• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Castlevania?): Lord of Shadows - Thread of KojiPro and HNGHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocking revelations!
Or is it!?

Formats: PS3, X360
Out: 2010
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Mercurysteam
Kojima Productions
332co3t.jpg

2ezr638.jpg

bf55ip.jpg

Artwork taken off Gamepress.

edit: The fuck, the artwork is old..
E3 is too exciting :(

Cheebs said:
if its 3d then kill it with fire

I'd only accept 3D, there's always been infinite potential for 3D 'Vania, especially now that a competent developer with ideas is working on it.

revolverjgw said:
I'd only accept 3D, there's always been infinite potential for 3D 'Vania, especially now that a competent developer with ideas is working on it.

How many times can you fail, really? 3D action adventure has already been done and done well with God of War and Devil May Cry. Castlevania should stick to where it excels the most, and that's 2D.

batbeg

Wow, looking at mercurysteam's previous efforts I can see why Konami would bring the franchise to this expert European developer. They should have just the kind of ideas to reinvigorate the franchise and bring it back to its former glory, do doubt earned from their experiences on Scrapland. I'm sure the level design they brought to Jericho will once more be replicated here in this series famous for its level designs, too!

...Seriously, though, I don't tend to be too pessimistic about western developers working on Japanese franchises, but it's so fucking confusing that they think it ever really helps anything.

ZeoVGM

Banned
_leech_ said:
How many times can you fail, really? 3D action adventure has already been done and done well with God of War and Devil May Cry. Castlevania should stick to where it excels the most, and that's 2D.

Uh, in absolutely no way is that reasoning behind not being able to do a 3D CV.

_leech_ said:

Like I said, now they have a creative, high quality developer working on it. IGA's team are one trick ponies whose only success comes when they recycle the same thing over and over and have proven totally incompetent when doing anything else, CV or otherwise.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
revolverjgw said:
Like I said, now they have a creative, high quality developer working on it. IGA's team are one trick ponies whose only success comes when they recycle the same thing over and over and have proven totally incompetent when doing anything else.
Not like Konami ever gave them a proper budget, they can't afford to waste time making new sprites and shit.

IGA also has sweet ideas that his team reject because they're "silly"

Like the Lottery Man in Dawn of Sorrow, there was going to be 3 candidates, one of which would get a call that he won the lottery, he'd then bail out and go home.

Easy_D said:
Not like Konami ever gave them a proper budget, they can't afford to waste time making new sprites and shit.

Like the Lottery Man in Dawn of Sorrow, there was going to be 3 candidates, one of which would get a call that he won the lottery, he'd then bail out and go home.

What was the last game IGA has developed that had level design more complex than "throw a bunch of enemies and a few simple obstacles in a room?" You can't blame it all on budget.

Easy_D said:

Making new sprites has nothing to do with making a great 3D CV. He's had several chances and hasn't came close to doing it.

lords of shadow is now a castlevania game?

why did konami ever bother with that shitty looking castlevania announcement trailer last year then?

they should've just come out and said "hey ya know that other trailer we released that looked like a castlevania game but we said wasn't? well that is now going to be a castlevania game!".

Easy_D said:

It has nothing to do with budget and everything to do with having no grasp of game design beyond cookie-cutter Metroidvanias. Their 3D games are laughable when compared with tons of similar games by smaller devs. Nanobreaker in particular is outrageous. And it wasn't the budget.

FoneBone

This would be amusing if true, given that Mercury Steam was rumored about a year ago to be working on a next-gen Castlevania... and then Lords of Shadow was announced without the license.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If IGA can keep doing his 2D joints, cool. Because they have all been nothing but awesome.

As for KojimaPro's Castlevania, I'll reserve judgement. Doesn't mean it's going to be guaranteed awesome just because they're doing it you know.

Already looks like a Curse of Darkness clone. Why can't they just stick to what has worked best in 3D? It had a great atmosphere, memorable and non-repetitive environments, a well-composed orchestral soundtrack and satisfying gameplay without concealed stretches.

Teknoman

Prime Blue said:
Already looks like a Curse of Darkness clone. Why can't they just stick to what has worked best in 3D? It had a great atmosphere, memorable and non-repetitive environments, a well-composed orchestral soundtrack and satisfying gameplay without concealed stretches.

Seriously. For all the people who complain about the game, it was pretty damn good. And felt like a Castlevania game. Not some hack n slash thrown into the universe.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Damn this is huge for me. Castlevania is a series I really love and a Kojima one is gonna rock so damn hard.

MotherFan

3D castlevania is like the hot yet self destructive girl. You want to hope its changed, but every time you go back its always bad.

Wait wat? Am I reading this right? When did Kojima ever work on Castlevania before? Unless this is Ayami Kojima taking over the series somehow. Interactive graphic novel?

traveler

Not Wario
Whoa whoa whoa- this is confirmed to be a new Castlevania? I'm hyped, if so. Was getting a bit tired of the 2D ones and I've always wanted to see a decent 3D one. Hopefully, new talent can pull it off.

Superblatt said:
Yes. Castlevania...with 150% more cutscenes.
But also includes 150% better gameplay(probably) and 150% better production!? Ill take the cutscenes if it means the game is great....this will be niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!

I love IGA to death but it's probably a good call to pull him off the 3D games. It's still weird timing though considering he's coming off what's widely regarded as his best game. Sorry SOTN purists.

Chemo

Teetris said:
Critical reception for both those is over 85%.
Yeah, and those critics have poor taste.

Harmony of Dissonance is by far the worst Castlevania game released in North America that wasn't a Tiger watch or an original Game Boy game.

Lord of Shadows looks great art-wise thus far, if it's actually any good Kojima should pull some strings and get the Castlevania name put on it so that Konami can have an excuse to send IGA and company to the Yugioh mines.

Saint Gregory said:
I love IGA to death but it's probably a good call to pull him off the 3D games. It's still weird timing though considering he's coming off what's widely regarded as his best game. Sorry SOTN purists.
Not only is Symphony of the Night a better Castlevania than any of the ones IGA has made since, Symphony wasn't even IGA's game. It was Toru Hagihara's.

Joei

I am so wanting a new console Castlevania game. I can't wait to find out more about this title.

Chemo said:
Yeah, and those critics have poor taste.

Harmony of Dissonance is by far the worst Castlevania game released in North America that wasn't a Tiger watch or an original Game Boy game.

Lord of Shadows looks great art-wise thus far, if it's actually any good Kojima should pull some strings and get the Castlevania name put on it so that Konami can have an excuse to send IGA and company to the Yugioh mines.

Not only is Symphony of the Night a better Castlevania than any of the ones IGA has made since, Symphony wasn't even IGA's game. It was Toru Hagihara's.

Perhaps, if you like inefficient castle design resulting in oft-ridiculous amounts of backtracking. SotN was quite revelatory at first, overrated ever since.

Seriously, the Metroidvanias have gotten far better pacing since Aria of Sorrow, when Iga decided that the layouts don't have to be so stupidly huge with winding passageways, and overly long hallways and chasms.

evilromero said:
Well this is the best thing to happen to CV since Treasure developing SCIV.

Only one person from the still yet to be formed Treasure was behind Super CV4. Which, by the way, was basically a reenvisioning of the original with the 8-directional whip. Rondo of Blood and Dracula's Curse did more for the old school games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom