• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuben Langdon discusses his role in Disaster: Day of Crisis

Kard8p3

http://blog.reubenlangdon.com/2009/05/disaster-day-of-crisis-starring-reuben-langdon/

Still not sure if we will ever see this game States side. I heard that one of the major reasons for the delays was that in the original game design Monolith (game production company) was just going to use the standard controller and in the middle of production they decided to change the controls so the player would use the Wii remote. Also after we finished the mo-cap and voice over stuff, much later in the production, Nintendo bought out Monolith and Nintendo of America decided that the dialogue as is wouldn’t fly with America audiences. Bah! So almost a year later the original cast was brought in to re-record a lot of their lines. Probably the most noticeable change was changing STORM to SURGE. A lot of the other changes were pretty minor just changing sentence structure and other stupid stuff. Not quite sure why they did it, the original sounded fine to me. Monolith wasn’t happy with the rewrites either and last i heard there were actually gonna be 2 versions of the game. I think the Japanese release stuck with the original version the one we (just Cause) created together with Monolith. Not sure about the European version, whether they went with the original or the Nintendo of America rewrite version.

Anyway I do hope it does make it to the shelves whichever version they decide to go with. Like i said a lot of hard work went into making it. Just don’t want our work go to waste…dammit!

Sounds like there were some problems behind the scenes. I do hope we get this here eventually but I'm not holding my breath.

Gagaman

We must of got the re-write version, as I recall the enemies being called SURGE in the PAL one. Not sure about the Japanese one.

Either way it seems silly that a game that has very Hollywood clique in the book hasn't got a planned American release.

batbeg

I had noted how weird it was that the Japanese trailers had the subtitles for STORM when we'd already heard the name pronounced as SURGE in another Japanese trailer. I wonder which one they went with in the end.

I'd love to find out as much as possible about this game, it has an interesting development and more importantly actually turned out really good to me for all it's faults.

29pra1i.jpg

I've watched gameplay videos, there is nothing wrong with the language. NOA, stop making up excuses to fuck a whole continent.

Boerseun

Banned
Scrubking said:
So when is Iwata going to fire Reggie and hire a competent person to run NOA?

I was thinking the same thing recently. It's amazing to think how popular the guy was three to four years ago and what fans think of him now.

For me it went downhill when he stated as excuse for not bringing Disaster over that it was "not a good game" (like he would know), and secondly, when he lied about Nintendo having the North American publishing rights for Fatal Frame 4 in order to shirk off responsibility for it not getting a NA release.

More and more I'm thinking Reggie probably isn't much of a gamer himself, but rather just a corporate shill who did his job incredibly well for a while but is now being found out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
reggie is a tremendous public speaker. as far as leading NOA, I agree that during the GCN days he was probably just a shill. NCL called the shots and was doing everything in their power to recover. Once recovered my guess is Reggie was given more power, and yeah.. has really dropped the ball. He would like to say NCL is screwing things up, except NOE is getting the games we're not. So at this point it is VERY clear that NOA is at fault.

I hate for anyone to ever lose their job.. but it's clear something needs to change at NOA. either Reggie needs some guidance over getting god damn shit out over here (Fatal Frame, Disaster, more than 1 WiiWare and 1 VC title a week, etc) or someone else needs to be put in charge.

Shiggie

borghe said:
reggie is a tremendous public speaker. as far as leading NOA, I agree that during the GCN days he was probably just a shill. NCL called the shots and was doing everything in their power to recover. Once recovered my guess is Reggie was given more power, and yeah.. has really dropped the ball. He would like to say NCL is screwing things up, except NOE is getting the games we're not. So at this point it is VERY clear that NOA is at fault.

I hate for anyone to ever lose their job.. but it's clear something needs to change at NOA. either Reggie needs some guidance over getting god damn shit out over here (Fatal Frame, Disaster, more than 1 WiiWare and 1 VC title a week, etc) or someone else needs to be put in charge.
I don't think anyone at NOA has that kind of power, even the president.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Even if there are complaints against Reggie. Whats going to change? Nintendo's most successful market by far is NA.

I love Reuben also <3

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Shiggie said:
I don't think anyone at NOA has that kind of power, even the president.
as I said, IF that were true then why is NOE getting the games we're not? I really don't believe for a second that NCL would greenlight games like Disaster and Fatal Frame for Europe but not the US which is around 3-4 times larger.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Scrubking said:

We need a "this is my problem" image.

MoogPaul

As President, couldn't Reggie only be kicked out by a majority vote of the share holders? If these shareholders have had stock from the Big N for longer than 5 years, I don't see them voting against Reggie.

GDGF

Soothsayer
MoogPaul said:
As President, couldn't Reggie only be kicked out by a majority vote of the share holders? If these shareholders have had stock from the Big N for longer than 5 years, I don't see them voting against Reggie.

Is Yamauchi still the majority shareholder? That would be the pimp smack heard around the world.

MoogPaul

GDGF said:
Is Yamauchi still the majority shareholder? That would be the pimp smack heard around the world.

I don't think he was ever the majority stock holder of NOA, was he? I thought just NCL.

Emotions

Luckily we'll get S&P 2 and all the New Play series here. I pretty much doubt Trace Memory 2 or Disaster or many of the Japanese Nintendo Wii published games that were announced last year like Takt of Magic, etc,etc. Let alone their DS releases with lucky Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky and Mario and Luigi 3 making it over.
It sucks but it's true :(
On the other hand Europe has way more chances of getting them.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm not sure why there's a huge call for Disaster to be released in the US. It's a decent game but it's ruined by so many poor design issues.

AColdDay

MoogPaul said:
I don't think he was ever the majority stock holder of NOA, was he? I thought just NCL.

There is no "stock" in NOA, there is no american Nintendo stock. Nintendo has some pink sheets labeled NTDOY, but as pink sheets they are like a financial instrument and not stock as they don't give any voting power. There is only true Nintendo stock on the Japanese Nikkei, and it isn't separated by division or anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Every time Disaster comes up I feel sorry for you yanks. I bought it on a whim and while the game is obviously flawed and in need of higher production values, holy hell is it a lot of fun. It kind of reminds me of Excite-Truck in the sense that it's a game a lot of people scoff at, then play it and just cant help but love it.

If you guys can, with homebrew, import. It's worth it. Probably best do it now too, so you don't think post M+ launch "Oh this could have been better with M+".

Haunted

It's a good game. Shame if you guys wouldn't have the chance to experience it.

Import should always be an option for those truly interested, of course.

GDGF

Soothsayer
MoogPaul said:

I didn't think you could buy shares of NOA. I always thought they just sold japanese shares on the american market. I could be wrong, though.

andthebeatgoeson

Ysiadmihi said:
I'm not sure why there's a huge call for Disaster to be released in the US. It's a decent game but it's ruined by so many poor design issues.
Because Wii needs games, good and bad and mediocre and decent and excellent. Let the gamers decide. It's not as if NOA is flush with games. People have a legitimate reason to want Wii games. Most gamers this gen will be Wii-only if current trends continue. They want decent traditional games. We don't need AAA games everytime. (BTW, AAA rarely exist. Mostly AAA-hyped games).

Kard8p3

Ysiadmihi said:

It seems like it was made for the american audience and no matter how many flaws it might have it still looks like alot of fun.

Chumly

Just say this. What the FUCK NOA?!?!

Seriously NOA has gone down such a shit hole its not even funny. By far the worst locatlization record of anyone and king of bullshit decisions.

Defuser said:
Is it just me or Reuben Langdon has a hard on for Mo cap?

He is co-owner/president of Just Cause production. An agency that hires, writes, voices, mo-caps and choreographs projects in film, games, and movies. They have a branch in L.A, Tokyo, and somewhere in China.

He's also pretty much Capcom's go to guy.

PS: I met him in person, very very nice guy. He's also one of the few 'non-video game industry' talents that actually plays video games and knows a few things about the industry.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Boerseun said:
I was thinking the same thing recently. It's amazing to think how popular the guy was three to four years ago and what fans think of him now.

He was great as a marketing guy, got a lot of people really hyped even over small things. It's what happens when you put such a guy in the presidential position though, as they're from marketing they're only concerned for profit. :/ I think they should just give him his old job back.

Boerseun said:
For me it went downhill when he stated as excuse for not bringing Disaster over that it was "not a good game" (like he would know)

Well, I'm sure he would. He was the one who revealed it at E3 2006, and I'm sure he's played a fair bit of it. But it's his opinion.

Boerseun said:
and secondly, when he lied about Nintendo having the North American publishing rights for Fatal Frame 4 in order to shirk off responsibility for it not getting a NA release.

I don't remember this, he actually said that Tecmo held the rights and they didn't?

Boerseun

Banned
Andrex said:
I don't remember this, he actually said that Tecmo held the rights and they didn't?

Reggie said Nintendo did not hold the NA rights, only to be contradicted by Tecmo, who was by then clearly very bitter over the whole affair.

In other words, whether Fatal Frame 4 gets a North American release is entirely up to NOA. The same goes for other Nintendo published titles, Disaster and Another Code R.

It's a shame because NOA's attitude are spilling over to other publishers, most notably Namco Bandai. Sky Crawlers and Fragile are rumoured to be getting PAL releases through Atari later this year, with no NA releases in sight.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
U.S. continues to be one of the strongest if not the strongest territories for Wii and DS, right? Do not expect anything to change until they feel threatened sales wise.

That is what any corporation with a near de-facto monopoly (their niche is huge and not threatened in any way) would do. They want to see how much they can increase their profit margins or keep them up at least before sales are affected.

If they don't release this game stateside that's fine. But Reggie damn well better not say they care about the hard core gamer any more. It's clear that they don't.

I still remember last year at E3:

Adam Sessler: "What about the hardcore gamer for the Wii this coming year Reggie?"

Reggie: "....We got Animal Crossing!"

Sessler: ".............."

Reggie: "................."

trinest

perfectchaos007 said:
If they don't release this game stateside that's fine. But Reggie damn well better not say they care about the hard core gamer any more. It's clear that they don't.

I still remember last year at E3:

Adam Sessler: "What about the hardcore gamer for the Wii this coming year Reggie?"

Reggie: "....We got Animal Crossing!"

Sessler: ".............."

Reggie: "................."
I dare say that was a.......Disaster!

gamingeek

Sorry you USA guys have been screwed etc.

BUT everyone who has played it actually go to the link and watch the videos :D

So awesome.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Scrubking said:
Boerseun said:

For me it went downhill when he stated as excuse for not bringing Disaster over that it was "not a good game" (like he would know), and secondly, when he lied about Nintendo having the North American publishing rights for Fatal Frame 4 in order to shirk off responsibility for it not getting a NA release.

More and more I'm thinking Reggie probably isn't much of a gamer himself, but rather just a corporate shill who did his job incredibly well for a while but is now being found out.
borghe said:

MoogPaul said:

You guys are geniuses

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Boerseun said:
It's a shame because NOA's attitude are spilling over to other publishers, most notably Namco Bandai. Sky Crawlers and Fragile are rumoured to be getting PAL releases through Atari later this year, with no NA releases in sight.

hahahaha

boy did you ever out yourself as being a johnny come lately

Top Bottom