• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Mirror's Edge 2 Is In Development

I did the achievement for not shooting my gun in my first run because I figured that's how DICE intended the game to be played before some focus testing added gunplay. Oh boy was that a mistake.

As a result, I wouldn't do that again for ME2, but I really hope they scale back the combat. It's just now what I want from a game that does platforming so well.

... I should go back and do a second run of the original using guns, really. The experience did leave a bitter taste in my mouth and as Rez said earlier on, it is mostly my own fault.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I did the achievement for not shooting my gun in my first run because I figured that's how DICE intended the game to be played before some focus testing added gunplay. Oh boy was that a mistake.
Dice did intend for the game to be played that way. It was a mistake to play like that through the game for the first time. Once you get used to the game its actually pretty easy to get through it without using guns or even fighting anyone.

Dartastic

TheCardPlayer said:
The first tanked critically and financially? A sequel is pretty much a miracle. But I'm glad they are making it. It should have sold way, way more. Such an amazing game.

It's an original IP that was very well received critically, has a rabid fanbase, and it "...has sold better than most people think." The majority of the work is already done in regards to play mechanics, art style, etc., so it's not like they have to waste much time with work on that. If that's not good reasoning to make a sequel that addresses the problems that the first title had I don't know what is.

Anyway, I'm super stoked; ME is one of my favorite games of this generation. :D

vazel

Banned
I played the game the first time without shooting anyone. Why would you shoot anyone in a game like this you're obviously not meant to. Some parts may give you trouble but just replay those parts as many times as you have to like I did. Gamers these days expect everything to be easy...

Lostconfused said:
Dice did intend for the game to be played that way. It was a mistake to play like that through the game for the first time. Once you get used to the game its actually pretty easy to get through it without using guns or even fighting anyone.
I did okay most of the time but some of those later rooms with 6+ enemies? -_-

The only thing I want in Mirror's Edge 2 is to have all of the cinematics done in-game in first person perspective rather than some lame vector based animation. The non-interactive sequences would have more impact if you experienced all of the events through Faith's eyes. Mirror's Edge looks so fucking beautiful and those flash NIS's look like...flash. Why do that? Half of the NIS's were done in-game, why not all of them?

That's the only thing I really can complain about in Mirror's Edge. Loved the game on console, loving it even more on PC.

Ventrue

I think Dice intended you to at some stage use those guns, and that they didn't just add them in for the hell of it? They're not a central focus and you can skip them in many places, but I think that ignoring the option of quickly picking up a gun and firing off a few shots is a mistake.

jaundicejuice said:
The only thing I want in Mirror's Edge 2 is to have all of the cinematics done in-game in first person perspective rather than some lame vector based animation. The non-interactive sequences would have more impact if you experienced all of the events through Faith's eyes. Mirror's Edge looks so fucking beautiful and those flash NIS's look like...flash. Why do that? Half of the NIS's were done in-game, why not all of them?

That's the only thing I really can complain about in Mirror's Edge. Loved the game on console, loving it even more on PC.
I have to agree. Apparently, the reason was that Dice did not have enough animators to do all the cutscenes in-engine, and hence outsourced them for 2D animation. Hopefully they have enough animations already for the gameplay that the sequel will allow them to do all the cutscenes in-engine.

TheYanger

SolidSnakex said:
Removing combat from ME would be disastrous. It's part of what made the game so great. It caused you'd to think quickly about where you needed to go next. Yes it took the exploration out of the game, but you can explore whenever you go into the time trials if that's what you want to do.

I think your definition of combat is different from everyone else's in this thread. Getting chased by the cops = good, frantic sense of urgency and rewards quick thinking.
Combat where you have to stop and fight stuff in a terrible half-assed FPS setup = bad.

IE: The end of the Kate level, and the server room. Sure you CAN bypass these parts without combat, but they're clearly designed for the non-expert player to have to stop and fight, and they're simply not fun. really, any part of the game where enemies are in front fo you and there's not a lot of options to go around them you can consider a 'forced combat' situation to most players. I also did Test of Faith my first time through the game, I was glad I did it but come the last two chapters I was regretting it pretty badly.

Brashnir

Didn't care for the game personally, but I'm glad to see it did well enough to get a sequel. I was worried all of EA's new IPs would tank and we'd be back to nothing but annual sports updates from them. Hopefully they'll be encouraged to try more new things in the future.

Dartastic

TheYanger said:
I think your definition of combat is different from everyone else's in this thread. Getting chased by the cops = good, frantic sense of urgency and rewards quick thinking.
Combat where you have to stop and fight stuff in a terrible half-assed FPS setup = bad.

IE: The end of the Kate level, and the server room. Sure you CAN bypass these parts without combat, but they're clearly designed for the non-expert player to have to stop and fight, and they're simply not fun.

The problem lies in the fact that, well, what are you SUPPOSED to do when the cops catch up with you? Keep running around? You have to have some sort of way to fight back that way you don't get immediately killed.

...I can beat the server room by only disarming one guard in around 30 seconds. =p

Ventrue said:
I think Dice intended you to at some stage use those guns, and that they didn't just add them in for the hell of it? They're not a central focus and you can skip them in many places, but I think that ignoring the option of quickly picking up a gun and firing off a few shots is a mistake.
No of course not. You are clearly meant to use those guns to shoot out a window or some glass so you can get through the level faster without shooting anyone.

Edit: Hahaha beaten.
Dartastic said:
...I can beat the server room by only disarming one guard in around 30 seconds. =p
Wow yeah server room is incredibly easy. Takes 30 seconds to clear if you know what you are doing.

I just spent a few minutes trying to figure that room out. So I had to look up a video, i totally missed that one spot where you spring board onto the cat walk right next to him.

Also that is why people are saying combat needs to be changed up. Because it isn't fun when you spend several minutes fighting cops.

kadotsu

Banned
Yes!

My wishlist:
-Use Frostbite. I want to run out of a collapsing building.
-Substitute gun with melee combat (or just get rid of the black armored guys)

Dartastic

Lostconfused said:
Also that is why people are saying combat needs to be changed up. Because it isn't fun when you spend several minutes fighting cops.

From what I've seen, people are mostly interested in removing the combat all together and that would be a huge problem due to the fact that in order to keep that tense feeling you have to be able to have people pursuing you. It'd be stupid to not let the player defend themselves if they got caught in a room with a cop, it'd be stupid to auto-kill the player, and it'd be stupid to not have cops. So what do you do? Implement a bare-bones combat system, like in the first title. I agree that the fighting could be spiced up a bit, but the full removal of a combat system which is essential to maintaining the atmosphere isn't a good idea.

TheYanger

Are you reading the complaints? FORCED combat is what people don't want, nobody cares about what happens if the cops chase you, if it's auto game over I doubt most people would give a crap, if you can fight back in some assy barebones style...sure whatever, the idea is to NOT get caught in the first place.

That's like complaining that if you let the goomba run into you in Mario you should have some kind of emergency bypass procedure available to restart his heart. There's nothing wrong with having a way to fail in a game. Mirror's Edge has plenty of them already.

kadotsu said:
Yes!

My wishlist:
-Substitute gun with melee combat (or just get rid of the black armored guys)
OH MY GOD.

OH MY GOD.

OH MY GOD.

DO THIS.

TheCardPlayer said:
The first tanked critically and financially? A sequel is pretty much a miracle. But I'm glad they are making it. It should have sold way, way more. Such an amazing game.

To put the stake in the grave, we know that in 2008 Mirrors Edge sold more than 1 million units. So thus the game didnt tank..., since EA also touts the "number of million sellers" they create each year line.

Dedication Through Light said:
To put the stake in the grave, we know that in 2008 Mirrors Edge sold more than 1 million units. So thus the game didnt tank..., since EA also touts the "number of million sellers" they create each year line.

Yeah, but how many of those million copies sold were at a price higher than $19.99?

The first Mirror's Edge was discounted super fast, and who's to say if it was actually a financial success to EA because of it?

Firestorm

CartridgeBlower said:
Yeah, but how many of those million copies sold were at a price higher than $19.99?

The first Mirror's Edge was discounted super fast, and who's to say if it was actually a financial success to EA because of it?
$20,000,000 in revenue. Oh noes. Let's see what a $60 game that sells 100,000 is? $6,000,000. I'm sure they're better off than the tons of bombs we see every month.

Retro

Incoming lawsuit from Tim Langdell in 5... 4... 3... :lol

That said, I missed the original when it first came out (lack of funds), but the demo blew me away with it's potential. I've got it on my Gamefly queue, but I may have to bump it since it's fresh in my memory.

Either way, this game struck me as something I'd like to see more of in gaming, despite not having a chance to really play it. So, good news all around.

Firestorm said:
$20,000,000 in revenue. Oh noes. Let's see what a $60 game that sells 100,000 is? $6,000,000. I'm sure they're better off than the tons of bombs we see every month.

Oookay. The game could make 200 million dollars, but if it cost 210 million to make, it wasn't a success. What are you, five years old?

Firestorm

CartridgeBlower said:
Oookay. The game could make 200 million dollars, but if it cost 210 million to make, it wasn't a success. What are you, five years old?
WOW THAT THOUGHT NEVER CAME TO MY MIND THANKS FOR POINTING IT OUT!

Koshiro

2cidwjo.jpg

DR2K

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:

Considering EA announced the million before it hit officially hit $19.99, I'd say a lot. Nice try though.It's a new IP successful enough to warrant a squeal that's really all you need to know.

JWong

Banned
I thought Riccitiello already confirmed this way back when he said that EA wouldn't drop Mirror's Edge because of its sales. New IPs are important to them.

Actually, he's doing it to piss off Tim Langdell

Thank fuck!

This was my GOTY this year (I was LTTP) and I had literally all fingers-crossed they'd sequel this up. One of the few games I really enjoyed actually playing all the way through.

I will say that 2nd time through is the best. I did my Hard/Test of Faith run and it was hard but I felt I had the skillset to do it. My proudest platinum.

Did anyone get that questionnaire about what we liked in ME1 and what we'd like to see in ME2?

Also only cool people see ME writing down and think Mirror's Edge not Mass Effect.

Why is this surprising you guys? They've mentioned already that Mirrors Edge is going to have three parts, if I remember correctly...

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Mailenstein said:
Why is this surprising you guys? They've mentioned already that Mirrors Edge is going to have three parts, if I remember correctly...

Yeah, well, unless the first one sells a decent amount I doubt they'd make a second one, even if they've said they planned three from the get go. But it seems like the game's managed to sell a good amount and that makes me happy. Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games from the last two years or whenever it came out, even with all the infuriating shit that occurs at times when fighting off a load of enemies and such.

KevinCow

Banned
Mailenstein said:

Because performing less than expected at retail has never killed off sequels that are intended. That's why we're all playing Shenmue 3 and BG&E 2 and 3 right now.

Playing Mirror's Edge was a breath of fresh air, annoying in parts, but a very rewarding experience. Fix the combat and have more of the free flowing sections (like on the roof tops) and they'd be onto a winner.

i bought the original twice and now i might actually finish it to be ready for the sequel.

i originally gave up at the part where Faith is in the VAN at the beginning and you jump out and there's a bunch of guys with guns in an environment that could be right out of any FPS.

the gun play just needs to be tighter. disarming is fine. no reloading is fine. slower movement and limited free running abilities is fine. it's just the actual aiming and shooting feels really off and that's kind of surprising from Dice.

keep the amazing lighting and art design though.

KevinCow said:
Because performing less than expected at retail has never killed off sequels that are intended. That's why we're all playing Shenmue 3 and BG&E 2 and 3 right now.
Stop comparing Mirrors Edge with boring games.

I really need to get the DLC. A great game and absolutely beautiful, but it's so short.

One thing that really fell flat was the story. It was practically an afterthought with the vector cutscenes and no real depth. An interesting premise and world, but I couldn't care about it or its characters.

I didn't like the original (after several frustrating minutes near the end of trying to jump off a wall and catch something that Faith refused to catch), but I'd be willing to try a sequel.

RJT

I'm sad no one is mentioning better online modes as a must...

A few suggestions:
-Multiplayer time trails (a la TrackMania)
-Marathon mode (long tracks with PvP interactions and multiple paths)
-Team time trials for clan matches (e.g. 4 x 100m relay)

I would play this game endlessly...

Prine

Banned
Yeah, i didn't like the game all that much but know it has huge potential. Im interested in the sequel.

I want the game to be smoother and momentum to follow through more convincingly. It didnt feel like i was running that fast when i hit top speed. Sliding down a roof felt so slow with lots of effects to make it seem like im moving at high speed. Didnt work.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
EmCeeGramr said:
I really need to get the DLC. A great game and absolutely beautiful, but it's so short.

One thing that really fell flat was the story. It was practically an afterthought with the vector cutscenes and no real depth. An interesting premise and world, but I couldn't care about it or its characters.

Pretty much. But the fact that it is so short makes it more accessible (for me, at least) to go back and replay. The second time through is even better since you've got an idea of what's coming and it's easier to chain the jumps, climbs and whatnot together. You get a better flow.

I do think the main character looks good in context of the world though, even if the story/personality of everything there is pretty bland and forgettable.

Dabanton said:
I'm sorry could you repeat that?
As for me Beyond Good & Evil was boring; it just didn't suit me. And seriously, beside the graphics and FREE gameplay element Shen-mue wasn't anything special. You may believe it or not, but there are ppl out there that dislike Super Mario games. Sorry if I crushed your world.

Kunan

Caesar III said:
uhm: solving the last few levels without shooting is a PAIN! Especially the server room :(
It's difficult but achievable. I found that area easier than a few times where they threw 3 armored guys at you at once who stood eight next to eachother so you had to spend eons trying to split them up

Also, guns make no sense to the story. If you're trying to rescue your sister and prove her innocence, it doesn't help things to go around murdering everyone. Plus you're supposed to be scared and running as a runner, not a soldier. I found the game much more intense using no guns

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
kadotsu said:

Problem with that is that Frostbite sucks for destruction unless you use strong explosives. It's good for Battlefield, but it wouldn't be substantial except for a few action sequences in ME2.

Frankly, stick with UE3 (as much as I hate it and am an iD engine fanboy) and just streamline the platforming. 9/10 of the time I died was because Faith wasn't magnetic/self-survivable. I was close to an edge, but not super-close. Faith could've grabbed the ledge with her arms, meanwhile.

And make disarming less frustrating. Half the time I mash triangle, but because the damn gun isn't red. I can't disarm the dude and this is while he's starting to melee, really?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
my ME1 feelings:

story - bad
cutscenes - bad
trail and error - bad
qte - bad
checkpoints -bad
fighting - bad
idea - good

if they change that all it would be a good game.

// this is my oppinion, relax //

Top Bottom