• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: AMD DirectX 11 Card Performances, Prices Revealed, Surprisingly Affordable

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that the performance and price of AMD's DirectX 11 cards have been revealed. It's surprisingly affordable.

5850: $249
5870: $299

Performance: 2 Teraflops
VRAM: 1 GB or 2 GB

Nordic Hardware said:
The name of the Evergreen family remained a well kept secret as long as it stayed within AMD. When AMD decided to tell partners what the new name would be it didn't take long before the information leaked. VR-Zone was quick to snap up the information supplied to partners and it clearly states that Cypress will become Radeon HD 5800, where Cypress XT becomes HD 5870 and Cypress Pro becomes HD 5850. No performance specifications were mentioned in the first post.

However, in a related discussion it was revealed by CJ that the series will sport performance equal to 2FTLOPS. If the individual shader performance remains about the same we would expect the specifications to be around 1600 shaders and 80TMUs (speculation). The bus is back to 256-bit, and not the odd numbers we heard rumors of before, and the memory amount is 1GB, 2GB with pimped up versions coming later.

The new Eyefinity technology deserves to be mentioned too. It will enable users to use up to three displays with a single card.

Sources to Donanimhaber have informed them of the prices of the Radeon HD 5800 series. The faster Radeon HD 5870 is said to be priced at $299, while the slightly slower HD 5850 will be priced at $249. This is pretty much the same as the launch of the Radeon HD 4800 series. Once again AMD is aiming for the sweetspot in terms of Price/performance with a single GPU rather than raw performance.
Source: http://www.nordichardware.com/news,9840.html

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
mr_nothin said:
Any rumors about release windows?
Yep, September 10th.

29pvhcg.jpg

That invite reads to me like an unveiling, but the sites reporting on it insist it's a launch date. I'm assuming they know something we don't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
What about a 5870x2 ? any news?

I am on a 4780x2 now and wondering if an upgrade will be worth it
Not that I've heard, but maybe someone else knows.

I'm pretty sure they'll come within six months of the original launch though. They'll want to release something when NVidia finally gets around to releasing their cards to try to keep the spotlight on them.

kitch9

Banned
DennisK4 said:
What about a 5870x2 ? any news?

I am on a 4780x2 now and wondering if an upgrade will be worth it

Probably not until a DX11 game shows its muscle. I've got the same card and I'm gonna hang on until it does.

Hopefully Nvidia are making a competition of it and the choice is good by then.

F

finskninja

Unconfirmed Member
that's a nice price although my experiences with ATI has not been good at all : (

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
finskninja said:
that's a nice price although my experiences with ATI has not been good at all : (
I feel they improved a lot when AMD bought them. When they stopped manufacturing their own cards that seems to help a lot also.

Chris R

Sounds interesting, but I'll have to wait and see how well they work in a Hackentosh :lol (well my brother will probably get one in his next computer as he will be building it in a few months)

DieH@rd

Banned
250$ for 5850? :( Europe will again be raped, if they price it here for 250euros :(

I really hoped they will release something in 150-200euro range on the launch.

Dennis

Banned
Am I reading this right? There will be a single GPU 5780 with 2 GB VRAM ?

Hm...if they release a 5870x2 with 2 x 2 GB VRAM I will be very tempted...

zoku88

Why is it surprising? Didn't they, more or less, say that they were going with the same strategy as their 4xxx series?

jersoc

those are great prices. can't wait for all the details. although I hope more people develop for dx11 than what dx10 failed to do so.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Vorador said:
I will wait for nVidia's choice before making a decision. But those specs and prices look good.
This.
ATI is just adding to its architecture this time, while Nvidia is using a completely new architecture. I will wait until the both companies have released and then make my choice. However, the pricing makes me extremely happy :) Thank you ATI.
I am hoping for the 5850 to surpass the GTX285 the same way the 4850 surpassed the 9800. I can only imagine the next generation of cards. SOOO SWEET.

Vorador

Banned
godhandiscen said:
This.
ATI is just adding to its architecture this time, while Nvidia is using a completely new architecture. I will wait until the both companies have released and then make my choice. However, the pricing makes me extremely happy :) Thank you ATI.
I am hoping for the 5850 to surpass the GTX285 the same way the 4850 surpassed the 9800. I can only imagine the next generation of cards. SOOO SWEET.

The ol' tick-tick-tock cicle :lol

My ol' 8800GTS has served me well. I want to buy a worthwhile successor of that card. :^P

Acidote

Vorador said:
The ol' tick-tick-tock cicle :lol

My ol' 8800GTS has served me well. I want to buy a worthwhile successor of that card. :^P

Well, I'm still using a X1950 Pro I inherited from my brothers former PC :lol

It will be a good few years before I move off my gtx 260, by then though we may see some cool uses for DX11, not in any rush.

spazzfish

What I want to know is if for people like me that have PCI-e 1.1 slots will that start being the cause of bottle necks with these new cards. I know 1.1 runs at equivalent 8x speed of a 2.0 slot if I'm not mistaken. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a new motherboard at the same time these cards become available.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
spazzfish said:
What I want to know is if for people like me that have PCI-e 1.1 slots will that start being the cause of bottle necks with these new cards. I know 1.1 runs at equivalent 8x speed of a 2.0 slot if I'm not mistaken. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting a new motherboard at the same time these cards become available.
I still think you got enough time for your CPU to become the bottleneck in games before your PCI-E bandwidth does (On a single GPU card anyway).

Hopefully the 4850 will be an overclocking beast.:D

Rur0ni

godhandiscen said:
This.
I actually read that the R8xx series will be the most radical change since the R600.

Also someone asked about X2: I believe the current rumor is November?

I'm either buying a 2nd GTX 260 for SLI (gtx 295 performance), or whatever AMD/ATI comes with in October (Press/Paper/Previews in September) assuming it has that performance level.. which the rumors suggest. 2+ Tflops mofo.

I would wait for the GT300, but it doesn't seem to be coming until Q1_2010. The expectation is nVidia will launch 40nm refreshes of the GT200 series and price aggressively, market cuda, etc.

52club

Even if you are not an ATI fan these price points will hopefully put pressure on NVIDIA to keep their prices somewhat competitive.

I've decided to hold off for now on a new video card and wait for these Direct X 11 compatible cards. I don't blame anyone for not waiting though. I'm have a 9800 GT and just can't justify jumping yet, since I'm happy with running most games at 1680x1050.

mike0513

Banned
I'm gonna stick w/ my gtx275 for probably another year until something comes out that justifies buying dx11 cards. I say that now, and yet I just know i'm going to be frothing at the mouth when I see the box's on the shelves in my local pc store

SamBishop

Banned
zoku88 said:
That;s ok, since NV's laptop cards aren't very reliable either :p

<--- Still mad about his 8600...

Unfortunately, when the alternative is my cutting edge X3100 option as an embedded graphics chip, some of us might still be a bit jealous that you can play, uh, anything. Jerks and your fancy battery-sucking, huge-screen, hi-res-supporting awesomefunfests...

I'm just jealous.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ogs said:
Heres hoping these cards make Crysis @ Very High very affordable :).
You can already buy a GTX 260 or 4870 for $150.
I'm gonna stick w/ my gtx275 for probably another year until something comes out that justifies buying dx11 cards. I say that now, and yet I just know i'm going to be frothing at the mouth when I see the box's on the shelves in my local pc store
I'm happy if I see anything above a 9400 in a store :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
My comp is dying.... hopefully it'll hold out for a few more months. When I do replace it, it'll be with a couple of these babies (so I can run the third monitor on my triple monitor setup for the first time properly!)

mike0513

Banned
Zaptruder said:
My comp is dying.... hopefully it'll hold out for a few more months. When I do replace it, it'll be with a couple of these babies (so I can run the third monitor on my triple monitor setup for the first time properly!)
Yeah, I need to replace the RAM, Hardrive, and probably even the motherboard at this point. I also am going to need a new case, vent fan...pretty much everything :lol

UT66

Banned
My $85 4770 laughs at this news. Hell my 9800GT and even the 8600GTS sit here unused and laugh at this fuking news. BASICALLY...

FUCK YOU ATI. FUCK YOU NVIDIA. FUCK YOU AMD. AND FUCK YOUR ASS INTEL. OH AND MICROSOFT. FUCK YOU TOO, YOU STUPID FUCKS. LET ME ASK YOU THIS...

Where the hell is my KZ2 caliber game, exclusive for the PC? MY GT5 CALIBER GAME? AH?

Crysis? Fuck that. YES, It was funny game for like a few days, but basically that's just throwing shit at my PC, so you FUCKS can justify selling your ridiculous hardware. That doesn't strike me as a good, intelligent, and honest effort. That's not efficient. That doesn't wow me. KZ2 does. GT5 does ( For the record, im no ps3 fan) And those games are running on a super piece of shit notebook gpu from 2005!!

So enougth of this bullshit. ENOUGH! YOU WANT ME TO BUY YOUR STUPID HARDWARE? WOW ME. USE WHAT I HAVE FOR A FUKING CHANGE. PUT SOME FUCKING EFFORT ON IT. HIGHER ANTI ALIASING AND HIGER RESOLUTION IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT ANYMORE. IM NOT ASKING FOR MUCH. 720P AND 30FPS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
JUST TAKE WHATS LEFT AND SQUEEZE REALLY HARD. YOU KNOW? LIKE YOU FUCKS DO WITH THE CONSOLES. UNTIL THEN, FUCK YOU.

mike0513

Banned
UT66 said:
My $85 4770 laughs at this news. Hell my 9800GT and even the 8600GTS sit here unused and laugh at this fuking news. BASICALLY...

FUCK YOU ATI. FUCK YOU NVIDIA. FUCK YOU AMD. AND FUCK YOUR ASS INTEL. OH AND MICROSOFT. FUCK YOU TOO, YOU STUPID FUCKS. LET ME ASK YOU THIS...

Where the hell is my KZ2 caliber game, exclusive for the PC? MY GT5 CALIBER GAME? AH?

Crysis? Fuck that. YES, It was funny game for like a few days, but basically that's just throwing shit at my PC, so you FUCKS can justify selling your ridiculous hardware. That doesn't strike me as a good, intelligent, and honest effort. That's not efficient. That doesn't wow me. KZ2 does. GT5 does ( For the record, im no ps3 fan) And those games are running on a super piece of shit notebook gpu from 2005!!

So enougth of this bullshit. ENOUGH! YOU WANT ME TO BUY YOUR STUPID HARDWARE? WOW ME. USE WHAT I HAVE FOR A FUKING CHANGE. PUT SOME FUCKING EFFORT ON IT. HIGHER ANTI ALIASING AND HIGER RESOLUTION IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT ANYMORE. IM NOT ASKING FOR MUCH. 720P AND 30FPS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
JUST TAKE WHATS LEFT AND SQUEEZE REALLY HARD. YOU KNOW? LIKE YOU FUCKS DO WITH THE CONSOLES. UNTIL THEN, FUCK YOU.
:lol *walks over and hugs* It will be okay my son, it will be alright

Cdammen

UT66 said:

Wow. This made my day :lol

Pikelet

UT66 said:

:lol :lol please dont tell me your serious

Top Bottom