• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Devil Summoner 2 NA Thread of Raiho keeping the PS2 alive!

Volcynika

357k6ly.jpg

-Basic Info-

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon is the 'sequel' to the first Devil Summoner title. It's a bit of a departure from most of the games put under the SMT header here in North America, as battles are much more action based instead of using the other games' Press Turn system. (This is referencing the North America releases, I know there are more titles in the whole vein of this.)

-Features- (via Play-Asia)

* Massively upgraded battle system — Advancements to the battle system include a MAG balancing system, dodge and hide abilities, and the ability to command two demons in combat. Use the retooled Weapon Alchemy system to create new swords with unique special attacks. 80 hours of classic dungeon crawling.

* Deeper demon integration — Demon negotiation returns with more than twice the number of demons to attempt to recruit to your side. Create more powerful demons through fusion and skill transfer. Control two demons in battle and choose from more tactical options.

* Phenomenal creative team — The rich environment of this Taisho-era Japan comes to life with the character designs of Kazuma Kaneko and the musical score of Shoji Meguro.

Genre Role-Playing / Action-y fun!

Rating M for Mature

Release Dates
JP October 23, 2008
NA May 12, 2009
EU ??????

Box Art
11uxmpv.jpg

-Images-
33bi8ee.jpg

2pu00md.jpg

23w5ndc.jpg

2ppko50.jpg

-Videos-
Official Trailer

-Reviews-

]Destructoid's review: 9/10
RPGFan -- 8.8/10

Sequels typically either make only slight improvements or worsen the series, but Atlus went the extra mile to make a major overhaul, and ultimately succeeded on improving the series. It may lack technical advancements and overall challenge, but it does deliver on having a good story and just being plain fun. Those who never played the first game can easily enjoy this installment, and those who played Soulless Army should play this and see just how superior King Abaddon is.

X-Play -- 4/5

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon may not fit on a t-shirt, but the game packs in more content than most next-gen RPG’s. While it may not convert any of the role-playing non-believers any time soon, this demon collecting game is everything a good sequel should be with more content, improved combat, and everything players loved about the first one. Maybe next time we’ll get a version that will fill out my HD television.

Thunderbolt's review -- 8/10

Atlus seem to be masters of creating brilliant sequels without changing more than a few textures and a new script. Persona 4 was an example of this, and Devil Summoner 2 seems to continue that tradition. The changes that did make it into the game are universally excellent, improving the playability and tightening the controls. There are a few other perks: Raidou moves faster, the game is longer, and there are more sidequests. Raidou vs. King Abbadon feels like the product of a company that listens to its customers - as if Atlus had been there when every person had said “Man, this game is great, but…” and taken careful notes. In typical Atlus fashion, the game comes at a reduced price point with a collectible goody - in this case, a plush Jack Frost mascot wearing Raidou’s iconic outfit. If a better game, a low price, and an adorable doll aren’t enough to sway you, it might be time to find a therapist.

-GAF Initial Impressions / J-GAF Impressions-
Bebpo's review
J-GAF Thread

-Frequently Asked Questions-

Why is this on the PS2? That's an old console!
Don't fret, it can still entertain you! It's also coming out at the price point of $39.99 (in the US of course), so you can take a break from those $60 games for something a little cheaper, but still fun. Or you can think of Atlus in an eternal battle with other publishers like NISA to see who will release the last great PS2 title.

Hey Volc, should I look high and low to find the first title so I can understand the story? I don't want to be left confused when I start the game!
No need! All the story you need to know is told to you right in the intro of the game.

Should I make sure I snag this title on release?
Yes, you should! Atlus Spoils their fans, and this release is no different

Can you tell me more?
Sure! Each and every launch copy of the game will include everyone's favorite super happy character, Jack Frost, only this time he is in the image of Raidou, better known as...Raiho! But these are very limited, so when they're gone, they're gone!

2hz5uvn.jpg

So what should I do until it releases next week?
Just gaze at the dancing Raihos!

23its3r.gif

(I'm not too up to date on all the Devil Summoner history, so forgive me!)

A bare bones OP but appreciate nonetheless. I am SO looking forward to this game, especially after the glowing impressions Japan Gaf gave the game.

Volcynika

TheChillyAcademic said:
A bare bones OP but appreciate nonetheless. I am SO looking forward to this game, especially after the glowing impressions Japan Gaf gave the game.

It's all about the basics and a little fluff! :D

aidan said:
I should buy this. How long is it?

I got a good 25-35 hours out of the original game and didn't even finish all of the side quests. I wish they would have added VA, but I guess that's part of the charm of the game eh?

Aeana

-PXG- said:
No DJ guide for DS2? :(
No print guide. Their reasoning is because the game is supposedly such a limited release. They're doing an online-only guide via Hardcoregamer.com, apparently, though.

Aeana said:
No print guide. Their reasoning is because the game is supposedly such a limited release. They're doing an online-only guide via Hardcoregamer.com, apparently, though.

Didn't work for FFIX, won't work now lol

Althane

I might preorder it, since I'm looking to build a small library on the PS2 right now, and I've always heard SMT games have great stories and fun times.

But can anyone explain the gameplay/give another example of a game like it? I know it's ARPG, but besides that, I don't see any gameplay trailers or anything that're very helpful...

Althane said:
I might preorder it, since I'm looking to build a small library on the PS2 right now, and I've always heard SMT games have great stories and fun times.

But can anyone explain the gameplay/give another example of a game like it? I know it's ARPG, but besides that, I don't see any gameplay trailers or anything that're very helpful...

Unlike previous Megami Tensei titles which used turn-based battle systems, the battle system in this game is action-based. The main character can attack with either his close range sword or his long range gun (provided he has enough bullets). He can also summon one of the demons from his collection to assist him in battle.

There are also demon negotiations and weapon upgrades etc.

Tiktaalik

It's pretty fucked up that I have the first one still in its original wrapping, but I'm considering picking this up.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Tiktaalik said:
It's pretty fucked up that I have the first one still in its original wrapping, but I'm considering picking this up.
You should put a few hours into it, seeing as you can load a DS1 save when starting DS2.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i will never sell my ps2 ! long live teh king

persona 5 on ps2 too please atlus !

Did they fix the "random battles EVERYWHERE" part of the first game? I hated that. Also I had to look up a FAQ just to figure out where to buy items and heal my demons.

Aeana

rainking187 said:
Did they fix the "random battles EVERYWHERE" part of the first game? I hated that. Also I had to look up a FAQ just to figure out where to buy items and heal my demons.
"Fix"? In most Megami Tensei games, you get into fights everywhere, including town.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Whoa! I didn't know that this was getting a US release.

In Bebpo I trust.

...Let's hope that the local retailers are still Ok with stocking on PS2 games, locating copies of P3:FES & P4 was hard as fuck.

Aeana said:
"Fix"? In most Megami Tensei games, you get into fights everywhere, including town.

I guess the only other SMT game I've played with random battles was Nocturne, and that had areas with no random battles, but I couldn't find anything like that while I was playing the first game. It also seemed like the encounter rate was annoyingly high. Plus there didn't seem to be anyway to heal without spending money.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Himuro said:
Ugh.

No more Persona please.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 it is then.

on topic : i cannot wait to play this game, the first one had it's share of flaws, but it was still a decent game, the text-only approach was sort of a downer for me, kidna sad to see it's still mostly the same here ..

Red Scarlet

TheChillyAcademic said:

Official game thread OP's are probably the least read out of any. I wanted this, but I would've preferred to play 1 first and wanted the plush more than the game, so I passed. :(

Yaweee

Thunderbolt's review

Atlus seem to be masters of creating brilliant sequels without changing more than a few textures and a new script. Persona 4 was an example of this, and Devil Summoner 2 seems to continue that tradition. The changes that did make it into the game are universally excellent, improving the playability and tightening the controls. There are a few other perks: Raidou moves faster, the game is longer, and there are more sidequests. Raidou vs. King Abbadon feels like the product of a company that listens to its customers - as if Atlus had been there when every person had said “Man, this game is great, but…” and taken careful notes. In typical Atlus fashion, the game comes at a reduced price point with a collectible goody - in this case, a plush Jack Frost mascot wearing Raidou’s iconic outfit. If a better game, a low price, and an adorable doll aren’t enough to sway you, it might be time to find a therapist.

Hobbun

Aeana said:

Maybe they will do print on demand for this one as well.

They already have done so with the Prinny guide and are now doing it again for their Rune Factory Frontier guide.

Tamanon

Banned
Tiktaalik said:

I had the first one wrapped still for almost a year after release:/ then I traded it in. Just couldn't bring myself to play it for some reason, don't know why. Hell, I've still got the guide to it too.

Will pick up and actually play this version though, put Raiho next to my Vivi and Punching Puppet Ghaleon.

Hobbun

chandoog said:
Shin Megami Tensei 4 it is then.

I guess I never understood this.

Aren't the Persona games Shin Megami Tensei ones as well? They do start with it in the title.

Is the thinking that Nocturne and DDS 1 & 2 are the true SMT games?

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
TheChillyAcademic said:
Didn't work for FFIX, won't work now lol

Except it's COMPLETELY different than the FFIX guide...

It's simply the entire guide in PDF format online, you can print out stuff that you need.

Reason they're doing this is because about 500 people would buy this guide if they printed it, and quite frankly they aren't a big enough company to be able to sustain that kind of loss.

Tamanon

Banned
Hobbun said:

Aren't the Persona games Shin Megami Tensei ones as well? They do start with it in the title.

It's weird. They're all SMT games, I mean, hell, even SMT: Nine is one.

Hobbun said:

Nocturne is the third SMT game. The first two were on the SNES I believe. Stuff like Persona and DDS are spin-offs.

I'm getting it next week, but I'm afraid it's half out of a sense of necessity to support the SMT franchise since I barely play PS2 games nowadays. My Vivi plush does need a new friend/challenger though, and Raiho would oblige.

Hobbun

Baloonatic said:
Nocturne is the third SMT game. The first two were on the SNES I believe. Stuff like Persona and DDS are spin-offs.

There were two SMT games for the SNES? I never heard of that. I am guessing Japan only?

Yes, although a translation of the first two is available. There was also Megami Tensei 1 and 2 before that and there have been countless other Japan only spin offs of the series. I'm pretty sure there were at least two other Devil Summoner games before the PS2 entries.

RickA238

Hobbun said:
There were two SMT games for the SNES? I never heard of that. I am guessing Japan only?

Despite the new naming convention in the US, Persona games are not in the SMT series, they are spin-offs. Shin Megami Tensei for SNES was a totally awesome FPS dungeon crawler with way more depth than the DQ's or FF's of the era. I still haven't gotten around to playing SMT2. That said, I echo the sentiment that Atlus should lay off the Persona series for a good long while; it's a case of too much, too soon. Furthermore, it's too divergent from the general atmosphere of SMT games for it's own good. IMO Nocturne still blows away P3/P4. SMT4 should be next, even if we must wait a few years for it.

I'm really looking forward to DS 2, I enjoyed the first one more than most people and I'm excited about the improvements.

Tamanon

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Yes, although a translation of the first two is available. There was also Megami Tensei 1 and 2 before that and there have been countless other Japan only spin offs of the series. I'm pretty sure there were at least two other Devil Summoner games before the PS2 entries.

There was one on the Saturn I believe, it's all a jumbled mess of many many games with the same central themes. So good.

Top Bottom