• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US drought report: 83 percent of California free from drought after months of storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm from the east coast. I moved here to get away from anything that wasn't sunny! :p

Clearly you brought the weather along with you.

Supposed to be dry up here in NorCal for the next 5-6 days after nearly a week straight of rain.

I'd be fine with a storm every other week through Spring...that is actually the sort of weather pattern I remember growing up with here. Races with random stuff thrown into the watet flows along sidewalks was a regular thing walking to school or to the bus stop.

Meanwhile in the world of 'the drought is lifting, but not climate change'

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/cali...o-continue-emergency-drought-regulations.html

The state water board voted to keep the emergency rules in place statewide through the spring, which means prohibitions against wasteful water practices such as hosing off driveways and sidewalks. It also bars local communities from taking action against homeowners trying to conserve water during the declared drought, such as letting lawns go brown.

The current regulations were set to expire Feb. 28. The board also plans to review the rules again in May at the end of the rainy season.

The action comes as Northern California is essentially free of any drought conditions and key reservoirs north of the state capital of Sacramento are nearing capacity and releasing water to handle more rain that's expected. Yet other areas, including Southern California as well as portions of the central and coastal regions, are still considered to have various levels of drought intensity.

It's really unfortunate that stupid shit like using pressurized water to sweep driveways and sidewalks is something that can only be banned under emergency statutes.

And just to show that short-sightedness still runs deep in the more amaranthine sections of california:

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/02/08/68879/despite-objections-state-water-board-extends-droug/

“It is clear that the water supply emergency declared in 2014 is now over,” wrote Paul Jones, the general manager for Riverside County’s Eastern Municipal Water District, in a letter to the water board.

Riverside is in the orange blob of the drought monitor, so still very much in a drought and they're saying 'nah we good let us waste all the water we want.'

It's good for the state. I wish this shit happened every winter or, even better, more moderately throughout the year.

But then it wouldn't be California if it did, I guess.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
all of these asshole saying to release the restrictions are begging for another 10 year drought

fuuuuuuck them

Lets keep the restrictions while we build some new reservoirs and systems for a modern California. We tend to get one of these storm seasons every two decades or so, after a El Niño season so we should plan for the next one. By the time the next one comes around we could have a really good system in place for gathering up all of the water and redistributing it to area's that are prone to drought.

studyguy

188,000 evacuated, emergency declared as California’s massive Oroville Dam threatens floods

About 188,000 residents near Oroville, Calif., were ordered to evacuate Sunday after a hole in an emergency spillway in the Oroville Dam threatened to flood the surrounding area. Thousands clogged highways leading out of the area headed south, north and west, and arteries major and minor remained jammed as midnight approached on the West Coast — though by early Monday, Lake Oroville’s water level had dropped to a point in which water was no longer spilling over, and the crisis appeared to be stabilizing.

Meanwhile hard rain expected all week up there so... Godspeed NorCal, I got friends and family up there literally getting flooded out of their homes atm.

SpecX

Saw that on the news last night. Crazy the amount of damage that spillway took, but not surprised with the amount of rain NorCal has been getting and how much water has been flowing down that thing. Stay safe up there and prepare for this next storm coming.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Update!

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-drought-levels-lowest-since-2011-10954402.php

After a surprisingly few wet winter months, scientists said Thursday that California is 83 percent drought-free compared to just six percent a year ago — the lowest drought levels have been since 2011.

The U.S. Drought Monitor reported that Northern California is completely in the clear and this is the first time in four years that no part of the state is under an “extreme drought” designation.

The only counties in the state showing lingering drought indicators are in the Southern California area, primarily in Santa Barbara, Ventura and Imperial counties.

Despite the rainy weather that’s caused streams and creeks to swell and an abundance of water to overflow reservoirs in California, Richard Heim, the author of the report and a meteorologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said California should still err on the side of caution when it comes to water use.

California has “been in a wet pattern. You’ve been experiencing rain for months,” Heim said. “Still, don’t waste water.”

Some wells, particularly in Southern California, are still producing low groundwater resulting in the severe drought designations for the area. Reservoirs in that region are also producing little runoff, Heim added.

dsXJNFs.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
I'd be fine with a storm every other week through Spring...that is actually the sort of weather pattern I remember growing up with here. Races with random stuff thrown into the watet flows along sidewalks was a regular thing walking to school or to the bus stop.
That's just asking for your arm to get ripped off by a dapper, overtly sinister clown monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom