the state was 3% drought free.

And from the second article I linked to in the thread:

Since January 1, the Northern Sierra 8-Station Index has seen 15.9 inches of precipitation. That number is a measurement of total liquid from rain and melted snow collected at eight stations in the Northern California mountains running from the Cascades to the northern Sierra.

We are already at "almost 32 percent of the annual average of 50 inches," Anderson said. "As a comparison, in the recent drought, from Jan. 1, 2013 until Feb. 5, 2014 the 8-Station Index only had 16.5 inches inches of precipitation."

It's been really really really bad the last few years.

antonz

Seems kind of stupid to make such declarations off one winter series of storms. Lets see how the next 2-3 years go before you start waving around free from drought.

Meanwhile that home in Beverly Hills is still using like 27,000 Gallons of water a day.

XiaNaphryz

Santa Cruz faces water shortage after major reservoir pipeline burst:

Despite a barrage of powerful storms throughout Northern California that brought 6.5 inches of rain and flood warnings to Santa Cruz in the last 10 days, the city ended up with a water shortage.

When a major reservoir pipeline split during a deluge in the Santa Cruz Mountains Monday morning, city officials ironically found themselves urging residents to conserve water this week all while the U.S. Drought Monitor declared the drought over in the coastal city and most of Northern California.

The city of Santa Cruz declared a local emergency Wednesday as officials rushed to repair the pipeline deep in the heart of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, along with city infrastructure damaged by the inclement weather.

By Thursday, the water department was testing out a second repair attempt of the ruptured 24.5-inch diameter pipe.

”We'd really appreciate everyone's effort to curtail their use. We ask that everyone continue their efforts until it's all clear," said Eileen Cross, a spokeswoman for the water department. ”It's hard to get your mind around a water shortage when there's so much rain fall."

Santa Cruz Water Department asked its 96,000 customers to reduce water use by 30 percent as city production couldn't keep up with demand. Residents used about 5.3 million gallons of water on Tuesday, which was down from 5.7 million on Monday, according to a city statement. Still, the city could only produce 4.8 million gallons on Tuesday, including 1.1 million imported from the Soquel Creek Water District.

By Wednesday, the city produced 5 million gallons of water, including Soquel imports, while use was at 5.35 million, Cross said. The city has tapped into storage tanks to fill the gap, with about 15 million gallons of water remaining in storage, according to deputy city manager Scott Collins.

”At this point, we're still operating off of our storage," Collins said Thursday morning. ”We're hopeful this fix will hold."

kSgh9kz.jpg

ISopWoK.jpg

Seems kind of stupid to make such declarations off one winter series of storms. Lets see how the next 2-3 years go before you start waving around free from drought.

Meanwhile that home in Beverly Hills is still using like 27,000 Gallons of water a day.

It's not really just one set of storms - it's been a combination of storms going to last November really. These last few weeks have been particularly strong though, yes, but the reservoir increases and snowfall totals wouldn't have reached these current numbers without the previous storms.

That said, their definition of drought doesn't mean we won't ever see drought issues in the future. Of course long term water management still needs to be seriously looked at.

The federal government actually tracks three different kinds of drought:

Meteorological Drought
Meteorological drought is usually defined based on the degree of dryness (in comparison to some ”normal" or average) and the duration of the dry period. Drought onset generally occurs with a meteorological drought.

Agricultural Drought
Agricultural drought links various characteristics of meteorological (or hydrological) drought to agricultural impacts, focusing on precipitation shortages, soil water deficits, reduced ground water or reservoir levels needed for irrigation, and so forth.

Hydrological Drought
Hydrological drought usually occurs following periods of extended precipitation shortfalls that impact water supply (i.e., streamflow, reservoir and lake levels, ground water), potentially resulting in significant societal impacts. Because regions are interconnected by hydrologic systems, the impact of meteorological drought may extend well beyond the borders of the precipitation-deficient area.

SDCowboy

Yeah CA has gotten a TON of snow and rain over the last month or so. It didn't rain this much during the el nino, here in SoCal.

studyguy

Santa Cruz faces water shortage after major reservoir pipeline burst:

It's not really just one set of storms - it's been a combination of storms going to last November really. These last few weeks have been particularly strong though, yes, but the reservoir increases and snowfall totals wouldn't have reached these current numbers without the previous storms.

That said, their definition of drought doesn't mean we won't ever see drought issues in the future. Of course long term water management still needs to be seriously looked at.

The federal government actually tracks three different kinds of drought:

It's worth noting that Santa Cruz as a county enforces some of the strictest public conservation ordinances in California specifically because they're extraordinarily water starved. Like if you talk about California being shitty with water, Santa Cruz is literally the opposite. Santa Cruz is like conservation taken to extremes.

One man went to Hawaii on vacation for eight days, not realizing the flapper in his toilet tank was leaking. When he came back, he had a $4,000 water bill. Others have similar takes of hydrologic horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom