• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: AMD DirectX 11 Card Performances, Prices Revealed, Surprisingly Affordable

UT66

Banned
JUST A LIL EXPERIMENT: just give that kz2 or uncharted guys, a crappy "gaming" pc, say a low end amd dual core from 05, 1GB of generic ram, and a meager 9600GT, and see what happens.... AVATAR 2. THE RETURN OF THE AVATARS. IN 4D! Now... give that PC to any "competent" pc dev and see what happens... ILL TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENS! SHIT! LOOKS LIKE SHIT, RUNS LIKE SHIT. PLAYS LIKE SHIT OR DOESN'T EVEN RUN. GREAT! BUT HEY BUY HOUR NEW SHINNY HARDWARE! edit- my pc-s are much better than that, btw.

tak

Draft said:
Well, this is a gaming forum.
As a Linux user, I find this comment offensive. There are many great native Linux games like Doom 3, Quake 3, Quake 2... Quake 1... hmmm... does TuxRacer count?

Doytch

UT66 said:
JUST A LIL EXPERIMENT: just give that kz2 or uncharted guys, a crappy "gaming" pc, say a low end amd dual core from 05, 1GB of generic ram, and a meager 9600GT, and see what happens.... AVATAR 2. THE RETURN OF THE AVATARS. IN 4D! Now... give that PC to any "competent" pc dev and see what happens... ILL TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENS! SHIT! LOOKS LIKE SHIT, RUNS LIKE SHIT. PLAYS LIKE SHIT OR DOESN'T EVEN RUN. GREAT! BUT HEY BUY HOUR NEW SHINNY HARDWARE!

God damn you're stupid.

Firestorm

Oh that was serious? He used KZ2 so I thought it was sarcasm. Oh well. Juniors don't get temp bans. I wonder what'll happen when a mod gets here :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Firestorm said:
Oh that was serious? He used KZ2 so I thought it was sarcasm. Oh well. Juniors don't get temp bans. I wonder what'll happen when a mod gets here :)

We will see, I was temp banned
few times :) :) :)
for less hate.
Regarding dx11, i will wait for price to hit 150euros for 5850 and then i will buy it. Or i will find one used.

UT66 said:
JUST A LIL EXPERIMENT: just give that kz2 or uncharted guys, a crappy "gaming" pc, say a low end amd dual core from 05, 1GB of generic ram, and a meager 9600GT, and see what happens.... AVATAR 2. THE RETURN OF THE AVATARS. IN 4D! Now... give that PC to any "competent" pc dev and see what happens... ILL TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENS! SHIT! LOOKS LIKE SHIT, RUNS LIKE SHIT. PLAYS LIKE SHIT OR DOESN'T EVEN RUN. GREAT! BUT HEY BUY HOUR NEW SHINNY HARDWARE!

The hell?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
UT66 said:

Console development is where it is at right now for companies who want to maximize their profits. This means that a lot of PC games now days are simply upgraded ports of console games. Games that are developed exclusively for PC will rarely try to push the newest hardware. Why? It's very simple: not many people are willing to shell out tons of cash to have cutting-edge hardware and most companies want to get as many people as possible to buy their games. That is why successful PC game producers like Blizzard focuses on making their games run well on a wide range of hardware.

New generations of video cards usually come out at least once a year and prices are constantly being slashed on older hardware. There is no reason to buy the newest of the new unless you are an enthusiast and care about getting the best possible image quality with the smoothest framerates at extremely high resolutions. People buy this hardware to run existing games with amazing performance and to not have to worry about handling games coming out in the next few years.

I'm not sure why you seem to be so caught up on Uncharted and Killzone 2. Sure both games look great especially considering how inferior the hardware they are running on is to cutting-edge PC hardware, but it isn't like they are some kind of technical marvel. Killzone 2 for example runs at 1280x720 (perhaps even lower, I don't know...) at 30fps with frequent deeps below that. If you are a PC enthusiast, stuff like that just isn't acceptable.

Dipswitch

ATI deserves a big hug for making these high end cards affordable again. That having been said, I just built a new rig last year (With a 1GB 4870) so I'm all set until DX11 games become mainstream.

Even though UT66 is crazy, I agree with the point he's trying to make.

Can we achieve DirectX10 bullshots before we move on into the next thing first.

UT66 said:
Yes, and i love you too. btw, my card has a higher price > $109.99. can i complain now?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102835

Or maybe i need to spend a bit more money first? That 4770 might seem like a crappy card to some - uneducated- gafers, but in raw power, the thing just shits all over any console gpu... and yet, there is no racing game like GT5, -a ps3 game- on pc.

We all know about the 4770. My point was that you're complaining like someone who dropped $2500 on overpriced hardware and isn't seeing bang for his buck.

BTW, if as a junior you're looking to carve out the stupid niche as a way to define yourself here at GAF, you'll find that spot taken and the waiting line long.

UT66 said:
My $85 4770 laughs at this news. Hell my 9800GT and even the 8600GTS sit here unused and laugh at this fuking news. BASICALLY...

FUCK YOU ATI. FUCK YOU NVIDIA. FUCK YOU AMD. AND FUCK YOUR ASS INTEL. OH AND MICROSOFT. FUCK YOU TOO, YOU STUPID FUCKS. LET ME ASK YOU THIS...

Where the hell is my KZ2 caliber game, exclusive for the PC? MY GT5 CALIBER GAME? AH?

Crysis? Fuck that. YES, It was funny game for like a few days, but basically that's just throwing shit at my PC, so you FUCKS can justify selling your ridiculous hardware. That doesn't strike me as a good, intelligent, and honest effort. That's not efficient. That doesn't wow me. KZ2 does. GT5 does ( For the record, im no ps3 fan) And those games are running on a super piece of shit notebook gpu from 2005!!

So enougth of this bullshit. ENOUGH! YOU WANT ME TO BUY YOUR STUPID HARDWARE? WOW ME. USE WHAT I HAVE FOR A FUKING CHANGE. PUT SOME FUCKING EFFORT ON IT. HIGHER ANTI ALIASING AND HIGER RESOLUTION IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT ANYMORE. IM NOT ASKING FOR MUCH. 720P AND 30FPS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
JUST TAKE WHATS LEFT AND SQUEEZE REALLY HARD. YOU KNOW? LIKE YOU FUCKS DO WITH THE CONSOLES. UNTIL THEN, FUCK YOU.
WOW! That thar was a quality melt down :lol

UT66

Banned
Zefah said:
insightful post

agree. the problem is... they are not even touching the cutting-edge hardware from 2006! Resolutions and frame rates are irrelevant. Just imagine the things a gpu like the g80 could do at 720p and 30FPS. im not seen that on pc.

Rapping Granny said:

This doesn't make DX10 irrelevant or anything, it's just an updated version with greater flexibility. I think the reason we're seeing a new Direct X version so soon after 10 has more to do with the fact that version is so tied into Vista and MS realized that was a mistake.

Cheeto

Rapping Granny said:

Except the point he's trying to make is fucking stupid. Sure, if a developer out there decided to make a purpose-built graphical powerhouse game specially designed for the two highest-end GPUs on the market, it'd look amazing...better than anything else. But then it'd only sell to a fraction of the market...so they have to account for lower hardware and make the engine scalable. Not sure why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

I love the whole KZ2, Uncharted, GT5, whatever comparisons too. I'd like to imagine what the games would look like if they allowed the user to do stuff like this at will, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVOArOFm3oU Yes, we know all those games look good, but come on...you're playing in a glorified corridor.

Blackface

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
This doesn't make DX10 irrelevant or anything, it's just an updated version with greater flexibility. I think the reason we're seeing a new Direct X version so soon after 10 has more to do with the fact that version is so tied into Vista and MS realized that was a mistake.

DX10 has been irrelevant since it was introduced.

Opiate

Zefah said:
Console development is where it is at right now for companies who want to maximize their profits.

Such as who? I can think of one: Nintendo. Who else is maximizing their profits on consoles?

UT66

Banned
gregor7777 said:
We all know about the 4770. My point was that you're complaining like someone who dropped $2500 on overpriced hardware and isn't seeing bang for his buck.

BTW, if as a junior you're looking to carve out the stupid niche as a way to define yourself here at GAF, you'll find that spot taken and the waiting line long.

i been gaming on pc forever. trust me is more money that that. And thank you for yet another " u stupid". Thank you mister brilliant. BTW I just love the rules and vocabulary over here... junior? :lol wtf is that? like a polite noob? Try to tell me junior in the real world, and see what happens. (ill give you a big kiss)

Blackface

Banned
UT66 said:
i been gaming on pc forever. trust me is more money that that. And thank you for yet another " u stupid". Thank you mister brilliant. BTW I just love the rules and vocabulary over here... junior? :lol wtf is that? like a polite noob? Try to tell me junior in the real world, and see what happens. (ill give you a big kiss)

You don't know what you are talking about. It's embarrassing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
UT66 said:
agree. the problem is... they are not even touching the cutting-edge hardware from 2006! Resolutions and frame rates are irrelevant. Just imagine the things a gpu like the g80 could do at 720p and 30FPS. im not seen that on pc.

Resolution and frame rate might be irrelevant to you, but they definitely are not irrelevant to PC gamers who buy this hardware. This is especially true with anyone who owns a native 1920x1080 or higher resolution monitor.

Sure the g80 could do some crazy stuff if hundreds of companies focused solely on developing for that one card, but that just isn't going to happen on the PC. It is an open platform and there are many video card options that are constantly evolving. The consoles are closed platforms which is why developers have to do their best to squeeze everything they can get out of them. Being a closed platform is both an upside and a downside for consoles.

The benefits are that consumers don't have to worry about putting together some hardware, worrying about drivers, etc... They just buy the unit, buy some dedicated software and it works. This is why you have tens of millions (and sometimes hundreds of millions) of consoles getting sold over a generation where this would never happen with a specific video card or hardware set up.This is good for developers as well because they know exactly what hardware their software will be running on and the experience will be the same across the board.

The downside is that they are closed systems and there is nothing a console owner can do to improve how their software runs or customize their experience. This means that Killzone 2 may look great with all of its cool post-processing effects, you will never be able to run it at a high resolution with a respectable framerate.

Personally I will take PC gaming any day of the week. Playing some of the multiplatform games at 1920x1200 with high texture resolution, anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering with 60+ fps provides a much better experience than what you will get on the consoles. Mass Effect for example is really quite a different experience when you play it on a high-end PC compared to the 360.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Opiate said:
Such as who? I can think of one: Nintendo. Who else is maximizing their profits on consoles?

Do you think Call of Duty 4 would have sold even half of what it did if Infinity Ward designed it exclusively for high-end PCs? How about any other multi-million selling console game?

Vorador

Banned
UT66 said:

*facepalm.jpg*

Take a looong and hard look at your tag. See the "Junior Member" there?

As everyone else stated, UT66 is right. There really is no point in investing on super expensive cards when there is barely any software that supports them. Anyhow, I'll just hang on tight to my 9800GT and see what the future holds.

Opiate

Rapping Granny said:
Activision?

They make 50% of their money from the PC, more than the PS3, 360 and Wii combined. They're the largest publisher in the world, and the PC is by far their strongest platform. Not a good example.

Opiate said:
They make 50% of their money from the PC, more than the PS3, 360 and Wii combined. They're the largest publisher in the world, and the PC is by far their strongest platform. Not a good example.

Since the merger with Blizzard, surely ?

Gravijah

UT66 said:
JUST A LIL EXPERIMENT: just give that kz2 or uncharted guys, a crappy "gaming" pc, say a low end amd dual core from 05, 1GB of generic ram, and a meager 9600GT, and see what happens.... AVATAR 2. THE RETURN OF THE AVATARS. IN 4D! Now... give that PC to any "competent" pc dev and see what happens... ILL TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENS! SHIT! LOOKS LIKE SHIT, RUNS LIKE SHIT. PLAYS LIKE SHIT OR DOESN'T EVEN RUN. GREAT! BUT HEY BUY HOUR NEW SHINNY HARDWARE! edit- my pc-s are much better than that, btw.

So basically console developers could make games 9000 times better than their console games if they switched to PC.

Opiate

Zefah said:
Do you think Call of Duty 4 would have sold even half of what it did if Infinity Ward designed it exclusively for high-end PCs? How about any other multi-million selling console game?

This is irrelevant. It's a very important game, but it's a single game. You were talking about publishers, not individual games. We're talking about a general trend. You said that publishers are focusing on consoles for making a profit: I'm asking for examples. "Call of Duty" isn't a publisher. ActivisionBlizzard, the company which produced Call of Duty, is a publisher, however.

And AB makes vastly more money on the PC than they do on the PS3 or 360 -- far more than those consoles combined, in fact. Not only that, last year, PS3/360 were the third and fourth largest markets for Activision.

It's a pretty terrible example of your point.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Honestly the price doesn't mean anything until we see how it compares to other cards. But I am excited. I havent upgraded my computer since I bought my PS3 @ launch. Which means I'm still running a 6800 Ultra. :lol I WILL be upgrading this generation.

SamBishop said:
Holy shit, you're back?! I swear I haven't seen your name/av in ages...
Glad somebody has noticed. lol But yeah, I couldn't stay away from gaf that long. :D

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
I just paid $400 for a GTX 285 Black not too long ago. Why do I do this to myself every couple of years? I'm with UT66, lol. You rock man, don't listen to the haters. :D

You just had the meltdown I *wanted* to have but couldn't.

zoku88

mjolnirsbane said:
I just paid $400 for a GTX 285 Black not too long ago. Why do I do this to myself every couple of years? I'm with UT66, lol. You rock man, don't listen to the haters. :D
Uhh, You really only have yourself to blame...

You could've bought a card that's good enough for half the price...

Heck, you don't even need to upgrade now...

Gravijah

mjolnirsbane said:

How long ago? Even I, someone who doesn't even own a gaming PC, was aware newer, better cards were in the pipeline. Pay attention!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BloodySinner said:
As everyone else stated, UT66 is right. There really is no point in investing on super expensive cards when there is barely any software that supports them. Anyhow, I'll just hang on tight to my 9800GT and see what the future holds.

He isn't right or wrong. He just has an opinion.

I think it would be bad for the industry if hardware makers just stopped pumping out new video cards, processors, etc... Where do you think all of the evolutions in video game graphics come from? It certainly isn't pioneered by the consoles.

Honestly, it looks like what UT66 wants is simply a console. He wants companies to release hardware that developers will focus on getting the most out of for a certain period of time which he does not define. That is exactly what a console is. A hardware iteration is released once every 5-8 years or so and developers milk the crap out of that hardware until the next iteration.

You definitely get much better cost performance with consoles and there are cool moments at the end of a console's life cycle where you can say, "wow look at the amazing things these guys are doing with this [now] shitty hardware! awesome!", but I personally would rather have the option to constantly upgrade my hardware to improve my gaming experience and that is what a PC offers. It would be stifling to the industry if Nvidia and ATI, etc... just stopped releasing new hardware except for once every few years.

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
Easy boys, easy... I wanted to play Total War Empires without a hiccup. Mission successful.

I can always throw the 285 in a back up machine and get the latest if it's cheaper. I could also SLI the 285 with another and that might be badass for sometime to come so I'm now worried about it... why are you?

I paid $389 at Tiger Direct about three months ago. At that time it was the best card for the money so I din't think I should be berated or told to "pay attention". I shopped for a little while before I bought the card and I love it so... should that frakkin upset? Nope.

Gravijah

mjolnirsbane said:
Easy boys, easy... I wanted to play Total War Empires without a hiccup. Mission successful.

I can always throw the 285 in a back up machine and get the latest if it's cheaper. I could also SLI the 285 with another and that might be badass for sometime to come so I'm now worried about it... why are you?

I paid $389 at Tiger Direct about three months ago. At that time it was the best card for the money so I din't think I should be berated or told to "pay attention". I shopped for a little while before I bought the card and I love it so... should that frakkin upset? Nope.

So basically you have no reason to complain.

Top Bottom