• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least 43 dead in 'biggest forest fire in decades' in Portugal

Osahi

Portugal is going trough a heath wave at the moment (with temperatures rising above 40°C in certain areas). As usual, this comes with some terrible forest fires. This year disaster realy struck in Pedrogão Grande, north-west of Lisbon and about 30km south of student city Coimbra, in the center of the country. At least 43 people are confirmed dead in a fire that surrounded villages and cut of roads, 59 are reported wounded, and the toll may still rise...

TELEMMGLPICT000132235544-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

At least 25 people have died (note: it's updated to 43 now) in a wildfire in central Portugal on Saturday, most of them trapped in their cars by flames as treacherous wind drove the blaze beyond firefighters' control.

Jorge Gomes, secretary of state for the interior, said that 16 of the casualties had been killed when their cars were engulfed by flames as they drove along a local road. The other three deaths were from smoke inhalation, the official said, adding that 21 people were being treated for injuries.

”It's the biggest tragedy in recent years," said Portugal's prime, Minister António Costa. ”We have to find out what happened."

President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa saluted the bravery of the country's firefighters.

"These men and women deserve our support," the president said, adding that ”wind and high temperatures" were making the job of controlling the fire extremely complicated.

Many parts of Spain and Portugal have been hit by a heatwave in recent days. The temperature in Pedrogão Grande reached 38ºC on Saturday and is predicted to touch 40ºC on Sunday.

The death toll so far is the largest due to a wildfire in Portugal since 1966, when 25 soldiers were killed battling a forest blaze in the forest of Sintra, near Lisbon.

It's also reported now the fire might be the result of faul play, as there were 4 seperate starting points. Police is investigating.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/18/least-19-killed-portugal-forest-fire/

Stay strong Portugal. Last year distaster struck on Madeira, now in the Leiria district. I always suport the firebrigade when they have an event going on when I'm at my holiday place in São Martinho do Porto, but as these fire seem to get more severe every year, I'll have to chip in some more the next time.

EDIT: can this be joined with the other topic that came up around the same time I posted this?

Top Bottom