• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'd Never Think I'd Be Saying This, But Nyko's Wand Kicks The Wii Remote's Ass!

HUELEN10

UPDATE!!! A succesor has been announced, the Wand+!
2h6bqfp.jpg

40 USD, built-in MotionPlus, less fugly color scheme.

Original OP below.

IMG_0061.jpg

I saw it, and thought I would take the plunge as it seems that no one on here has one. HOLY SHIT. First of all, my first fear was immediately gone, the D-Pad works beautifully, and even does diagonals BETTER than the Wii Remote! I tried Sonic 3D Blast, Super Star Soldier, & Kirby's Adventure to confirm this. The speaker, from what I tested in Mario Kart Wii, is softer, yet more clean-sounding than the Wii Remote and is a marked improvement IMO. The Rubberized B-Trigger feels nice, and the larger buttons are very responsive and feel great for NES style games.
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Best part of all, you can use your regular battery cover and Wii Remote jacket! It fits PERFECTLY. Not only that, but it works perfectly in a Wii Wheel!
IMG_0059.jpg

I played Wario Ware: Smooth moves for the past 30 minutes, and IR functionally and accelerometer functionality are identical to the Wii Remote. If there is a difference, I cannot tell, and that is GOOD. For further testing of the accelerometer, I played Excitebots and Mario Kart Wii, and I got the same great results.

If the promise of Trans-Port delivers, and if it works with the MotionPlus (At the very least, it will fit into the extended jacket), then this is a no brainer. It is better, and it costs less. You know how much of a basher I am of 3rd party products, so when I say it's good, it means something. For those that want the short version...
IMG_0066.jpg

This is no cheap product, and it gets my highest recommendation.

UPDATE

I toyed around with the Wand for like another hour or so, and have run into some concerns. First is the speaker. now as I said before, it works great, but it is different than the Wii Remotes speaker. This means that if you are playing a multiplayer game that uses speakers, say Mario Kart Wii, this may prove slightly distracting. One thing I forgot to mention before was what else it comes with. Besides batteries, it comes with a rather stiff blue jacket and a rev-2 like Wii strap. The jacket sucks ass, and won't even fit on the remote with the battery cover it comes with, so that is fucking fail. As for the strap, it may look spiffy, but I wouldn't trust a piece of shit hanging from it with it. As for the battery cover, it sucks ass. I played jacket-less with it on and it is hard and fucking uncomfortable. I cannot believe that people actually buy Nyko's chargers when the battery covers that they have are the same as these, these suck. Thanks to this, I have just ordered a new strap as well as a new battery cover from Ninty's online store.

All that being said, I still recommend it. I have done more pointer tests with SMG, and accelerometer tests with Sonic & The Secret Rings, and I have yet to notice anything other than identical response. I will test it with more games, but as of now, if the functionality is not identical, then it is DAMN close. Also, quick thing to note is that it weighs only SLIGHTLY less, but not enough to feel cheap.

HUELEN10

sprocket said:
I played with it .. and I dont agree.
Can you at least elaborate? I didn't want to admit that it was better myself, but it was to me. What games did you toy around with?

Flyguy

Your wrist looks weird. It looks like your hand is growing right out of your forearm. You should have that looked at.

sprocket

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Can you at least elaborate? I didn't want to admit that it was better myself, but it was to me. What games did you toy around with?

the d-pad and buttons do not feel as good. feels cheap to me. But thats just my opinion :D

Squeak

Stop bending your thumb back so much! It's creepy!
Also, what that other guy said about your hand is right. Your palm and arm look as though they are one.
Freak! :D

jts

...hate me...
OT, but I've noticed that I can't see directly images hosted on photobucket for some reason.

Can't see shit on the OP!

Anybody knows why?

Scrubking

If it were significantly cheaper, say $20, then it would have my interest, but I'm not buying an ugly 3rd party controller to save $5.

HUELEN10

Scrubking said:
If it were significantly cheaper, say $20, then it would have my interest, but I'm not buying an ugly 3rd party controller to save $5.
That's the thing, you aren't buying it to save 5 bucks. I could have easily paid 5 more to get a Wii Remote. You buy this to get a better controller, and it just so happens to cost less.

That's how I see it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Scrubking said:
Ditto.

Though honestly Nyko has been pretty badass as it comes to Wii accessories so far. EASILY the best third party at it.

Vexidus

jts said:
OT, but I've noticed that I can't see directly images hosted on photobucket for some reason.

Can't see shit on the OP!

Anybody knows why?

You might have adblocked all images from photobucket instead of a specific image on photobucket one time.

decon

Could we get over his thumbs and talk about the controller? Pm me if you want pictures of creepy thumbs.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Red Scarlet said:
Your thumb is freaking me out.

It's like a gnome sock or something.

And, I dunno, the square buttons and the D-pad irk me too much. But I do need a new Wiimote so might as well try this one.

jts

...hate me...
Vexidus said:
You might have adblocked all images from photobucket instead of a specific image on photobucket one time.
That was it! Thank you very much dude! You're a gentleman and a scholar :D

The downside is that I can now see HUELEN's thumb :lol

HUELEN10

EmCeeGramr said:
What the fuck is wrong with your hands, spider-creature. You're like a squid decided to grow nails on its tentacles.
Can you play an accordion? I thought not. Fuck you. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
HUELEN10 said:
Can you play an accordion? I thought not. Fuck you. :D

Now, are your weird hands the cause of your accordian talent, or did playing the accordian make you into some sort of octopus-handed mutant?

Top Bottom