• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou tai Abaddon Ou Thread of YEAH FREE MANIAX

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Anyone get this sexy beast today?
Raidou1.png

Raidou2.png

Raidou3.png

I haven't had time to pop it in but man, am I excited to have a Japanese copy of Maniax that didn't cost me $200.

RevenantKioku said:
Anyone get this sexy beast today?

I haven't had time to pop it in but man, am I excited to have a Japanese copy of Maniax that didn't cost me $200.

With Atlus USA announcing new games like every other day, I really hope this set ends up being one of them. I still don't have a version of Nocturne, and the new Devil Summoner definitely looks like an improvement. Looking forward to impressions.

Well damn I forgot about this tricky bastard. :( I didn't like the first raidou at all. haha

I wonder if there are still copies in denden....

Nich, please, please, please get Atlus US to release this here. I own Nocturne and would gladly buy it again in a bundle with the new Devil Summoner, even at a premium.

Bebpo

Banned
Ya, I'm in too:
oct23_2008002.jpg

Gonna try to finish up Dead Space today and maybe Castlevania as well so I can have my plate cleared and give full attention to this. Atlus R&D1 games ftw.

Bebpo

Banned
bryehn said:
Now Atlus is putting free (excellent) games in their games? Wow.

Not quite.

Raidou 2 costs like $65

Raidou 2+ costs like $100 and comes with a new version of Nocturne that adds Raidou and his summons into the plot of Nocturne (probably replacing Dante because they don't have the license to use Dante anymore). $35 isn't really "free", but then again it's not just SMT3 but rather a new version of SMT3.

Personally I just got the dual package because going by Maniacs this might be worth a good penny in collector's value down the line. I don't really have the time to replay all of SMT3 for what's probably 30 mins worth of additions.

Yaweee

zoku88 said:
The cover kinda looks odd. Can't imagine the SMT3 hero not having a neutral face :lol :lol

I completely agree. The Plus edition cover just looks absolutely ridiculous. It comes off as completely uncharacteristic of Kaneko's work

----

The disc art for both games looks phenomenal. Stylin'.

----

People are posting impressions on various sites. Though no mention of other (if any) changes to Nocturne are noted, Raidou really is just a model and animation swap of Dante-- his moves, though named something different, are functionally the same. Lazy, lazy, lazy, Atlus, lazy, lazy.

As for notes on Raidou 2, L2 acts as a recall button that instantly calls back your two demons to Raidou's side. Holding it down makes them transparent and invulnerable-- this is clearly to make controlling your demons and protecting them easier, as the original required you to unsummon the demon to pull them away from the enemies, then pay to summon them out again.

X is the evade button. While holding it, you roll to the sides or do backflips to get away from the enemy. L1 blocks, and you can do certain moves only while blocking.

Demon AI has been expanded. You can assign tactics, assign specific targets, set them to repeatedly cast a single spell,

Enemies are generally faster and stronger, to compensate for the improved mechanics.

IMPORTANT: It allows you to import data from Raidou 1. You begin with a few bonus items or something if you do so, so don

----

Though P4 was announced for the US before the JP release, I'm expecting a longer delay for this. They'll probably use the same translators/editors as Raidou 1 for the sake of continuity, but I think they're busy working on P4.

Bebpo

Banned
Yaweee said:
I completely agree. The Plus edition cover just looks completely ridiculous. It comes off as completely uncharacteristic of Kaneko's work

Yeah, I think it sucks. I'm bummed I didn't get the cool normal edition artwork :\

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah the L2 button is really smart although maybe overpowered. If I had a button like this in Tales of Star Ocean it'd make the boss battles soooo much easier :p

Also the graphics are sooooo bad. Even for a PS2 game. Been a while since I played Raidou 1 but this is ouch.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Bebpo said:
Not quite.

Raidou 2 costs like $65

Raidou 2+ costs like $100 and comes with a new version of Nocturne that adds Raidou and his summons into the plot of Nocturne (probably replacing Dante because they don't have the license to use Dante anymore). $35 isn't really "free", but then again it's not just SMT3 but rather a new version of SMT3.

Personally I just got the dual package because going by Maniacs this might be worth a good penny in collector's value down the line. I don't really have the time to replay all of SMT3 for what's probably 30 mins worth of additions.
Details, details. I'll pretend it is the box art that cost me the extra $35 and Maniax was still free. Point is I got Maniax for cheap with a cooler character than Dante included. Win/win!

Shanks

Why is this so expensive even by itself? I'm pretty sure the original Raidou wasn't exactly popular to begin with. Sent to die?

noonche

My copy shipped from NCSX today. Though I've currently got Disgaea 3, Fable 2 and Castlevania to play... I better hurry up, cause once I get this those will all get sidelined.

RevenantKioku

Shanks said:
Why is this so expensive even by itself? I'm pretty sure the original Raidou wasn't exactly popular to begin with. Sent to die?
Why is what so what? It's a special edition of a game in Japan. There is nothing out of line here.
Oh. Wait. The USD being a piece of poo at the moment is probably the situation here.

Bebpo

Banned
Shanks said:

The normal price for a PS2 game over the last 8 years of PS2 lifetime has been 6800yen + tax is around 7100. Big games like rpgs are 7800 or 8200yen after tax.

7100yen has been around $60-70 depending on the exchange rate.

Aeana said:
raidousmt3.jpg

Is it bad that I'm more interested in playing this version of SMT3 before Raidou 2? :\

Probably, since it's just Maniacs with model change.

This is my 3rd time buying SMT3 and I have very, very little interest in playing it again despite it being one of the best rpgs on the PS2.

Then again you don't like a-rpgs so you probably won't like Raidou 2 :\

Shanks

Bebpo said:
The normal price for a PS2 game over the last 8 years of PS2 lifetime has been 6800yen + tax is around 7100. Big games like rpgs are 7800 or 8200yen after tax.

7100yen has been around $60-70 depending on the exchange rate.

Probably, since it's just Maniacs with model change.

This is my 3rd time buying SMT3 and I have very, very little interest in playing it again despite it being one of the best rpgs on the PS2.

Then again you don't like a-rpgs so you probably won't like Raidou 2 :\

Alright. Just seemed kinda awkward at first thought.

RevenantKioku

I got no doll. Is that a Jack Raidou? Holy shit. Awesome. :(

RevenantKioku

Yaweee said:
Well, you called him a 'Jack Raidou', so I was just bringing up that it's an actual character from the series
Well, maybe that's what he should be called!
I just don't touch the hard modes in these games, so I never saw him.

NotMSRP

Any import sellers selling this konamistyle version of DS2:KR vs KA+?

Playasia restocked Persona 4 konamistyle edition.

RevenantKioku

Konamistyle? What? this is an Atlus game? o_O

chandoog said:
and word on a US release for this game ?

Atlus isn't exactly swimming in huge ginormous hit titles to localize. I think it's generally pretty unlikely that almost any reasonably major title out of R&D1 won't come out here (although I wouldn't expect the redone Maniax to show up in the US.)

Shanks

charlequin said:
Atlus isn't exactly swimming in huge ginormous hit titles to localize. I think it's generally pretty unlikely that almost any reasonably major title out of R&D1 won't come out here (although I wouldn't expect the redone Maniax to show up in the US.)

Which fails, I want that new version. Cmon Atlus! You know you want to!

Link1110

Yaweee said:
Rai-ho was a hidden character in Raidou 1's Hard Mode.
Rai-Ho? If they have a character named that, I wonder if they'll do Rei-ho eventually. :D

And why is it that the plus version doesn't have the soundtrack. They should have made the regular version the same amount of money if they're just switching out one bonus for another.

Link1110

I haven't played any Devil Summoner game extensively since the first one, but there's plenty of references top that one already. The office is in Yarai (and right next to the entrance of the area where it is,) I'm going to a dungeon brought into the other world now, and Victor's in it, but I know he was in Soul Hackers.

Is Kyouji the 15th or 16th Kuzunoha if Raidou's the 14th?

NichM

Banned
Link1110 said:
I haven't played any Devil Summoner game extensively since the first one, but there's plenty of references top that one already. The office is in Yarai (and right next to the entrance of the area where it is,) I'm going to a dungeon brought into the other world now, and Victor's in it, but I know he was in Soul Hackers.

Is Kyouji the 15th or 16th Kuzunoha if Raidou's the 14th?

Raidou is specifically Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th, not just the 14th Kuzunoha, and it seems to be a position that's earned, not inherited through family lines. There are four Great Summoners of the Kuzunoha clan whose names are passed down: Raidou and presumably Kyouji are two of them.

Yaweee

NichM said:
Raidou is specifically Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th, not just the 14th Kuzunoha, and it seems to be a position that's earned, not inherited through family lines. There are four Great Summoners of the Kuzunoha clan whose names are passed down: Raidou and presumably Kyouji are two of them.

(spoilers from previous games and from the promotional material/magazine articles for Raidou 2)
The four families are supposedly

-Raidou, of course
-Geirin, introduced in Raidou 2
-Ryouji, from the first two DS games
-Rei Reiho's line. I guess she was a character in the other ones? Somebody said it was confirmed in some other media, but I'm not familiar with what the hell they were talking about.

----

The soundtrack is as awesome as expected. Based on Atlus' PS2 record, the odds of itnot being included with the US release are slim to none, but please please please do it. It seems like quite a few tracks are used exactly from the original, but the new ones are almost all great, especially Everyday Detective Agency, Decisive Battle, and the Final Battle. It generally sounds like the instrument samples are of a higher quality, but I could be mistaken.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Link1110 said:
Why Devil Summoner 2? You realize this is the 4th game in the Devil Summoner series, right?

I needed to put a number on it and 2 just felt right.

Bebpo

Banned
Link1110 said:
Why Devil Summoner 2? You realize this is the 4th game in the Devil Summoner series, right?

Yeah, but no one called the last one DS3.
I try to stick with Raidou 2 but I'll call it DS2 sometimes just out of habit.

I mean these DS games are nothing like the old DS games in terms of gameplay or setting. It's almost like two seperate franchises.

Yaweee

Who wanted a video of Raidou vs. Hitoshura?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0X06bzRieE

No word on any other real changes to the game. The opening movie has been switched around to remove Dante footage, and there's some stat bonuses if you import a save file from an older version, but I haven't heard of anything else.

Bebpo

Banned
I played the first few hours of this and got through the first real story dungeon.

-There is an hour of non-gameplay/tutorial at the start which was a bad, bad design decision. The game feels slow and boring off the bat.

-Once you get past that the pacing is pretty good and the story is a lot more interesting than Raidou 1. By the very first chapter you're hooked and all kinds of epic (demon gods etc) subplots have begun around you.

-The game is reaaaaaaaaaaally oldschool SMT. It's the closest game to SMT3 in post SMT3 Atlus. Much of the game revolves around even MORE in-depth demon negotiations than there was in Nocturne. Lots of varied talks, your helper demons can be a part of the conversations, it's a lot of fun and really well done.

-If you have a save of Raidou 1 far into the game Raidou 2 will be EASY for you because any demon who you had in Raidou 1 will instantly join you the second he appears in a battle. I tried to find my Raidou 1 saves but I accidently deleted all of them except one 2 hours in so I only got like 5 demons :(

-The battle system is definitely 2-3x deeper than it was in Raidou 1 like Kaneko said. The best parts are the boss battles which are INTENSE and the bosses are FAST and high-damaging and don't signal their moves out much like most a-rpgs. Playing Castlevania DS at the same time the boss fights feel pretty similar between the too. Raidou moves insanely fast, maybe even faster than Ryu in Ninja Gaiden. So the bosses are setup to give very little leeway so you really gotta learn to roll out of the way like DMC/NG.

-Art design is great, tech kinda sucks. :\

-There's a good handful of NEW Kaneko demons so far (recruitable & bosses). I can't emphasize how NICE it is to see new Kaneko demon designs after P3/P3FES/P4 where it was all just cut & paste.

-It seems like there's more stuff you can have the demons do during adventure mode. This is good.

Overall I wish I didn't have to go to sleep as I'd keep playing on and on. I haven't felt this way in a while with an rpg. Right now this has the same pull as playing an R&D1 Megaten game. Hopefully it just improves along the way.

Oh, one negative point for a lot of people is the encounter rate is INSANE. Every 5 steps. Battles are short and there's no loading but soooo many battles. Luckily you can't get into battles in town adv part. Only in dungeons so far.

Top Bottom