• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Demigod Thread

1sjytw.png

Release Date: April 14th
Genre: Real-time strategy action RPG thinger

What is Demigod? Demigod is a real-time strategy action RPG something or another where you (for the most part) control a single character, a "Demigod." You and your teammates duke it out on symmetrical arenas with constantly respawning waves of AI reinforcements. You cannot control these reinforcements and they run along preset paths and killing them gives you gold and experience, with which you can buy new equipment with and level up your character. As your character levels up you'll be able to improve your skills, making your more deadly. Though there are other gameplay modes, the main gameplay mode is "Conquest" where the goal is to destroy your enemies' Citadel. It is very obviously influenced heavily by the Warcraft 3 map, Defense of the Ancients, however they've made a lot of changes to the core game, a lot of them hardcore DOTA fans will probably hate so those looking for DOTA 2.0 should probably pass up on this and check out League of Legends instead.

What are the different demigods? There are two types of Demigods. Assassins and Generals. Assassins do not control any minions whatsoever and their abilities are fairly offensive, they're all about destruction. Generals are able to summon a small personal army and their abilities usually involve lots of buffing/debuffing, they are fairly support oriented.

Assassins:
2ms3rib.png

The Rook - This demigod is probably the one most are familiar with. This mammoth has become the "mascot" of demigod so to speak. He has a large amount of HP, can deal massive damage and is very good at destroying buildings.

2w7ekhg.png

Torch Bearer - The Torch Bearer has the most active abilities in the game. He's able to toggle between Ice and Fire. His Ice abilities stun and interrupt, while Fire is pure damage.

2eey2k0.png

Regulus - A fallen angel, Regulus has the longest range. He is able to set up mines that are hidden from enemy view and deal damage from long distances.

2h7ggo4.png

Unclean Beast - Unclean Beast is incredibly fast and large amounts of his damage can be done by taking advantage of his incredibly fast auto-attack speed. His abilities poison and drain health from his opponents.

Generals:

t70lrb.png

Sedna - While Sedna does have some offensive abilities, Sedna's passive auras that heal herself and those around her make her a supportive powerhouse. She also has a heal spell and can silence enemy demigods and priests, preventing them from casting spells. She summons Yetis.

14300uo.png

Queen of Thorns - The scantily clad fairy is tied with Torch Bearer for the most amount of abilities. She too is able to switch between two different modes, one outside of her Petals, one inside. She can deal lots of damage to buildings as well as some nice AOE. She summons tree...thingies.

t50i9i.png

Erebus/Vampire Lord - As you'd expect from a vampire, a large amount of his skills drain health. He has an AOE stun and is able to turn into mist, dealing damage to enemies, healing his allies, while not being able to do anything else (including being damaged). He's also able to turn into a swarm of bats to teleport small distances. He has a chance to summon a little blood night thingie every time he kills a reinforcement.

4gp81t.png

Oak - Oak has a lot of defensive abilities. He's able to shield others from damage, he has a ranged stun/slow and an AOE debuff. He can plant a flag down and when things are killed with a certain radius of it, they transform into spirits that Oak commands. He also has an ability that increases his damage based on how many spirits he has under command at once.

War Score and Flags

In Demigod, there is something known as your War Rank/War Score, which increases as the game plays out. On the maps, there are several flags that you are able to control. On top of the bonuses the flags grant, controlling a certain amount more than your opponent will make your war score increase faster than the opposing team. Having a higher war rank allows you to purchase several team-wide benefits, like increasing your gold income, increasing experience gain, purchasing more powerful AI reinforcements and making allied buildings tougher.

Favor Points/Favor items

As you play you will accumulate Favor Points. These Favor Points are persistent and stay with your account. With them, you can purchase Favor Items, which are also persistent, once you've purchased a favor item, you no longer need to spend favor points to use it. Once you start a game, you have one slot for a favor item and you can choose any of the favor items you've purchased or purchase a new one right there. You cannot change favor items during a game, so choose carefully.

Pantheon

The Pantheon is a persistent tournament. You choose a side, Light or Dark (there are 4 demigods that are Light and 4 that are dark) and play games that add points to your side. The goal is to reach 1 million points before the opposite side. This will take several weeks to accomplish.

Screenshots and other media

demigod-20090319114802454.jpg

demigod-20090319114806876.jpg

demigod-20080827085926113.jpg

demigod-20080827085921519.jpg

demigod-20080827090236043.jpg

demigod-20081215011704199.jpg

Teaser trailer

Impulse name list

GAF name - Impulse Handle

Teknopathetic - Teknopathetic
godhandiscen - godhandiscen
jasonng - thisisjasonng
Traced-Velocity - Traced-Velocity
BobsRevenge - BobsRevenge
poweld - poweld
DaFish - DaFish
JudgeN - Nightstriker8507
dionysus - dionysus
TouchMyBox - TouchMyBox
blitz64 - blitz64
cmmart - cmmart
Big-E - diTANK
Nikorasu - lluka

TreIII

I've been keeping an eye on this one, since I first saw it in Games for Windows Mag. I'll also be looking forward to playing it...

Haunted

Holy shit, I didn't know there were so many demigods to choose from!

Still looking forward to it - is it co-op/MP only?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How does it work with Impulse... The steam thing for Stardock games. Correct?

Also, Already have mine on Pre-order, Can't resist a fabulous price of 35$ on Amazon ^_^. Is going be my 3rd game purchase of the year, and only planned one.

ElyrionX

"Unclean Beast"

Uggghhh. Seriously, is this the best name a team of developers can come up with? Jesus christ.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I love Stardock and this is a sure buy for me, but I hope it has single player because I suck at RTS and want that option.

Wow, i just found out about League of Legends through this thread. That game looks promising, as for Demigod i don't know it seems to offer way too little for someone who is addicted to DOTA. It does look very nice though.

Erudite

Managed to win a free copy from BigDownload.com. Kinda bummed that I won't be getting a boxed copy, since the cover looks awesome, but can't argue with free. Can't wait :D

Bossman

Musashi Wins! said:
I love Stardock and this is a sure buy for me, but I hope it has single player because I suck at RTS and want that option.

There is no singleplayer story mode but you can play against the AI in skirmishes or in tournament mode.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The beta demo at the Penny Arcade Expo basically sold me on the game. That, and Stardock's Gamer's Bill of Rights. I can't wait to see how far the game has progressed since then.

Hmm...seeming lack of a robustish single player mode is kinda rough to go along with. It'll still be a number of months from now until I have a PC that can even run this---so maybe depending on how things shape up multiplayer wise? I know that they aim to add more Demigods and such through various means over the coming times after the game is released.

Looks like fun though, the gist of it. Probably gonna have to put this on the backburner though and see how it shakes out---Impulse may yet get more of my cash on this sometime after Elven Legacy.

thaOwner

Teknopathetic said:
There will be a single player campaign, but there aren't any details on it. I'm betting it's something Unreal Tournament-ish.
Damn you Teknopathetic. My Wallet hates you now.

Darklord

Banned
I'm still not convinced by this game yet. The last 2 Gas Powered games were pretty crap, they really aren't that great of a developer.
The maps also look extremely bland and have no atmosphere or feel about them, which was one of my main problems with Supreme Commander.

I also think some of the demigods look crap. Some look pretty good though.

I'll give the demo a try if there is one.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Darklord said:
I'm still not convinced by this game yet. The last 2 Gas Powered games were pretty crap, they really aren't that great of a developer.
The maps also look extremely bland and have no atmosphere or feel about them, which was one of my main problems with Supreme Commander.

I also think some of the demigods look crap. Some look pretty good though.

I'll give the demo a try if there is one.
Supreme Commander is one of the best RTS games ever made, easy. Fantastic game.

"Supreme Commander is one of the best RTS games ever made, easy. Fantastic game."

It always boggles me when someone slags Supreme Commander. Then you ask them what's wrong with it and they don't actually have any answer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknopathetic said:
"Supreme Commander is one of the best RTS games ever made, easy. Fantastic game."

It always boggles me when someone slags Supreme Commander. Then you ask them what's wrong with it and they don't actually have any answer.
It's intimidating as hell, for one. Large matches can be as ponderous as Tolstoy. You can also argue that the factions and character designs are somewhat impersonal and generic due to the fact that they're all just basically giant robots. I enjoyed it, but games like World in Conflict and Dawn of War II (and Demigod when it comes out) are much easier to jump in and jump out of and have more personality.

Darklord

Banned
Teknopathetic said:

Bland graphics with no atmosphere, non-existent AI, crap UI, massive system hog(and ugly for that matter) is just a few reasons.

Mdk7

Wow, the character design is really good.
Wish i had a PC to play it (even if it's not completely my genre!)...

"Bland graphics with no atmosphere, non-existent AI, crap UI, massive system hog(and ugly for that matter) is just a few reasons."

Besides the UI, none of that really has anything to do with the actual gameplay. All RTS AI is garbage, same with RTS campaigns. They're all bad. I think we've done this dance before.

I'm not sure why a game whose story takes place in a universe where wars are bloodlessly fought with machines light years away from civilization should have tons of night-elf glowy shit for atmosphere, but hey, different strokes.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
This is 100% a DotA clone as I understand it, but I'm pretty skeptical at how good it will be. Really, 8 heroes? Of all the things for them to copy from DotA they missed the number one most important.

"This is 100% a DotA clone as I understand it, but I'm pretty skeptical at how good it will be. Really, 8 heroes? Of all the things for them to copy from DotA they missed the number one most important."

Incorrect. It's about 60% a DotA clone. Like I said in the OP, people looking for DotA 2.0 need look elsewhere. They've taken out some aspects that many DotA fans hold dear and added some that they may not care for.

DotA also has the distinct advantage of not requiring an art team to add more heroes since they're all models from WC3

Darklord

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
I'm not sure why a game whose story takes place in a universe where wars are bloodlessly fought with machines light years away from civilization should have tons of night-elf glowy shit for atmosphere, but hey, different strokes.

I don't mean like that. It just felt lifeless. I might of well have been playing a game of chess it was that bland. You don't need elves and magic to give it atmosphere, just a bit of effort and a decent art design.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknopathetic said:
"This is 100% a DotA clone as I understand it, but I'm pretty skeptical at how good it will be. Really, 8 heroes? Of all the things for them to copy from DotA they missed the number one most important."

Incorrect. It's about 60% a DotA clone. Like I said in the OP, people looking for DotA 2.0 need look elsewhere. They've taken out some aspects that many DotA fans hold dear and added some that they may not care for.

DotA also has the distinct advantage of not requiring an art team to add more heroes since they're all models from WC3
I've never played DotA, but I'd be interested in hearing what those things are. More interested than seeing people argue about SupCom, anyway. That shows that the developers want Demigod to stand on it's own rather than just act as a reskin of DotA.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Teknopathetic said:

What aspects? I'm guessing it's more like 10% whose removal hardcore fans think marks the end of the world?

And whatever their reason, the massive variety of characters is one of the biggest appeals of DotA. With only 8 characters odds are you'll only like a couple of them at most and the game will get awfully stale.

"I've never played DotA, but I'd be interested in hearing what those things are. More interested than seeing people argue about SupCom, anyway. That shows that the developers want Demigod to stand on it's own rather than just act as a reskin of DotA."

For one, they've removed last hitting/denying, which is a pretty big deal in DotA. Last hitting is making sure your hero gets the last hit on a creep (the AI peons) to get the gold for the kill. Denying means getting the last hit on an allied creep to deny your enemy XP.

Also gone is the whole item recipe thing, which I'm pretty sure was just a workaround for the WC3 UI anyway. In DotA these are items that basically made from combinations of other items, there's a big chart out there somewhere with all the items and combinations and it's just a mess.

And there's the aforementioned citadel upgrade/war score/flag control stuff.

"And whatever their reason, the massive variety of characters is one of the biggest appeals of DotA. With only 8 characters odds are you'll only like a couple of them at most and the game will get awfully stale."

It's hard to say whether it will get stale or not. Until Opposing Fronts, Company of Heroes only had 2 factions and they couldn't play on the same side in a team game and CoH was pretty fantastic. The only real aspect that provided any variety was choosing your Doctrine. Heroes in Demigod have a slightly larger skill tree than what you'd see in DotA.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zek said:
What aspects? I'm guessing it's more like 10% whose removal hardcore fans think marks the end of the world?

And whatever their reason, the massive variety of characters is one of the biggest appeals of DotA. With only 8 characters odds are you'll only like a couple of them at most and the game will get awfully stale.
The devs made a big deal about all the customization options in pre-release interviews. The idea is that one player's hero may play much differently than another's, even if they're using the same character. If that is true then 8 characters may be sufficient.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
SapientWolf said:
It's intimidating as hell, for one. Large matches can be as ponderous as Tolstoy. You can also argue that the factions and character designs are somewhat impersonal and generic due to the fact that they're all just basically giant robots. I enjoyed it, but games like World in Conflict and Dawn of War II (and Demigod when it comes out) are much easier to jump in and jump out of and have more personality.
What I like about Supreme Commander is that it is one of the few strategy games where there is less going through the motions and more actual strategizing. The unit selection enables such a wealth of options to win that I think it is unmatched in that. You can tech up to tier 3, or try to build insane amounts of tier 1s. You can turtle or go all offensive. Every choice is a gamble, but they can pay off.

I think it is the ultimate strategy game right now. DoW2, once it gets all balanced, might be the ultimate tactics game.

Either way, GoG's RTS pedigree is one of the best. Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander are both incredible and landmarks in the genre.

SupCom is kind of intimidating, but I just watched a few replays of the best players and after a few games I was able to win a lot of the games I played. It is extremely rewarding because of how challenging it can be to outsmart the other guy.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I remember there wer talks of this game having persistent online DemiGods. Supposedly your DemiGod would level up after each online battle. Is that still part of the game?

I have had this game preordered for a while, but it is fucking bullshit I don't get the option to get the CE. That wasn't announced back then, when I paid for the game.

edit: Nice, apparently, they upgraded all preorders with the retail box to the CE version. Sweet. ;)

"I remember there wer talks of this game having persistent online DemiGods. Supposedly your DemiGod would level up after each online battle. Is that still part of the game?"

The persistent stuff is now the Pantheon tournament which I don't actually understand 100% how it works because I've never played it. I am under the assumption that your demigod doesn't maintain its level across games, though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Teknopathetic said:
"I remember there wer talks of this game having persistent online DemiGods. Supposedly your DemiGod would level up after each online battle. Is that still part of the game?"

The persistent stuff is now the Pantheon tournament which I don't actually understand 100% how it works because I've never played it. I am under the assumption that your demigod doesn't maintain its level across games, though.

"I have had this game preordered for a while, but it is fucking bullshit I don't get the option to get the CE. That wasn't announced back then, when I paid for the game."

The option is coming, supposedly, to upgrade your DD preorder to the CE box.
Yeah, I think they gimped the persistent experience features, but it is still ok though. Also, I preordered the game + box, so it seems I get the CE box from what they have now announced in their page. Also, I played the beta and I never managed to really understand the game, but it was always so epic that even if I lost I would have fun. I think this is a cool game that I would enjoy playing with friendly people rather than competitively, and that is why I don't care for the persistent stuff anymore.

edit: There was a 2.7GB update release yesterday, does anybody know what does it contain?

I had not played in over a month, but I was able to notice the improvement in the graphics, and the stat tracking system. I pulled a rampage during my last match. I already know who will be my character.

blitz64

9/10

Here is my review based on the beta multiplayer. I've been playing for 3 months and it's just as fun as dota mod.

Presentation
If you ever played any rts game, then you'll feel right at home. No need to have a build order or learn 50 different units like other rts games. Just control 1 unit and you are ready to fight. If you want a whole army, select the General Demigods. The General Demigods play similar to the Necromancer in Diablo2. The Torch Bearer Demigod is like a sorceror from diablo2 and have the same spells like blizzard, forst bolt, and freeze.
There are 8 demigods, each can be customized differently. In the end, I think there are only 2 different builds for each demigod. When World of Warcraft released in 2004, it only had 8 classes on each side so maybe 8 demigod is enough. Original Street Fighter 2 only had 8 fighters as well. They are planning to add more demigods after release.

Graphics
Demigod graphics looks great but make sure you pay attention to the system requirements. It uses a tweaked supreme commander engine so if your system can run supcom, it should run Demigod.

Gameplay
The game is fun. It's really easy to pick and play. You'll learn all the demigods very quickly. Each game is suppose to last around 20 minutes. I've been playing for few month mostly 2v2 or 3v3. It gets better with more players. I played a few 5v5 game but it was too laggy. I think they'll fix those issues by release.

Lasting Appeal
There are 8 demigods, 6 maps, ranking, tournaments, great statistics on the website, and 4 different game modes. I think the game will last a very long time. Stardock is using this as their first game to use their new multiplayer impulse matchmaking system. Sorta like what Steam did with counterstrike. I wish there were more demigods to choose from which they will add at a later time. They also plan to add custom maps/mods later on.

OVERALL
If you are a dota player, don't expect as much depth as you see in dota. With just 8 demigods instead of 80, you'll become pro in few day. You'll quickly master all 8 demigods and all the items. When I first played dota, I was overwhelmed with the 80+ heroes. I was thinking forget it, I don't want to learn 80 heroes. Demigod seems much easir to learn for me.

If you never played dota, great. You won't have too much expectation. Since this is more of a casual game, you'll be able to pick up and play very easily. You'll enjoy the game and have fun.

9/10

blitz64

godhandiscen said:
edit: There was a 2.7GB update release yesterday, does anybody know what does it contain?

There have been beta updates every week. The recent updates were just a few hundred mbs and mostly network connection fixes. Tomorrow 4/7 is the last day to play the beta and it will close for everyone.

Top Bottom