• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Castlevania?): Lord of Shadows - Thread of KojiPro and HNGHHHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nuclear Muffin said:
Surely this would indicate that this is not a Castlevania game?

That was last year. Read what duckroll highlighted. If you didn't know the name of the game and you read that, wouldn't you think it was CV? It wouldn't make sense for Konami to have two games that are that similar.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
D.Lo said:
Until today I didn't realise opinions could be factually wrong...:D

Oh, and I agree with the Igarashi haters. Konami's fault too though, they had a top tier franchise and let it slide to near oblivion.
Since when was Castlevania top tier? Hell has CV even had a million seller?

SMZC

SolidSnakex said:
That was last year. Read what duckroll highlighted. If you didn't know the name of the game and you read that, wouldn't you think it was CV? It wouldn't make sense for Konami to have two games that are that similar.

There hasn't been any Castlevania set in the Middle Ages except Lament of Innocence, which only took place in that time frame because it was a prequel.

Also, about the game's main weapon:

(...)"can be extended into a stabbing weapon, or changed into a heavier night stick style device for defensive capabilities."

That doesn't sound like the Vampire Killer whip at all.

I still don't think this is a Castlevania title.

SMZC said:
There hasn't been any Castlevania set in the Middle Ages except Lament of Innocence, which only took place in that time frame because it was a prequel.

So if it takes place at either end of the Castlevania Timeline, it can't be a Castlevania game,

That doesn't sound like the Vampire Killer whip at all.

And if it features a different weapon to the Vampire Killer whip, it can't be a Castlevania game.

Hmm

Chemo

SMZC said:
Castlevania has never sold incredibly well. SOTN itself had pretty shit sales, despite of being regarding as the best of the series by most people. Say what you will about IGA, but the thing is, with another director, we would have still gotten low-budget games. Actually, without IGA, we probably wouldn't even had gotten any new games of the series for a long time now.
The IGA force always clings to this, even though it has no bearing on reality whatsoever. I swear, where does this even come from? It is literally like Igarashi supporters think he's the only person who can or would work on Castlevania, and that he's the emotional glue keeping the franchise together. As if he has some power over Konami and can make them keep Castlevania alive. If Konami wanted to quit making Castlevanias, they would... just like if IGA left, they'd find a new franchise head.

Solo

This shit is confusing - which game is Kojima himself actually directing - MGS:pW, MGS:R, or CV:LoS? None of these games appeal to me much, but I want to know which one I should at least be keeping an eye on.

Dascu

Aru said:
It doesn't exist ? o_O
But we got a teaser. We got one for LoS too.
Might be cancelled in favour of a new 2D (HD?) Castlevania. I sure hope so.

Otherwise, they'd have Lords of Shadow and SotN2 in fairly short succession on the same platforms. It'd be pretty strange to have two 3D Castlevanias for PS360 in the works alongside eachother.

SMZC

Graphics Horse said:
So if it takes place at either end of the Castlevania Timeline, it can't be a Castlevania game,

How cute. Except that I didn't say that at all. A new Castlevania title could take place in the Middle Ages, but if there's a game that could potentially be a Castlevania title, I don't think the fact that it takes place in that time period is any sort of proof that it's a Castlevania title.

And if it features a different weapon to the Vampire Killer whip, it can't be a Castlevania game.

Hmm

So, you're admitting that's not the Vampire Killer whip.

The reason why most people thought that Lord of Shadows could be a Castlevania title was because they thought that this game's character was using the series' iconic whip. You've pretty much admitted that's not the Vampire Killer whip, so that leaves us with one less reason to think that Lord of Shadows is a Castlevania title. Unless you think that the only series that can have a whip-like weapon is Castlevania.

Chemo said:
The IGA force always clings to this, even though it has no bearing on reality whatsoever. I swear, where does this even come from? It is literally like Igarashi supporters think he's the only person who can or would work on Castlevania, and that he's the emotional glue keeping the franchise together. As if he has some power over Konami and can make them keep Castlevania alive. If Konami wanted to quit making Castlevanias, they would... just like if IGA left, they'd find a new franchise head.

What a surprise to see you in this thread.

I really doubt Konami gives a damn about the series. It doesn't have stellar sales, so if there hadn't been any producer interested in continuing the franchise, they would had most likely stopped making Castlevania titles altogether; at least for a while. IGA had a genuine interest in the series (I really doubt he cares too much about it now, but I'm talking about the past); he went to his superiors and requested them that they moved him to the Castlevania team. He's been making games since then because he feels he has an obligation to keep alive the same series that he was a fan of before he started working on it.

As little money as the series makes, it must still make some, so Konami keeps giving IGA some funds so he can keep making low-budget games. But if he didn't have any personal interest in continuing the series, I'm sure Konami would just use those resources and money for something else.

SMZC said:
So, you're admitting that's not the Vampire Killer whip.

The reason why most people thought that Lord of Shadows could be a Castlevania title was because they thought that this game's character was using the series' iconic whip. You've pretty much admitted that's not the Vampire Killer whip, so that leaves us with one less reason to think that Lord of Shadows is a Castlevania title. Unless you think that the only series that can have a whip-like weapon is Castlevania.

I'm saying they're not reasons to suggest it's not a Castlevania, and even if it didn't start out life as one, it doesn't look like it would take much effort to rebrand it.

How should I know if it's the legendary whip? It's been depicted in a bunch of different ways already.

SMZC

Graphics Horse said:
I'm saying they're not reasons to suggest it's not a Castlevania

I never said they were. But they aren't reasons to think that it's a Castlevania title, either.

and even if it didn't start out life as one, it doesn't look like it would take much effort to rebrand it.

That's something I can agree with.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Press Release said:
Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has used Europe’s leading video game event, the annual Games Convention in Leipzig, to unveil a landmark new title for PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360 from its European Product Planning department entitled Lords of Shadow, which is due for release in 2010.

Developed by Madrid-based Mercury Steam, Lords of Shadow is a stunning new action-adventure IP, boasting an incredible level of visual detail and far-ranging gameplay. Set in Southern Europe during the middle ages, Lords of Shadow has beautifully-realised locales that play host to an epic battle between good and evil. This is a story of one man’s journey to discover the true meaning of sacrifice amidst murder and betrayal.

Best described as a dark fairy tale, Lords of Shadow casts the player as the mysterious Gabriel. At its heart it is a vast third-person-viewed adventure, but combat and puzzle solving also play a major part in the main quest, while dark artifacts can be used to enhance Gabriel’s powers.

Lords of Shadow also utilises a unique multi-functional weapon system called the Combat Cross™, wherein Gabriel’s favored armament can serve a multitude of purposes. For ranged attacks, an extendible chain can cause major carnage but also grip enemies, for melee the Combat Cross™ can be extended into a stabbing weapon, or changed into a heavier night stick style device for defensive capabilities.

With a play area that spans forest glades, underground catacombs and snowy wastelands, Lords of Shadow is a key title for Konami. It represents the most ambitious offering from the European Product Planning department to date, with the beautiful visuals married to fine-tuned gameplay that features a wide range of monstrous enemies and huge, screen-filling boss creatures.

“Lords of Shadow is a momentous title for us,” commented Dave Cox, Executive Producer and Head of Product Planning for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH. “Every element of the game pushes the host hardware to its limits, with Mercury Steam producing a game that has breath-taking visuals, incredible cinematic qualities, and varied and engrossing gameplay. It is truly an epic game but telling a human and emotive story. This is a title we hope will set a new standard for action-adventure titles.”

Lords of Shadow will be released for PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360 in 2010. For more information, please contact Steve Merrett at Voltage PR on 020 7903 5122 or email steve@voltagepr.com.

© 2008 Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.:

There is nothing in that press release that says this game is a Castlevania title. It says it's a new IP and the weapon is not the Vampire Killer. However, the press release is from last year at the Leipzig Game Convention. So here's the question. Is Lords of Shadow a new stand alone IP or have they attached the title to the Castlevania franchise in an attempt to give it a reboot? So far the only indication that this is a Castlvania game is the image below, which is more recent than anything else in this thread. For now, all we can do is assume the title has been reworked into a Castlevania game and that Kojima is somehow involved. Are there any GAFFERs at E3 that can look into this?

metal-gear-solid-portable-ops-2-20090601053913672-000.jpg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I didn't see this posted yet, but here's more speculation that it's a Castlevania title.

http://kotaku.com/5274898/kojima-taking-on-castlevania-with-lords-of-shadow

Kotaku said:
The reins of Konami's Castlevania franchise may be handed to Hideo Kojima and Kojima Productions, as the developer is listed as partly responsible for a new game in the series Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Lords of Shadow was actually announced at last year's Games Convention, a title to be developed by Madrid-based Mercury Steam and originally pitched as the foundation of a new "action-adventure IP." Looks like that might have changed, as the game may have been retrofitted to be a new Castlevania game for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Not that difficult of a retrofit maybe, as the game's first trailer showed a cast that looked very much at home in the Castlevania universe, with a protagonist named Gabriel wielding the hilt of a weapon—known as the Combat Cross—that's part whip, part stabbing weapon.

The Castlevania: Lords of Shadow connection comes as part of a triumvirate of Gamespress leaks and may be tied to Kojima Productions "Mask" project. Will Mr. Kojima have another sneaky announcement planned for Sony's E3 press conference tomorrow? Tune in and find out!

Edit - More speculation. Basically, nothing is confirmed yet.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-castlevania-lords-of-shadows-coming-in-2010-134410.phtml

Destructiod said:
Thanks to an early leak, it looks like the long-in-production Kojima game Lords of Shadows is actually a -- gasp! -- Castlevania title … and it’s headed to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in 2010!

This whole concept is surreal to me right now, but as the pieces are slowly coming together, it looks like all this information could turn out to be true! Of course, we will know if this is, indeed, fact when Konami has its press conference later on this week.

But, seriously, let’s think about what this leak is telling us: The mysterious “dark fairy tale” action/adventure game Lords of Shadows that is one of the next big games from Kojima Productions … is actually the next game in the Castlevania series. Kojima and Castlevania. Joining forces. Oh my lord have mercy this is incredible.

And, as fellow editor Grim said: “Castlevania: Now with 100% more cutscenes!” Ha!

What do you think about this news? Are you just as confused as I am? Do you feel better waiting until the Konami press conference to get excited about this? If it is true, are you hoping and praying that Lords of Shadows could actually be a 2D game? Also, is it possible that this rumor could have been started by a simple cut and paste mistake?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
lherre said:
It's a castlevania title, no doubt about it.
I hope it's the Castlevania people have been waiting for, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'll admit, that's pretty hard right now. :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Gantz said:
2.5D or bust!
I wouldn't mind one over PSN or XBLA, but I still want a 3D Castlevania done right. Actually, if they make a new 2D or 2.5D one I hope it's more along the lines of SCIV or Dracula X (Rhondo of Blood). I'm burnt out on the Metroidvanias - I didn't even finish the last 2 DS games.

Cheerilee

SMZC said:
lol, IGA haters.

I'm not too fond of the man's few latest games, but no one knows for sure how much exactly he was involved in SOT. So, to say that he took credit for someone else's work is downright fucking retarded. Here are the facts: The original director stepped down at some unknown point during the development of SOTN, and IGA took over. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.
Here's most of what we do know.

Toru Hagihara put the SotN team together, supposedly using a lot of veterans with CV1-4 experience, right after the Treasure guys left Konami (Treasure only having one or two people with CV-specific roots). He made Rondo of Blood and was working on a Sega 32X sequel which moved to the PSX. Well into development (when it was too late to become a Saturn game), Sony blocked SotN, and Hagihara became so tired of talking to Sony that he just stopped talking to them, and continued the project on a back burner.

Iga was a writer/producer who made Tokimeki Memorial. After the second game he said that he felt the franchise had gone as far as it could go, and since CV3 had been his favorite game, he asked to join a CV team. He was told that if he got Sony to approve SotN, he could join their group.

Iga convinced Sony to allow the game, so the game (as we know it) owes it's existence to him. He was given the title of Assistant Producer under Hagihara. He wrote the story of the game. Alucard (as a CV3 reference) was his idea (the game was initially going to star Richter and the grown-up Maria). Hagihara retired/was promoted after the Japanese version of the game was completed, so Iga was in charge of the game's localization, including the infamous opening.

To give Iga credit for anything more than that without a good reason is the real speculation here.

After Hagihara left, Iga was given command of Hagihara's team, and he had them port Castlevania Chronicles, stated his long-delayed desire to port Rondo of Blood, and wrote an all-inclusive timeline for the series. Konami recognized his love for the series so they gave him absolute power over the series, which was the key mistake in this whole affair. There were at least three other teams within Konami at the time with an active and visible interest in and history of making CV games, but Iga shut them all down. Iga's vision was to be the only vision for the series. And his vision hasn't been good. The PS2 games? The PSP Rondo remake? Deathnotevania? His only success has come from milking SotN, which he's done a great job with, and I for one hope he continues that path (and I also hope he brings Tokimeki over here), but we have to ask if Iga's the one we should be thanking, or the remnants of Toru Hagihara's SotN team? Nevermind the fact that there's reporters out there who see him at E3 with his black hat and leather whip, and call him the father of Castlevania. In my book, that makes Iga overrated.

I appreciate Iga's passion, and everything he has done and tried to do for the series, but some of his efforts have caused more harm than good. I've said for years that what the series needs is for Iga to come down from it's throne, that way new ideas can come forward without fear. Iga still leads Hagihara's team and can still make the kind of games I love.

I find it kind of sad that Hideo Kojima has been the only one within Konami with the power to even speak about Castlevania (when he suggested that Jaffe should make one), and now he's even made one. I mean, it's good that Kojima did it, and I hope it encourages more free ideas, or if Iga's power still holds, at least people might feel more comfortable in bringing ideas to Iga's table, but it's sad that it took someone as powerful as Hideo Kojima to do it. Konami was willing to just let the series rot. They knew Iga didn't have great ideas, which was why they never gave him any real money, but they just let him putter around in the corner.

jett

D-Member
Chemo said:
Of course they do, because Symphony of the Night was amazing and fresh when it came out. We were YEARS removed from Super Metroid, and that series was practically confirmed dead by Nintendo, so it was a taste of something gamers hadn't had in ages. It was also completely new for Castlevania, which made it exciting. People loved it.

Without taking the 3D console installments into account, our next 2D Castlevania was Circle of the Moon (not by IGA, but also not nearly as good as Symphony). Then we got Harmony of Dissonance, the absolute worst of the worst. Then we got Aria of Sorrow. Then we got Dawn of Sorrow. Then we got Portrait of Ruin. Then we got Order of Ecclesia. Only slight changes were made to the formula, and even slighter changes to the enemy sprites, with the story and tone going from already pretty hokey into downright embarrassing. Level design is a joke too, with every game mostly consisting of hallways and floating platforms with the occasional environmental hazard here and there. Even the art direction became piss poor. What made Symphony of the Night so fresh, the Metroid style, is exactly what makes IGA's titles so boring... there was practically no change to the series after Igarashi took over, outside of small tweaks/gimmicks and disgusting 3D console abortions.

Look at the earlier Castlevania titles, up through Symphony. They're all pretty different from one another, if you take them in the order of release... you have the original, then you have the weirdo second game, then you have the character-swapping/branching-paths third game, then you have the tribute to the first game with IV, etc etc. The series was very exciting in that time because the games were unique and you could always expect to be entertained and surprised with each new iteration... and Symphony was the biggest surprise of all, because the change was absolutely drastic. Since then we've meandered in the same old shit for a decade, thanks to a guy who takes credit for Symphony's success. Since he obviously can't come up with a game of his own, he just traces over the lines that Hagihara drew for Symphony and tries to change things slightly so that it isn't obvious that he's a no-trick pony.

People don't put enough blame on this guy... the fact that he has defenders at all is indicative of that. It is actually beyond the scope of my comprehension that there are people who can't see that Koji Igarashi is not only a hack, but that he has no business whatsoever being in charge of a development team. Especially not one responsible for handling such a classic franchise.

Of course it does. IGA can't do anything but try to relive Symphony's glory, time and time and time again. He's the game developer equivalent of a comic book artist who traces other peoples' work. Whereas Symphony of the Night was a love letter to Metroid, the subsequent releases are lazy cash-ins made solely for people who don't mind paying $35 to play what is basically the same Castlevania game over and over forever.

You said everything that needed to be said. Fuck IGA.

i have the feeling that this will be great and fresh and redefining castlevania like synphony of the night did back then (Belmont mode after 100% completion pls)

eso76 said:
holy shit, anyone who keeps saying Castlevania should stay 2D need to forget those weak Iga attempts and go watch some Bayonetta gameplay footage.
DMC and Bayonetta have nothing to do with Castlevania gameplay.

eso76

holy shit, anyone who keeps saying Castlevania should stay 2D need to forget those weak Iga attempts and go watch some Bayonetta gameplay footage.

Docpan said:
IGA did not step into his position as head of development for SOTN until more than halfway through the project.

Keep in mind this was a game that originally began as a title for the 32X. Its ambition extended beyond the reach of a cartridge and found itself on the PS1. IGA was brought on board as the team expanded.

In short, he can not be accredited to the success of the game. The concept and gameplay elements were already in place long before he stepped into the picture. In other words, the guy is a hack. He took credit for the massive success of the game, then continued to milk it for over a decade, pumping out several 3d travesties along the way. (Ironically, they were worse than the N64 games which he so vehemently tore apart in various interviews with the press)

The Castlevania games were at one point in time a tremendous asset to the gaming industry. But after SOTN, that light began to fade. Instead of upping the budgets and giving development duty to those who could take the series in directions never seen before, they left it in the hands of a man who was content with pumping out the same shit time after time on handheld formats.

All I can say is, thank fucking LORD he is out of the picture.

I've been saying it for years, but he really did ruin the franchise. Let's hope Kojima Productions can restore it to its former glory.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. This guy hasn't done shit for the series since then besides putting it into obscurity. Rehash after rehash for the so called "best 2D game series of all-time".

The fact that Castlevania hasn't had a good 3D iteration is a joke. But what's even more ridiculous is how much potential the series still has for 2D. Huge open-world maps and environments, multiple layer interaction, Z-Axis Travel and path transition, etc. Yet the biggest difference he made to the series is simply adding a gimmick to one of the games where you had tag team characters.

Ridiculous. Hopefully Kojima will deliver.

eso76

Flying_Phoenix said:
ridiculous is how much potential the series still has for 2D. Huge open-world maps and environments, multiple layer interaction, Z-Axis Travel and path transition, etc.

please no, multiple layers and z axis movements in 2d games = instant fail.

Also, screw 2.5D. It's either hd bitmap sprites, hand drawn or pixel art and glorious layers of parallax scrolling or full 3d.

SMZC

ruby_onix said:

Toru Hagihara put the SotN team together, supposedly using a lot of veterans with CV1-4 experience, right after the Treasure guys left Konami (Treasure only having one or two people with CV-specific roots). He made Rondo of Blood and was working on a Sega 32X sequel which moved to the PSX. Well into development (when it was too late to become a Saturn game), Sony blocked SotN, and Hagihara became so tired of talking to Sony that he just stopped talking to them, and continued the project on a back burner.

Iga was a writer/producer who made Tokimeki Memorial. After the second game he said that he felt the franchise had gone as far as it could go, and since CV3 had been his favorite game, he asked to join a CV team. He was told that if he got Sony to approve SotN, he could join their group.

Iga convinced Sony to allow the game, so the game (as we know it) owes it's existence to him. He was given the title of Assistant Producer under Hagihara. He wrote the story of the game. Alucard (as a CV3 reference) was his idea (the game was initially going to star Richter and the grown-up Maria). Hagihara retired/was promoted after the Japanese version of the game was completed, so Iga was in charge of the game's localization, including the infamous opening.

To give Iga credit for anything more than that without a good reason is the real speculation here.

After Hagihara left, Iga was given command of Hagihara's team, and he had them port Castlevania Chronicles, stated his long-delayed desire to port Rondo of Blood, and wrote an all-inclusive timeline for the series. Konami recognized his love for the series so they gave him absolute power over the series, which was the key mistake in this whole affair. There were at least three other teams within Konami at the time with an active and visible interest in and history of making CV games, but Iga shut them all down. Iga's vision was to be the only vision for the series. And his vision hasn't been good. The PS2 games? The PSP Rondo remake? Deathnotevania? His only success has come from milking SotN, which he's done a great job with, and I for one hope he continues that path (and I also hope he brings Tokimeki over here), but we have to ask if Iga's the one we should be thanking, or the remnants of Toru Hagihara's SotN team? Nevermind the fact that there's reporters out there who see him at E3 with his black hat and leather whip, and call him the father of Castlevania. In my book, that makes Iga overrated.

I appreciate Iga's passion, and everything he has done and tried to do for the series, but some of his efforts have caused more harm than good. I've said for years that what the series needs is for Iga to come down from it's throne, that way new ideas can come forward without fear. Iga still leads Hagihara's team and can still make the kind of games I love.

I find it kind of sad that Hideo Kojima has been the only one within Konami with the power to even speak about Castlevania (when he suggested that Jaffe should make one), and now he's even made one. I mean, it's good that Kojima did it, and I hope it encourages more free ideas, or if Iga's power still holds, at least people might feel more comfortable in bringing ideas to Iga's table, but it's sad that it took someone as powerful as Hideo Kojima to do it. Konami was willing to just let the series rot. They knew Iga didn't have great ideas, which was why they never gave him any real money, but they just let him putter around in the corner.

Um... Great post, but pardon me... I think half of that is pure speculation. For instance, IGA didn't "shut down" the other teams with a history of making Castlevanias. Both Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia were made by a team formed by both IGA's previous team and members of KCEK that had worked on Circle of the Moon before.

This is just speculation from my part, but I think that Hagihara started working on a classic style Castlevania, starring Richter. You mentioned that IGA was the one that convinced Sony to let them release the game, and also that he was the one that turned Alucard into the main character. Well, I think that IGA took over, changed the game from a classic style Castlevania to a 2D adventure game, thus giving birth to the Castleroid style, (after all, how in the world would half of the RPG elements had been even possible if Richter had been the main character?) and that this change in gameplay allowed IGA to convince Sony to let them release the game on their system. Again, this is just speculation, but if there's something I'm almost 100% certain of is that IGA was indeed the man responsible for introducing into the series the adventure and RPG elements. And without them, SOTN wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it is now (actually, it would've been a completely different game).

Besides, if you watch the interview that comes with Castlevania Chronicles, you'll see IGA talking about the RPG and adventure elements as if it had all been his own idea. He mentions how he wanted to make the series less challenging and more accessible to casual gamers, and the adventure&RPG elements that redefined the series were all part of this. There is no doubt that IGA was responsible for the things that made it possible for SOTN to redefine the series.

Also, I think you're trying to make IGA's power of the franchise look like something that it isn't in order to make him look like the evil bad guy responsible for the series' shittyness. Yes, Konami handed Castlevania to IGA, but, in the end, what is done with the series is Konami's call. If they want to hand it to someone else, they will do so. Also, it didn't take Hideo Kojima to "stand up" to IGA; Kojima just made a remark meant as a compliment to the God of War team. I really doubt Kojima had any interest in the Castlevania franchise to begin with. He used to be the vicepresident of Konami; if he had any special interest in taking the series out of IGA's hands, he would have done so. After all, IGA is a nobody next to Kojima; I don't even have to mention this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, what else has Mercurysteam made? I've never heard of them before... a look on Wikipedia I see the following games:

# American McGee presents: Scrapland (2004, 2005) (Windows PC, Xbox)
# Clive Barker’s Jericho (2007) (Windows PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)

Never heard of either, were they any good?

Vorador

Banned
djtiesto said:
So, what else has Mercurysteam made? I've never heard of them before... a look on Wikipedia I see the following games:

# American McGee presents: Scrapland (2004, 2005) (Windows PC, Xbox)
# Clive Barker’s Jericho (2007) (Windows PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)

Never heard of either, were they any good?

Scrapland was pretty good.
Jericho was okey-ish, it's main problem was the extremely weak ending (i heard somewhere they had to improvise the ending due to time constraints) and the poor AI. Seeing your teammates dying over and over because they couldn't cover for shit was very annoying.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I called this last year and got gang raped by the "Kojima makes movies not games!" brigade. I thought a 3D castlevania from him showed unlimited potential. Dracula needs to be revitalized and realized to take advantage of the fantastic lore it comes from.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I'm still hoping for a new 2D Metroidvania by IGA. AoS and OoE were both much, much better than SOTN despite what some people say and I think he deserves another stab at it. Especially after OoE which more than made up for DoS/PoR not being up to par.

ruby_onix said:

Great post, but I don't even think IGA's 2D efforts were any good post-Aria. From Dawn Of Sorrow and on, IGA's team unabashedly threw together copy & paste symmetrical map designs, resulting in boring-beyond-belief stages with nothing but repetitious enemy-hammering, just like the PS2 games.
I'd rather see the series divided up between teams like it used to be, so hopefully this game will start that once again.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
ruby_onix said:

So if you were to guess, exactly how much of that post was pulled out of your ass? 50%? 80%? All of it?

Cheerilee

SMZC said:
Um... Great post, but pardon me... I think half of that is pure speculation. For instance, IGA didn't "shut down" the other teams with a history of making Castlevanias. Both Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia were made by a team formed by both IGA's previous team and members of KCEK that had worked on Circle of the Moon before.
I didn't mean that he literally shut down the other teams, but that he shut down their desire to make or even think about making games for Castlevania. You said that without Iga, nobody would be making CV games, but there were at least four teams that wanted to make CV games at the time (maybe more). Iga/Hagihara's team, KCE Kobe, KCE Nagoya, and Tomikazu Kirita. Kobe was annexed, Nagoya was told to fuck off, and Kirita quit after Iga canned his game. End result? Iga is the only one left standing who wants to make CV games, and no new faces have emerged since then. So yes, without Iga nobody would be making Castlevania, but should we thank him or curse him for that?

This is just speculation from my part, but I think that Hagihara started working on a classic style Castlevania, starring Richter. You mentioned that IGA was the one that convinced Sony to let them release the game, and also that he was the one that turned Alucard into the main character. Well, I think that IGA took over, changed the game from a classic style Castlevania to a 2D adventure game, thus giving birth to the Castleroid style, (after all, how in the world would half of the RPG elements had been even possible if Richter had been the main character?) and that this change in gameplay allowed IGA to convince Sony to let them release the game on their system. Again, this is just speculation, but if there's something I'm almost 100% certain of is that IGA was indeed the man responsible for introducing into the series the adventure and RPG elements. And without them, SOTN wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it is now (actually, it would've been a completely different game).

Besides, if you watch the interview that comes with Castlevania Chronicles, you'll see IGA talking about the RPG and adventure elements as if it had all been his own idea. He mentions how he wanted to make the series less challenging and more accessible to casual gamers, and the adventure&RPG elements that redefined the series were all part of this. There is no doubt that IGA was responsible for the things that made it possible for SOTN to redefine the series.

Iga was a writer. He created the yaoi fanfic side of Alucard. It makes logical sense that the game was Richter-based and didn't have weapons or armor before Iga made that contribution, but it's a stretch to say that Iga gave them that RPG-side of Alucard too. He could have. He was there. He may have drawn some sprites. He may have designed some rooms. But we'll never know unless we have something to base that on. And Iga does take credit for "team efforts" even when he had nothing to do with them (like the 32X version of the game I mentioned earlier).

IIRC, it was said that it was Iga's idea to have the character start out with the most badass weapons in the game, only to lose them moments later, but that was just part of his overall writing job, and obviously came after weapons were added to the game's formula.

Iga was a part of SotN and his contributions to it are most likely immesurable, but it's ridiculous to say that he created SotN or the modern Metroidvania, and ignore the contributions of a great leader and team that was already in place, already working on the job, and by all appearances, better than Iga (nowhere near intended as an insult).

discoalucard said:
So if you were to guess, exactly how much of that post was pulled out of your ass? 50%? 80%? All of it?
Considering that you snipped my commentary on internal power struggles (which I will freely admit came straight out of my ass), approximately 0%. Everything in that quote is out there and well known. None of it came from me.

eso76 said:
please no, multiple layers and z axis movements in 2d games = instant fail.

Also, screw 2.5D. It's either hd bitmap sprites, hand drawn or pixel art and glorious layers of parallax scrolling or full 3d.

When did I even hint of 2.5D?

And multiple layers and Z-Axis movements are only "fail" because there aren't any games yet that have done them effectively yet.

Xater

Watched the trailer the game actually looks good. Shit didn't think a 3D Castlevania could get interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom