• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California governor Jerry Brown declares state drought conditions officially over

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Gov-Brown-declares-California-drought-to-be-11058201.php

While months of rain have filled reservoirs and turned mountainsides a brilliant green, only Friday did Gov. Jerry Brown declare an official end to the California drought.

The move, which is mostly ceremonial yet a welcome reminder of how dramatically weather conditions have changed, does away with an emergency declaration that three years ago ushered in a period of unprecedented water rationing across the state.

Most of California’s strict conservation rules have already been lifted since the worst days of the drought, and fewer people still shorten their showers or refrain from flushing. The governor’s repeal of the emergency order Friday morning ensures many remaining regulations will be dropped.

Still, Brown warned in a public statement that just because the weather is wetter doesn’t mean water should be wasted.

“This drought emergency is over, but the next drought could be around the corner,” he said. “Conservation must remain a way of life.”

To that end, Brown did not rescind a handful of prohibitions on wasting water, including no hosing down sidewalks or driveways, no watering lawns within 48 hours of rain and no serving water at restaurants without a customer request.

The governor will also continue to require urban water agencies, from big cities to small towns, to report their water use, a drought-era practice that state officials said would encourage conservation.

zoku88

Really? The pittance of water this saves makes this a pretty frivolous regulation.
IIRC, it wasn't really to save water but to keep the drought conditions in everyone's minds.

To be honest, I forgot about that rule since they always ask what you want for drinks anyway.

Xe4

Banned
Great! Now actually put some restrictions on agriculture and maybe you won't nearly run out of water again.

But what do I know...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
He shouldn't have said this.

Now people will think it'll be okay to leave the faucet on while they brush their teeth.

Xe4

Banned
He shouldn't have said this.

Now people will think it'll be okay to leave the faucet on while they brush their teeth.
lol.
Anyways any residential restrictions don't do much anyhow. They're important, don't get me wrong, but the agriculture in California is what uses the vast majority of the water. Far more than any residential or industrial uses.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Waiting for a tweet from trump...

Trump: "See global warming is a Chinese myth it's raining cats & dogs in Cali."

Laekon

Such a stupid thing to do. Yes the flowers have been great and they are still in bloom but the hill sides near where I live are starting to turn yellow already. The trails I ride and hike on are back to dust over concrete hard dirt like the middle of summer. A few months of rain doesn't change years of drought. If the rest of the year is as hot and dry as last year all we have to look forward to is a higher chance of wild fires.

Wilsongt

Such a stupid thing to do. Yes the flowers have been great and they are still in bloom but the hill sides near where I live are starting to turn yellow already. The trails I ride and hike on are back to dust over concrete hard dirt like the middle of summer. A few months of rain doesn't change years of drought. If the rest of the year is as hot and dry as last year all we have to look forward to is a higher chance of wild fires.

I think a lot of the drought lifting has to do with the water shed and underground aquafors being refilled more so than just surface level conditions.

Chumley

Banned
Knowing our luck, we're now going to have another 2 years of no rain at all.

Beginning of this year felt like a dream, now that dream is over.

Aikidoka

I remember listening to a Science Friday episode where the guest/expert said this wet year is expected to happen amidst a drought. IIRC, he was pretty confident that the conditions wouldn't be enough to end the drought.

Time to celebrate!

2r5wMiVzwzdkQujFWiLDieTxT3M=.gif

I hope California uses this to significantly reduce its water consumption. Otherwise in a year or two, we'll be back to draught conditions and everyone will be like "How did that happen!?"

bjork

Wait, you can't hose your walks? I had no idea, but I only do it maybe twice a year and sweep the rest of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom