• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/06 - 04/12

spwolf

toypop said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10244113817.html

Shinobi confirmed "3%" Deca Sporta2 ratio.

FF7ACC's 1st day sales will be over 100k, it's impressive as a BD movie, but he believe retailers have expected more.
60-70k are from packages, other 30k are from bundles and DVD retailers.
(Unlike typical games, FF7ACC had separated distribution route as a DVD movie for non gaming retailers)

what is the difference between bundle and package? package is standalone movie with demo?

toypop

spwolf said:
what is the difference between bundle and package? package is standalone movie with demo?

Ah, I meant the package is Limited BD w/ ff13 demo. and bundle is BD+Demo+160gbPS3 one.

Thanks, now edited.

donny2112

In all the Deca Sports 2 "sky is fallingness," it might be useful to recall a theory postulated as to why Deca Sports 1 sold. It had the words Wii Sports in its name and launched at a time that Wii Sports was still popular. I don't know if Deca Sports 2 has Wii Sports in its name, but Wii Sports definitely isn't anywhere near as popular on a weekly basis in Japan as it used to be. Also, legs, and, yes, Wii software is generally very down, right now, because jack-all has been released for the system for pretty much the entire year.

Ahem.

Luckyman said:
Sports Resort could be in trouble

:lol

Top-selling game of the year in Japan "could be" in trouble.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
In all the Deca Sports 2 "sky is fallingness," it might be useful to recall a theory postulated as to why Deca Sports 1 sold. It had the words Wii Sports in its name and launched at a time that Wii Sports was still popular. I don't know if Deca Sports 2 has Wii Sports in its name, but Wii Sports definitely isn't anywhere near as popular on a weekly basis in Japan as it used to be. Also, legs, and, yes, Wii software is generally very down, right now, because jack-all has been released for the system for pretty much the entire year.

it's also a sequel to a bad game and i think the "sins of the father" theory still holds up. in fact, sinobi alludes to this.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Wii software is generally very down, right now, because jack-all has been released for the system for pretty much the entire year.

Maybe this is what Analysts meant when they said that the Wii would see a negative in sales and the PS3 would win (damnit where is that gif when I need it). With the sky falling maybe we will begin to see people returning the Wii!

it's also a sequel to a bad game and i think the "sins of the father" theory still holds up. in fact, sinobi alludes to this.

I very much thinks thats the case

donny2112

markatisu said:
With the sky falling maybe we will begin to see people returning the Wii!

This made me think of the shooting aliens coming at you game in Super Scope 6. Nintendo needs to bring the Super Scope games to the VC. :D

Spiegel

Stumpokapow said:

Being a bad game and all, it surprisingly showed some nice legs (66k first week - 241k ltd) and it's a million seller worldwide iirc

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
Doubtful, that is one time being a Nintendo game will keep it afloat it for some reason it does not have the Wii Fit appeal

People keep ignoring the first Deca Sports was not a quality game, it sold well yes but was panned in review after review. Similar to the FF RoF and EoT situation, yes it was Final Fantasy but the game made no changes to fix the problems and left a sour taste in a lot of fans mouths so EoT came in severely underwhelming.

From all accounts Deca Sports 2 was a "better" game but it might not have mattered if the first one left those 200k feeling like they were took

Maybe the "casual" crowd is getting smarter than all you give it credit for
What review scores did Deca Sports 1 get? I can only find the Famitsu review score of it, which is 6/6/6/6 (24/40). In comparision, Deca Sports 2 got 7/7/7/7 (28/40) from Famitsu.

markatisu

Spiegel said:
Being a bad game and all, it surprisingly showed some nice legs (66k first week - 241k ltd) and it's a million seller worldwide iirc

But that was a time the Wii was riding its high sales wave was it not? You could conceive the argument that people were buying it alongside Wii Sports and benefited from an almost "launch" type of effect

Not sure about Japan but its metacritic score is 50

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/decasports?q=deca sports

By all accounts Deca Sports 2 is a better game, could be too late for anyone to care though

donny2112

markatisu said:
But that was a time the Wii was riding its high sales wave was it not?

not. Deca Sports was released in March 2008. The high sales from launch ended in August 2007. Wii was more popular in March 2008, of course, though. At the time we were talking about whether it would slide below 40K per week before Mario Kart hit or not, IIRC.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 226 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 179.3 weeks (Augut 5, 2003), where DS was at 99.5 weeks (October 25, 2006), and where GBA was at 152.8 weeks (February 21, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 174 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 16.6 weeks (January 3, 2002), where PS3 was at 35.7 weeks (July 13, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.1 weeks (January 1, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 126 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 42.4 weeks (December 20, 2000), where PSP was at 64.1 weeks (February 27, 2006), where GCN was at 120.4 weeks (December 30, 2003), and where Wii was at 33.2 weeks (July 16, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 123 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 94.9 weeks (January 11, 2003), where DS was at 76.3 weeks (May 16, 2006), where PS2 was at 113.9 weeks (May 4, 2002), and where PSP was at 164.7 weeks (February 1, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 23 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 44.2 weeks (December 16, 2003) and where DSL was at 13.8 weeks (June 3, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 53.8 / 46.2 bring total shares to 68.5 / 31.5. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 346.2 weeks (December 1, 2015).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 37.8 / 62.2 bring total shares to 24.8 / 75.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 198.9 weeks (February 3, 2013).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 55.6 / 44.4 bring total shares to 27.6 / 72.4. This is the first time PS3 has outsold Wii seven weeks in a row. At this week's rates PS3 catches up to Wii in 1,458.8 weeks (March 28, 2037). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 292.8 weeks (November 22, 2014).

Week over week, everything is down... except X360.
X360

Through the first fifteen weeks of the year, almost everything is down by some degree. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -63.5%
DSL+DSi: -3.0%
PS2: -53.4%
PS3: +5.2%
PSP: -40.0%
X360: +227.3%

Home hardware: -39.8%
Portable hardware: -22.7%
Sum of all hardware: -29.8%

By Media Create's reckoning, PS3 hits 3 million in its 127th week.
mc

Spiegel said:
Being a bad game and all, it surprisingly showed some nice legs (66k first week - 241k ltd)
Yeah, that's what I was going to say.
2823+-+Deca+Sporta%3A+Wii+de+Sports+10+Shumoku%21+-+Wii
[/img]

wrowa

Stumpokapow said:
CASUALBOMBA

A bomba so massive it can only be explained by an misreading of fickle casuals?

We Ski 2 foreshadowed this a little bit, really.
Casualbomba is nice, but
Fuu said:
bombasual
is simply awesome. Fuu is the winner! :lol

donny2112 said:
It certainly is not in trouble, but by now it wouldn't surprise me if the sales of Sports Resort won't satisfy Nintendo. I already have serious doubts that it will push the Wii hardware in a big way since months (simply because I believe that most people who are interested in Sports Resorts already own a Wii and it's difficult for me to imagine people who haven't bought a Wii by now because of Wii Sports will buy a Wii because of Resort), but if I think about it I just don't think that Resort will have the same appeal as the original. At least the in Resort included sports we know of so far are pretty banal and are not even remotely as popular as sports like Tennis or Bowling. At the same time I am worried about the future of Motion Plus. Will the people understand what it is for? Will they understand that certain games are not possible without it or will they reject it because they are of the opinion that the normal Wiimote is already enough? After all Motion Plus makes "only" that possible what people thought they'll get with the Wiimote right from the beginning. "Motion Plus makes complex motion controls possible? I thought that is what the Wiimote is for? I already can play Tennis in Wii Sports trough movement!"

test_account

XP-39C²
Speaking about Wii Sports, does anyone knows how the used market for Wii Sports is in Japan? Concidering how many copies that Wii Sports have sold in Japan, are there alot of used copies for sales now?

markatisu said:
Not sure about Japan but its metacritic score is 50

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/decasports?q=deca sports

By all accounts Deca Sports 2 is a better game, could be too late for anyone to care though
Ah ok, thanks for the link :) Deca Sports 1 wasnt exactly the highest rated game indeed.

gcubed

i thought the wii was ahead of the ps2, did the recent sales slump drop it behind, or has it always been behind?

donny2112

gcubed said:
i thought the wii was ahead of the ps2, did the recent sales slump drop it behind, or has it always been behind?

I think it's been behind since early/mid-2008. Garaph.info should be able to tell you more precisely, if you graph the two since their respective launches using Famitsu data.

donny2112 said:
I think it's been behind since early/mid-2008. Garaph.info should be able to tell you more precisely, if you graph the two since their respective launches using Famitsu data.
Like this:

2000-02-28

Looking at those lines, it seems that the previous big Wii lead may have been completely due to (severe) supply issues during the end of the PS2's first year; notice there's no holiday spike for 2000. The sales pace was otherwise pretty parallel, until Wii's flattening this year which is the exact opposite of what PS2 did in 2002.

spwolf

Liabe Brave said:
Like this:

2000-02-28

Looking at those lines, it seems that the previous big Wii lead may have been completely due to (severe) supply issues during the end of the PS2's first year; notice there's no holiday spike for 2000. The sales pace was otherwise pretty parallel, until Wii's flattening this year which is the exact opposite of what PS2 did in 2002.

yep... where is that Segata when I need cold beer?! :)

Busaiku

Seems Muramasa's a hit.
In software, Capcom's Sengoku era PSP fighting game Sengoku Basara Battle Heroes topped the charts with 85,731 units, beating out Wii's Muramasa Demon Blade. The latter is apparently in short supply, with Marvelous having recently issued a statement apologizing for low stocks.

donny2112

Famitsu Mar 30-Apr 5

01./01. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Namco Bandai Games) - 29,971 / 114,904 (-65%)
02./00. [NDS] Pro Baseball Famista DS 2009 (Namco Bandai Games) - 28,750 / NEW
03./06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 27,890 / 583,312 (-7%)
04./05. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 27,089 / 494,980 (-10%)
05./07. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2009 (#15) (Konami) - 20,965 / 93,807 (-27%)
06./08. [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (Koei) - 15,872 / 177,131 (-24%)
07./02. [NDS] Super Robot Taisen K (Namco Bandai Games) - 15,071 / 184,618 (-60%)
08./04. [PSP] Disgaea 2 Portable (Nippon Ichi Software) - 14,348 / 49,667 (-59%)
09./15. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai Games) - 12,924 / 484,657 (+9%)
10./00. [PS3] Winning Post World (Koei) - 12,179 / NEW

11./03. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Stardust Accelerator World Championship 2009 (Konami) - 11,956 / 48,447 (-67%)
12./13. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 11,883 / 1,663,307 (-12%)
13./12. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 11,711 / 3,280,617 (-16%)
14./09. [NDS] Rittai Picross (3D) (Nintendo) - 11,266 / 93,113 (-39%)
15./10. [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 10,742 / 439,287 (-33%)
16./00. [360] 11eyes CrossOver (5pb) - 10,022 / NEW
17./25. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Little Magician's Magic Adventure) (Konami) - 9,737 / 345,060 (+1%)
18./23. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 11 (Konami) - 8,499 / 211,788 (-12%)
19./18. [WII] Play on Wii: Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) - 8,408 / 61,945 (-19%)
20./00. [PS2] Winning Post World (Koei) - 7,707 / NEW
21./27. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo) - 7,657 / 800,245 (-10%)
22./22. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid (Koei) - 7,642 / 363,426 (-24%)
23./28. [NDS] Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi wo Yobu Nendororon Daihenshin! (Namco Bandai Games) - 7,019 / 29,124 (-15%)
24./19. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Next (Konami) - 6,989 / 35,942 (-33%)
25./29. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 6,598 / 2,210,028 (-16%)
26./00. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 6,583 / 4,971,446
27./30. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) - 6,378 / 466,164 (-18%)
28./24. [PSP] Harvest Moon: Sugar Village and Everyone's Request (Marvelous) - 6,335 / 36,422 (-35%)
29./00. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai Games) - 6,308 / 542,724
30./11. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade (Hudson) - 6,190 / 21,269 (-59%)

*. [NDS] Disney Fairies: Tinker Bell (Disney Interactive Studios) - 1,500 / NEW
*. [WII] Winning Post World (Koei) - 1,300 / NEW
*. [WII] Doala de Wii (Tera Box) - 1,200 / NEW
*. [NDS] Pachi & Slot Hisshoubon DS (Dorart) - 970 / NEW

Bar Chart Mar 30-Apr 5 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-03-30

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Mar 23-29, 2009
Mar 2-8, 2009
Mar 9-15, 2009
Mar 16-22, 2009

Rolf NB

donny2112 said:
Also, legs, and, yes, Wii software is generally very down, right now, because jack-all has been released for the system for pretty much the entire year.
I demand that we drop this reasoning for explaining weak software openings. It's at best circular and at worst self-contradictory. If sales are weak, how is it an explanation if you say "but sales have been weak for a while"? If new releases truly are sparse, how does that explain weak openings? Shouldn't the audience converge on the few new releases and push them higher instead?

Defuser

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder how Square-Enix would react if something did beat DQIX in total sales this year. Assuming DQIX doesn't slip to December or something.
The only thing Wada should worry is drowning in a pool of money generated by DQIX sales.

Kenka

Defuser said:
The only thing Wada should worry is drowning in a pool of money generated by DQIX sales.

Wada should be worried about his own head. This idiot hasn't done a single thing right. S-E was once one of the leaders of the software industry and nothing but a bunch of clowns this gen.

bcn-ron said:
I demand that we drop this reasoning for explaining weak software openings. It's at best circular and at worst self-contradictory. If sales are weak, how is it an explanation if you say "but sales have been weak for a while"? If new releases truly are sparse, how does that explain weak openings? Shouldn't the audience converge on the few new releases and push them higher instead?

Well, without wanting to put words in anyone's mouth, I suspect the argument would be that when there are so few new releases - or so few significant new releases - the audience falls out of the habit of looking for and buying new software, perhaps only turning up for the major releases that have correspondingly large publicity campaigns.

Fewer big, interesting releases means fewer people regularly checking for new software, which means the smaller releases suffer with weak openings and lower sales.

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder how Square-Enix would react if something did beat DQIX in total sales this year. Assuming DQIX doesn't slip to December or something.
Hmm. That would be pretty tough to do. This generation has seen a handful of games that top most/any Dragon Quest's numbers, but they all took their sweet time getting so high. Well, Diamond/Pearl reaching 4 million in 3 months was pretty quick.

swerve

Regarding Wii's fortunes in the next two months, it looks from the release list like Sports Resort is coming out in Japan on the 18th of June (seeing as there are no other wii releases that week). Thing is, Japan doesn't have Virtua Tennis, Tiger Woods or Grand Slam Tennis to make the Motion Plus splash that the US and Europe have.

I wonder if there are any other games lined up to pad it out, or if it's a sports resort device for the summer. If it's just WSR, then it's going to have trouble lifting the fog alone. Unless it's *amazing*.

Takt of Magic should have used it, maybe. And a DQ Swords 2 should have been there for launch.

In fact, there are only 4 Wii games coming out in May, and 5 in June, according to the current schedule.

markatisu

Spiegel said:
Bad distribution != being a hit. Basara psp sold 99% of its first shipment in three days but the game is in stock right now.

I agree, but if there is low stock and another shipment (since it sold 75-90% depending on tracker) at least that bodes well for meeting their set expectation.

farnham

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm. That would be pretty tough to do. This generation has seen a handful of games that top most/any Dragon Quest's numbers, but they all took their sweet time getting so high. Well, Diamond/Pearl reaching 4 million in 3 months was pretty quick.
yeah but dragon quest never was as big as pokemon

JoshuaJSlone said:
Not insinuating it's likely, but I wonder if it would get SE rethinking their strategies at all.

gtj1092

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, without wanting to put words in anyone's mouth, I suspect the argument would be that when there are so few new releases - or so few significant new releases - the audience falls out of the habit of looking for and buying new software, perhaps only turning up for the major releases that have correspondingly large publicity campaigns.

Fewer big, interesting releases means fewer people regularly checking for new software, which means the smaller releases suffer with weak openings and lower sales.

If there is no one out looking for games why the continued selling of catalog games? Why are there still more Wii titles in the top 50 than Ps3?

swerve said:
Regarding Wii's fortunes in the next two months, it looks from the release list like Sports Resort is coming out in Japan on the 18th of June (seeing as there are no other wii releases that week). Thing is, Japan doesn't have Virtua Tennis, Tiger Woods or Grand Slam Tennis to make the Motion Plus splash that the US and Europe have.

Grand Slam Tennis should be released in Japan, cause i remember one week ago or two it appeared on Famitsu scans.

swerve

Moor-Angol said:
Grand Slam Tennis should be released in Japan, cause i remember one week ago or two it appeared on Famitsu scans.

But it's not on the release lists. I'm very much expecting it to get released (hoping so, as I only have a J-Wii), but it doesn't seem like it's coming out for the Motion Plus Party.

gtj1092 said:
If there is no one out looking for games why the continued selling of catalog games? Why are there still more Wii titles in the top 50 than Ps3?
Who do you think are buying these catalog games?

ShockingAlberto said:
Not insinuating it's likely, but I wonder if it would get SE rethinking their strategies at all.
What sort of change are you thinking? I mean, even if DQIX did "bad" and failed to hit 3 million, it's not like that would be cause for some strategy where they no longer make big titles.

Spiegel said:
Bad distribution != being a hit. Basara psp sold 99% of its first shipment in three days but the game is in stock right now.

I agree that the game didn't get as much shipment as it needed, but going by the charts Muramasa is doing exactly up to Marvelous's expectations.

donny2112

Cosmonaut X said:

Yes. Thanks. :)

gtj1092 said:

Do you recall the total weekly sales numbers Dengeki used to release? By the time they stopped reporting the totals, Wii was at or below PS3 for each week, and I believe this was before Yakuza 3 and RE5 were released.

donny2112 said:
Do you recall the total weekly sales numbers Dengeki used to release? By the time they stopped reporting the totals, Wii was at or below PS3 for each week, and I believe this was before Yakuza 3 and RE5 were released.
I know it and the Dengeki numbers don't always agree, but going by the Famitsu Software Pie, there was one week prior to Yakuza 3 this year where PS3 software beat Wii: the week of Street Fighter IV. It then did the week of Yakuza 3, Resident Evil 5, and one after, but not since.

Code:
Week        PS3%  Wii%
2009-01-05   8.5  [b]21.2[/b]
2009-01-12  13.9  [b]22.9[/b]
2009-01-19   9.9  [b]25.7[/b]
2009-01-26   5.4  [b]13.7[/b]
2009-02-02  11.8  [b]16.5[/b]
2009-02-09  [b]13.5[/b]  11.6
2009-02-16   6.6  [b]11.4[/b]
2009-02-23  [b]27.3[/b]  11.3
2009-03-02  [b]32.0[/b]   8.8
2009-03-09  [b]23.6[/b]  14.6
2009-03-16   9.8  [b]12.6[/b]
2009-03-23   7.7  [b]12.9[/b]
2009-03-30   9.5  [b]13.8[/b]

Famitsu Software Stuff

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) remains in the top 10, and continues increasing its lead over the previous games in the series. There's little telling where this one will end up. Since it hasn't behaved like the previous two games, using them as a model isn't appropriate. And since the last few weeks of sales are so steady (30K, 29K, 30K, 27K) it's hard to predict its eventual pattern down to negligible sales.

The numbers in this week's Top 30 are quite low, which leads to a few interesting results. For instance, when Yakuza 3 placed 30th last week, I said that would be the last we saw of it in the Top 30. However, this week it managed to both move up three places on the list and sell 1400 fewer copies than the week before.
3445+-+Yakuza+3+-+PS3

Also burbling up on the bottom thanks to the low barrier are two old DS favorites, Animal Crossing Wild World and Taiko Drum Master 2.

Animal Crossing has continued at a pace of about 6K a week, and so should pass 5 million with about 5 more weeks of sales.

Taiko DS 2 (2860) makes its first appearance on the charts in over 2 months, and in the meantime has added over 50K to its total. This apparently has it passing up the original Taiko DS (297), but since it's had great legs too, it's probably gained a bit since we last saw an update for it at the end of 2008, too. It's a good thing Taiko DS2 had an updated sales total this week; otherwise, it's previously known total of 484,186 would've been surpassed this week by Taiko Wii at 484,657.
Wii

Another incredible effect of such a low week: my Famitsu Top 30 Software bar generator can't muster up the will to add a display number higher than 0 for the Y axis. Truly, this week's sales are better than nothing.
2009-03-30

Rolf NB

Famitsu said:
25./29. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 6,598 / 2,210,028 (-16%)
26./00. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 6,583 / 4,971,446
27./30. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) - 6,378 / 466,164 (-18%)
28./24. [PSP] Harvest Moon: Sugar Village and Everyone's Request (Marvelous) - 6,335 / 36,422 (-35%)
29./00. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai Games) - 6,308 / 542,724
30./11. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade (Hudson) - 6,190 / 21,269 (-59%)
Media Create said:
34. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI)
Probably safe to say it did another 5k this week and should now have crossed 100k. Did I mention that this should have been its initial shipment? I think I might have.

dolemite

bcn-ron said:
Probably safe to say it did another 5k this week and should now have crossed 100k. Did I mention that this should have been its initial shipment? I think I might have.
I demand a US version and I demand it now.

Cygnus X-1

donny2112 said:

Actually, if with the statement "in trouble", we mean that the game will bomb, of course I would second your post. But if instead we mean that the game will sell less then predicted, I would not laugh. It's possible.

Brofist

Cygnus X-1 said:
Actually, if with the statement "in trouble", we mean that the game will bomb, of course I would second your post. But if instead we mean that the game will sell less then predicted, I would not laugh. It's possible.

Personally I don't think it'll do as well as the first.

Top Bottom