• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy Creators Return with Ambitious Casual Adventure '3 Cards to Midnight'.

TCMFinalPoster.jpg

In the first chapter of what appears to be a series, we are now just days away from the puzzle laden, sorta-hidden object game 3 Cards to Midnight. It will be available for download on May 6th.

three-cards-to-midnight-20080910013351813.jpg

three-cards-to-midnight-20080910013334314.jpg

This game was actually announced months ago, last September. But its recent trailer was only recently released (see it here), and as one can see, it looks appropriately mysterious. In interviews Aaron Connors and Chris Jones have stated they want a strong narrative, and these dudes can deliver that. Hell, it might turn out to be like solid, like real good, man. A strong contender for the best hidden object game ever? It just might be.

bigfinishgames.com said:
Q: What kind of game is Three Cards to Midnight?
TCM is a new style of game with elements of traditional adventure games and casual games built around a compelling story experience. The game is for PC and will be available initially as a download. Plans to offer a special boxed edition and, possibly release on other platforms, are being discussed. See the "Game Features" section on our home page for story details and other game information.

Q: What is the gameplay?
The gameplay is one part solving puzzles and one part what we call "word play". You search locations to find objects that connect to specific "keywords". For example, the first keyword in the game is NOTE; objects you can find include a Quarter, a Foot, a Key, and a Book – all of which connect to the word Note (Quarter Note, Footnote, Keynote, Notebook). When you find all the required objects, a memory is unlocked that has something to do with the Keyword.

In context, you must figure out how to unlock memories (or flashbacks) of people and events associated with a series of specific locations. As more and more flashbacks are unlocked, they begin to fit together like a mosaic, gradually revealing the full story.

Q: What were the inspiration and influences for Three Cards to Midnight?
We've had the idea for the story for a long time – too long ago to remember where the seeds of the story came from. We were definitely influenced by one of our favorite movies, The Usual Suspects, particularly in the story structure (telling the story in a series of flashbacks). The biggest influence has to be the old Twilight Zone TV series, both in tone and execution. We love how they told great stories by playing on the viewer's imagination, rather than making everything explicit and obvious. And they were masters at creating suspense and sending chills down the spine without resorting to cheap scare tactics or gratuitous violence.

So there you have it.

I forgot to mention the awfully nice people at AdventureGamers.com that made the op possible, as this game has been otherwise nearly invisible in the press.

Also. In the developer's website, they have three announced projects, a followup to this game, and a lacking in news but I'm sure that's only a coincidence project named 'Fedora'.

What could they possibly be doing that would carry that name?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
HyperZone<3 said:
I forgot to mention the awfully nice people at AdventureGamers.com that made the op possible, as this game has been otherwise nearly invisible in the press.

Also. In the developer's website, they have three announced projects, a followup to this game, and a lacking in news but I'm sure that's only a coincidence project named 'Fedora'.

What could they possibly be doing that would carry that name?

This:

fedora.jpg

aparisi2274

I may have to check this out. I was a huge fan of the Tex Murphy games back in the day!!

I wish they made another Tex Murphy game :(

D-X

Tex Murphy series was so damn good - I'm still waiting for a resolution to my Overseer cliffhanger.

I don't usually download games but I will go out of my ways to support these guys.

Fedora best want to be a Tex Murphy game...that would be a true Megaton and I'd be there day 1!

Was that Chris Jones' voice at the other end of the phone? Sounds just like him

Clipper

I've been following the exploits of Aaron and Chris off and on for years waiting to see if we could ever get another Tex. The official radio plays, fan projects, etc. whetted the appetite quite nicely, but I was so pleased to hear about 3CTM the first time a month or so ago.

Now, hearing about this "Fedora" project nearly floored me. This is going to be great, and I can't wait to find out what it is, even if it isn't Tex (but come on, it has to be!).

Zachack

On one hand I want more Tex Murphy but on the other hand that "word puzzle" bit sounds a lot like the garbage that infested The 11th Hour.

edit: and the poster looks like a parody of "arcane mystery" posters.

Clipper

I'm surprised the release details of this haven't shown up yet. The game release in less than an hour! It drops at 7pm ET, $20, downloadable from Big Finish Games. A little more than I expected, but still a good price.

Only problem is I won't be able to play it until tonight seeing as I'm in Australia. Still, purchasing and setting up the download as soon as it launches, though.

Edit: Aaaggh! Two hour delay. New time is 7pm Mountain time. Oh well, I guess that just means no downloading this morning for me.

Bebpo

Banned
On chapter 3. Not sure how I feel about it. I absolutely hate that you have to replay an entire chapter and not just a specific card to improve your rating on that card. I also don't like how long it takes to physically DO most of the puzzles even if you know exactly what to do (just the dragging/dropping many pieces takes a while), which is why I don't want to replay all 3 cards to just improve one score.

Also the tiny tiny window for cutscenes is lol-tastic and the word association gameplay has some kind of iffy choices.

But the story is alright, and the puzzles are ok fun. Right now it's sort of C- territory and certainly not worth $20 ($10 would be more fair imo).

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I hate doing is playing adventure games day 1 before any hints or walkthroughs exist. I get stuck on something and then I'm screwed >_<

The "spot the differences puzzle" in ch.3 for example. I got 11 out of the 12 real quick, but finding the last one took me 30 mins of staring which got a little annoying by the end. I think it's a bad gameplay design that only some of the real puzzles have hints and others have none at all like that one.

GhaleonQ

I wish them luck, but it's definitely not for the typical adventure game audience (although I suppose these days, "typical" is probably the adult impulse buyer they're attracting).

Bebpo

Banned
Finished it and unfortunately thought was fairly mediocre. The last bunch of chapters didn't even have any puzzles and the 2nd half of the chapters that did have puzzles just re-used puzzles from the first half. There just weren't many puzzle types so the variety was weak.

The story was ehhhhh. It started off ok as a detective mystery kind of thing with some slight supernatural. But then it did the Indigo Prophecy superpowers/order/etc... thing which was blahhh.

The game felt really CHEAP, even for a low-budget production. A few still CG rooms with objects, a bunch of PS1-CG fmvs, and some really bad voice acting outside of the Detective guy (who I think was the same creator/actor guy who did Tex Murphy's voice). At $20 I felt the game was overpriced, even if it was probably doing so to counter the very small audience it is likely selling to.

I won't be buying their next game at $20. Especially because going by the ending it will be a direct sequel and I don't care for the plot by the end. Maybe on a Steam sale for $10 or if they lower their price to $10-15 I might give it a shot, but I'd also ask that they do some major improvements in the puzzle gameplay with more variety and less re-use.

Rating: C-

Proc

Did I just wake up into another fucking awesome dream???

hoooly shit shit th sihshtisdhtasfjsdf !# ! !@#

edit: holy shit its already out? definitely checking this out asap

BluWacky

ChackanKun said:
So, is the game worth it or not? Nothing to do with Tex Murphy game style right?

Nothing to do with Tex Murphy at all.

Honestly? I don't think it's worth it. The story's okay (although, as Bebpo says, it's very Fahrenheit-esque) but the presentation is absolutely terrible and the gameplay not that great. There are much more entertaining casual adventure games out there with just as many (if not more) puzzles and a much less frustrating central gaming mechanic, although at least it's a slightly different spin on "hidden object" games. God help you if you're not a native English speaker, though, some of the word associations are incredibly obtuse...

I'd recommend all sorts of other casual games over this - Pahelika, Enlightenus, the Azada games, the more recent Mystery Case Files titles, all of these are much more entertaining casual titles even if their storytelling isn't quite as strong.

Top Bottom