• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Demigod Thread

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So many games arriving at my door today. FarCry 2, Stalker Clear Sky and DemiGod.... horrible week for this situation.

JudgeN

Can you overlay steam while playing game? I can get my steam client to come up, just get this crazy chat window.

blitz64

Ulairi said:
I'm going to pick this up, i just don't know if I want to toss them the extra $10 to have a physical copy...

It's not just $10 for the physical copy, it's another $10 for shipping. So it's like paying $20 for the physical copy. I picked just the digital version only.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Teknopathetic said:
For the person who asked earlier, the Single-player is pretty much Unreal Tournament's tournament mode. That may or may not be a good thing depending on how much you enjoy RTS campaigns.

Thanks. This does seem like a game that would be a little less intimidating to a noob online though.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I am not impressed with this game. It seems very light on content, and the graphics aren't quite amazing as I thought they'd be.

godhandiscen said:
So many games arriving at my door today. FarCry 2, Stalker Clear Sky and DemiGod.... horrible week for this situation.

I'd stick with Far Cry 2 and Stalker: Clear Sky.

"I am not impressed with this game. It seems very light on content, and the graphics aren't quite amazing as I thought they'd be."

Uhhhh, it's very much a multiplayer focused game. It's like saying Battlefield 2 is light on content. Completely missing the point.

"Is there a demo?"

Not yet, shortly (like a month).

Chiggs

Gold Member
Teknopathetic said:
Uhhhh, it's very much a multiplayer focused game. It's like saying Battlefield 2 is light on content. Completely missing the point.

I don't think it is. There aren't very many maps and I haven't been really impressed with the upgrades. It's just not doing it for me.

"I don't think it is. There aren't very many maps and I haven't been really impressed with the upgrades. It's just not doing it for me."

Most RTS games don't really have a lot of MP maps to begin with. Off the top of my head, Battleforge had 12 and Dawn of War 2 shipped with like...7?

Of course, if you're not feeling the game you're just not feeling it, but saying "light on content" is a bit silly.

"Do I just update the same Demigod file I've been updating for the beta to get the retail copy?"

You should uninstall first then redownload/install through impulse.

Deadly

Chiggs said:
I don't think it is. There aren't very many maps and I haven't been really impressed with the upgrades. It's just not doing it for me.

If it's anything like DotA, the maps aren't even suppose to matter, it's all about the heroes.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have the game. Anybody on gaf wants to play?
DaFish said:
Do I just update the same Demigod file I've been updating for the beta to get the retail copy?
I did that, and it works just fine. I will reinstall once I get my boxed copy.

Erudite

Tried to play some multiplayer this morning, servers seemed pretty jacked up. Froze for 30 seconds or so every time I tried choosing an option after logging in. Hopefully they have it fixed for tomorrow.

Throw me a friend invite if you guys need another for organized matches.

SteamID: Traced-Velocity.zom
Impulse: Traced-Velocity

"Tried to play some multiplayer this morning, servers seemed pretty jacked up. Froze for 30 seconds or so every time I tried choosing an option after logging in. Hopefully they have it fixed for tomorrow."

Yes, Stardock only had test servers up but since Gamestop broke street date and with pirated copies making patch checks it was way too much of a load for them or some such. They put up the rest of the servers today so everything should be better.

usea

I didn't realize this was out already. Totally grabbing it from Impulse! (impulse rocks btw)

I've never played dota, and I doubt I'll get that much into this. But certainly worth the money! I need a distraction from supcom anyway.

jasonng

First time Impulse user, is anyone else having their game downloading going down to a crawl? It keeps telling me it's downloading at a relatively fast speed but it's going as fast as a 56k modem. Tried downloading other things, works fine.

Anyways, whenever it gets done:

impulse: thisisjasonng
steamid: jasonng

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I bought it but am not sure I'm going to keep it. I haven't opened it yet. I'm a huge fan of Supreme Commander and liked DotA back in the day (never bought Frozen Throne so I've been out of that loop for a while now).

So, hopefully when more reviews come out they are positive enough to convince me to open it.

In the mean time I have a 9-page paper to finish, and research paper to make some graphs and tables for. Also have a presentation tomorrow that I have to practice for at the same time the research paper is due.

edit:

My Impulse is BobsRevenge.

edit 2: Fuck it, I opened it. About to play for a bit.

edit 3: Holy shit, this thing is downloading the update at 700kb/s. I didn't know my connection even got that fast.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wow Impulse if flying, it's 2.82 gigs, I started the download, went for a crap and came back to it being 52% done. I figured they'd be getting hammered today.

Around the time of Sins of a Solar Empire, Stardock got some real *real* good file servers, it pretty much maxes my bandwidth for every download.

Also, it appears that the friends list in-game is different from your actual Impulse friends list, so add the names in-game (press shift+tab to open up the friends list and stuff). Or something like that.

Sinatar said:
Wow Impulse if flying, it's 2.82 gigs, I started the download, went for a crap and came back to it being 52% done. I figured they'd be getting hammered today.

Yes, this impressed me as well. I get the maximum for my internet connection continuously (1.8 MB/s).

TheExodu5

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"I've never played DotA, but I'd be interested in hearing what those things are. More interested than seeing people argue about SupCom, anyway. That shows that the developers want Demigod to stand on it's own rather than just act as a reskin of DotA."

For one, they've removed last hitting/denying, which is a pretty big deal in DotA. Last hitting is making sure your hero gets the last hit on a creep (the AI peons) to get the gold for the kill. Denying means getting the last hit on an allied creep to deny your enemy XP.

Also gone is the whole item recipe thing, which I'm pretty sure was just a workaround for the WC3 UI anyway. In DotA these are items that basically made from combinations of other items, there's a big chart out there somewhere with all the items and combinations and it's just a mess.

And there's the aforementioned citadel upgrade/war score/flag control stuff.

Sounds like streamlining/improvement to me. I always thought last hitting and denying was a really stupid tactic.

f@luS

More than a member.
seriously game i havent played the beta

but i play dota daily. I play more dota than PS3/360/WII/PC together
its my goty for 3 years

will this do it for me?

its only 30€ on impulse with the exchange rate

i have 4850 OC , C2D@3.2 , and 4gb DDR (vista)

will this run at max?

"seriously game i havent played the beta

but i play dota daily. I play more dota than PS3/360/WII/PC together
its my goty for 3 years

will this do it for me?

its only 30€ on impulse with the exchange rate

i have 4850 OC , C2D@3.2 , and 4gb DDR (vista)

will this run at max?"

It is not DOTA 2.0. If DOTA is the game you love, this game is not going to replace it for you. It is the same basic formula, but it's not the same end result. If you're able to go into the game not expecting DOTA but something in the same genre (like going from RPG to RPG or Action game to Action game) you might enjoy it.

288nu5t.jpg

2cqf9d3.jpg

2e67wut.jpg

29peljq.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just played through a single player tournament to get my bearings and wow what a fun game. Played as the Torchbearer and was slaughtering dudes in ice form, rain of ice is beastly.

Seems to be some kind of nasty memory leak though, about 5 matches in my framerate took an absolutely nosedive from buttery smooth to like 10 fps for no discernable reason.

"trying tu buy it the store is so slow
order processing for 3m"

The stardock web/matchmaking servers are apparently getting hammered so they're up and down at the moment. Be careful not to accidentally get double/triple/quadruple charged from retrying.

Big-E

Ya online seems to be broken right now but managed to get through some of the single player and liked it. Enough is the same but enough is different to make it a bit more unique and fresh compared to just being a reskinned DotA.

f@luS

More than a member.
Teknopathetic said:
"trying tu buy it the store is so slow
order processing for 3m"

The stardock web/matchmaking servers are apparently getting hammered so they're up and down at the moment. Be careful not to accidentally get double/triple/quadruple charged from retrying.
well i closed the page because i had paypal confirmation order email

but
i need serial number...and i dont have
crap
im screwed

"well i closed the page because i had paypal confirmation order email

but
crap
im screwed"

Did you create an Impulse account? The serial will already be tied to that, I believe. Otherwise, give it a bit for the servers to catch up.

Really fun game, but for a multiplayer core game, you would think they would have their networking shit in line - long waits / broken connections / freeze ups / skirmishes starting with only 2 people and 8 bots galore

No way to play anything besides custom with people you know(?) kinda sucks, would be nice to be able to skirmish with a party or something - I haven't been able to successfully join a custom game yet, pantheon + skirm take 5-10+ mins to get a game going during which you have to sit there with a button in the middle of your screen

Impulse is okayish, it's no steam, i do like the irc chat built right in though

hopefully the game overcomes the technical issues, had a crazy 3 hour game last night, love some of the demigods, heard they have 2 more ready for us in the near future :eek:

f@luS

More than a member.
Teknopathetic said:
"well i closed the page because i had paypal confirmation order email

but
crap
im screwed"

Did you create an Impulse account? The serial will already be tied to that, I believe. Otherwise, give it a bit for the servers to catch up.
i just did. now it ask me a product registration with a serial number. I dont have any, i just have the paypal confirmation that i just paid 40$ to stardock

"hopefully the game overcomes the technical issues, had a crazy 3 hour game last night, love some of the demigods, heard they have 2 more ready for us in the near future :eek:"

The technical kinks definitely need working out. Though, the sluggishness in menus is due to server load which should be resolved in a few days of them adding new servers. The weird thing with this game is the way they're handling peer-to-peer connections is basically having *everyone* connect to *everyone* instead of the host basically being the server and everyone connecting to them. That makes a large amount of simultaneous connections which apparently older/crappy routers don't like? Dunno, I don't think there was anything really wrong with the usual system and the idea behind this one is that you wouldn't have to muck around with port forwarding and the like, but that seems to have backfired so far.

f@luS

More than a member.
the only email i got is the paypal confirmation
"receipt for stardock's paiement / You just sent 39.95$ USD to stardock"
its a paypal mail, not stardock

Nikorasu

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Anyone get the collector's edition? It's pretty cheap on Amazon, 47 bucks, so wondering if the extra contents are worth it.

I just picked it up. It's...ok. Really chintzy pewter figure and I haven't really listened to the soundtrack yet. There is also a poster. I think overall I might have preferred the regular edition for the dvd case. Collectors just gives you a folding cardboard disc sleeve with some nice art.

Top Bottom