• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High Voltage Software Reveals "The Grinder" online co-op FPS vampire killing game

Neo C.

CTLance said:
...and leave them independent, please. I have little interest in them being bought by Nintendo. Aside from the funding aspect, I mean. I'd prefer them to stay a true 3rd party and lead by example. Show the others how it's done. Incite some competition again. Hopefully rake in some mad cash.
I fully agree, we need more 3rd parties, not less. Still, I would love to see some cooperation between Nintendo and High Voltage. It would be a win-win situation for all.

bryehn

You people putting any sort of faith in High Voltage is hilarious!

I will be shocked if any of these 3 games releases to anything but middling to negative reviews and extremely quick price drops.

bryehn said:

I will be shocked if any of these 3 games releases to anything but middling to negative reviews and extremely quick price drops.

Ah, so you expect negative reviews based on the thousands of positive previews from journalists and regular gamers?
That is very interesting.

obaidr

Banned
bryehn said:

you are right for the gaming market in general but wrong for the Wii market. The audience does not care for graphics and compared to what they get or got this year this game is almost AAA.

VAIL

bryehn said:

There is clearly some sarcasm in the replies, and The Conduit already has one good review score, and seems to be doing pretty well in pre-order status.

So, there is being overly positive and overly negative...guess we know what side you are on.

Vinci

Danish
jrricky said:
Wrong. Continue to do everything you can with Gladiator, and whatever else awesome ideas you guys have.

I meant artistically. That was my primary issue with Gladiator; this doesn't share that issue. I'm also not a fan of how the Conduit looks, despite it appearing to be a fun game. Get it through your head: I want them to succeed, but some of their artistic choices aren't helping them despite the tech they're running.

later

Apharmd Battler said:
Do want!! With High Voltage's track record, this is a day one purchase for me!!

What track record is that? They haven't yet released anything worth playing. At least wait until after the conduit is released.

In a time where there are FPS games flying out of Cliffy B's spinctor, its going to take a lot more than middling graphics and zombies/werewolves to get me hyped.

Banned
VAIL said:
There is clearly some sarcasm in the replies, and The Conduit already has one good review score, and seems to be doing pretty well in pre-order status.

So, there is being overly positive and overly negative...guess we know what side you are on.
Link? Source?

That aside, let me get this straight. Gladiator, a Fight Night with rpg elements brawler, something relatively original is thrown under the bus, but this game, that shamelessly copies L4D in every single way is praised?

Zachack

later said:
What track record is that? They haven't yet released anything worth playing. At least wait until after the conduit is released.
Quiet hater you are talking about High Voltage Software, Dev of the Year 2009/10/11(?)!

vandalvideo said:
In a time where there are FPS games flying out of Cliffy B's spinctor, its going to take a lot more than middling graphics and zombies/werewolves to get me hyped.

OF all all fps you talk about Epic games? They lost all charm after the original unreal....

linkboy

obaidr said:
you are right for the gaming market in general but wrong for the Wii market. The audience does not care for graphics and compared to what they get or got this year this game is almost AAA.

Or just maybe, there's a market for games like this that nobody knows about, because wait for it,

Nobody's targeted a game towards it.

FPS games on the Wii tend to be 1/2 assed, thrown together ports by a development team that was just hired off the streets.

The Conduit is the first FPS on the Wii that actually has an effort behind it.

Insaniac

Bozon-IGN said:
In NO WAY would this factor into any of my own reviews, but I have to give the company serious, serious credit. They are going all out when nobody (Nintendo included) will push the Wii hardcore angle right now.

They've got my money. It takes serious balls to work mainly as a dev for hire, pile cash, and then bet this big, so I wish those guys all the luck in the world.

Also, I must play Grinder. Damn that looks cool. :)

<------- This Guy: A fan of Darkwatch.

I expect a ton of hands on at E3 bozon. I DEMAND.

Link? Source?

That aside, let me get this straight. Gladiator, a Fight Night with rpg elements brawler, something relatively original is thrown under the bus, but this game, that shamelessly copies L4D in every single way is praised?

I don't know, selective reading of that Gladiator thread? I haven't read through this thread, but I don't think people were knocking the Gladiator game for what was written about it. At least I was fairly interested in what they were going for. What I, and I assume others, were judging was what we can judge at the time: the horrendous graphics. This Grinder game isn't nearly as ugly as that game was. So, maybe people are just judging the graphics.

Grinder reminds of that old Darkwatch game just from the sceens and style. It's at least somewhat consistent and seems like they had an idea for how it would look.

vandalvideo said:
Cliffy B's Spinctor = Unreal 3 engine. Sorry I didn't spell that out.

Only a handful games based on unreal 3.0 are void of the plastic look that engines turns everything into.....so yeah still wrong.....

Bluemercury said:
Only a handful games based on unreal 3.0 are void of the plastic look that engines turns everything into.....so yeah still wrong.....
That is kind of the point behind the post. Alot of the games that are coming out of the Unreal 3 engine are miles beyond what we're seeing from High Voltage; and yes, I know, Wii hardware and all. In the age of the mass produced FPS game where everything and their momma looks better than this game, it is going to take more than zombies and werewolves to get me hyped.

Boerseun

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Wow. Seriously. Wow.

A couple of things:

1. HVS is very quickly becoming one of my favorite developers, and so far I only have one of their games (Hot Rod Show).

2. HVS is not only pushing graphics on the Wii (which by itself is appreciated) they're also pushing the online capabilities of the console, which again is more than I can say of most Wii devs.

3. Seeing this game instantly makes the gladiator game more interesting by proxy. Can't wait to see both in motion.

4. Matt (and I assume Bozon) bring yet another Wii exclusive. Wonder how people will twist this one. Say what you will, but they constantly get exclusives because they actually give a shit about what they're covering.

Nice observations! Agree 100%!

Davey Cakes

joetachi said:
Whats the definition of ''hardcore'' again enlighten me.
There is no definition for it anymore. It's a retarded word to use in describing games.

Even the word "casual" is hard to define now. Before, "casual" was things like GTA. Now, it's things like Wii Sports. Can it be both at the same time?

I just don't find a point in lumping games together by these categories. Games are games. Some are just more accessible than others. That's it.

joetachi said:
Whats the definition of ''hardcore'' again enlighten me.

Now it seems like "hardcore" meants traditional and "casual" means new and different. In the past "hardcore" meant something like The Witcher, which the average player wouldn't know about, and "casual" being the popular mainstream title like Grand Theft Auto or Madden.

Teknoman

Rash said:
There is no definition for it anymore. It's a retarded word to use in describing games.

Even the word "casual" is hard to define now. Before, "casual" was things like GTA. Now, it's things like Wii Sports. Can it be both at the same time?

I just don't find a point in lumping games together by these categories. Games are games. Some are just more accessible than others. That's it.

Thank you.

Davey Cakes

And even games like The Conduit and Metroid Prime 3 have broken the traditional mold of the inaccessibility in first-person games by introducing a user-friendly control scheme.

joetachi

Linkzg said:
Now it seems like "hardcore" meants traditional and "casual" means new and different. In the past "hardcore" meant something like The Witcher, which the average player wouldn't know about, and "casual" being the popular mainstream title like Grand Theft Auto or Madden.
Well that's why i don't listen to the people that use ''Hardcore'' because they change what it means all the time.

Vagabundo

The trolls are out in strength again. Sure, what the hell, only a Wii thread eh?

double standards for the win

Anyway. Looks very good, nice attention to detail. I think I like this more than Gladiators, the art style is better.

Good Job lads. You may be getting hundreds of my euro's over the next couple of years.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I am the only one who also likes a lot Gladiator AD and the ideas they are implemating?
Because in my opinion both of these games they are showing look very good.
You arent alone. I like the way gladiator looks and sounds as well...just as much as this game to be honest.

Booser

We were inspired by movies like From Dusk Till Dawn and John Carpenter's Vampires.

Oh hell yeah! These guys have taste! Finally a HVS game I can get behind. Looks and sounds great.

Just hope there is more then just werewolves and vampires though.

Vinci

Danish
joetachi said:
The post have been moved again FPS aren't hardcore people.:lol

Tribes is the only FPS I would consider 'hardcore,' given I actually gave a shit about such a stupid term and didn't feel the ultra-reliance on it this gen has made some users on message boards completely worthless.

Vinci

Danish
Sadist said:
People getting to excited and some people just plain hatin'.

Oh, well yeah.

It looks better then Gladiator A.D. for sure.

^5.

But again, a video might change my perspective on Gladiator A.D. - but it would have to be one helluva trailer.

bdouble

Vinci said:
Um ... to what are you referring?
the fact that the first 2 pages were all not really positive but at least a bit optimistic and now we have " its from HVS, they don't know what they are doing, they can't possibly make a good game and why the hell are you drinking the kool aid"

Haunted

Looks pretty good. I'm more interested in the Gladiator game personally.

Here's hoping The Conduit delivers so I can get legitimately hyped about the work these guys are doing.

nincompoop said:
100? Try 65535.
genki07.jpg

Name is Ikusa Gami, or Demon Chaos in EU BTW
I love shit like this. :D Really wish I could've played this.

my excitement for this will be tempered by how good The Conduit turns out... so i'm optimistic right now. screens look good and i love the cornball concept.

Vinci

Danish
bdouble said:
the fact that the first 2 pages were all not really positive but at least a bit optimistic and now we have " its from HVS, they don't know what they are doing, they can't possibly make a good game and why the hell are you drinking the kool aid"

Meanwhile, we have others talking about them as if they're Bungie. They're not. They're an ambitious developer that is at least trying to improve their status in the industry via a lot of hard fucking work. Anyone dismissing them out of hand is wrong, as their effort alone should be applauded. That said, this ambition should in no way impact the sales of their games. They still have to make good titles. Period.

The only problem I have with HVS, outside of Grinder which looks good, is that their art design is lifeless and doesn't live up to the ambitions they've set for themselves.

That worries me.

Top Bottom