• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software Reveals "The Grinder" online co-op FPS vampire killing game

Fantastical

Death Prophet
laserbeam said:
Hmm ign's twitter seems to indicate we may be getting a trailer for Grinder tonight
"It's Matty, (@mattign). Boz and I are here late. Boy and His Blob blowout coming soon. Izzza nice. And yeah, first Grinder trailer later."

w000000t

Well, it was a cool trailer. I want to see gameplay videos from the showfloor though, as there's really no way to judge an online co-op game like this without actually watching someone play it.

markatisu

EmCeeGramr said:
Well, it was a cool trailer. I want to see gameplay videos from the showfloor though, as there's really no way to judge an online co-op game like this without actually watching someone play it.

You want to see gameplay videos from a game that is coming in like 18 months, dont expect to be wow'd too much :lol

Whatever we see will be like a reskinned and slightly altered The Conduit imo

cooljeanius said:
It looks like they're reusing stuff from The Conduit in it. Some of the guns look very similar.
The MP5 looks almost the same, just with a silencer attached.

And I noticed that the HUD is almost a direct lift from L4D. I guess they're not hiding their influences here. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
God, whoever was putting on that accent was doing a horrible job. The framerate also dipped noticeably in some scenes where there was nowhere near 65 enemies on the screen. The trailer also seemed incredably pretentious.

HVS, don't get cocky. You don't need to throw your name around. If the games are good your name earn merit on its own.

EatChildren said:
God, whoever was putting on that accent was doing a horrible job. The framerate also dipped noticeably in some scenes where there was nowhere near 65 enemies on the screen. The trailer also seemed incredably pretentious.

HVS, don't get cocky. You don't need to throw your name around. If the games are good your name earn merit on its own.

It's over a year away dude :lol

laserbeam

Banned
game is out Winter 2010 and the 65+ enemies is on their in progress stuff. So many months to go. Game looks much better than Gladiator so far

bdouble

Definitely their most impressive showing. Still have no reason why they are showing it now...Oh well they are the developer.

Penguin

This looks a lot better than their other two game.

Though, they should layoff the voice-overs for a bit.
Game is a year and a half off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
comedy bomb said:
It's over a year away dude :lol

Yeah, I know that, but HVS still throw their name around as if it holds substantial weight, and they said in the interview that they had The Grinder running at 65+ enemies with a framerate on par with The Conduit.

I know it has a long, long period of development left, but I've been relatively lax on HVS due to their very positive and gamer friendly attitude towards Wii development. I don't want them getting cocky about their products before the first major one hasn't even hit shelves.

I'm just cautious is all.

markatisu

EatChildren said:
Yeah, I know that, but HVS still throw their name around as if it holds substantial weight, and they said in the interview that they had The Grinder running at 65+ enemies with a framerate on par with The Conduit.

I know it has a long, long period of development left, but I've been relatively lax on HVS due to their very positive and gamer friendly attitude towards Wii development. I don't want them getting cocky about their products before the first major one hasn't even hit shelves.

I'm just cautious is all.

Don't forget they are trying to find a publisher, if you are going to go balls to the walls with cockiness that is the time to do so.

EatChildren said:
. I don't want them getting cocky about their products before the first major one hasn't even hit shelves.

Well, there is little to be cocky about. They can take pride in the fact they are filling a void in the Wii library, but let's face it; The Conduit will end up somewhere in the 70-80% range for reviews and will sell less than 150,000 units. Certainly nothing to frown at, but not anything to thump their chests over either.

markatisu

comedy bomb said:
Well, there is little to be cocky about. They can take pride in the fact they are filling a void in the Wii library, but let's face it; The Conduit will end up somewhere in the 70-80% range for reviews and will sell less than 150,000 units. Certainly nothing to frown at, but not anything to thump their chests over either.

I am not going to predict millions but you are lowballing the hell out of the game for sales, No More Heroes a super niche Suda game sold almost 150k in two months with no advertising and not being stocked.

The Conduit is a T rated FPS, the genre and demographic in itself has a much wider fanbase and the Wii is starved in that area.

EatChildren

markatisu said:
Don't forget they are trying to find a publisher, if you are going to go balls to the walls with cockiness that is the time to do so.

Quite true, but if The Conduit profits well I seriously doubt they'll have any trouble at all picking up a publisher for The Grinder, and with Gladiator A.D getting an earlier release it's probably lower on the list of games that need a publisher ASAP.

donny2112

bdouble said:
Still have no reason why they are showing it now...

With The Conduit coming out soon and E3 next week, it's much easier to grab the attention of the gaming press right now than it will be probably any other time.

ChunderMan

Living in a one-dimensional world...
EatChildren said:
God, whoever was putting on that accent was doing a horrible job.

I'm pretty sure that was Mark Sheppard doing the trailer... who's a British actor. So I'm pretty sure he knows what his own accent sounds like. :)

bdouble

donny2112 said:
With The Conduit coming out soon and E3 next week, it's much easier to grab the attention of the gaming press right now than it will be probably any other time.
There are ways to show the press your game right now and not have to put a video up IGN for everyone to see. This game may have dodged the bullet but Gladiator is fighting an uphill battle and The Conduit has been since it was shown (although this was an entirely different situation).
The interview and screen shots were fine. No need to show it in motion.

markatisu

bdouble said:
There are ways to show the press your game right now and not have to put a video up IGN for everyone to see. This game may have dodged the bullet but Gladiator is fighting an uphill battle and The Conduit has been since it was shown (although this was an entirely different situation).

The interview and screen shots were fine. No need to show it in motion.

I would imagine thats just the way they are going to be doing things, I do not see that changing especially if they are looking to license out their engine if their game sales fail or they are in need of another revenue stream.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
looks pretty solid, though some things seem copy pasted from the conduit. will wait until they have stuff more together to make any judgments about graphics, and eagerly awaiting hands on impressions from E3

sprocket said:
vampires coming at you in droves.... fuck the others ! :lol
laserbeam said:
haha no shit. real life id ditch even my best friends and be like have fun as vampire food bitches

Sorry guys, but there needs to be a way to see your teammates health on screen. It's essential in L4D, and it'll be essential here. Though from the media we've got, it looks like the game can be played single-player without bots or teammates, so hopefully when we see multiplayer that's in there.

laserbeam

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Sorry guys, but there needs to be a way to see your teammates health on screen. It's essential in L4D, and it'll be essential here. Though from the media we've got, it looks like the game can be played single-player without bots or teammates, so hopefully when we see multiplayer that's in there.

well yeah I dont think what we are seeing is the co op mode. In fact the trailer doesnt. So im sure they have some sort of UI for 4 player.

They have confirmed the whole game can be played solo

Milabrega

Was that Romo Lampkin who did the voice in that trailer?

With this game being a year plus away I'm pretty hopeful for this title. Right now it needs some polish though :lol . Looks conceptually and graphically better than Conduit and Gladiator for sure.

kizmah

I am very much intrigued after that trailer. It's over a year away and already looking very promising. Somehow this makes me even more tempeted to buy The Conduit just to see if HVS has what it takes.

trinest

JDSN said:
Looks pretty damn good, im sure they'll find a publisher in no time....unless The Conduit flops.
I'm more interested in this new game then the Conduit- might pick the Conduit when its really cheap if I end up getting it.

Top Bottom