• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Demigod Thread

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
when will i be able to download the full game? Will it just update over my current beta files?

DaFish said:
Sooooooo..... I shouldn't get CoH then eh?

Also, this makes me very happy <3

CoH is a sure thing, Demigod is more like a
Tranny
might look good but might not put out.

I've never played dota, so can some one link to a vid or something to explain how Demigod's gameplay works?

Technosteve said:
CoH is a sure thing, Demigod is more like a
Tranny
might look good but might not put out.

I've never played dota, so can some one link to a vid or something to explain how Demigod's gameplay works?

There are two bases, each base has shops, forts, portals and, the main building, the Citadel. Also scattered around the maps are towers, neutral portals, and neutral shops. The portals and each base, as well as any neutral portals controlled by a side, at different intervals spew out about a dozen soldiers. The soldiers are on a predetermined path toward the enemy citadel, stopping only when they run into enemies or start getting shot by the towers - which means as they spawn they run toward the closest tower, hack away at it stupidly and die.

That's where you come in, you play a hero unit, and your goal is to help your mindless masses spewing out the portals to reach the enemy citadel and destroy it by destroying any enemy towers in their path as well as the enemy armies. You do not control the armies (though some heroes can build very small personal armies for themselves by resurrecting dead enemies, summoning plants, etc...) You can buy gear and/or potions for your hero at the shops with money you accrue overtime by killing enemies, you gain experience and levels, which in turn grant you new skills. All that being said, it's a multiplayer game, so you play something like 2v2 or 4v4 and it can get really hectic with multiple heroes all with very different powers battling it out with little prescripted armies.

aeolist

Banned
I've been keeping a bit of an eye on this. I never played DotA so I'm not entirely sure how this will work, but it's possible to play this as a versus RPG and completely ignore the RTS elements, right?

DaFish

aeolist said:
I've been keeping a bit of an eye on this. I never played DotA so I'm not entirely sure how this will work, but it's possible to play this as a versus RPG and completely ignore the RTS elements, right?

Well there is no building what so ever in this game... so yeah I guess you could ignore RTS element (There is still strategy involved though, like any other game would have)

aeolist

Banned
DaFish said:
Well there is no building what so ever in this game... so yeah I guess you could ignore RTS element (There is still strategy involved though, like any other game would have)
OK well since resource management is the biggest problem I have with RTS games that helps.

Though what I meant is that I thought you could play the game controlling a single character and not a swarm. Is that right?

DaFish

aeolist said:
OK well since resource management is the biggest problem I have with RTS games that helps.

Though what I meant is that I thought you could play the game controlling a single character and not a swarm. Is that right?

That is right... though some Demigod's have minions that you summon (not build) that will fight for you (as well you use "spells" on them to temporarily make them stronger) thats probably as far as is goes to "building" stuff...

Ever play Diablo 2? its the same stuff as the Necromancer

godhandiscen

aeolist said:

Yes, this is not an RTS by any strecth of the imagination. It is more similar to Diablo with npc friendlies.

Retro

godhandiscen said:
Yes, this is not an RTS by any strecth of the imagination. It is more similar to Diablo with npc friendlies.

That's not entirely accurate; the gameplay takes place entirely in small Arenas, so it's more like.... a Third Person Deathmatch with certifiably retarded NPC friendlies and MMO-style character building. With the limited number of characters and the lack of any strategy other than "Kill the other guy", I would not expect this to have a very long life.

But, then again, I never really understood the point of DotA, so I must not 'get it'.

godhandiscen

Retro said:
That's not entirely accurate; the gameplay takes place entirely in small Arenas, so it's more like.... a Third Person Deathmatch with certifiably retarded NPC friendlies and MMO-style character building. With the limited number of characters and the lack of any strategy other than "Kill the other guy", I would not expect this to have a very long life.

But, then again, I never really understood the point of DotA, so I must not 'get it'.
Have you played the beta? I find it extremely fun. However I don't see me playing this by the end of the year by any stretch.

Retro

godhandiscen said:
Have you played the beta? I find it extremely fun. However I don't see me playing this by the end of the year by any stretch.

I'm not sure the NDA has been lifted for the phase I was involved in, I've been careful to avoid this thread for that reason. But yeah, I've played it quite a bit, and it didn't do much for me. Seemed like the kind of game that might be decent on the DS or PSP for short little multiplayer bursts, but it didn't strike me as something I'd sit and play for hours on end.

It seemed very limited on strategy. For example, trying to capture an enemy's spawning portal is counter-productive (at least in the version I was playing, maybe it's changed), because it robs you of the braindead trash to kill for experience, which robs you of new skills and improved stats. Trying to do anything other than charge headlong into demigod-vs-demigod combat was generally ineffective.

I've probably said too much. Lawsuit imminent =\

godhandiscen

Retro said:
I'm not sure the NDA has been lifted for the phase I was involved in, I've been careful to avoid this thread for that reason. But yeah, I've played it quite a bit, and it didn't do much for me. Seemed like the kind of game that might be decent on the DS or PSP for short little multiplayer bursts, but it didn't strike me as something I'd sit and play for hours on end.

It seemed very limited on strategy. For example, trying to capture an enemy's spawning portal is counter-productive (at least in the version I was playing, maybe it's changed), because it robs you of the braindead trash to kill for experience, which robs you of new skills and improved stats. Trying to do anything other than charge headlong into demigod-vs-demigod combat was generally ineffective.

I've probably said too much. Lawsuit imminent =\
I am in the beta. However, there is nothing that I can say that would make any sense since I never played DOTA. I would say it is a really good game regardless of genre.

DaFish

teepo said:
if it runs on my pc, i'll be there day one.
not sure how true these are...

Minimum System Requirements
Windows XP SP3 / Vista SP1
Processor running at 1.8 GHz
512 MB RAM
128 MB graphics card type GeForce 6800 / Radeon 9800 or higher
High-speed Internet connection for multiplayer online

Recommended
Processor running at 3 GHz
RAM 1 GB
256 MB graphics card type GeForce 7600 / Radeon x800 or higher

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DaFish said:

512 MB RAM

Recommended
RAM 1 GB
This might change for the full release, but the beta ran in single digit framerates until I upgraded to a dual core processor. SupCom's engine (which Demigod runs on) is notoriously cpu hungry. Otherwise those specs look fine.

blitz64

DaFish said:

512 MB RAM

Recommended
RAM 1 GB

Those specs are old and they are copied from supreme commander. The new system requirements from http://www.demigodthegame.com/purchase/

Minimum

2.4 GHz Processor
512 MB Available System Memory
8 GB Available Hard Drive Space
128 MB 3D Video Card (ATI Radeon X1600 / Nvidia GeForce 6800 or better)*
Sound Card
Broadband Internet Connection for Multiplayer
Stardock's Impulse Required for Updates/Digital Download
* Intel integrated chipsets are not supported.

Recommended

3 GHz Processor (Multicore Supported)
1 GB Available System Memory
256 MB 3D Video Card (ATI Radeon 2600 / Nvidia GeForce 7600 or better)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These requirements are pretty much final. The game has gone gold and they are printing the box now. As you can see, it requires more cpu and video than supcom even though they originally plan to have lower requirements than supcom. Also since shader2 has been removed, they only list shader3.0 and greater videocards in the requirements.

If you have a single core processor, don't bother playing this game since it'll be too slow.

Erudite

Teknopathetic said:
The beta has officially ended. Stardock is planning to come in Monday and release the game for all beta testers, a day ahead.
Nice :D

A day off on that day makes it all the better.

blitz64

Did anyone get the game from gamestop Today 4/10. According to lots of different forums and pictures, Gamestop is selling the game Today.
Stardock replied that they might start selling the game early too on Monday in response.

I wish I could buy it from Gamestop today but I already preorder and played the beta so I won't be able to cancel

Will there be a demo released?

Would this be able to run on my Laptop?
8600GT Mobile
I have 3-4 gigs
And core Duo 2.4 (I think)

Thank you.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Would anyone mind posting some in depth impressions of the beta? I'm considering buying the CE, but would really like some kind of indication of how the game is. Is the game ready currently or will it need a few patches to iron out bugs? Do you see any kind of long term potential for the game beyond the first month? How's the single player (if it was in beta.) Would appreciate any kind of response.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Teknopathetic said:
Blitz64 has a fairly long post at the end of the last page.

Aye, was very informative. I seek more info. :) Do you happen to have any impressions you'd like to add? You seem to be in the know when it comes to good games. ;)

Well, he covered most of it. There wasn't any single player in the beta so i can't comment on that. The game is pretty ready. There was some connectivity bugs but they've been focusing on that for the past 3 months smoothing those out and the beta branch is already about a month behind the internal builds, IIRC.

Like I said earlier, long term viability is something I can't really speculate on. Some say 8 demigods is too few and people will get bored, but then Company of Heroes only had 2 factions until its expansion pack hit and the hardcore COH players stuck with it well until the expansion pack came out. They're going to add 2 more demigods for free and more after that but no word if those will be free or not (I imagine if the game does really well they'll be free) as well as free maps.

I'm not really worried, personally.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Teknopathetic said:
Well, he covered most of it. There wasn't any single player in the beta so i can't comment on that. The game is pretty ready. There was some connectivity bugs but they've been focusing on that for the past 3 months smoothing those out and the beta branch is already about a month behind the internal builds, IIRC.

Like I said earlier, long term viability is something I can't really speculate on. Some say 8 demigods is too few and people will get bored, but then Company of Heroes only had 2 factions until its expansion pack hit and the hardcore COH players stuck with it well until the expansion pack came out. They're going to add 2 more demigods for free and more after that but no word if those will be free or not (I imagine if the game does really well they'll be free) as well as free maps.

I'm not really worried, personally.

This is what I like to hear. I'm a big fan of Stardock's work so I may very well just go ahead and order this. I haven't been disappointed by any of their products as of yet.

Takeda Kenshi said:
This is what I like to hear. I'm a big fan of Stardock's work so I may very well just go ahead and order this. I haven't been disappointed by any of their products as of yet.

Stardock is only publishing this game, as far as I know.

blitz64

Demigod is publish by Stardock. Developers are Gas powered games.

Stardock has had a good track record for all it's publish games. Here are some metacritic review scores of Stardock games so Demigod might get similar score.

PC Games: Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar (2007) 91

PC Games: Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor (2008) 92

PC Games: Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords (2006) 86

PC Games: Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment (2009) 86

PC Games: Sins of a Solar Empire (2008) 88

godhandiscen

The Gamestop at my city, San Luis Obispo CA, broke the street date. I would have bought it if it wasn't for the fact that I preordered the limited edition. :(

^ Game is unlocking for people who were beta testers now. People who preordered but weren't beta testers are still getting in today, but it'll be a bit longer as they have to charge them and what not.

Downloading at 1.6 MBps now.

Median

The Impulse website says that their stuff won't install on Windows 7. Can anyone confirm that Demigod will/will not install under Windows 7?

For the person who asked earlier, the Single-player is pretty much Unreal Tournament's tournament mode. That may or may not be a good thing depending on how much you enjoy RTS campaigns.

JudgeN

Picked up from Gamestop, they gutted the all there cases but I let it slide because they broke they street date :lol

Will play when I get home from work :D

blitz64

Median said:
The Impulse website says that their stuff won't install on Windows 7. Can anyone confirm that Demigod will/will not install under Windows 7?

I have Demigod beta running on Windows 7 32bit for a few months. I read that it works fine in 64bit win7 as well. I think the impulse website is refering to Stardock's windows applications, not games.

I was in gamestop today and notice they had 3 copies of the CE. They were all open and empty boxes. I don't know if they just fill the box up with stuff when you buy it or give you a brand new unopen one.

Everyone who preordered from Stardock or impulse can now download the game.

Ulairi

Banned
I'm going to pick this up, i just don't know if I want to toss them the extra $10 to have a physical copy...

Varshes

JudgeN said:
Picked up from Gamestop, they gutted the all there cases but I let it slide because they broke they street date :lol

Will play when I get home from work :D

Pretty sure it's not street dated.

Top Bottom