• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Beyond: Batman of the Future Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

So Timm and Company had already launched a mega success, awesome Batman animated series. They even relaunched it (though some fans disliked the change) and a new Superman cartoon.

In 1999, they made their most challenging change yet, they created their own mythos for the Batman Universe.

fual1h.jpg

Batman Beyond tells the story of a futuristic Gotham where Bruce Wayne gives up the Bat-mantle. The new mantle is taken up by some street wise kid who just lost his father, Terry McGinnis.

This Batman was different. He didn't train as hard, his mind wasn't as shape, but he did have a much older and crankier Bruce Wayne in his head.

How did the show stack up?
Let's revisit
BatmanBeyondS1.jpg

The first season consists of 13 episodes that tell the story of Terry's rise to Bat-glory as well as give us some insight on to what became of the original Batman and friends.

13)The Winning Ege
osqzko.jpg

Let's take a gimmick of a character and apply it to the world of sports. Yeah Bane's serum which left him crippled in an old man's home is being sold to High School students to give them an edge. It was one way to get Bane back in the show, but eh.

12)Golem
65r8jn.jpg

Some kid takes control over a giant robot and uses it to get back at the people who bullied him at school. Oh yeah guess forgot to mention Terry is in high school so he has to balance his life with his other life. Sounds like another hero.

11)Heroes
1z6dzk2.jpg
[/IMG]
Hindsight is 50/50, this concept was done in Justice League Unlimited, and I felt it was done better since they were lampooning their own bad history instead of the Fantastic Four here.

10)Disappearing Inque
1zya7hd.jpg

Inque was one of the more interesting creations for the new show. This is her second appearance, which is nice especially with her obsession on finding the old guy, but the subplot with the man wanting to be like her was a bit much.

9)Ascension
5ccepz.jpg

Blight I felt was being built up as the big baddie of the series, but this is pretty much his curtain call, and it is a bit anticlimactic to say the least.

8)Spellbound
iwoha0.jpg

This was a cool episode. Especially when we got to see what Terry was seeing along with what Bruce was seeing. This I believe also marks the first appearance of Ms. Gordon to the series.

7)Shriek
2jdrq15.jpg

This episode I felt was stronger due to some of the scenes. Such as Terry using an alternate disguise for the first time, or the fight scene without any sound or the simple way Bruce knew he wasn't insane.

6)Dead Man's Hand
juy6tg.jpg

We get an early (or later depending on your view of time) of the Royal Flush Gang. We also get a romantic interest setup for Terry along the lines of Bruce/Selina.

5)Rebirth 2
282m5mx.jpg

We see how Terry becomes Batman along with the fact that Bruce really is cranky. Unlike Bruce though, Terry gets to avenge his father in some manner.

4)Meltdown
2dc8saq.jpg

I've always been a fan of Mr. Freeze and this episode added to his tragic existance as he was finally able to get some sort of a normal life, only to have it taken away once more.

3)Blackout
x4n87p.jpg

Like I said above, Inque is one of my favorite additions to the Bat-mythos from this show and this is her first appearance. It is also Terry's first real test as The Batman, and we learn at the end he hasn't been given the big tour of the past yet. All in all a good episode for our young Caped Crusader.

2)A Touch Of Curaré
349axxj.jpg

This was an awesome episode. It had an interesting premise. It gave us more of a backstory on the whole Batman/Batgirl relationship. A development in the new Commisoner/Terry relationship, and a kickass villain.

1)Rebirth
x6hjpf.jpg

The episode that started it all. Shows why Bruce gave up the mantle. How he became more socially isolated even losing control of his company. Shows us the new Gotham and of course, her eventual new protector.

All in all, season 1 of Batman Beyond is a pretty solid effort. If you can get past the part that this is really the Batman name with a Spiderman twist (oh come on he has to manage HS, dating, parents with being a superhero who is quick with the quips), this is a fun show.

I do have some problems with the function of the suit and the show. As far as I could tell, the suit has the ability to fly so why does he need the Batmobile? The suit can also go invisible and unless missed it no reason he couldn't keep doing that. Also it naturally enhances his own power so he didn't have to train as hard as the original.

But let's see if that improves in the next two seasons.

jasonng

I liked the show but I know it wouldn't live up to expectations. I believe because there were no villains in Beyond that can be on par with Bruce's villains. In fact, the return of Mr Freeze was one of my favorite episodes. The Return of the Joker was awesome too.

nitewulf

i loved the whole thing, it was quirky and funny, original batman could be too moody at times. this was perfect.

MisterHero

I thought the Bruce/Barbara angle was interesting (even though a possible huge age gap might confound some), but then they screwed that up in Mystery of the Batwoman.

overall I really enjoyed the subsequent involvement of the Justice League (though I didn't like 'The Call' that much)

I do have some problems with the function of the suit and the show. As far as I could tell, the suit has the ability to fly so why does he need the Batmobile? The suit can also go invisible and unless missed it no reason he couldn't keep doing that. Also it naturally enhances his own power so he didn't have to train as hard as the original.
the suit's flight capabilities are more towards being able to get Batman in the air and gliding the rest of the way

the stealth function is limited as it can overheat

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
HowardRoark said:
Interesting concept, ultimately failed to deliver.

I chalk that up to a (mostly) obnoxious protagonist.

I feel exactly the same. Terry was young and seemed like a cliched teen character. It wasn't exactly like it, but I could never shake the feeling that I was watching a Scrappy Doo-a-like wearing the cowl. I didn't think he looked like that great a Batman either - a full cape was needed to stop the costume looking like a gimp's novelty outfit.

That said, I remember really liking the Return of the Joker movie. I think I've got the uncut version somewhere.

Also, in retrospect I don't think the futuristic stylings have aged as much as I'd thought they would - it still looks classically futuristic - or at least the future of the BTAS series - which is a hard thing to pull off.

Tokubetsu

I definitely have to disagree. I thought Terry was a great foil Batman to Bruce's and while I love TAS, I really do feel like I enjoyed BB more. The overall tone felt a lot bleaker.

what lost me is that bruce chose a high school kid succeed him. i understand it's ultimately a kids show, but c'mon.

though i wish i would've watched it more to see what became of bruce wayne and co. maybe i'll wiki it all some time.

MisterHero

Tyrone Slothrop said:
what lost me is that bruce chose a high school kid succeed him. i understand it's ultimately a kids show, but c'mon.

though i wish i would've watched it more to see what became of bruce wayne and co. maybe i'll wiki it all some time.
it's not really like Bruce chose him, but rather that Bruce saw Terry going the wrong path and decided to try and temper that, as he did with Dick, Jason* and Tim

*not in the DCAU, but he represents that aspect of Batman wanting to train Robin the most

Penguin said:
Blight I felt was being built up as the big baddie of the series, but this is pretty much his curtain call, and it is a bit anticlimactic to say the least.

By far the worst part of the show in my opinion. I always hoped that Blight would rival the B:TAS villians but he never did

Oh, and lets not drag that JLU cloning crap in here. BB ended when that kid saw the face of batman as the face of his favorite action figure

Barrage

Tyrone Slothrop said:

Considering the ages that the kids Bruce chose to be Robin were, wouldn't it make more sense for him to choose a young protege? It's what he's used to.

Penguin

Eteric Rice said:
I like BB, I thought they did a pretty good job. To bad they cancelled it. :(

It wasn't so much cancelled as put on a backburner so they could work on the FAR superior Justice League.

Tamanon

Banned
Epilogue was great because we got to see old school Bruce at his most vulnerable and Terry being a badass and really inheriting the mantle. Plus, Old Amanda Waller was great.

Also, it clears up why Bats calls his hound Ace.:)

Penguin

DarienA said:
Thanks I've heard about this ep for awhile and never got a chance to watch it... interesting tie in.

Does that mean you didn't watch Justice League Unlimited or just this episode?
Because the stuff leading up to this episode is just pure bad-ass.

Tamanon

Banned
Penguin said:

Best season of any Timmverse show, IMO.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Penguin said:

I've never watched the Justice League... Batman Beyond was the last superhero cartoon I watched. What was going on in JLU leading up to that?

Tamanon

Banned
DarienA said:
I've never watched the Justice League... Batman Beyond was the last superhero cartoon I watched. What was going on in JLU leading up to that?

Government conspiracy, Luthor, Brainiac, Elseworlds, Suicide Squad, The Question becoming a DCU legend, The Flash being insanely awesome.

Penguin

DarienA said:

It's my next project after the Beyond thread, but let's say...

*Looks at Tamanon's response*

Pretty much that please it began to tie in elements from BTAS, STAS and BB to make a nice little sandwich of stuff.

There were alien invasion, betrayals, time travel, gov't conspiracy, rogue heroes, questionable alliances, well overall.

Season 2 of JLU is like the best Timmverse stuff ever. As was Season 2 of Justice League.

I really can't wait to get an excuse to rewatch it all.

~Edit~
Oh maybe you can help me out with the Justice League project was going to do it with a friend who had never seen before, but he never got around to getting it.

But had an idea to do a thread from the viewpoint of a repeat watcher and a first timer just to see how it holds up if you know where it is going.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Penguin said:
It's my next project after the Beyond thread, but let's say...

*Looks at Tamanon's response*

Pretty much that please it began to tie in elements from BTAS, STAS and BB to make a nice little sandwich of stuff.

There were alien invasion, betrayals, time travel, gov't conspiracy, rogue heroes, questionable alliances, well overall.

Season 2 of JLU is like the best Timmverse stuff ever. As was Season 2 of Justice League.

I really can't wait to get an excuse to rewatch it all.

~Edit~
Oh maybe you can help me out with the Justice League project was going to do it with a friend who had never seen before, but he never got around to getting it.

But had an idea to do a thread from the viewpoint of a repeat watcher and a first timer just to see how it holds up if you know where it is going.

I don't have the time unfortunately... but I'm going to have to FIND some time... sounds interesting.

ghstwrld said:
Max Gibson is the best bat-sidekick ever.
Cree Summer doing great VA work as usual. And cute.

Max.jpg

Why in the world is Splicers not here? That was a GREAT episode with far-reaching implications in the BB universe.

Penguin

The Frankman said:
Cree Summer doing great VA work as usual. And cute.

Max.jpg

Why in the world is Splicers not here? That was a GREAT episode with far-reaching implications in the BB universe.

Er... Splicers?
Haha
The way the thread usually works is I take a single season of the show and rank it.
So guess not in season 1.

Kipe

Epilogue overall was good, but I hated the fact that
Terry is related to Bruce. The amount of coincidences needed to hold that plot twist is ridiculous.

Weird, I could've sworn it was a Season 1 ep... lemme check.

lol FIRST EPISODE of Season 2. I pretty much remember every episode and thought it was a Season 1...

But yeah I loved "The Winning Edge" and the attempt to close Chapters' on Bruce's most noted antagonists. Much like how TAS re-invigorated many villains (Mr. Freeze for example), B:B did a good job writing their epitaphs.

Atrus

Gold Member
I liked BB: Return of the Joker and the epilogue. Really made you feel sad about the lifelong dedication and sacrifices of Bruce Wayne and the allies of his day.

Aske

I liked BB more than TAS overall. Though the villains were far inferior, I was interested by the twist that split Batman into two people - Bruce the detective, Terry the muscles - and the pacing of each show was consistently great. Many of them delivered great plot twists, and they always felt satisfyingly complete. Awesome action sequences too.

The vision of the future is interesting. The splicing trend was a stroke of genius. Some BB future tech looks archaic by our standards (the cellphones that are basically a set of cumbersome wireless headphones) but overall, it was a smart twist on Gotham and it's aged well.

I agree that JL and JLU were superior shows, but I think of BB as more consistent. It had an excellent soundtrack too.

It's interesting because a lot of people have ripped the B:B soundtrack because it isn't the classic TAS fare. I loved the music, especially in eps. like Earth Mover... it fits the "Batman of the Future" mold and yet still harkens back to conveying the stories' emotions through the music.

h_a_t

7)Shriek
This episode I felt was stronger due to some of the scenes. Such as Terry using an alternate disguise for the first time, or the fight scene without any sound or the simple way Bruce knew he wasn't insane.

I loved that part at the end...
Tell that to my subconscious...

jasonng

Kipe said:
Epilogue overall was good, but I hated the fact that
Terry is related to Bruce. The amount of coincidences needed to hold that plot twist is ridiculous.

Agreed, except that I didn't like it because of it. It all feels way too forced.
Also, adult Terry is ugly.

Aske

The Frankman said:
It's interesting because a lot of people have ripped the B:B soundtrack because it isn't the classic TAS fare. I loved the music, especially in eps. like Earth Mover... it fits the "Batman of the Future" mold and yet still harkens back to conveying the stories' emotions through the music.

The whole show is a lot more Mountain Dew, and I can well understand why that would turn people off who loved TAS. To me, it's like comparing two of the different Star Trek franchises. The foundation of the different shows is the same, but they're deliberately designed to be different, especially in terms of atmosphere and style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom