• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Castlevania?): Lord of Shadows - Thread of KojiPro and HNGHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemo

Shit, this IS bearing the Castlevania name now?

Holy shit! I am excited about Castlevania for the first time since Dracula X Chronicles, which was the first time I'd been excited for Castlevania since Harmony of Dissonance (and yes, I DID buy and play every one of them, even after Harmony, so yes I am very familiar with IGA's shitty body of work).

Really hope this turns out well, Castlevania used to be my favorite franchise.

Chemo said:
Shit, this IS bearing the Castlevania name now?

Holy shit! I am excited about Castlevania for the first time since Dracula X Chronicles, which was the first time I'd been excited for Castlevania since Harmony of Dissonance (and yes, I DID buy and play every one of them, even after Harmony, so yes I am very familiar with IGA's shitty body of work).

Really hope this turns out well, Castlevania used to be my favorite franchise.

Apparently you missed my last post, but Iga is far from the scourge you make him out to be.

So then if this is being branded a Castlevania then what happens to the trailer showing Alucard that was presumably being made by IGA and his team. Do the 2 games co-exist? Is IGA's game cancelled? Or was that trailer simply for this game and Alucard simply thrown in for fan service even though he won't be in the game?

As for this game, artwork looks quite cool but I have zero faith in this developer given the trend of shitty western developers making terrible entries into Japanese franchises. But I hope it turns out well as I'd like to like it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Meh. There hasn't been a good Castlevania game on consoles since Symphony of the Night. I'd much rather have another IGA-designed DS Castlevania than this. If Kojima is behind it, that just makes me less interested.

I'll probably skip this one and wait for the next DS installment.

Chemo said:
Not only is Symphony of the Night a better Castlevania than any of the ones IGA has made since, Symphony wasn't even IGA's game. It was Toru Hagihara's.
IGA was assitant director/writer and the metroidvania thing was definitely his contribution. Which one is the best game of the series is purely subjective but surely you can admit that Symphony and OoE are the top two.

Epcott

metal-gear-solid-portable-ops-2-20090601053913672-000.jpg

So that's why this seemed a little strange to me. I must have been tired when I saw this in the MGS thread, because I said to myself "A new Vania?" I didn't expect that... and the name Lord of Shadows sounded familiar... since we had a thread about this game a few days ago (the silhouette and so on)

I read this thread and remembered that other secret/mask game from Kojipro

yeah, i remember when i saw the teaser for it a year ago, everyone wondered why it *wasn't* a castlevania game, because it sure fucking looked like one.

people even joked that it even had the "___ of ____" subtitle that was perfect. cmon kojima, impress me with an awesome 3d castlevania!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
duckroll said:
We don't really know any details right now. I guess we'll find out in a day or two.
True, the Konami conference is on the 3rd (right?).

...I still have a bad feeling about this though.

Saint Gregory said:
IGA was assitant director/writer and the metroidvania thing was definitely his contribution. Which one is the best game of the series is purely subjective but surely you can admit that Symphony and OoE are the top two.

Personally I'd rate AoS/DoS above Symphony.

Chemo

cartman414 said:
Apparently you missed my last post, but Iga is far from the scourge you make him out to be.
I wouldn't call it "missed."

And he's even worse than I implied. If this game turns out to be fantastic, and does well at retail, maybe they'll hand the portable games over to someone with actual vision, too. Can't fucking wait to get more info on this now.

Help save my former favorite franchise, Koji-baby.

cartman414 said:
Personally I'd rate AoS/DoS above Symphony.
AoS has one of my favorite Castlevania stories and characters in Soma but they ruined DoS by going all Capcom with the art. They're right behind SOTN on my list though along with the much maligned CotM(damn I loved that card system). This thread has me so pumped for this, when do we see videos?

TreIII

The one thing I would definitely welcome is a CV game with some serious funding behind it. That's something that the series hasn't seen in...how long, now?

Another thing? Maybe doing more to restore CV's old-school, some what tongue-in-cheek/playful nature. I liked that the older games were quite aware of their B-Movie inspired roots. It's something that I think the later games have seriously downplayed over the years...

Raistlin

Interesting.

Given MGS4's gameplay, I think we might finally have a really good 3D Castlevania. The question though, will Kojima call this Castlevania Solid?

Chemo said:
I wouldn't call it "missed."

And he's even worse than I implied. If this game turns out to be fantastic, and does well at retail, maybe they'll hand the portable games over to someone with actual vision, too. Can't fucking wait to get more info on this now.

It seemed that way because you responded without looking at my post, though apparently because you were in the middle of typing up your last post I completed mine.

And the fact still stands: the Metroidvanias from Aria of Sorrow on are much more efficiently designed than Symphony, therefore they cannot be crap by comparison, let alone crap in general. (Infact, I'd rather play them over Symphony any day, barring Portrait of Ruin.)

And as Saint Gregory stated, it was Iga's idea for Symphony to go Metroidvania.

Chemo said:
Yeah, and those critics have poor taste.

Harmony of Dissonance is by far the worst Castlevania game released in North America that wasn't a Tiger watch or an original Game Boy game.

Lord of Shadows looks great art-wise thus far, if it's actually any good Kojima should pull some strings and get the Castlevania name put on it so that Konami can have an excuse to send IGA and company to the Yugioh mines.

Not only is Symphony of the Night a better Castlevania than any of the ones IGA has made since, Symphony wasn't even IGA's game. It was Toru Hagihara's.
This is where you're wrong Aria of Sorrow kicks the shit out of SOTN, seriously after playing AOS people keep telling me that SOTN was better so naturally i was thrilled at the prospect of an even more awesome game than AOS, what i found was a good game but definitely below AOS.

loosus

Banned
The best thing about Castlevania 64: the main male character was not a woman.

By the way, where the fuck did this game come from? As I said earlier, I hadn't been following this at all.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I found that AoS, DoS, and OoE were much better designed than SotN, especially the castle.

I also think OoE wins in terms of music.

Nirolak said:
Wait, if this is the new Castlevania, what happened to this game? http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-08-castlevania-next-gen/41242
IGA is still making it, he just doesn't realize Kojima's usurped him yet :'(
flintstryker said:
This is where you're wrong Aria of Sorrow kicks the shit out of SOTN, seriously after playing AOS people keep telling me that SOTN was better so naturally i was thrilled at the prospect of an even more awesome game than AOS, what i found was a good game but definitely below AOS.
I think nostalgia's a big part of it. It's like when I played Ocarina for the first time on the WW bonus disk after hearing how fantastic it was for years and finding a pretty average 3D Zelda instead. I don't agree with him about SotN being the greatest of all time but it has a closer place in my heart than AoS.

GitarooMan said:
Konami making a 3D Castlevania without IGA? So there is someone out there who answers prayers.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 2D CV without his involvement, but this is also good.

Aside from Mercury Steam's track record, that is...

cartman414 said:
Perhaps, if you like inefficient castle design resulting in oft-ridiculous amounts of backtracking. SotN was quite revelatory at first, overrated ever since.

Seriously, the Metroidvanias have gotten far better pacing since Aria of Sorrow, when Iga decided that the layouts don't have to be so stupidly huge with winding passageways, and overly long hallways and chasms.

Only one person from the still yet to be formed Treasure was behind Super CV4. Which, by the way, was basically a reenvisioning of the original with the 8-directional whip. Rondo of Blood and Dracula's Curse did more for the old school games.
Bullshit. SCIV it like ten times more enthralling than either of those games. CIII comes closer than Ronda, definitely, but IV just blows everything out of the water in terms of controls, level design and atmosphere (soundtrack is brilliant- subtle and depressing).

I don't really care who made it. It's awesome.

Wray

3d Castlevania?

Done right with with quality God of War/DMC gameplay and cinematic presentation?

Sign me up!

TreIII

evilromero said:
Bullshit. SCIV it like ten times more enthralling than either of those games. CIII comes closer than Ronda, definitely, but IV just blows everything out of the water in terms of controls, level design and atmosphere (soundtrack is brilliant- subtle and depressing).

Pretty much.

The only failing I would say about Super CV, is that it's VERY easy to be nigh-unstoppable in that game, once you master the intricacies of that whip. Thus, the game balance was pretty damn lop-sided, in that area.

But it's still a shame, though. I would have liked to think that, if CV did more to take off where that game left off, and just did more to make it so that the game was better balanced to account for the limp whip, it could have been awesome. But nooooooo...now we're lucky if we even get a CV that has a whip/whip-user in it, now-a-days.

LM4sure

Banned
traveler said:
Whoa whoa whoa- this is confirmed to be a new Castlevania? I'm hyped, if so. Was getting a bit tired of the 2D ones and I've always wanted to see a decent 3D one. Hopefully, new talent can pull it off.

No! No, no no! No 3d Castlevania. It's been tried many times. It doesn't work. I would love a 2d Castlevania for the PS3. Castlevania in hd would be so awesome.

andymcc

Banned
evilromero said:

the garish overused purple and spooky treasury sure made SCIV really atmospheric.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I would like a MGS-like Castlevania...

Does this make sense?

Maybe the game could be set in an entire country, with the castle as the last "fortress", rather than just the castle.

Start out in your house in a village, move on to a city, an old temple, the castle, etc.

You could have a support staff a la MGS, but in real-time; they are ghostly presences that can appear at any time next to you and speak about your objectives, etc.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This made E3 for me. I was hoping a new 3D Castlevania would be announced, but I didn't think it would actually happen. This already looks better than the last couple of 3D Castlvanias. The fact that the chain whip is back signifies a lot. It means they're more than likely ditching most of what's happened starting at SOTN and after and going back to the roots. That means old-school action and adventure. I hope they pull this off. This is exactly what I've been wanting out of a Castlevania for a long time now. Yeah! That video was all in game footage which is pretty good, especially the details on that monster's face after it was slain.

TreIII said:
Pretty much.

The only failing I would say about Super CV, is that it's VERY easy to be nigh-unstoppable in that game, once you master the intricacies of that whip.
?
Which intricacies were those? Do you mean flailing it with the dpad like a psycho because that's all I did :lol

Chemo

cartman414 said:
And as Saint Gregory stated, it was Iga's idea for Symphony to go Metroidvania.
I'll be more than happy to accept that if it's actually been stated in some official capacity, but until then, I'm severely skeptical. Regardless, whether it was his idea or not, it's clear that ripping off Metroid (and without ever even approaching Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, or Metroid: Zero Mission levels of quality) is the only idea he's got, and he has strip mined into oblivion. If this is legit, it's a good thing. Embrace change.

flintstryker said:
Hahah, alright.

billy.sea

Banned
Hope they are going beyond a pure action game of DMC or God of War, but with the characteristic of Castlevania, something like Metroid Prime with heavy focus of adventure in it. I think Kojima can help with that.

TreIII

Saint Gregory said:
?
Which intricacies were those? Do you mean flailing it with the dpad like a psycho because that's all I did :lol

Put it like this.

If you know what you were doing with the whip, you should be able to do such things, like flailing it in front of you to craft a barrier that few enemies should get through, letting in hang so that enemies beneath you would get what's coming to them, and taking advantage of being able to attacking from ANY angle (including downwards, with jumps).

The whip was at its best in SCV. That much is undisputed.

Mar_ said:
An Iga-less Castlevania?

Sign me the fuck up.

Where do I sign?

The concept art we've got looks awesome; I personally agree that 3D 'vania is possible with a good team and fresh approach. I actually enjoyed Scrapland...The trailer for this one was pretty sweet, very gothic art style and I'm all for it. I still find it strange that Kojima is working on a new "Castlevania", anybody else feel the same?

Either way, sign me the fuck up as well!

evilromero said:

I disagree. Super CV4 was nerfed in terms of challenge by the 8-way whip in combination with the fact you were facing off against basically the same enemies, and that the zoomed in view pulled the enemies closer to Simon, basically making them easy pickings. And the controls, aside from said whip, hook grappling (which was occasional, really), Simon crouch-walking, and having a little midair control, were essentially the same. I mean, he walked at the same slow pace! Which was fine when you had the standard whip control and enemy threat level from the other entries in the series, but here, it was just you going on auto-pilot at that same slow walking pace. So more enthralling? I think not.

And what you consider subtle and depressing about the soundtrack I consider too low-key and lethargic for an action-vania for its own good, and often lacking in the tension of other series entries.

Aside from that, Super CV4 was completely linear in its stage progression, and had a couple too many stages for such a Castlevania, and it wore out its welcome near the end as a result IMO, especially given the game's pacing. Dracula's Curse and Rondo of Blood had multiple paths, which gave both games the luxury of more stages while keeping separate playthroughs to reasonable lengths, and making it so that you had multiple paths of progression for the sake of variety. Speaking of which, you also had alternate characters in both games with their own advantages/disadvantages as well.

TreIII said:
The whip was at its best in SCV. That much is undisputed.

If not for the fact that it was so out of place, given that there weren't any enemies that you really needed to use it against. It was overpowered against them.

Chemo said:
I'll be more than happy to accept that if it's actually been stated in some official capacity, but until then, I'm severely skeptical. Regardless, whether it was his idea or not, it's clear that ripping off Metroid (and without ever even approaching Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, or Metroid: Zero Mission levels of quality) is the only idea he's got, and he has strip mined into oblivion. If this is legit, it's a good thing. Embrace change.

I won't disagree about change. That said, claiming that SotN is superior to subsequent Metroidvanias because it came first is as silly as claiming, say, that Link to the Past is the best top down 2d Zelda of its kind just because all subsequent top down Zeldas have "copied" it, ignoring the possibility that subsequent games of their kinds have actually evolved over their predecessors.

Chemo said:
I wish I could remember for sure but IGA did an interview with either GameFan or GamePro before CotM launched where he talked a little about how the shift to Metroidvania happened and he certainly made it sound like it was his idea. I think OoE was the perfect way to wrap the Metroidvanias though and I'm totally ready for another shift in the series if that's what this is.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Where do I sign?

The concept art we've got looks awesome; I personally agree that 3D 'vania is possible with a good team and fresh approach. I actually enjoyed Scrapland...The trailer for this one was pretty sweet, very gothic art style and I'm all for it. I still find it strange that Kojima is working on a new "Castlevania", anybody else feel the same?

Either way, sign me the fuck up as well!

28clz7l.jpg

LaneDS

This might have jumped to my most wanted game if the rumors all pan out, and it is indeed a KojiPro CV.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
If the concept art is indicative of how the environments will ultimately be portrayed then this game is going to be sick (assuming liberties aren't taken here and there). I love the mood of it so far.

TreIII

cartman414 said:
If not for the fact that it was so out of place, given that there weren't any enemies that you really needed to use it against. It was overpowered against them.

Again, I agree in the notion that the whip being vastly overpowered (in the right hands) was one of the few things that may have ended up "breaking" the game.

But otherwise, I find it a fine game with an excellent soundtrack (Theme of Simon is one of the best CV themes ever, in my ears! :lol), and plenty of mechanics that I wished could have been re-iterated in other games. Crouch-walking was another one I missed, and like, the limp whip, is something that I think could have been marvelous in a sequel that built upon what SCV began.

TreIII said:
Again, I agree in the notion that the whip being vastly overpowered (in the right hands) was one of the few things that may have ended up "breaking" the game.

But otherwise, I find it a fine game with an excellent soundtrack (Theme of Simon is one of the best CV themes ever, in my ears! :lol), and plenty of mechanics that I wished could have been re-iterated in other games. Crouch-walking was another one I missed, and like, the limp whip, is something that I think could have been marvelous in a sequel that built upon what SCV began.

I will agree about the crouch-walking, and possibly the whip flailing, though the latter would have to be highly limited in terms of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom