• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Mirror's Edge 2 Is In Development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

This popped up recently:

LinkedIn said:
Oscar Carlén’s Summary

Just finished lighting Mirror´s Edge.

Portfolio 2000-2009:
- Battlefield 1942
- Battlefield 1942 : Road to Rome
- Battlefield Vietnam
- Battlefield 2
- Battlefield Bad Company
- Mirrors Edge

Now lighting:
- Battlefield 3
- Mirror´s Edge 2
Source:http://www.linkedin.com/in/o2car

It was also on his portfolio page, which he has now updated with a rather suspicious message:

Portfolio said:
Resumé:
Professional work:
2009 - present : Lighting at EA DICE (Move along, nothing to see here...)
Source: http://www.oscarlen.com/

--------------

Original Post:

Speaking with Videogamer, EA's Patrick Soderlund confirmed that Mirror's Edge 2 is in development. It sounds like it's still in pre-production, but is being actively developed.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Videogamer said:
‘You will see another Mirror’s Edge for sure’ says exec.

A ‘small team’ is working on Mirror’s Edge 2, EA has confirmed.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at E3, the outspoken Patrick Soderlund, who as senior vice president at EA Games Europe oversees all European game development, said he was “excited” by what developer DICE, where he is based, will do with the game.

Mirror’s Edge divided opinion on its release in November 2008. While fans applauded the innovative Parkour-inspired first-person action, critics slammed the game for its short length and poor storyline.

When asked for an update on the future of the IP, Soderlund told us: “Mirror’s Edge was a risky move. It was a bold move, a very innovative and inspiring move. The game wasn’t perfect by any means. We would have liked the game to sell better even though the game has sold better than most people think.”

He added: “You will see another Mirror’s Edge for sure. It’s just a matter of when that time is and what we do with it. We have a small team on it and I’m excited about what we do.”

Soderlund’s comments are the first confirmation that a sequel is in development. Up to this point the game had only been mentioned by EA as a title in consideration. During a December 2008 conference call EA CEO John Riccitiello assured fans that the company wasn’t giving up on the IP, despite less than stellar sales.

As reported by Edge, Riccitiello said: "Mirror's Edge is one that was very strongly reviewed, that one's going to go forward. We're probably going to look into some issues around the design to make sure strong IP is married with strong business."

Unfortunately Soderlund couldn't offer any other details or a possible release date on the game.
Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/ea_confirms_small_team_working_on_mirror_s_edge_2.html

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Good. I was also very impressed by the interview with DICE when they looked back on ME and talked about the hings they would have done differently.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
ME was one of my favourite games last year inspite of some of the issues, so yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to a sequel.

Peru

Best game of 2008. Thank the birds above that slightly shoddy sales and dumb game critics didn't stop a sequel.

Kritz

Banned
This is outstanding news. Though I may burn the "Small Team's" office building to the ground if this game features more of those fucking ventilation shafts that the first game loved so much.

Awesome news. Hopefully the new EA Sports Active brand is going to continue pulling in money enough to keep a repeat of last year from happening so games like Mirror's Edge will continue to be made.

I'm interested in just how they'll be responding to last year's criticisms, though.

Dachande

Router said:
Good. I was also very impressed by the interview with DICE when they looked back on ME and talked about the hings they would have done differently.

Is there a link to that anywhere? Sounds very interesting.

Lakitu

st5fu
Router said:

Where can I see this please?

itsinmyveins

Peru said:
Best game of 2008. Thank the birds above that slightly shoddy sales and dumb game critics didn't stop a sequel.

ME has sold over a million copies though, right?

Ramenman

I'm pretty sure we already new that. Some kind of "nevertheless there will be a sequel" stealth announcement regarding the sales of the game.

Or maybe I just know that GOTY 2008 can't go without a sequel.

Router said:

Hey ! where was that ? Link !

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
less shooty-shooty and a more sensible story pls. otherwise ME1 was great. excited like nobody's business.

Rindain

Banned
Awesome news.

But PLEASE put REAL MIRRORS in the game this time! I want to se myelf scaling buildings like in the concept art.

Oh, and in-engine cutscenes too.

I have to say, some of the language in there is slightly worrying. As long as they rip the combat out and leave the rest of it intact I'll be happy. I'm just worried they'll turn it third person or something equally stupid.

Does the PC version support gamepads? I can't imagine playing it with a keyboard. Mouse would be fine but it's such a movement focused game I'd just prefer to stick to a pad.

Ramenman

And combat was fiiiinnee, you people were just playing it wrong. Or being whiny.

Rindain said:
Awesome news.

But PLEASE put REAL MIRRORS in the game this time! I want to se myelf scaling buildings like in the concept art.

They'll probably do that if they have a convincing 3D model and animations. If it's just laughably uncanny or something I understand they don't let you do "like the concept art".
Just because compared to the concept art, it would be a joke.

ItsInMyVeins said:
ME has sold over a million copies though, right?

It was a wounded crawl to that number, but Mirror's Edge as well as Dead Space sold over 1m units. So, we'll be hearing non-Extraction Dead Space news soon, I'd bet.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
freethought said:
Does the PC version support gamepads? I can't imagine playing it with a keyboard. Mouse would be fine but it's such a movement focused game I'd just prefer to stick to a pad.

Yes it does, but believe me, mouse and keyboard is the way to go for this game.

I'm not sure what to think of Mirror's Edge 2. The original had some good ideas but I found it ultimately boring. With a little improvement I might actually have fun with a sequel.

Toughest and most rewarding Platinum for me yet. What a fucking great game.

I'm kinda glad it's a small team working on the sequel. I'm of the mind that the series doesn't need a lot of refining, graphically or in the gameplay department. I just want more levels.

pringles

Yaaay! One of my favorite games of this generation, but also a game that I think had some issues and really needs and deserves a sequel.

eznark said:
No combat please (this game on the PC with damage off was perfect).
I don't mind some combat. But they need to make it a little less frustrating, and obviously it should always be possible to get through situations without using guns.

Oh, and I want more stuff like the Atrium. Sections where the game slows down and it's just about platforming.

Apocryphon

I wouldn't have minded if they'd made it 3rd person... just as long as it didn't bear any resemblance to the 3rd person hack for the PC version of the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv7MnV1SrZg

If the animations looked as good as those shown in the leaked trailer for BG&E 2 then a 3rd person platformer in the Mirrors Edge could have been awesome.

It's staying 1st person though... which is a shame. Still, the first game was a blast and DICE know what they're doing so there's no reason to fear that they won't pull through.

Woffls

Hooraayyy!!! First one had so much potential but was shafted by poor design choices and poor balance.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
THE GAME WOULD BE RUINED IN THIRD PERSON

kjnkcjnkjnKJNJKNJKnJKNkjbGHFCgrdcV

;)

Ramenman

A huge part of the awesomeness of the first game was the first person, of course. Who the hell would want it in third person after having played the first ME.

itsinmyveins

Rez said:

;)

This. The whole point of ME is that it's a platformer in first person view. If I wanted it in third person I'd just play Prince of Persia.

Ramenman

Basically :

Rez said:

;)

Thank you.

Woffls said:
Hooraayyy!!! First one had so much potential but was shafted by poor design choices and poor balance.

You have poor balance.

The point of Mirror's Edge is making you feel weak because the main character obviously is. It's not Crackdown.
You just have to be careful.

pringles

Rez said:

;)
Seriously.
Mirror's Edge being first-person is the key to what makes it great. Making it 3rd person would require a complete redesign and change of the gameplay.

It's like asking for Super Mario Galaxy 2 to be first-person.

Ramenman said:
The point of Mirror's Edge is making you feel weak because the main character obviously is. It's not Crackdown.
And/Or fast.

Majik said:
I wouldn't have minded if they'd made it 3rd person... just as long as it didn't bear any resemblance to the 3rd person hack for the PC version of the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv7MnV1SrZg

If the animations looked as good as those shown in the leaked trailer for BG&E 2 then a 3rd person platformer in the Mirrors Edge could have been awesome.

It's staying 1st person though... which is a shame. Still, the first game was a blast and DICE know what they're doing so there's no reason to fear that they won't pull through.
NOPE! FPS is the way to go, just play Tomb Raider or Assassins Creed instead!

Ysiadmihi said:
Yes it does, but believe me, mouse and keyboard is the way to go for this game.

I'm not sure what to think of Mirror's Edge 2. The original had some good ideas but I found it ultimately boring. With a little improvement I might actually have fun with a sequel.

How are the controls set up? The location of crouch and jump are the greatest concern. Is the quick turn still in there, more importantly is it even necessary?

I never have a problem with function on a keyboard, but I rarely find it intuitive or comfortable. Still, I'm usually more than willing to endure because of the mouse, but with ME's combat being entirely secondary it doesn't strike me as necessary.

Ramenman said:
You have poor balance.

uhm: solving the last few levels without shooting is a PAIN! Especially the server room :(

snacknuts

we all knew her
I finally got around to playing/finishing the original over the past week. This is good news, I loved the game.

Larson Conway said:
Who's diggin Mirror's Natal Edge?

My fear is that this is going to be a Wii only game, a la Dead Space Extraction. Probably won't happen though, I'm pretty sure EA has said there's a separate Dead Space 2 in development, hopefully that's a 360/PS3 game.

Mirror's Edge Natal could finally be the catalyst to get me in shape :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Yes. PC version + 360 gamepad was the most fun I had with a videogame in a long time!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
freethought said:
How are the controls set up? The location of crouch and jump are the greatest concern. Is the quick turn still in there, more importantly is it even necessary?

I never have a problem with function on a keyboard, but I rarely find it intuitive or comfortable. Still, I'm usually more than willing to endure because of the mouse, but with ME's combat being entirely secondary it doesn't strike me as necessary.

I don't remember the keys offhand, but the setup is very intuitive. I'm pretty sure the keys are customizable too. The quick turn is there but as you seem to have guessed, it's not exactly necessary since you would have mouse look.

The game felt sluggish for me when I tried to go back to the 360 pad so I stuck with the m/kb. If you're really that worried about it, why not just try both setups :D

Rindain

Banned
Ramenman said:
They'll probably do that if they have a convincing 3D model and animations. If it's just laughably uncanny or something I understand they don't let you do "like the concept art".
Just because compared to the concept art, it would be a joke.

They should put a lot of effort into making great character models / animation for the sequel.

You know how cool it was to see Samus' face reflected in her visor in the Metroid Prime games?

This could be like that, but much cooler.

Imagine this brought to life (click for huge 3993 X 4288 version):

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not defending the combat, I'd like to see it scrapped in the sequel, but are you guys who are passionately calling for its removal the ones who tried to play through without shooting a gun?

I did that on my first run-through and got VERY frustrated, as some of the levels were clearly balanced with gun-play in mind. However, when I played through again on Hard and actually used guns, I had no issues with the combat, because it was incredibly easy.

Saying that ME's biggest issue was the combat is still valid (as the DLC was proved, pure platforming = bliss), but I think a lot more of you wouldn't have been as passionately against it if there wasn't that achievement hanging over your heads forcing you to play the game the way it wasn't actually intended to be played.

itsinmyveins

Rez said:
I'm not defending the combat, I'd like to see it scrapped in the sequel, but are you guys who are passionately calling for its removal the ones who tried to play through without shooting a gun?

I did that on my first run-through and got VERY frustrated, as some of the levels were clearly balanced with gun-play in mind. However, when I played through again on Hard and actually used guns, I had no issues with the combat, because it was incredibly easy.

Saying that ME's biggest issue was the combat is still valid (as the DLC was proved, pure platforming = bliss), but I think a lot more of you wouldn't have been as passionately against it if there wasn't that achievement hanging over your heads.

Yes, agreed.

Top Bottom