• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California governor Jerry Brown wants drought water restrictions to be permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Gov-Brown-orders-permanent-water-restrictions-7423288.php

California’s historic drought is bound to come to an end. But the conservation efforts that have become habit for many after four dry years aren’t likely to go away — the governor is making sure of that.

On Monday, Gov. Jerry Brown ordered that a set of urban water restrictions that the state established for the drought be made permanent, including bans on running sprinklers after rain and hosing down driveways. He also said mandatory reductions in water use by cities and towns were here to stay.

In the short term, however, the Brown administration announced plans to drop the strict schedule of water cuts that the state imposed on communities, some of which responded by levying big fines on water-hogging households. Instead, the administration’s proposal would allow water agencies to set their own conservation targets until the permanent measures are finalized.

At a news conference in Sacramento, officials cited the state’s nearly 24 percent drop in water use since June as evidence that residents are taking conservation seriously. From shorter showers to letting lawns die, regulators said they want to be sure the austerity continues, even as rivers and reservoirs benefit from the wettest winter in five years.

“Californians stepped up during this drought and saved more water than ever before,” Brown said in a prepared statement. “But now we know that drought is becoming a regular occurrence, and water conservation must be a part of our everyday life.”

Gov. Brown orders permanent water restrictions for California

By Kurtis Alexander Updated 5:05 pm, Monday, May 9, 2016

MT. LASSEN, CA - JULY 20: A creek flowing through a meadow on the slopes of Mt. Lassen, an active volcano that last erupted in 1915, is viewed on July 20, 2015, in Mt. Lassen National Park, California. After entering the fourth year of drought, reservoirs continue to flucuate at low levels, Governor Jerry 'Edmund' Brown has declared a 'mandatory reduction' on water useage for all of California. Photo: Photo By George Rose/Getty Images

Photo: Photo By George Rose/Getty Images
Image 1 of 32

MT. LASSEN, CA - JULY 20: A creek flowing through a meadow on the slopes of Mt. Lassen, an active volcano that last erupted in 1915, is viewed on July 20, 2015, in Mt. Lassen National Park, California. After
... more

California’s historic drought is bound to come to an end. But the conservation efforts that have become habit for many after four dry years aren’t likely to go away — the governor is making sure of that.

On Monday, Gov. Jerry Brown ordered that a set of urban water restrictions that the state established for the drought be made permanent, including bans on running sprinklers after rain and hosing down driveways. He also said mandatory reductions in water use by cities and towns were here to stay.
Our top stories: Catch every local moment | Share this story on Facebook

In the short term, however, the Brown administration announced plans to drop the strict schedule of water cuts that the state imposed on communities, some of which responded by levying big fines on water-hogging households. Instead, the administration’s proposal would allow water agencies to set their own conservation targets until the permanent measures are finalized.

At a news conference in Sacramento, officials cited the state’s nearly 24 percent drop in water use since June as evidence that residents are taking conservation seriously. From shorter showers to letting lawns die, regulators said they want to be sure the austerity continues, even as rivers and reservoirs benefit from the wettest winter in five years.

“Californians stepped up during this drought and saved more water than ever before,” Brown said in a prepared statement. “But now we know that drought is becoming a regular occurrence, and water conservation must be a part of our everyday life.”

The governor’s executive order directs the State Water Resources Control Board and the Department of Water Resources to develop long-term water reduction plans for each of the state’s 400 largest urban suppliers.

The agencies have been operating since June under a temporary mandate requiring cutbacks of 4 to 36 percent compared with 2013, depending on the provider’s historic water use.

State officials did not say Monday what the new conservation targets will look like, only that they will be working with communities to come up with mandated savings that will probably take effect next year.

In addition, the new permanent regulations will include many of the water no-nos introduced last year with the drought emergency measures. Bans will remain in effect on washing cars without a shut-off nozzle, spraying down hard surfaces like sidewalks and driveways, using potable water in decorative fountains, watering lawns to the point of causing runoff or within 48 hours of rain, and irrigating street medians.

Advocates for the state’s water supplies praised the long-term conservation strategy, which the State Water Board and Department of Water Resources are expected to finalize by January.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Finally. At a certain point, changes just need to be made. Save your water for a rainy day...or...yeah I'll leave now.

harSon

Banned
The purchase of my first new car coincided with the inability to wash cars at home D:

I know it's for the greater good, but still. Paying $23 bucks for a base car wash sucks.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's actually news to me that California is getting out of the drought, good for Cali

Lol?
We had an ok amount of rain because of a weather event that's on around a sixteen year cycle and normally dumps shitloads of rain on us. We're still fucked, especially if people use water like the drought is actually over.

RS4-

Should've fucked over golf clubs that continued to water their lawns and those rich fucks that did the same.

tehfryguy

Interesting,I knew the water was coming back to pre-drought levels but figured they'd let people run wild again once they did. I'm glad they're keeping this into law.

Now let's work out a way to not have the water incredibly wasted on farm land...

toohectic

It's hard for me to believe that we've had enough rain to put us on trend to be out of the drought. Nor Cal must have gotten quite a bit of rain cause it sure doesn't feel like So Cal has gotten much this past winter. El Niño was over hyped and under delivered.

The purchase of my first new car coincided with the inability to wash cars at home D:

I know it's for the greater good, but still. Paying $23 bucks for a base car wash sucks.

Prime Shine is only $7. My old car was gold and the dust/dirt blended right in. I could hardly tell the difference between car and dirt. The hose for the windshield wash was broken, so I'd wash it when the windows got too dirty.

Many of these measures have been long standing in other areas of the country. It's about time California got cracking on it. For most places, lawns are overrated. In fact most lawns are drought tolerant, but you need to allow the roots to grow deep. The taller the green, the longer the roots, the healthier the lawn is. Then it'll survive off of seasonal rain just fine. Shrubbery should always be local/native plants that know how to thrive in dry season. People just need to realize they're wasting water, and cutting back is not going to be detrimental to their health and well being.

Water saving is needed, California's drought seems more and more like the new normal.

That being said, I'd like Jerry more if he didn't peach about how California needs to be careful to avoiding overspending, and then turns around and harps about how we need to spend an estimated 15 billion on twin water tunnels and 68 billion on a high speed rail track that will go from Merced to Burbank. He's an old politician in search of a legacy at this point.

border

why would you want to water your lawn the day after it rained?

Exactly the point -- most people probably aren't even doing that to begin with. How much water is being saved by not allowing people to use a sprinkler after it rains? It's likely a pittance compared to the millions of gallons spent by agricultural companies.

10% of the water use in the state is urban. So even if you could institute and enforce all these asinine rules about showering and watering your lawn......even if you could make everyone reduce their water usage by half......the net effect would only be a 5% savings.

jb1234

Sure but we're all going to have to make sacrifices as the planet heats up. Might as well start now.

Why not just let the price of water reflect how scarce it actually is? I guess the bans are better than nothing, but a correct water price would let people decide for themselves what uses were wastes or essential. IIRC, the subsidized water prices are why so much water gets used in agriculture in California.

Isn't the agricultural use way larger? Maybe they should stop growing almonds!
Why not just let the price of water reflect how scarce it actually is? I guess the bans are better than nothing, but a correct water price would let people decide for themselves what uses were wastes or essential. IIRC, the subsidized water prices are why so much water gets used in agriculture in California.
Water prices like that would cause riots.

akira28

It's actually news to me that California is getting out of the drought, good for Cali

People in North Cali are saying this as loudly as they can, and are salty as fuck because they want to water their artichoke fields.

fuck your artichokes, the state is still in the shit.

I thought agricultural already had heavy restrictions.
Yeah, they use up the most water, but they also produce the majority of the food the US eats.

Car washing is okay as long as there's a shutoff nozzle, right? Which you should be using anyway, drought or no drought.

The permanent restrictions proposed seem like no-brainer policies anyway, except for the part about not watering street median strips.

We should stop growing almonds in California. They take wayyyy too much water. Agriculture in the state needs to take a long hard look at its future there.
But my almond milk though!
Maybe many of these people shouldn't be living in California then. It's like people don't want to pay the bill for the choices they make in where they live and the amount of water they use.
Uh, I think most people who live in California were born there? Like most places? And if they can't afford to just live there, how could they afford to just move away?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good.

Exactly the point -- most people probably aren't even doing that to begin with. How much water is being saved by not allowing people to use a sprinkler after it rains? It's likely a pittance compared to the millions of gallons spent by agricultural companies.

10% of the water use in the state is urban. So even if you could institute and enforce all these asinine rules about showering and watering your lawn......even if you could make everyone reduce their water usage by half......the net effect would only be a 5% savings.
a) You have no idea how many morons I see waste water all the time, including leaving auto-timed sprinklers on during or after rain. Yes, poorly timed lawn waterings and hosing down driveways is a small portion of the state's overall usage, but it's nonetheless a preventable waste.

b) Everything helps. Being conscious of water use should be standard operating procedure for Californians, not something we pick up several years into each new drought.

clav

Hopefully the next step is a ban on dairy in California.

Cows are drinking up a lot of water.

Whenever you drive through Central California, you'll notice how green it is out there.

Sprinklers are on all the time over there.

I thought agricultural already had heavy restrictions.
Yeah, they use up the most water, but they also produce the majority of the food the US eats.

Plenty of almond trees, grapes, and cattle along the I-5.

I used to see plenty of people doing that shit, you would be surprised. Too fucking lazy to turn them off. I haven't seen it as much in the past year or so, but I still see people watering at noon -_-

Madness

Unless the governor is willing to put his money where his mouth is and apply some pressure to the agricultural industry, the amount of water saved is just a drop in the bucket. Same goes for golf courses.

It also doesn't help that the state has the highest number of illegal immigrants as well. The state is struggling. Don't a lot of North californians want to separate from South california as well?

A lot of these restrictions are good though. More in california need to adopt Vegas style restrictions to landscaping and maintenance. If yoh live somewhere that grass won't grow or stay green without a shit ton of water daily. Have grassless landscaping. Peolle can also incorporate water storage systems that gather either water run off or rainwater and utilize that if they wish. Waterless car wash products have also never been better. You can maintain you car properly with just a simple bucket of water with grit guard and quality waterless wash products and mitts.

Mii

Banned
People in North Cali are saying this as loudly as they can, and are salty as fuck because they want to water their artichoke fields.

fuck your artichokes, the state is still in the shit.

Fuck SoCal, go get your own water and stop taking ours.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Do you guys have restrictions on shower use or less water pressure since the restrictive phase started?

In addition, the new permanent regulations will include many of the water no-nos introduced last year with the drought emergency measures. Bans will remain in effect on washing cars without a shut-off nozzle, watering lawns to the point of causing runoff or within 48 hours of rain, and irrigating street medians.

These make sense.

spraying down hard surfaces like sidewalks and driveways, using potable water in decorative fountains,

Sometimes a sidewalk or driveway needs blasted with water.

You can have a fountain that constantly reuses the same water. What do you want in a fountain, toxic water?

Unless the governor is willing to put his money where his mouth is and apply some pressure to the agricultural industry, the amount of water saved is just a drop in the bucket. Same goes for golf courses.

It also doesn't help that the state has the highest number of illegal immigrants as well. The state is struggling. Don't a lot of North californians want to separate from South california as well?

A lot of these restrictions are good though. More in california need to adopt Vegas style restrictions to landscaping and maintenance. If yoh live somewhere that grass won't grow or stay green without a shit ton of water daily. Have grassless landscaping. Peolle can also incorporate water storage systems that gather either water run off or rainwater and utilize that if they wish. Waterless car wash products have also never been better. You can maintain you car properly with just a simple bucket of water with grit guard and quality waterless wash products and mitts.

this is a bad attitude to have. yes, it's a "drop in the bucket" compared to water used elsewhere, which is still a problem, but regardless it's still a good thing to have these regulations

BBboy20

You mean those light-Confederates who are drunk in delusional grandeur? Because Puerto Rico has a higher chance of becoming a state and that's not happening anytime soon.

SkyOdin

We should stop growing almonds in California. They take wayyyy too much water. Agriculture in the state needs to take a long hard look at its future there.
California is one of the best places for agriculture on the entire planet. The state produces at least half of the fruit and nuts produced in the entire country. For many crops, California supplies the entire supply made in the country. When you say "stop growing almonds in California", you are in effect calling for an end to the entire domestic productions of almonds.

It is also the case that agriculture has been heavily impacted by the drought. In some places entire orchards of sixty-year old orange trees had to bulldozed because there was bo water for them. You can't just flip a switch to replace that loss. Any losses suffered by orchards or vineyards due to drought will take years or decades to properly recover from.

So, the entire discussion of agricultural water use isn't a simple one. You can't cut agricultural water use without serious ramifications. However, the same isn't true large chunks of residential water use, where there is often rampant waste. People often bring up how much water is used in agriculture as a distraction. The fact that agriculture uses up more water than residential areas doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of ways we can reduce water use in residential areas.

rykomatsu

Car washing is okay as long as there's a shutoff nozzle, right? Which you should be using anyway, drought or no drought.

The permanent restrictions proposed seem like no-brainer policies anyway, except for the part about not watering street median strips.

Depends on municipality. Where I live:

"It is now prohibited for anyone in San Jose to wash a car with potable water at home, whether or not they are using a hose with a shut-off nozzle"

BBboy20

California is one of the best places for agriculture on the entire planet. The state produces at least half of the fruit and nuts produced in the entire country. For many crops, California supplies the entire supply made in the country. When you say "stop growing almonds in California", you are in effect calling for an end to the entire domestic productions of almonds.

It is also the case that agriculture has been heavily impacted by the drought. In some places entire orchards of sixty-year old orange trees had to bulldozed because there was bo water for them. You can't just flip a switch to replace that loss. Any losses suffered by orchards or vineyards due to drought will take years or decades to properly recover from.

So, the entire discussion of agricultural water use isn't a simple one. You can't cut agricultural water use without serious ramifications. However, the same isn't true large chunks of residential water use, where there is often rampant waste. People often bring up how much water is used in agriculture as a distraction. The fact that agriculture uses up more water than residential areas doesn't change the fact that there is a lot of ways we can reduce water use in residential areas.
4%. That's the last I checked. That's a drop in the bucket compared to farmers' and corporations' usage. Even if we were the best at sparsity, we still wouldn't be leaving an overall impact.

Madness

this is a bad attitude to have. yes, it's a "drop in the bucket" compared to water used elsewhere, which is still a problem, but regardless it's still a good thing to have these regulations

Where did I state it wasn't a good thing? I stated that unless he targets the real wastage of water especially by the agricultural and tourist/golf/resort industries you are not going to achieve much if at all. You could ban lawn watering and car washing altogether and yet more than 80% of the water would still be wasted on the agricultural industry. So unless the governor is willing to take on the big business and agriculture industries (he isn't), nothing will change. California will still keep using tens of trillions of gallons of water they are rapidly running out of.

It reminds me of the ban of pesticides for home use in BC. A lot of people cheered when weed n feed products were banned in Canada. Until they realized that homeowner use of pesticides is nothing compared to the agricultural and industrial industry. All those studies about pesticide runoff to streams, dead animals etc. They had less to do with Johnny Homeowner sprinkling weed killer on his lawn and more to do with idiotic farmers spraying pesticides by thr thousands of gallons over hundreds of acres, companies using weed killing products in golf courses and resort areas known to animals etc. But nope the ban for commercial use never happened, but now Canadians have to either smuggle weed killer from the US or use concentrated hand spraying products that are costly, time consuming and work a fraction as good.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I've done my part by putting off getting my car washed for coming up on a solid year now. Not because I'm lazy, mind you. Because of Earth Mother.

Tagyhag

They should keep these restrictions, but they should also have restrictions on the agricultural sector.

We are wasting so much water.

Would you rather be without almonds your entire life or water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom