• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Games Appreciation Topic

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Since this is my 10,000th post here on GAF, I decided I wanted to do something... different. Something special. This topic is dedicated to all the GAF members & lurkers out there that actually make the games the rest of us play, praise, deride, and discuss. My hat is off to all of you. This is a long topic, but please read it. Consider it your gift to me, for achieving 10K posts :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

About a year ago I was conversing with someone when the topic of my work came up. I mentioned I work in the video game business, for a company that publishes websites focused on games. They asked if I was a big fan of video games in general and I said yes, absolutely. But then they asked me something that caught me off guard:

"Why do you like games so much? What is it about them that is so attractive to you?"

I didn't have a good answer for them, at the time. In the following months I've continued to turn this question over in my mind, and I still don't have a very good answer, to be honest. But that isn't going to stop me from trying, here in this topic.

The best answer I've been able to come up with is that the medium of video games, unlike any other, presents people with a sense of endless possibility. As an adult, the majority of my life is mundane. Enjoyable and fulfilling, but... mundane, nonetheless. Things simply don't happen in the "real world" to spark one's imagination.

Actually... that isn't 100% true. Things DO happen in the real world to spark the imagination. It's just that, in the end, that spark will end up being extinguished, rather than nurtured and encouraged. A perfect example:

The other day during a typical Wikipedia crawl, I landed on a piece on the Great Lakes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes. I read that Lake Superior is over 1300 feet deep. 1300!

"Jesus, that's amazing!" I thought to myself. "There could be ANYTHING down there, at the bottom!"

But the truth is... there's nothing down there. Because that's how the real world operates.

But in a game, a mysterious, deep lake is always worth exploring. There will always be something there, waiting to be discovered.

It might be a dangerous eel in need of a teeth cleaning:
230px-Eelymouth.jpg

Or an entire underwater dungeon might be waiting to be explored:
aa0209.jpg

05.jpg

Or there might just be no further reward than some treasure:
039.jpg

13.png

I think a lot of people "grow out" of games when they reach adulthood because they don't need video games anymore to feel powerful or in control of the world around them. When you're a kid, saving the world, being NFL champ, defeating the Nazis... it's pretty obvious why games are attractive.

But when you're older and have kids of your own, have real responsibility at work and are just better able to shape the world around you... there's less drive to drop into the world of Albion and wander around, rescuing strangers.

fable2-guided-tour-03.jpg

My theory is that those of us that didn't grow out of games into adulthood (ie those of you here on GAF and working in the industry)... we're the ones that didn't lose that spark of imagination. When we hear about some incredibly deep lake, or deep-space discovery, or recorded ocean sounds of unknown origin, our brains light up and we think "wow!" But... the real world lets us down in that regard, in ways that games almost never do.

I know oftentimes on GAF we can be cynical. Yes the Eely Mouth bossfight in Mario Sunshine had wonky camera issues. Yes raiding that underwater dungeon in WoW can be a pain because travel time takes so long. Yes treasure hunting in Wind Waker can be pointless. But I think deep down we all derive a certain amount of thrill from these and other set-ups... because in games, you really, truly don't know what is going to be inside that lake or around that next corner.

In some ways, that explanation is a little bit of a cop out. Several of my favorite games of all-time feature no exploratory elements of any kind.

adv_screen004.jpg

super-monkey-ball-deluxe-20050207032409381-000.jpg

geometry-wars-2-1.jpg

In those cases, instead of having robust game worlds to explore, they all have robust game systems to explore. It really isn't that different. Experimenting with a level in Monkey Ball or Advance Wars... ferreting out the perfect way to exploit the stage layout and game systems to achieve my goals... that type of game exploration isn't too far removed from crossing an overworld in Zelda or an RPG.

It's always a little sad when you finally do wrap your head around all of a deep game's systems... a subtle shift happens. It ceases being about possibility ("this game is so deep!") and becomes more about exposing all the game systems' bare parts and how they fit together, and exploiting them to accomplish your goals as quickly and easily as possible.

It's no surprise, then, that the most acclaimed and beloved games of all time (and the bulk of my top 10) are games that allow the player to explore game worlds AND game systems... both intertwined in a beautiful mix of genius design:

link-to-the-past.jpg

super_metroid.jpg

castlevania_sotn_xbla.jpg

Video Games have the ability to surprise, engage, absorb, and challenge individuals in a way that nothing else in the world can. Time spent with games is not time wasted.

It's a cliche, but I don't know a better way to put it: when you pop in a game cart (or disk), you're transported to another world. I have a tiny stack of misc. DS games on my desk, and I marveled the other day at how this little 2-inch stack contained untold-number of challenges, mysteries, stages, battles, characters... entire worlds.

My time spent in dracula's castle, in Midgar, in Ironforge, Brinstar, Hyrule, on Halo rings, tropical islands... this has not been time wasted. These experiences have enriched my life, not detracted from it.

Final%20Fantasy%209%20_%204.jpg

n64_super_mario_64_start.jpg

uncharted6-640.jpg

monkeyisland3.gif

fallout_3_pics_30.jpg

xbox360_halo3_5_16.jpg

390143757_883a14074f.jpg

cavestory.gif

pirates67gi6.jpg

Half-Life-2-Episode-2-The-coming-combine-forces-on-the-bridge.jpg

spore-screenshot.jpg

psychonauts.jpg

dwarf_fortress.jpg

professor-layton-and-the-curious-village-20080205044331263_640w.jpg

So to all of you that create these worlds and these game systems in the pursuit of putting a little bit of adventure back into people's lives... in the pursuit of ensuring that spark of imagination isn't extinguished by the boring and unsurprising "real world" but is instead rewarded... my hat is off to you. You have all accomplished something monumental. Something important.

Those of you still reading this topic, I encourage you to say "thanks" to the men & women behind your favorite games, as well. GAF is a popular place... the odds are at least one of them is reading :)

Firestorm

But which one's the best?!

Found this part in particular to kind of make me think:
The other day during a typical Wikipedia crawl, I landed on a piece on the Great Lakes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes. I read that Lake Superior is over 1300 feet deep. 1300!

"Jesus, that's amazing!" I thought to myself. "There could be ANYTHING down there, at the bottom!"

But the truth is... there's nothing down there. Because that's how the real world operates.

But in a game, a mysterious, deep lake is always worth exploring. There will always be something there, waiting to be discovered.
Goddamn. It's like a short summary of why the Zelda games are so amazing.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Wonderful thread. I hope to find myself playing games a decade from now.

Negator

Great post.

When I saw the Zelda/Metroid/Castlevania screenshots, a tear of nostalgia ran down my cheek, and then I realized why I love video games so much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Absolutely wonderful thread.

confused

Banned
I've been appreciating games for well over 20 years. Here's to ta least another 20 years (which thanks to my kids shouldn't be too hard.)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed! You deserve a pat on the back yourself good sir. I, too, hope to still be playing games a way down the line, much for the reasons you've posted.

Games fill those little voids that many of us can't fathom or access in our daily lives.
Incidentally, I played Flower for the first time last night. Couldn't help thinking "what a great way to get people interested in this medium". There are little secrets to find, but the whole 'point' is just to relax and enjoy... so simple and effective.

PS: I had a headache all day, and by the time I'd finished the 3rd plant I realised it was gone :lol

Incredible thread great job on the op, i often find myself searching for the "high" i had when played Super Mario Bros for the first time many moons ago, unfortunately the closest i have come to replicating that feeling was going through Zelda Ocarina of time for the first time more recentaly playing Mario Galaxy.

HUELEN10

Great thread OP! I particularlily like the following quote of yours.
I read that Lake Superior is over 1300 feet deep. 1300!

You've basically have written the reason as to why I love the Mario series so much. I personally hate games that stray from being linear, but Mario keeps the adventuring and exploration perfectly balanced as it feels as it is part of the essence. No other series provides quite this level of synergy in my eyes.

Noshino

Beautiful thread

GDJustin said:
Video Games have the ability to surprise, engage, absorb, and challenge individuals in a way that nothing else in the world can. Time spent with games is not time wasted.

I couldn't have said it better.

Video games are the ultimate medium of entertainment, not only that, but they can, and have, been used in the medical and educational areas with beneficial results.

It is rather sad when you see people downplay this industry, specially those that claim to love the arts, when it is simply the fusion of all of them into one.

Great thread.

Ome day, and this is against the grain. I hope to stop playing video games. I would like to taste the real honeys of life. Not the artifiicial ones. I think the world has many things to discover, it's just that there are so many people, and so much time has passed, that the undiscovered is getting smaller and scarce. But there are rewards for this strong willed. Just the other day, I heard on BBC radio 4 that a group of students, from England, went on an expedition to asia somewhere, to find a carnivorous plant. There was a myth that at the top of a particular mountain it existed, but nobody had gone to check. Or those that had, never came back. Anyway, they found it, it was everywhere on the peak. They named it after David Attenbourough.

I believe we have been spoiled into thinking there will be things like the Loch Ness. Instead the world has so many beauties, they are just very subtle. For example, knowing that light travels, to most is something meaningless, but to the educated that means so much more. It is a wonder all by itself. But you've got to adjust your senses, acquire the taste for subtleties. Why is it that some people can get so much pleasure from drinking a vintage wine, while others drink the cheapest 3l bottle of cider, to get pissed.

It's not just knowledge that empowers us, it's also will, and initiative. You must have that confidence, to take a hiatus from work, a career break, and travel. Go camp in jungles and rainforests, and travel the seven seas, so to speak.

As a kid, just wondering around in my garden was an adventure. Looking at all the insects I could find. I loved insects. Don't know why. The weirder thet were the more interesting. They looked alien. Even as a kid, I needed the initiative or circumstance to pull myself away from the TV, to explore these things. That sense of imagination, that spirit is weathered away from us. Eroded by social pressures and restrictions.

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
The appeal of video games to me now that I think about it, is that it's one of the first entertainment mediums where you actually got to control things for yourself. For a kid who loves cartoons or something otherworldly, to many kids the video games was probably their first interaction with a toy that actually produced sound at their own will, jumped when they wanted to, and did exactly what they wanted. To me it was like making my own cartoon, a feat that we could only watch, but now control.

There's just something about video games that tickles the imagination far more than any other medium. From extensive backstories of fighting games, the epic dramas of RPGs, the idea of excellent level design in a proper shooter, the challenge of shootemups, the now "what next" or "what ifs" of game designers and companies, I feel this is an industry that is growing with potential where other mediums seemed to have stagnated. Granted we see limitations, but we also see limits break every year with innovation. But what I like the best is that even though video games might be seen as a youth related activity, it's what makes me feel young but also comfortable knowing that there is such an adult culture running the whole show. Even though we might act like idiots from time to time, at least we have some fun doing it.

upandaway

Your post kinda somehow maybe explains this, but not to the full extent I want:

There are a couple people I know, myself included, who not only like playing games, but in addition exclusively hate any other sort of entertainment. I don't watch movies or read books even though they partly do what you described.
So my personal answer to why I love games is that they're still mass-market, they're still simplified and they're still about very clear goals. Sure, there are a couple that are about narrative and intelligent discussion, but the great majority aren't, which is almost the complete opposite of books or movies. In the other entertainment mediums the elitism pushes out anyone who tries to be Harry Potter or something similar. There are sites that rate games based on a similar thread of thinking, but they're so miniscule that they don't disturb me or the library of games that come out.

nny

Three cheers for videogames and videogame creators, that let us travel to wonderful, interesting, new places; and when we get there, we get to "really" be there, at least in a way that no book or movie lets you. Among all media, a good part of my most vivid, cherished memories come from places in videogames I got to visit, explore, get to know. It really sparks the imagination like nothing else.

Concerning game systems, when a videogame is well built, playing it can be one of the most reinforcing things ever. "Just five more minutes!"

Therefore...Hip Hip Hooray!

(and thank you)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I like smashing bricks into pieces.

This explains my love of Tetris and Super Mario Bros..

The answer is simple. As a kid I played them because it gave me instant gratification. As a kid, accomplishing a goal is incredibly rewarding. Video games give that to you in spades. As I got older my interest shifted from just the basics of accomplishing goals but to actual fun competition with other people.

IrishNinja

cool story, bro?

haha, nah good thread. i was thinking the other day, i long to travel but dont yet have the money. part of me thinks the sense of adventure ties into that, definitely in the exploration angle.

Such an awesome OP!!!

Gaming is such as awesome experience. Its ones of those thing that can seem to give me emotions that other forms of media can, but at the same time, hand me experiences that would be impossible to get anywhere else. Its the greatest form of media in the world, as it encompasses everything we love, and allows us to take part in it. Thanks to all of the architects of gaming, in each and every field. We all love you, and although some of us are unappreciative, it is simply because you have spoiled us with wonder and grace.

We love you all. From the folks at Nintendo, to the guys in the garage, keep doing what you do. <3

Ramenman

Awesome writing piece. I realize that I certainly couldn't answer the question that was asked to you right away either.

And this :
GDJustin said:
I read that Lake Superior is over 1300 feet deep. 1300!

is and incredibly good way of putting it. This is so right on so many aspects. There will always be something in a deep lake. And if there's nothing in it, the game probably wont give you the opportunity to explore it anyway.
The developpers know I'm going to explore. So they know they can put things in obscure places, because some people will see them.
Obviously whoever created the great lakes didn't have the decency to do that :p

Continuing with game systems makes it kind of all-encompassing.

And yeah, you do have good tastes, and quite varied too.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I love this thread. Really, when I think about it, I owe a personal debt to videogames that goes beyond entertainment value.

My Dad started a games company in the early '80s (Digital Integration) so we really depended on the industry as part of our livelihood. It also meant that from the age of about 4 or 5 I was exposed to games on all kinds of formats. I was hooked straight away and gaming has been my main pastime ever since.

GDJustin said:

Great quote. I couldn't have put it better myself!

I'm always amazed at the level of craftsmanship that goes into making games. Not all games can be brilliant, but most take a lot of work, I've seen that first-hand. So thank you to everyone out there who makes games, GAF visitors or otherwise.

[Nintex]

Great thread, I must say that the feeling of accomplishment(wow, I finished Mega Man 9!) and competition(there's always a better player out there up to for the challenge) are up there as well.

Gazunta

Between this, the Shadow Complex thread and Amirox's Wii thread GAF is kicking all sorts of ass lately.

Thank YOU for playing <3

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I do not agree with the OP, at all. The real world is not boring and is full of awesome stuff in every corner waiting to be discovered, be it an awesome animal, old ancient ruins, a beautiful landscape, an interesting person ...etc. Exploring the world is awesome, even if it doesn't have "fantasy". All fictional worlds are just a rehash of our own anyway, and inherently inferior. And the stories of the real world cannot be touched by anything out of anyone's imagination.
Of course, if you ever had something worth of being called an adventure, you'd know they are full of hardships and grief; most of the time you're struggling and suffering. But there are small moments that make everything worth, and in the end, when you look back, you wouldn't change that experience for anything. Videogames allow you get some of the joy of these with none of the risks, that's why they're awesome. You can explore a jungle, it's a fake jungle but you won't get bitten by a poisonous snake (your character would, but it's just a minor annoyance), you can involve yourself in a police investigation from the comfiness of your chair, you can shoot people without hurting anybody... etc.
That said, it's cool to immerse yourself in these imaginary places and do all this stuff that's too bothersome in the real world, but for me it's also very important to get a good interactive experience, be it a twitch heavy game that forces you to hone your reflexes and skills or a strategic one that makes you to squeeze your brains.

I hope that made sense, "long" posts like this one are hard to put together when it's not your mother language.

Amazing thread GDJustin. Your points about exploration and game mechanics are so true, for all of us. The recent release of Shadow Complex (and its near universal praise) have proven your points all too well. The Metroidvania genre relies on that sense of exploration and wanting to find out what's in the unknown. Coupled with some deep mechanics and atmosphere they make an experience that's so endearing and something that we as gamers should treasure.

It's why I love Nifflas' games. They reward exploration, they make you want to know the unknown, and they provide an atmosphere that is so alien that you can't help but see more of it. It's why I love exploring (won't be able to soon though) in WoW. Finding these places that you're not meant to (Ironforge Airport, Dancing Troll Village, etc.) just excites me. I want to see everything. It really makes me appreciate how much detail that Blizzard has put into even the most unnecessary parts of the game (even if they're not fully finished). Hell, even Love tickles those same fancies.

Mar

Excellent post. Got me all teary eyed.

Been playing games for over 20 years myself, and I'm still not tired of them. I still get that rush of excitement and the joy when I discover something. I remember all the way back to my primary school days and my teacher telling my parents I was too much of a dreamer. That still hasn't changed and I love being caught up in not only my own dreams, but those of others which have taken the form of a video game.

When you said you looked at your stack of DS cartridges and lost yourself in wonderment over all the adventures contained therein. It reminded me a lot of how I felt when I view the following picture:

edgecoverss.jpg

Many of these covers represent countless adventures that I can still plainly recall in my head. Many years of joy and excitement, and even the real life memories that went along with them (such as the Christmas eve I played The Last Ninja, and as the clock struck midnight one of the most amazing soundtracks to a game I had ever heard was bellowing out of my C64).

Here's to another 20 years. And hopefully I die well before I lose the spark of imagination needed to enjoy video games.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
hit-the-nail-on-the-head-200x200.jpg

Great post you really nailed it. Games evoke our imaginations. Just like books do for some people games do that for us/me. I too feel that games have enriched my life and expanded the imagination that ran so rampant in my childhood.

Sure I don't have as much time to dive into those imaginary worlds now. The real world dominates most of my time. I often find myself relating the real world to games. I'll imagine how easy it would to scale a building 'infamous' style. While driving think about how much cooler my trip would be if I was driving the harimau from Wipeout HD.

Video games allow me to keep my sanity in the otherwise crazy competitive and unforgiving world of adulthood. Thank you creators, coders, testers, and publishers
NOT YOU ACTIVISION

Great post!

Concept cars that didn't make it out of Detroit are at the bottom of the lake. :p

Orpheon

Banned
A very gripping read, glad I pushed myself to read it.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more - the hidden depths of many people's imagination, passion, artistic genius and dedication is what so strongly captivated - and continues to captivate - those who journey through the worlds created for them.

I can say without a doubt that my childhood felt richer and more memorable with gaming. It may not have the same effect as it had back then, yet I dare say that we could have imagined how the video games of this day and age would impact us, move us, and take us to new heights of emotion and interaction.

The only wish I harbor is for gaming to live on in its peak, constantly rewriting the rules and bringing the dreams of those who create into the worlds of those who adventure, for aeons to come.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Very good read and very good thread. I never once asked the question myself :D .

Damn. Yeah. The OP perfectly sums up why I'm a gamer. I'll admit that I'm not as much into gaming as I was when I was younger, but that's just because I have a lot more responsibilities and to be quite frank, ever since the Guitar Hero/Rock Band/online multiplayer/Nintendo Wii-exercise-frisbee-situps-take your cough syrup revolution there have been fewer titles that allow me to have the same experiences that I used to. That's why I'm absolutely in love with games like Shadow Complex right now. I'm also playing through Lost Odyssey for the first time and it's proving to be a really great RPG, reminiscent of when I used to trudge through stuff like Breath of Fire and Final Fantasy and so forth.

This is a nice thread. With all the complaining and bullshitting that is going on on this board, it is nice to see something like this. I totally agree with your statements about exploration.

Fuck yeah, this thread is awesome. I love video games. I'm sure everyone says this before they eventually give up something they love, but I am never going to give up playing games no matter what I end up doing in life.

I'm 34 years old and I've been playing video games for the better part of over 27 years now. I remember my mom buying me Robotron on the Atari 2600 for me and my brother. I remember running down the apartment hallway to our neighbors who let me play their Intellivision, and being super scared by the dragon in Advanced D&D. At age 14 I worked my first job as a dishwasher to raise the $100 for a brand new Nintendo.

Still playing almost daily today. Now my wife is pregnant with my first child and I look forward to watching them experience all the joys of gaming too (in moderation of course).

Arnie

Great opening post. Great thread. Summed my thoughts up exactly.

If somebody asks me in future why I love videogames, I will quote you and your lake analogy. If they can't appreciate then they will never appreciate videogames.

Top Bottom