• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Mirror's Edge 2 Is In Development

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority on this one, but I didn't play Mirror's Edge for the time trials -- I really liked the main game. I agree that the combat aspect of the game was sloppy and felt bolted on, but I wouldn't want to see enemies completely disappear...the experience of frantically running towards an exit while being shot at was very exhilarating for me.

If they can find a way to keep the core concepts the same while cutting down a little on the frustration of both being shot at too often and not always knowing where to go/what to do, I think the sequel could be fantastic.

Nizz

I'm happy this game is getting a sequel. I have still yet to play the first game (shame on me) but it's cool to see EA continue with this new IP.

Hopefully they take some cues on issues people may have had with part one and correct/improve on them in the sequel.

badcrumble said:
I think it's a perfectly fair comparison. There were plenty of parts in Mirror's Edge where it really felt like a Valve game to me - though much of it was in the darker underground sections that felt very HL1ish (and HL1 certainly had some platforming-heavy segments), the iPod-esque color scheme and the emphasis on traversal was strongly reminiscent of Portal to me even if the actual gameplay was wildly different. Also they used a few of the same sound effects, if I recall correctly.
Well then I would say that they are close enough as it is and Mirror's Edge doesn't need to be more like portal. Except in the sense that yes better characters and story would be very welcome, they are the most memorable things about portal. Although personally I enjoy the gameplay in Mirror's Edge much more.

human5892 said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority on this one
I think you are crazy for thinking that. I am sure a lot of people liked the chase scenes since it adds tension and makes it even more thrilling to get through the level as fast as you can. Its just that some people enjoy simply trying to get through as quickly as they can because its fun for them and adding enemies to it just gets in the way of that.

human5892 said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority on this one, but I didn't play Mirror's Edge for the time trials -- I really liked the main game. I agree that the combat aspect of the game was sloppy and felt bolted on, but I wouldn't want to see enemies completely disappear...the experience of frantically running towards an exit while being shot at was very exhilarating for me.

If they can find a way to keep the core concepts the same while cutting down a little on the frustration of both being shot at too often and not always knowing where to go/what to do, I think the sequel could be fantastic.
Same here, while I was playing I was going for the 'no gun' achievement but failed at the big hall where you run down the stairs for two floors or something. Without shooting it was way more awesome btw.

human5892 said:

Yep, I loved the main campaign and hated the time trials. I just don't find them very fun at all, I really have no purpose but to make it through the level at a faster time, and to me, that's just not fun. I want a story objective or something else that makes me want to get from point A to B. Time trials can be fun, but most of the time I see no point in them at all.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
IMHO, Mirror's Edge should go with the idea that Faith is a regular person who doesn't want to hurt or kill anyone and thus focuses on disarming.

I know that a lot of people whined that they couldn't go around gunning people down because "the player should be allowed to play how he wants!" Which in a lot of instances boiled down to someone who just wants every game to be Halo and Call of Duty. Unfortunately what may work against Mirror's Edge is the fact that the first person shooter has become so stereotyped, most people believe anything with a first person camera view should essentially be like, one of two games and that's it.

My own suggested changes for ME2 would be to create a sandbox city for people to wander around and practice parkour in all they liked with instanced missions locking you into a linear, tightly focused platforming run like the levels of the first game. The time trials could be focused on replaying those runs for better performance. And make the combat more friendly, but just focus on the fact that Faith is non-violent and refuses to kill. More people might grasp the game if you /don't/ give them the choice to try and shoot someone. (As I saw it, the gunplay in ME was something of a fail state. If you were incapable of escaping the right way, you could awkwardly try to shoot someone, and it was clear Faith wasn't a soldier or good at run n' gun.)

crispyben said:
Very interesting read, especially the comments about pushing either the FPS or the free-running aspect of the game. I hope for #2.
Turning it into more of a FPS would kill this game. The platforming, the speed and the running are what make Mirrors Edge what it is. Please dont turn a fun innovative game like ME into another COD clone in hopes of COD sales.

Kaijima said:
My own suggested changes for ME2 would be to create a sandbox city for people to wander around and practice parkour in all they liked with instanced missions locking you into a linear, tightly focused platforming run like the levels of the first game. The time trials could be focused on replaying those runs for better performance. And make the combat more friendly, but just focus on the fact that Faith is non-violent and refuses to kill. More people might grasp the game if you /don't/ give them the choice to try and shoot someone. (As I saw it, the gunplay in ME was something of a fail state. If you were incapable of escaping the right way, you could awkwardly try to shoot someone, and it was clear Faith wasn't a soldier or good at run n' gun.)
This would also be wicked awesome (and worked pretty damn well in inFamous, by the way, as far as creating an open-world platformer is concerned - although I'd still want large interior and/or underground areas for specific missions). Given a proper budget, what I'd LOVE to see would be a normally textured white city that transitions in and out of runner vision as needed.

badcrumble said:
This would also be wicked awesome (and worked pretty damn well in inFamous, by the way, as far as creating an open-world platformer is concerned - although I'd still want large interior and/or underground areas for specific missions). Given a proper budget, what I'd LOVE to see would be a normally textured white city that transitions in and out of runner vision as needed.

Yup! I hope EA has their designers reading these forums and/or has already come up with this type of play. I personally didn't mind the story and didn't dislike the gun fighting. However, what I yearned for the original and desire for the sequel is to have freedom around the city. As others have said, to truly have the parkour characteristic become the center of the game.

MoFuzz

So, from the text, I almost want to believe that John Riccitiello actually played this game. Assuming that is true, that would amount to much kudos from me. I don't know how many other bigshot execs actually play their games. I mean, by contrast, I don't think Bobby Kotick could find the thumbsticks on an analog pad.

Also, I'm not sure how popular a first person platforming game with racing game elements will ever be, but I much prefer that over "just another FPS". They will have a tough time riding the balance between accessability and innovation for sure.

Kaijima said:
My own suggested changes for ME2 would be to create a sandbox city for people to wander around and practice parkour in all they liked with instanced missions locking you into a linear, tightly focused platforming run like the levels of the first game.
This is what I think I want as well. Either that or turn it into an mmo with one big metropolis and a whole bunch of people running around all over the place.

I don't actually want it to be an mmo

Top Bottom