• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Mirror's Edge 2 Is In Development

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
TheSeks said:
And make disarming less frustrating. Half the time I mash triangle, but because the damn gun isn't red. I can't disarm the dude and this is while he's starting to melee, really?

the game gives you an easy color prompt that you ignore, and then you complain about not being able to disarm properly?

swamplord666

Neo Member
I was really hoping they would continue with ME. It had one of the(if not the) best concept and art direction of 2008 and i was disappointed that it so many issues. With a few design changes and whatnot this could turn into a brilliant game!:D

CartridgeBlower said:
Yeah, but how many of those million copies sold were at a price higher than $19.99?

The first Mirror's Edge was discounted super fast, and who's to say if it was actually a financial success to EA because of it?

Super fast, the game came out in 2008 and it was announced in like February that it hit 1 Million, long before the game reached its current 19.99 price point. We can assume that it also did not cost them that much to make, and seeing how so few games actually ever reach a million units sold, Im quite sure this game does not embody the definition of "tanking financially" nor does it receiving "mostly positive reviews" embody "tanking critically".

But anyway, its EA and they kept prolonging the NFS series, so I guess ME just needed around 500,000 copies to get a sequel :p

gcubed

sankt-Antonio said:
my ME1 feelings:

story - bad
cutscenes - bad
trail and error - bad
qte - bad
checkpoints -bad
fighting - bad
idea - good

if they change that all it would be a good game.

// this is my oppinion, relax //

this is basically my opinion also, but i'd be willing to give ME2 a try solely because of the "idea - good"

RJT

There are qte in Mirror's Edge? I'm spending so many hours getting 3 stars on every course, I haven't seen them yet...

I don't recall any QTEs in ME either. And if your going through the game by trial and error then you're doing it wrong... Once you have all the move sets memorized you just need the skill to use them properly. There's TONS of ways to get past most of the levels.

RJT said:
There are qte in Mirror's Edge? I'm spending so many hours getting 3 stars on every course, I haven't seen them yet...

It's possible the
run in you have with Ropeburn
could be regarded as a QTE. Only one I can think of though.

GWX

Metalmurphy said:
I don't recall any QTEs in ME either. And if your going through the game by trial and error then you're doing it wrong... Once you have all the move sets memorized you just need the skill to use them properly. There's TONS of ways to get past most of the levels.

Indeed. I was hesitant of buying it earlier this year when impressions and reviews stated the "trial and error" thing. No way. The gameplay is fluid once you get hang of it and it depends of skill, not of luck.
I'm really excited for Mirror's Edge 2, just hoping it still will be very well optimized on PC (the best running UE3 game that I've played here) :)

EDIT:
crispyben said:

Why? Mirror's Edge 2D, the browser-based game from the creator of Fancy Pants Adventures looked MUCH better.

oracrest

EA said:
EA Confirms Mirror's Edge 2 Is In Development

"No, it isn't"

langdell.jpg

I don't see what's trial and error about ME. The controls are very precise and you even have runners vision (assuming you don't turn it off) to help you through the levels. It's one of those games where if you die then it's your fault.

datamage

Those complaining about trial and error, just don't understand the game. I never had to experiment with what I had to do or where I had to go. Whenever I screwed up, it was my fault, not the game's.

Agreed that the story could use a makeover though, and for the most part, I didn't have too much of a problem with combat, though it could certainly be tweaked.

Can't wait to see what ME2 has in store, and I hope the PC version releases at the same time as the console versions. Wishful thinking?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
datamage said:
Those complaining about trial and error, just don't understand the game. I never had to experiment with what I had to do or where I had to go. Whenever I screwed up, it was my fault, not the game's.

Eh, the game is clearly stacked highly against the player at times. Of course I control the character, but when two snipers hit me simultaneously in the air while jumping past an opening ending in me dying instantely I'm gonna think that's quite cheap. Being dropped in a room with several armed enemies and no knowledge of where to go isn't exactly easy either. There's definitely some partws of the game that comes of as nearly trial and error.

Johann

Dedication Through Light said:
Super fast, the game came out in 2008 and it was announced in like February that it hit 1 Million, long before the game reached its current 19.99 price point. We can assume that it also did not cost them that much to make, and seeing how so few games actually ever reach a million units sold, Im quite sure this game does not embody the definition of "tanking financially" nor does it receiving "mostly positive reviews" embody "tanking critically".

But anyway, its EA and they kept prolonging the NFS series, so I guess ME just needed around 500,000 copies to get a sequel :p

Marketing Director for DICE said:
"I would look for world-wide sales of over 3 million, on three platforms," Frain tells Edge, adding, "as a conservative number. I think it has the potential to do a lot more than that."
http://www.edge-online.com/news/mirrors-edge-projects-3m-sales

Not bad, Mirror's Edge only underperformed EA's conservative projections by a mere 2 million. It's crazy for anyone to think a first-person platformer would sell anywhere near that these days but EA must have thought they had a surefire hit on their hands with Mirror's Edge. They kept linking Dead Space and Mirror's Edge to the huge success of recent new IPs, such as Bioshock and Assassin's Creed. They had a huge loss that year and were very dependent on the runaway success of their new IPs. I don't think the game cost that much to develop and market but they needed a successful first entry for the sequels to leapfrog on. It's going to be very difficult to get new people to play the sequel if people were burned on the original or never even played it.

While EA thinks Dead Space was a matter of bad timing, they believe Mirror's Edge suffered from design issues. I'd like to think they'll address some frustrating gameplay (like Assassin's Creed 2) but I wouldn't be surprised if we see the sequel go an action heavy route with a bigger emphasis on gunplay rather than evasion.

The first game was fun, but the cramped office sections were just too much of a pain in the ass that broke up the pace with all those officers and their twitchy trigger fingers. It felt like a guessing game where to go and everything had to be specific. Go to the wrong door or elevator and it's game over. The most fun I had was on the rooftops, where I could just run, explore, and had some space to screw around.

jrricky

Banned
Yuck! Restructure the whole game (that is, make the game more fun than frustrating) and I might(since once I am burned on the first entry in an IP, I rarely go back to sequels, see AC2) take another look.

RJT said:
Off the top of my head, the "boss fight" against the wrestler was definitely a poorly done QTE.

onken

I love the combat as it is, it was fun and satisfying (maybe make the disarm window a bit more generous).

If you're even thinking the words "third person" then please shoot yourself in the face.

More of the same please Dice, just make the campaign longer :)

ShockingAlberto said:
Off the top of my head, the "boss fight" against the wrestler was definitely a poorly done QTE.

Yeah you have to press triangle once, such a pain in the ass. I want my money back.

webrunner

datamage said:

Agreed that the story could use a makeover though, and for the most part, I didn't have too much of a problem with combat, though it could certainly be tweaked.

Can't wait to see what ME2 has in store, and I hope the PC version releases at the same time as the console versions. Wishful thinking?

There are a few roofs well within jumping range that look like the way to go but count as instant-death-due-to-fall

Johann said:
http://www.edge-online.com/news/mirrors-edge-projects-3m-sales

Not bad, Mirror's Edge only underperformed EA's conservative projections by a mere 2 million. It's crazy for anyone to think a first-person platformer would sell anywhere near that these days but EA must have thought they had a surefire hit on their hands with Mirror's Edge. They kept linking Dead Space and Mirror's Edge to the huge success of recent new IPs, such as Bioshock and Assassin's Creed. They had a huge loss that year and were very dependent on the runaway success of their new IPs. I don't think the game cost that much to develop and market but they needed a successful first entry for the sequels to leapfrog on. It's going to be very difficult to get new people to play the sequel if people were burned on the original or never even played it.

While EA thinks Dead Space was a matter of bad timing, they believe Mirror's Edge suffered from design issues. I'd like to think they'll address some frustrating gameplay (like Assassin's Creed 2) but I wouldn't be surprised if we see the sequel go an action heavy route with a bigger emphasis on gunplay rather than evasion.

The only thing they need to change I guess, well the first game seemed like a huge concept design anyway (a well put together one)

1. Some Multiplayer
2. Lengthier Story
3. Better Presentation Style of the Story

Rindain said:
Awesome news.

But PLEASE put REAL MIRRORS in the game this time! I want to se myelf scaling buildings like in the concept art.

Oh, and in-engine cutscenes too.

This would be a bad idea. I saw 3rd person videos of the game (hack?) and she doesn't look good. Especially since her limb movements are exaggerated to look better in first person. Seen in 3rd person, she looks awkward. This would all be apparent with mirrors in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3VnWYt9flM

AshMcCool

chun li's thighs said:
This would be a bad idea. I saw 3rd person videos of the game (hack?) and she doesn't look good. Especially since her limb movements are exaggerated to look better in first person. Seen in 3rd person, she looks awkward. This would all be apparent with mirrors in the game.

Than maybe they should make her model better? Can't be that there isn't a way to make it work both in 3rd-Person and 1st-Person. C'mon you can't name a game Mirrors Edge without one fucking single mirror. That, the short lenght and the ugly cutscenes were my only complains about the first game.

epmode

Mirror's Edge threads are rad because they're always a good reference point. For example:
painey said:
I never even finished ME1.. i got to a bit where I had to do combat and gave up
If it wasn't for this thread, I would see the Grim Fandango + Guybrush Threepwood avatar and assume that this poster knows what he's talking about. Now I know better!

Thanks, OP!

gerg

Johann said:

Regression to the mean...?

Ugh.

Ferrio

Banned
Multiplayer would be awesome if they could work out the 3rd person view animation .

Have no guns, just a foot race among different players. Have a map, which has bunch of different waypoints. When the map starts it picks 5 waypoints from the pool and their order. Players then race to each point. Since each race would be random you couldn't really have the best route always picked, you'd have to know all the little intricacies of the map.

RedSwirl

While I'm glad this is actually confirmed, I'm also afraid that EA could casual-ify the sequel.

A lot of people got burned on how surprisingly hardcore Mirror's Edge was. What I liked about that game was that it didn't hold your hand at all as opposed to the recent Prince of Persia. EA could very well compromise that to make it more accessible. I just hope they keep it accessible in the right way.

ME1's controls are incredibly simple if you've played FPSs but the game's system left a lot of room for skill and so few games do it that elegantly. I even liked the core system of the combat even if it wasn't implemented in the best way.

People have been able to get through Mirror's Edge without engaging in combat at all. EA just needs to make it easier to do that in the second game.

Blizzard

Banned
RedSwirl said:
People have been able to get through Mirror's Edge without engaging in combat at all. EA just needs to make it easier to do that in the second game.
I should look up a speedrun, then. Was this on hard, normal, or easy? How do you do that on Heat with the three guards and the pipes (I suspect if you're lucky you just nearly die while climbing)? How do you do it with the parking garage and the really slowly-turning valves next to the super-machine gun guard? :D

Question on ME for anyone that beat it.

Near the end of the game in the server room you have 4 roaming guards and 1 stationary guard with the M60. I can take out the 4 guards but I'm having trouble w/ the M60 guard. Trouble = like 8 deaths. I'm trying for the no gun trophy but I can't get anywhere near him without him killing me, advice?

demosthenes said:

Near the end of the game in the server room you have 4 roaming guards and 1 stationary guard with the M60. I can take out the 4 guards but I'm having trouble w/ the M60 guard. Trouble = like 8 deaths. I'm trying for the no gun trophy but I can't get anywhere near him without him killing me, advice?
Look up a video for a speed run of the room. I had the same issue and it helped me. Your problem is that you didn't notice that there is a spot from where you can jump up right next to him. I am pretty sure this is the only way you can actually get close to him because otherwise he just kills you before you get to him.

Blizzard

Banned
demosthenes said:

I'm pretty sure I actually did it by
running/sliding along the catwalk towards him after taking out everyone else
, but I did that on normal. I'll have to check about the
jumping spot
I apparently didn't know about.

chun li's thighs said:

That's...weird. I assume it's because that's also the model and animations used for the game's first-person view, but because you're looking down at it from a narrower FOV, you don't see the weirdness, and in fact it has to be animated that way to convey the movement well in first-person.

Are there any first-person games that extensively used both in-camera models (hands, torso) and included mirrors that allowed you see if the two sets of models matched up? I remember the opening of Prey starts looking in a mirror in a bathroom, and playing around with it (jumping, crouching, punching) the two views seem to more or less match.

NIGHT-

sankt-Antonio said:
my ME1 feelings:

story - bad
cutscenes - bad
trail and error - bad
qte - bad
checkpoints -bad
fighting - bad
idea - good

if they change that all it would be a good game.

// this is my oppinion, relax //

pretty much

Awesome.

I didn't like a lot of things about Mirrors Edge, but if they fix the problems, it might be game of this gen. They were soclose with the first one.

RedSwirl

Blizzard said:
I should look up a speedrun, then. Was this on hard, normal, or easy? How do you do that on Heat with the three guards and the pipes (I suspect if you're lucky you just nearly die while climbing)? How do you do it with the parking garage and the really slowly-turning valves next to the super-machine gun guard? :D

The first two actually aren't that hard.

(I should really come back to this with screencaps)

On Heat there are I think two parts where you have to deal with guards and a pipe that's half way up a wall. On the earlier part I figured out you could jump from the higher roof over the first guard, onto the air conditioners past the other two guards, and go off of those into a side wall run towards the vent, then wall run the vent, quick-turn, and leap to the pipe. If you do it at max momentum you'll take a few hits but you won't die.

The later part with guards and a high pipe is much harder but I think I did it once. I tried jumping from a blue walkway (where a guard sets up a position) platforming from air conditioner to air conditioner which got me to wall run just high enough on the pipes to avoid the guards. Took a lot of damage though. Speed run guys who practice it enough can probably do it.

If you're talking about the parking garage in the boat level, I actually totally avoided the guards my first time playing through the game. I just ran around them for a white truck, ran up the front of the truck and into a vent right behind the truck.

Don't know about that last one.

Best way to tackle Mirror's Edge 2 level design is probably with mildly easier levels, but harder speedruns. Bigger emphasis on sequences you can get through entirely by using creative platforming + stealth kills would be nice too.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing decent multiplayer either - whether it'd be racing or something similar to Uncharted 2's shooter-with-heavy-verticality-and-platforming (with the additional element of shedding guns to gain mobility), EA may see it as necessary to add to the game, and if done right I actually think it could be fun instead of feeling tacked on like many would fear.

Talon

badcrumble said:
Best way to tackle Mirror's Edge 2 level design is probably with mildly easier levels, but harder speedruns. Bigger emphasis on sequences you can get through entirely by using creative platforming + stealth kills would be nice too.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing decent multiplayer either - whether it'd be racing or something similar to Uncharted 2's shooter-with-heavy-verticality-and-platforming (with the additional element of shedding guns to gain mobility), EA may see it as necessary to add to the game, and if done right I actually think it could be fun instead of feeling tacked on like many would fear.
I'd love for a co-op mode where you and another play have to switch off packages/distract enemies in the same level while running concurrently.

ColR100

_leech_ said:
Do you know what 2D is? The iPhone game is 3D, third-person.
It's 2D gameplay design wise though. The way you describe it above makes me think Tomb-Raider. :lol

Person you quoted was right before, but obviously it's rendered as 3D.

"I think Mirror's Edge was a fascinatingly original world.Fascinatingly original art direction. Music and sound design was great. I think the gameplay mechanic was a blast, but was intermittent and the levels didn't work. You found yourself scratching at walls at times, looking for what to do. Sometimes you had a roll going, downhill, slide, jump, slide, jump and then you just got stopped. It sort of got in the way of the fun.

"It was like we couldn't quite decide if we were building Portal or a runner. And I don't think the consumer was ready to switch it up quite that way. You could say it was a sharp and great innovation. I believe that it was. You have to figure out what to do from here if you want it to be a five million seller vs. a one-million unit seller.

"I've had several very lively debates with the dev team. And they are working on it. But there's a couple of different directions you could go.

"You could say: This thing needs to be more traditional. It's first-person game. There's a lot of successful FPS products out there that do really well. We could move in that direction.

"Or [you could say]: This was never about guns. It was about its stark originality. Maybe we can back away from some of those [older] things… and emphasize the smooth play and puzzles and move it toward, if you will, a Portal.

More of a runner, absolutely, please. I agree that there were a few frustrating parts navigationally speaking, and that's just an issue of slightly improving the level design and the use of runner-vision.

His comments worry me because of the whole 'five million seller vs. one million seller' thing - makes me think that things are likely to lean toward the traditional FPS thing, and that in his conversations with the dev team, that's what he's been pulling for whereas the dev team has been pulling for making it more platforming-heavy.

charlequin said:
But you know in your heart it's #1.
Only if you are some kind of a lunatic.

Also Portal is a poor comparison. Speed running in portal involved some really clever thinking to find a shortcut to the end of the level. Mirror's Edge is about taking the quickest path through the level. Really the difference between the two games is that in Mirror's Edge you need to know a lot more shortcuts and tricks to beat the level.

Edit: Looking it at both games in simplified terms they are similar they are both about navigating through an environment. Its just the way you do it is extremely different and makes both games unique.

yurinka

Liked the first one, but they must forget the horrible Flash cutscenes, improve textures, character models and screen tearing, forget the use of guns and add more game modes like the time attack.

Loved the music, the art style, the gameplay and the concept.

Lostconfused said:
Only if you are some kind of a lunatic.

Also Portal is a poor comparison. Speed running in portal involved some really clever thinking to find a shortcut to the end of the level. Mirror's Edge is about taking the quickest path through the level. Really the difference between the two games is that in Mirror's Edge you need to know a lot more shortcuts and tricks to beat the level.
I think it's a perfectly fair comparison. There were plenty of parts in Mirror's Edge where it really felt like a Valve game to me - though much of it was in the darker underground sections that felt very HL1ish (and HL1 certainly had some platforming-heavy segments), the iPod-esque color scheme and the emphasis on traversal was strongly reminiscent of Portal to me even if the actual gameplay was wildly different. Also they used a few of the same sound effects, if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom