• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad day for ROMhackers, SE goes apeshit on Chrono Trigger personal projects.

From ROMhacking
On May 8, we received a wide-reaching cease and desist letter from Square Enix, Inc. As with Chrono Trigger: Resurrection and Chrono Trigger Remake Project’s letters, we have uploaded the letter for viewing here as a matter of public interest.

We have decided to comply with Square Enix’s demands. Most of the Chrono Compendium webpages and forums will be unaffected by these changes. However, our compliance has the practical effect of ending the Compendium’s support for ROM modification projects of any kind, with regard to copyrighted Square Enix works such as Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers, and Chrono Cross. We have already destroyed all known copies of Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes and other modifications and projects. We have also shut down and made inaccessible any discussion boards used for the development of ROM-hacking fan projects on this website, including:

* * Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes
* * Chrono Trigger: Prophet’s Guile
* * Retranslation of Chrono Trigger
* * Chrono Trigger Re-amped
* * Chrono Trigger Rebirth
* * Chrono Trigger Azala Style

The official Crimson Echoes website website was updated and now only shows the following:

Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes was a fan project modification of the Chrono Trigger ROM begun in late 2004. Development continue thanks to a dedicated group of fans through 2009. By May 2009, the game featured ~35 hours of game play, 10 multiple endings, and 23 chapters, much like the original Chrono Trigger; it was around 98% complete. The plot featured the original cast as they struggled against a new villain risen from the legacy of Zeal.

The team planned to release Crimson Echoes on May 31, 2009 as the first feature-length fan Chrono series game, and an unprecedentedly exhaustive work in the ROM modification community. On May 8, 2009, Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes received a cease & desist letter, along with all other game modification activity (even research) at the Chrono Compendium. In compliance with the letter, the development team ceased development on the game, and existing modifications (including Prophet’s Guile) were taken down.

We thank those fans who followed the game’s development, and also those who poured countless hours into the vision of a fun, new Chrono game, made by fans for fans without copyright claim or intent to make profit.

We understand the frustration. I sincerely hope this action is a sign that Square Enix cares about the franchise and intends to produce future titles, and not merely a shortsighted legal exercise that will further alienate a tired, neglected fan-base.

Signed ZeaLitY, Saturday May 9th, 2009

Sucks, Crimson Echoes was going to be the first full Chrono Trigger hack. For a Property so neglected, they sure are fucking protective over it.

The actual C&D letter

Firestorm

Wow. So they waited 5 years and just before the end of their FREE MARKETING PROJECT to shut them down? Way to be dicks.

Gagaman

screen15.jpg

All over again. (well, sort of)

Acosta

Soulless corporation rises the finger to its fans. News at 11.

People should stop trying to make this kind of stuff, 99% of the times they will get a cease & desist and all their work go to the trash.

Rektash

Aww come on SE. Its like fanfiction packed into a game. Since when do you care for regular written fanficition?, there is a ton of it swarming the internet and you don t give a fuck.

Blizzard

Banned
One of my friends just told me "Yeah, saw stuff about it around an hour ago. Apparantly been outed as BS so the creators can just ditch the project. And if it's not BS, a bunch of groups are ready to take what's there and finish the last two percent, along with changing things that were shown in the trailer to get the original crew off the hook."

I don't know if this is true, but hopefully we get some details...I hadn't even heard much about this project.

Threi

notag
that means they are going to resurrect the franchise and don't want people googling and finding the wrong thing.

that must be it

it must be

What I don't get is this: These groups have to know what they're doing violates copyright laws and such. Why do they announce their plans before they've actually finished and uploaded the patch? Has history taught us nothing?

SkySonata

Banned
Blizzard said:
One of my friends just told me "Yeah, saw stuff about it around an hour ago. Apparantly been outed as BS so the creators can just ditch the project. And if it's not BS, a bunch of groups are ready to take what's there and finish the last two percent, along with changing things that were shown in the trailer to get the original crew off the hook."

I don't know if this is true, but hopefully we get some details...I hadn't even heard much about this project.

Why would they bail when the projects are mostly done? Doesn't make any sense.

Guled

SkySonata said:
Why would they bail when the projects are mostly done? Doesn't make any sense.
maybe they they lied, maybe its no where near being done. Considering how it was "supposed" to come out really soon, this is really convenient

If i was part of the group that was making any of these there's no way i would agree to it after doing it so long they would had have to arrest me.

Firestorm

If it's 98% done that means all they had left was really a final edit/test and the patch. I don't see it as BS unless they've been BSing for like a year.

flintstryker said:
If i was part of the group that was making any of these there's no way i would agree to it after doing it so long they would had have to arrest me.
I'd release it pretending like I didn't get the email. Then be like "oops sorry guys we got a c&d" and take it down a day later. By then they'd be all over the place anyway so no way to stop it.

Aeana

This is the first time I can ever remember something like this happening with a ROM hack of any kind. It's within their rights to go after the people, of course, but it's weird that no company ever has (as far as I know), and SE chose these projects now.

Maztorre

Fourth Storm said:
What I don't get is this: These groups have to know what they're doing violates copyright laws and such. Why do they announce their plans before they've actually finished and uploaded the patch? Has history taught us nothing?

Why should a fan community be hiding its work from the company they are paying homage to? This is a free marketing exercise for S-E and they basically decided to shit in the mouths of some of its most obviously loyal fans. Almost every other games company has at least reached the stage where they give even some acknowledgement of their online communities, but S-E is the kind of company that will still fuck its fans around with private theatre showings of trailers and then try and remove any trace of cameraphone recordings. Thankfully the further they take this ass-backwards approach with the western market the more irrelevant they become.

I hope this "accidentally" leaks.

I would absolutely love to play a new Chrono Trigger campaign using the original Chrono Trigger engine/world/etc.

One of my top 5 games all time.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This is why when you are working with someone else's intellectual property you don't show it till it's done and released.

Deku

Banned
I sympathize with these fan projects, especially those who do the fan translation side of things.

But adding new content using the existing engine would be akin to someone coming in and adding a new epilogue to the Merchant of Venice. It's not going to work.

Firestorm

Aeana said:
This is the first time I can ever remember something like this happening with a ROM hack of any kind. It's within their rights to go after the people, of course, but it's weird that no company ever has (as far as I know), and SE chose these projects now.
I'd say it's surprising that SE went after them (especially now), but not that no companies ever do it. It's free marketing that gets fans hyped up and interested in the franchise. No investment of time or money is required on SE's part whatsoever. The only reason I can even think of is that they want the Chrono franchise hype to die completely so they never have to look at it again.

Deku

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'd say it's surprising that SE went after them (especially now), but not that no companies ever do it. It's free marketing that gets fans hyped up and interested in the franchise. No investment of time or money is required on SE's part whatsoever. The only reason I can even think of is that they want the Chrono franchise hype to die completely so they never have to look at it again.

Chrono was never a real franchise.

Trigger was a one off collaboration.
Cross was based off of the Radical Dreamers text adventure SE released along with Trigger on the SFC.

But I can see how fans can believe it to be so. Most of the Chrono team moved on to build FFXI and the next SE MMO.

ninjarr

Neo Member
Shitty, this was shaping up to be awesome and I had been looking forward to it for a while. First OOT-2D (well that was a different ending...), then CT: Resurrection, now this!

Diablos

Threi said:
that means they are going to resurrect the franchise and don't want people googling and finding the wrong thing.

that must be it

it must be
Let us hope so. Otherwise this was basically a waste of time for S-E.

Odrion

Banned
sprsk said:
This is why when you are working with someone else's intellectual property you don't show it till it's done and released.
exactly, why do these guys never see it coming

This is so bullshit, just let the small-time, non-profit rom-hackers have their fun. Of course of all companies to do this, it's Squeenix, no surprise there.

Fourth Storm said:
that's the thing i never understand. announce it when it's done, release it within 24 hours, then it will live forever.

The reason no one's sticking to the "don't announce 'til you're done!" standard here is that no one's ever C&Ded a ROM hack project before. If you don't follow ROM hacking specifically, don't comment like you know something about the topic. :lol

The difficulty here is that, essentially, you're looking at the equivalent of fan-fiction: unauthorized derivative works that do not meaningfully compete with the original project and which are produced solely as labors of love by legitimate, income-generating fans.

The legality issue is also pretty gray. Many aspects of ROM hacking are de facto legal, even if the actual distribution of what could be called a "derivative work" is less certain, and it's pretty strongly not in game publishers' interests to see something like this actually go to court and risk a ruling that doesn't come down in the publisher's favor.

With luck, this is some kind of random mistake or dumb move by some guy who was bored at SE Legal, rather than some kind of new, mutually-non-beneficial policy of zero tolerance.

sprsk said:
You wouldn't attract developers and artists unless you showed what you have so far.

I don't get it, were these people;

A) Editing official Square Enix source code to make a new game

or

B) Planning to engage in distribution for profit of said product

?

I mean, if this was a stand-alone product, not intended for retail distribution, why on earth was it stopped?

sprocket

Banned
vandalvideo said:
I don't get it, were these people;

A) Editing official Square Enix source code to make a new game

or

B) Planning to engage in distribution for profit of said product

?

I mean, if this was a stand-alone product, not intended for retail distribution, why on earth was it stopped?

lol they were illegally using the story, characters,code,and assets. Nothing else matters.

sprocket said:
lol they were illegally using the story, characters,code,and assets. Nothing else matters.

I can understand if they were using original Square source code and intended to release that, but companies cannot stop independent parties from taking copyrighted material and making products based aroudn that material (Story, characters, places, and themes), as long as it isn't intended for profit. I'm guessing, and this is what I wanted clarification on, was that they were using Square source code.

Top Bottom