• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Midnight Suns | Review Thread

graywolf323

Haha! Man I find it just as tough as Xcom personally. Its done away with timers and all that so the pressure is off, but even on normal Im wondering how some of these missions are possible to get 3 stars on 🤣
same, I’m through 2 ‘days’ in so about 3 missions and I haven’t gotten 3 stars on any except the very first one

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I still haven’t had a chance to play it yet. Fortnite is taking a lot of my time right now.

Questions for those that are playing it.

Can you grind XP?

Is there a reason to grind?

Can you replay missions?

Haha! Man I find it just as tough as Xcom personally. Its done away with timers and all that so the pressure is off, but even on normal Im wondering how some of these missions are possible to get 3 stars on 🤣
It gets easier as you get some of the more OP abilities (the bladestorm ability is just ludicrous). But yeah I had one early on where I’m pretty sure it was impossible to beat (I tried it 6 times). It was mostly tough though because my hand sucked and I had one character that I loaded up with too many heroics so it literally ended up with me having 3 card plays on the second turn even after 4 redraws and no ability to use any cards (it’s the same even after reloading)….and the villain of course decided to show up lol. Just ended up choosing another mission (would have changed cards and tried again but didn’t have any options at that point).

Thing is Xcom would bend you over and basically end your game if you didn’t keep up with upgrading/leveling since the enemies keep getting better regardless if you are or not, this one you can kinda do at your own pace without the worry of falling behind, which to me was always the main difficulty of Xcom. This game‘s difficulty is more like Diablo 3 where if it’s too easy turn the difficulty up, if you run into brick walls turn it down.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just started this tonight on the PS5. It is really, really good if you're into tactical strat games and Marvel comics. The story feels very early 2010's elseworlds. And it plays like a dream for the genre.

My only complaint is that they constantly send reinforcements during boss battles. Reeks of lazy, fabricated increases in challenge because the designers weren't smart enough to bake it into the encounter in more natural feeling ways. But, it doesn't ruin the experience just makes me think "wow this is lazy and stupid".

Last edited:

Hambone

Can you grind XP?

Is there a reason to grind?

I don't think there is a reason to grind per-se, because so far, it's just fun as hell to do side missions to team up different heroes to find synergies between their different power sets., gain xp, cash and intel.

You can research a training room to build that will allow one hero to go in an test their decks out and keep any experience you gain within three rounds. The training room does have once per day per hero limit. There is a level cap for the training room, so you won't get any more xp, but you can still test your decks. I would assume the level cap increases as the story progresses, Hunter levels up, or both.

Last edited:

Corian33

Really excited to give this game a run, definitely looks like my jam. However, I think I’ll wait 6 months or so and get the game+DLC for half the price.

Why in the world would a game with a lengthy single player campaign have a season pass that gradually adds new characters over time? Much prefer to wait and have all the content for one play through.

xrnzaaas

Really excited to give this game a run, definitely looks like my jam. However, I think I’ll wait 6 months or so and get the game+DLC for half the price.

Why in the world would a game with a lengthy single player campaign have a season pass that gradually adds new characters over time? Much prefer to wait and have all the content for one play through.
I don't how replayable Midnight Suns will be, but I've played the entire XCOM2 campaign several times (basic one, with the small DLC's and with the War of the Chosen expansion) and I didn't feel like I was wasting my time doing the same stuff.

Same here. Also after the procedural levels of XCOM 2, there doesn't seem to be anything of the sort in MS. Puzzling as it seems one of the criticisms is samey combat, and that would of helped add variety.

Just lost like 40 minutes of running around and collecting stuff to a fucking crash. I'm close to just selling this game. So close. Second time that happened to me. Fuck that shit.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
same, I’m through 2 ‘days’ in so about 3 missions and I haven’t gotten 3 stars on any except the very first one
Weird, haven't really had any trouble getting 3 stars; remember to reroll, reposition, use environment hazards, shove, quicks with knockback, and marks. Also anything that can apply vulnerable is amazing vs high hp enemies.

The mission where you have to break back into the lab and down wanda 3 times, they didn't even get a chance to act, because I kept killing the fodder with quick knockbacks/shoves, and the nuking the boss with vulnerable and high damage attacks/environment; it's honestly been pretty easy so far.

OuterLimits

I don't how replayable Midnight Suns will be, but I've played the entire XCOM2 campaign several times (basic one, with the small DLC's and with the War of the Chosen expansion) and I didn't feel like I was wasting my time doing the same stuff.

Btw on Xcom, do most people prefer XCOM2 or Enemy Unknown/Within? I still play Enemy Within on occasion but for some reason haven't bought number 2 yet. I heard it had some significant performance issues on consoles early on so kind of forgot about it and moved on to other games.

GymWolf

The abby life sim stuff really isn’t that bad at all. Its not overly time consuming tbh, you do more research and development, upgrading skills and gear, and party management then social stuff.

You only really gotta do a couple quick social things a day. Also, the writing isn’t great, but its entertaining if you’re into the marvel lore/history. Its quippy and to the point mostly.

I’m honestly not sure why anyone would have high expectations for writing in a marvel game. It’s about the same level as the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games
Is everything outside of combat overwhelming for a guy who barely played games of the same genre?

(Like 5-6 hours on gears tactics and maybe a couple of mission on xcom2)

xrnzaaas

Btw on Xcom, do most people prefer XCOM2 or Enemy Unknown/Within? I still play Enemy Within on occasion but for some reason haven't bought number 2 yet. I heard it had some significant performance issues on consoles early on so kind of forgot about it and moved on to other games.
I love them both, but with XCOM2 the fact that you're often being rushed (round limit during missions, Avatar Project in geoscape) is polarizing. Some people hate it, I didn't like it at first, but got used to it.

The performance of the game on the consoles was improved, but it can still crash and has long loading times late in the campaign. I think it runs better on PS4 Pro/PS5.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Is everything outside of combat overwhelming for a guy who barely played games of the same genre?

(Like 5-6 hours on gears tactics and maybe a couple of mission on xcom2)
Not at all, this is one of the most pure "game" game released in a long time, there's a lot of systems, but it's all very logical and it takes its time to explain everything to you.

Coconutt

Whats everyone go to team? Try to usually go in with someone to attack, someone to tank and someone to do crowd control. Haven't finished the game but my ideal team is currently the Spider Man, Ghost Rider, and Captain America. Want to know if anyone found better team compositions possibly.

Mister Wolf

Whats everyone go to team? Try to usually go in with someone to attack, someone to tank and someone to do crowd control. Haven't finished the game but my ideal team is currently the Spider Man, Ghost Rider, and Captain America. Want to know if anyone found better team compositions possibly.

I just unlocked Spiderman. Magik and Hunter are mainstays on my team. The third is interchangeable depending on my mood. I like Blade's bleed ability alot. I put a beating on Venom with Magik's abilities.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Everyone, I never use a "go to" team, they all work together surprisingly well, and it helps a lot that hunter can do pretty much everything herself; Grimm is a monster though.

I like blade, magik, and ghost rider the most, but i usually end up using everyone. Especially with injuries, everyone eventually gets their time. They did a great job of making everyone feel unique, and not like an after thought.

Last edited:
I always have Strange on my team. His ability to buff cards + a heavy hitter like Blade or Cap Marvel and u can go ham on bosses let alone regular grunts. Easy mode.

Esca

Man I've put some decent hours into this game already but have hardly gotten far, still unlocking stuff like the armory lol

Captain America is pretty fucking fun to use. I change my team all the team as I'm enjoying all the combos but blade and ghost rider i like to take along a lot

Freeman76

This game is so damn good, I really love it. Initially didnt buy it due to the Abbey social stuff, but its not even that bad I cant see what all the fuss is about tbh.

There is so much to do, the combat is incredible, loads to tinker with and optimise, its just brilliant.

Im not a Marvel fan at all, but can imagine if you are it must be even better, so much lore and probably references to comics etc.

10/10 game for me I cant find fault with it, and probably the one and only time I'm glad I didnt listen to Karaks review as he is usually spot on for my tastes!

Mister Wolf

Keep in mind when using Magik you can shove enemies through your portals with your allocated "move" points once you've unlocked shoving using your move points through research forgoing the need to use cards like kick and soulblast. Makes her even more versatile.

Last edited:
This game is so damn good, I really love it. Initially didnt buy it due to the Abbey social stuff, but its not even that bad I cant see what all the fuss is about tbh.

There is so much to do, the combat is incredible, loads to tinker with and optimise, its just brilliant.

Im not a Marvel fan at all, but can imagine if you are it must be even better, so much lore and probably references to comics etc.

10/10 game for me I cant find fault with it, and probably the one and only time I'm glad I didnt listen to Karaks review as he is usually spot on for my tastes!

I have to think a lot of reviewers that made a big stink about the abby stuff wanted to rush through the game to review other stuff and found it more tedious to skip through.

I’m actually enjoying the side content and exploring the map. Way more than Fire Emblem that was regulated to same tea time, gardening, and class room cutscenes every single time.

I didn’t expect this game to be my favourite this year in my wildest dreams, especially right after God of War Ragnarok, but this crazy ass game actually did it. The graphics are kinda shite and it’s buggy as hell (don’t upgrade the Hero ops table to do 2 heroes at a time, it will glitch out and crash when you get the result). But the game is addictive as crack otherwise.

The Abbey stuff is actually been my favourite part and I thought it would be the opposite, the dialogue is awesome, along with that whole side mystery of following Wanda and getting the words of power to follow the trail… that Hogwarts game has some big shoes to fill at this point.

Last edited:

amigastar

I didn’t expect this game to be my favourite this year in my wildest dreams, especially right after God of War Ragnarok, but this crazy ass game actually did it. The graphics are kinda shite and it’s buggy as hell (don’t upgrade the Hero ops table to do 2 heroes at a time, it will glitch out and crash when you get the result). But the game is addictive as crack otherwise.

The Abbey stuff is actually been my favourite part and I thought it would be the opposite, the dialogue is awesome, along with that whole side mystery of following Wanda and getting the words of power to follow the trail… that Hogwarts game has some big shoes to fill at this point.
Agreed, i love all aspects of the game. Tactical stuff is pretty amazing. I'm having so much fun with the game.

Freeman76

I just finished chapter 1, still really enjoying it. Been playing it all week, is it just the 2 chapters for now? Might slow down a bit if im near the end, feels like the friendahips are starting to near max level and the chests arent giving many rewards now as ive unlocked so much cosmetic shit lol

I just finished chapter 1, still really enjoying it. Been playing it all week, is it just the 2 chapters for now? Might slow down a bit if im near the end, feels like the friendahips are starting to near max level and the chests arent giving many rewards now as ive unlocked so much cosmetic shit lol
There’s 3 chapters. It felt like the first was the longest, but it might just be because that was when I did most of the Abbey stuff.

With chests by the end I was basically ignoring the legendary and epic chests completely since I could open the common and rare ones for free with the arcane perks, and it gives you whatever cosmetics from the pool of ones you have left. So if I just unlocked a Midnight Suns suit for a character since I already had all the other cosmetics I’d just simply find 3 common/rare chests on the map that reset and that would net me all the suit skins for that character.

Last edited:

amigastar

Got a question,
do the Main Missions level up with you or can i get an advantage by completing side missions and level up?

Got a question,
do the Main Missions level up with you or can i get an advantage by completing side missions and level up?
They level up with you, but grinding out certain things can give you a big advantage like getting friendship bonuses done (the passives you get really make things easier) and yard upgrades (getting the shove move and increased environmental damage etc.)

amigastar

They level up with you, but grinding out certain things can give you a big advantage like getting friendship bonuses done (the passives you get really make things easier) and yard upgrades (getting the shove move and increased environmental damage etc.)
Ah, ok too bad. I thought i can get an advantage but friendship bonuses sounds nice also.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm very happy with this game. It reminds me of the DBZ rom I used to play on my SNES emulator. It was an adventure/rpg/card game, somewhat similar to this. It was all in Japanese, but I loved DBZ so much, that I pushed through and learned to play the game without subtitles. This game is an awesome callback to that game, for me. I don't even know the name of that game, but did anyone else here play it? I played so many Japanese SNES roms that I wish I knew the name of.

That said, I feel like I would have been okay with an approach more similar to X-Com. The developers say it didn't feel right to have someone like Spider-Man or Iron Man miss a punch or a kick, because of a percentage meter - they said it didn't make you feel like a superhero - but I don't think I would have minded personally. I like that in X-Com, you can really move around the level and use placement as a strategy. You use placement in this game as well, but it's not the same from an immersive standpoint.

Last edited:
Ah, ok too bad. I thought i can get an advantage but friendship bonuses sounds nice also.
Another thing is doing the hero requests. You can get passive skill increases for Hunter and choose which you want (never take an ability card if there’s a skill increase), by the end of the game I had stacked enough resilience that almost half the attacks against Hunter would just fizzle out.

Basically the min/maxing is done outside of leveling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom