• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: AMD DirectX 11 Card Performances, Prices Revealed, Surprisingly Affordable

RavenFox said:
Is that suppose to be funny?

Come on, now. I'm a LAMP dev, use Linux on my dev machine and several of my home PCs, but let's not kid ourselves here.

Linux doesn't have the support from the industry to be considered a viable gaming platform.

Firestorm

And if we wanna do this...
Resident Evil 5
PS3: 720p, 30 fps, 2D
PC on new nVidia cards: 1080p, 60 fps, 3D
mjolnirsbane said:
I just paid $400 for a GTX 285 Black not too long ago. Why do I do this to myself every couple of years? I'm with UT66, lol. You rock man, don't listen to the haters. :D
Why did you? I paid $250 for a GTX 275 which should last me about two years and performs almost as well and I got it in july. Do more research before you spend your money.

Gravijah

Firestorm said:
And if we wanna do this...
Resident Evil 5
PS3: 720p, 30 fps, 2D
PC on new nVidia cards: 1080p, 60 fps, 3DWhy did you? I paid $250 for a GTX 275 which should last me about two years and performs almost as well and I got it in july. Do more research before you spend your money.

2D is the new 3D, and 3D is the new 3D OH MY GOSH!

Firestorm

Actually, I just remembered that since all the 120Hz monitors are 1680x1050 right now, it'd be "1050p" or something for RE5 in 3D =P

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Opiate said:
This is irrelevant. It's a very important game, but it's a single game. You were talking about publishers, not individual games. We're talking about a general trend. You said that publishers are focusing on consoles for making a profit: I'm asking for examples. "Call of Duty" isn't a publisher. ActivisionBlizzard, the company which produced Call of Duty, is a publisher, however.

And AB makes vastly more money on the PC than they do on the PS3 or 360 -- far more than those consoles combined, in fact. Not only that, last year, PS3/360 were the third and fourth largest markets for Activision.

It's a pretty terrible example of your point.

Okay, well how about you tell me why so many companies are focusing on the consoles with PC releases being more of an afterthought. Why did Epic, for example, shift their focus to the consoles when they have been a long-time PC powerhouse?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mjolnirsbane said:
Easy boys, easy... I wanted to play Total War Empires without a hiccup. Mission successful.

I can always throw the 285 in a back up machine and get the latest if it's cheaper. I could also SLI the 285 with another and that might be badass for sometime to come so I'm now worried about it... why are you?

I paid $389 at Tiger Direct about three months ago. At that time it was the best card for the money so I din't think I should be berated or told to "pay attention". I shopped for a little while before I bought the card and I love it so... should that frakkin upset? Nope.

And you wouldn't have had that option if UT66's dream world was realized.

Zefah said:
He isn't right or wrong. He just has an opinion.

I think it would be bad for the industry if hardware makers just stopped pumping out new video cards, processors, etc... Where do you think all of the evolutions in video game graphics come from? It certainly isn't pioneered by the consoles.

Honestly, it looks like what UT66 wants is simply a console. He wants companies to release hardware that developers will focus on getting the most out of for a certain period of time which he does not define. That is exactly what a console is. A hardware iteration is released once every 5-8 years or so and developers milk the crap out of that hardware until the next iteration.

You definitely get much better cost performance with consoles and there are cool moments at the end of a console's life cycle where you can say, "wow look at the amazing things these guys are doing with this [now] shitty hardware! awesome!", but I personally would rather have the option to constantly upgrade my hardware to improve my gaming experience and that is what a PC offers. It would be stifling to the industry if Nvidia and ATI, etc... just stopped releasing new hardware except for once every few years.

Yes, he does have an opinion. One that a lot of the users here and myself agree with. I believe the point he was trying to get across is that the PC rarely gets the big blockbuster-like games that the consoles tend to have frequently. The ones that are constantly pushing console hardware to its limit. Rarely, do we see our PC hardware get pushed for software. So why spend the big bucks only to play Crysis (or any other PC game) at a faster and highly resolution? It doesn't change anything, it's still the same old game. Frankly, I just don't think the investment is really worth the return rate.

zoku88

Zefah said:
Okay, well how about you tell me why so many companies are focusing on the consoles with PC releases being more of an afterthought. Why did Epic, for example, shift their focus to the consoles when they have been a long-time PC powerhouse?
You know, there are many companies that also release exclusively for PC and not for consoles, too... It just depends on the type of game. Different genres tend to gravitate towards different platforms.

UT66 said:
My $85 4770 laughs at this news. Hell my 9800GT and even the 8600GTS sit here unused and laugh at this fuking news. BASICALLY...

FUCK YOU ATI. FUCK YOU NVIDIA. FUCK YOU AMD. AND FUCK YOUR ASS INTEL. OH AND MICROSOFT. FUCK YOU TOO, YOU STUPID FUCKS. LET ME ASK YOU THIS...

Where the hell is my KZ2 caliber game, exclusive for the PC? MY GT5 CALIBER GAME? AH?

Crysis? Fuck that. YES, It was funny game for like a few days, but basically that's just throwing shit at my PC, so you FUCKS can justify selling your ridiculous hardware. That doesn't strike me as a good, intelligent, and honest effort. That's not efficient. That doesn't wow me. KZ2 does. GT5 does ( For the record, im no ps3 fan) And those games are running on a super piece of shit notebook gpu from 2005!!

So enougth of this bullshit. ENOUGH! YOU WANT ME TO BUY YOUR STUPID HARDWARE? WOW ME. USE WHAT I HAVE FOR A FUKING CHANGE. PUT SOME FUCKING EFFORT ON IT. HIGHER ANTI ALIASING AND HIGER RESOLUTION IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT ANYMORE. IM NOT ASKING FOR MUCH. 720P AND 30FPS IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
JUST TAKE WHATS LEFT AND SQUEEZE REALLY HARD. YOU KNOW? LIKE YOU FUCKS DO WITH THE CONSOLES. UNTIL THEN, FUCK YOU.
Killzone 2 wows you more than Crysis? Crysis is ten times the game Killzone 2 is as far as I'm concerned. It's one of the most interesting FPS experiences in years.

If what you want is 720p, 30fps, and the type of gameplay experience Killzone 2 provides, why not just play a console game? You're describing a console game. The PC has a ton of interesting experiences in many, many genres.

games that look fucking amazing in DX 10

Anno 1404 on ultra
Company of heroes on ultra
Crysis
DOW2
hello kitty adventure island mmo

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
Gravijah said:
So basically you have no reason to complain.

Yeah, I wasn't actually complaining. I think you misunderstood my misanthropic groans... it's all good as I am extremely happy with the card. I guess it does kind of suck to hear that another more powerful card is in the works for about half the cost but that's the nature of technology and PC gaming. There's always a bigger fish, there's always a cheaper solution coming down the pike, there's always something more powerful... but I love it anyway.

Wow... there sure are a lot of trolls out this morning.

Gravijah

mjolnirsbane said:
Yeah, I wasn't actually complaining. I think you misunderstood my misanthropic groans... it's all good as I am extremely happy with the card. I guess it does kind of suck to hear that another more powerful card is in the works for about half the cost but that's the nature of technology and PC gaming. There's always a bigger fish, there's always a cheaper solution coming down the pike, there's always something more powerful... but I love it anyway.

Technology is a gigantic bitch. Fuckin' huge.

Zefah said:
Because the PC is no longer the platform for big-budget explodey action games. It's just not. Crysis aside -- and Crysis is an amazing game -- that's the exception rather than the rule.

On the PC you can find tons of other types of games, in genres like real-time strategy that hardly exist on the console, to Eastern European games of all genres (including shooter) that just don't have much of a chance of being published on a console, to simulations, to casual games of ridiculous breadth, to MMOs and other heavily online experiences -- and of course, with some exceptions, you can still play those big-budget action games on the PC, they're just not going to be exclusive.

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
Zefah said:
And you wouldn't have had that option if UT66's dream world was realized.

I don't think anyone was taking him too seriously. At least I hope not.

I feel like I got my moneys worth and then some. A lot of the games I used to play with a GT7800 series are just mind-bogglingly beautiful now and smooth as taffy.

I am looking forward to seeing what DX11 is all about. DX10 still looks really good to me but that's again why I love PC gaming.

Chris Remo said:
Killzone 2 wows you more than Crysis? Crysis is ten times the game Killzone 2 is as far as I'm concerned. It's one of the most interesting FPS experiences in years.

If what you want is 720p, 30fps, and the type of gameplay experience Killzone 2 provides, why not just play a console game? You're describing a console game. The PC has a ton of interesting experiences in many, many genres.

Right the fuck on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BloodySinner said:
Yes, he does have an opinion. One that a lot of the users here and myself agree with. I believe the point he was trying to get across is that the PC rarely gets the big blockbuster-like games that the consoles tend to have frequently. The ones that are constantly pushing console hardware to its limit. Rarely, do we see our PC hardware get pushed for software. So why spend the big bucks only to play Crysis (or any other PC game) at a faster and highly resolution? It doesn't change anything, it's still the same old game. Frankly, I just don't think the investment is really worth the return rate.

That's great. I just don't see why you are complaining that new hardware is constantly being released. You have the option to see hardware get pushed to its limit. Buy a console. If you just want to run PC games at 720p and 30fps you can do that with budget video cards. You don't need or want top of the line hardware, so why do you think this stuff is even applicable to you?

There is an audience for this stuff. There is an audience who likes to run existing games in extremely high resolutions, fast frame rates and with amazing image quality that you cannot get anywhere else. If there wasn't an audience then Nvidia and ATI wouldn't be releasing this stuff.

You only stand to benefit from Nvidia and ATI's constant releases of hardware as the new technologies will eventually trickle down the closed hardware environments (consoles) that you seem to prefer.

There are plenty of blockbuster games on the PC, but currently a lot of those are shared releases with the consoles. Valve and Blizzard are pretty much the only two companies that I can think of who still release PC exclusives with massive budgets (although Valve has been releasing their stuff on the consoles as well now) and their new releases are most definitely blockbuster events, although their games usually don't push cutting-edge hardware to the limit.

Crysis and Crysis Warhead are two fairly recent examples of PC exclusives that pushed high-end hardware to the limit. They sold fairly well, but obviously they didn't sell enough because Crytek seems to be pushing their next game for the consoles rather than trying to max out what modern PC hardware can do.

Regardless of that, if you want the best possible experience for multiplatform games, then having a high-end PC is where it is at. Think of the big upcoming multi-platform releases. Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Rage, Splinter Cell Conviction, Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, etc... All of these games are going to be amazingly better on the PC if you have high end hardware.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Remo said:
Because the PC is no longer the platform for big-budget explodey action games. It's just not. Crysis aside -- and Crysis is an amazing game -- that's the exception rather than the rule.

On the PC you can find tons of other types of games, in genres like real-time strategy that hardly exist on the console, to Eastern European games of all genres (including shooter) that just don't have much of a chance of being published on a console, to simulations, to casual games of ridiculous breadth, to MMOs and other heavily online experiences -- and of course, with some exceptions, you can still play those big-budget action games on the PC, they're just not going to be exclusive.

Oh I am primarily a PC gamer. I was just saying that one of the reasons that we don't get very many PC games that push cutting-edge hardware to the limits these days is because most companies who make the bigger budget games are focusing on the consoles which at this point are vastly inferior to high-end PC hardware. This means we get a lot of upgraded console ports which usually run amazing on mid to upper-end hardware.

The PC is my primary gaming platform because it is so open ended and there are so many different types of games that you can play in addition to all of the more mainstream console stuff.

Chris Remo said:

Agreed. But I think the feeling that a lot of people have (myself included) is that the top end hardware is designed to bring out the best of those big budget, Crysis type games. In an FPS, racing game, or a game along those lines graphics are crucial, however I personally don't mind so much having to play an RTS or TBS with medium or low graphics settings on.

Whereas I used to feel a constant need to upgrade my PC to keep up with the latest and greatest, I just don't see any games coming on the horizon that I need a cutting edge rig for (in my case, I'm comfortable playing Rage, CoD, etc. with less impressive visuals on a console). That's just my opinion, of course.

Firestorm

mikekennyb said:
Agreed. But I think the feeling that a lot of people have (myself included) is that the top end hardware is designed to bring out the best of those big budget, Crysis type games. In an FPS, racing game, or a game along those lines graphics are crucial, however I personally don't mind so much having to play an RTS or TBS with medium or low graphics settings on.

Whereas I used to feel a constant need to upgrade my PC to keep up with the latest and greatest, I just don't see any games coming on the horizon that I need a cutting edge rig for (in my case, I'm comfortable playing Rage, CoD, etc. with less impressive visuals on a console). That's just my opinion, of course.
Which you could get with an 8800GT. PC technology moves faster than console, but there's no reason you have to upgrade with it. That's just for those who do. UT99 was bitching that nVidia, ATi, and Intel weren't developing games that take advantage of them or something. It's like he thought they were like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. These guys are hardware companies. Not software. They don't have exclusive games that only play on their own card.

zoku88

mjolnirsbane said:
You know... I don't think I got taken or anything. This card is on backorder all over the place and is still priced around $400.

http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/products/details.aspx?PID=8159171&rsmainid=ND0130014

http://computershopper.com/graphics-cards/reviews/xfx-geforce-gtx-285-black-edition

So, I'm still happy with current technology.
You're actually talking about your choice of cards, not if you paid too much of a price for the card you actually bought.

EDIT: As in, we're saying you could've bought a $200 card that played Empire well.

(Maybe even the $100 4850 can do it.)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
consolesareruininggaming-1.gif

I love this .gif.

Anyways, PC is the home for bringing out the absolute best in games. It may not have the bigger budget, tech pushing games it used to, but any game that makes it over to the PC canl be pushed to the absolute highest levels of framerate, AA, AF and any damn thing else you can ask for.

You think Batman: AA looks good on consoles? Try it on PC. Name any console game, put the game on PC and the difference will be astonding resulting in better gameplay without sacrifices. Period. As good as Uncharted 2 looks, just imagine it on PC where it can be pushed to the limit. Killzone 2? Let my PC have its way with it. It goes on and on. Call of Duty? Bioshock? Who wouldn't like to see what Halo 3 would be like on PC. Even Gran Turismo 5. Imagine that title with AA + AF cracked up fully at 60 fps+.

PC is the home to so many gaming genres, it's disgusting. All (damn near anyways) of them can be played to to their fullest potential. That's the beauty of the PC and why I love it.

All of this said with much love for my PS3

FireFly

mjolnirsbane said:
You know... I don't think I got taken or anything. This card is on backorder all over the place and is still priced around $400.
See where it is in a couple of months.

Blackface

Banned
This thread has taken a turn for the stupid.

1. Graphic cards are not just for playing games, which is why when they get tested, you have a wide variety of different benchmarks available. They are used for different tasks, even though PC gaming is a priority for may of them.

2. Many games do take full advantage of the hardware available to them, but PC developers also need to make the games scale with different type of machines. The amount of people that own the top of the line equipment are few and far between. All you need to do is head to a developers PC technical support forum and it's easy to see the mass majority of people playing games aren't doing so with the most up to date cards and CPU's.

3. Why is anyone angry that the PC is constantly getting improved hardware? Do you need to upgrade every time? no, of course not. However it's an options for those who want to. New cards are not useless, and they perform many times better then older ones. They offer better visuals at higher resolutions. They improve with other computer technology. The new generation of cards will support DX11, higher resolution monitors which are now becoming dirt cheap, and offer support for HDMI and Display port. They have new tech inside of them for HD movies, rendering and various other things people in this thread are not even taking into account. New cards are not just about more performance, they are about more features.

4. Some people in this thread seem to be mad at NVIDIA and ATI for developers not taking advantage of their products. It simply does not make financial sense for any developer to create a game that takes full advantage of a specific series and line of cards coupled with other high end hardware. Not enough people have this equipment. What they do, do is offer scalable settings so those who are lucky enough to have the latest gear can get the mot out of it.

5. Killzone 2 is garbage compared to many PC games out there. It's visuals are also not on-par with that of Crysis. I also read the argument someone made of "why don't developers take advantage of the hardware and make a game at 30 FPS, 720p resolution". They then dared to say they have been playing PC games for a long time. 30 FPS @ 720 looks like fucking dog shit on a computer. Even on a 1680X1050 monitor changing the resolution to 720p makes you want to vomit. Lets also not take into account 1900X1200 and 1080p monitors are starting to become dirt cheap. They are also different aspect ratios, some are 16:9, others 16:10. You put a 30FPS, 720p image on even a $199 1080p monitor and be prepared to puke all over yourself.

6. The reason developers can get so much out of consoles is because they are designed specifically for gaming and gaming only. Computers are not, and are using a lot of the power just to maintain themselves, thanks to not only PC programming but the OS itself.

7. Like someone said, PC tech evolves quickly, but you don't need to upgrade with it. Personally I still use an E8400, 4gb of DDR2 ram and a 9800GTX with a 1680X1050 monitor. I completely skipped this generation of cards, and I normally upgrade every other generation. I still got to play every game I wanted, on max settings or close to it. However, if you compared my PC to one with a 4890 @ 1080p it would be night and day. So someone who did decide to upgrade for their moneys worth, and so did I considering I was able to skip a generation of cards and do everything I wanted. My next upgrade will be to an I5 machine, running one of ATI's new cards and a 1080P monitor.

If someone wants to get into a real debate with me about graphic cards let me know, we can break down every single feature they provide and I will show you why it makes sense for ATI and NVIDIA to keep evolving.

Zyzyxxz

hmm shit that is soon!

Oh my the price of a used 4870 will drop too!

Crap maybe I shouldn't even bother selling mine...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Kintaro said:
All of this said with much love for my PS3

i'm not trying to be inflammatory here, since we're apparently on the same page. but here goes:

what worth do you find in your ps3?

personally, i can't stomach the idea of paying for a piece of hardware just for the right to play licensed exclusives. it feels like a ransom at the best of times. and to salt the wound a little, you have to play them at half the iq and performance that you are used to.

is it purely a convenience box? my monitor is my tv, so there would be very little convenience to me. a portable blu ray player? i guess this would make the most sense to me, despite the obvious solution being a blu ray drive.

give me a little insight in this brief foray into open mindedness i'm having.

Firestorm

I own all the consoles + now a PC running a GTX 275 and Q9550.

The exclusives is the biggest thing. I got a PS3 mainly for Metal Gear Solid 4 and co-op with my PS3 owning friends. 360 I got... well I got it because I won it, but I play it mostly for the exclusive jRPGs and co-op games like Halo with my friends. The Wii I got for Nintendo franchises. PC gets most use as a multiplayer machine since that's the one platform almost everyone I know owns.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Trax416 said:
This thread has taken a turn for the stupid.

5. Killzone 2 is garbage compared to many PC games out there. It's visuals are also not on-par with that of Crysis. I also read the argument someone made of "why don't developers take advantage of the hardware and make a game at 30 FPS, 720p resolution". They then dared to say they have been playing PC games for a long time. 30 FPS @ 720 looks like fucking dog shit on a computer. Even on a 1680X1050 monitor changing the resolution to 720p makes you want to vomit. Lets also not take into account 1900X1200 and 1080p monitors are starting to become dirt cheap. They are also different aspect ratios, some are 16:9, others 16:10. You put a 30FPS, 720p image on even a $199 1080p monitor and be prepared to puke all over yourself.

I agree with your other points, but with that comment you are not exactly helping the discussion.

ghst said:
is it purely a convenience ? boxmy monitor is my tv, so there would be very little convenience to me. a portable blu ray player? i guess this would make the most sense to me, despite the obvious solution being a blu ray drive.

give me a little insight in this brief foray into open mindedness i'm having.

You answered your own question. You need to be smart in order to play PC games, that's the barrier to entry. Judging by the amount of people who plug their PS3 or 360 into their plasma displays using composite cables, or using the "HD" switch on the 360's component cables and leaving it set to glorious 480p, the mass market isn't capable of gaming on a pc. Maybe once windows starts coming with a standard malware removal tool, and all drivers update automatically (windows 7 seems to actually be doing a pretty respectable job with this) the market can grow some more. Until then, it's gonna be limited to the hardcore and friends/family of the hardcore. Hell, 15% of the time, even I can't get games to play on my pc properly and I've been an avid fan of the platform since '97.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
TouchMyBox said:
You answered your own question. You need to be smart in order to play PC games, that's the barrier to entry. Judging by the amount of people who plug their PS3 or 360 into their plasma displays using composite cables, or using the "HD" switch on the 360's component cables and leaving it set to glorious 480p, the mass market isn't capable of gaming on a pc. Maybe once windows starts coming with a standard malware removal tool, and all drivers update automatically (windows 7 seems to actually be doing a pretty respectable job with this) the market can grow some more. Until then, it's gonna be limited to the hardcore and friends/family of the hardcore. Hell, 15% of the time, even I can't get games to play on my pc properly and I've been an avid fan of the platform since '97.

i asked the question to kintaro, not to retard peasants to whom installing a stick-a-brick video card or balancing a mousepad on their lap is beyond the realm of comprehension.

(edit: please direct all vitriol in this post to the subject matter, not your person, my good man.)

Firestorm

I wish PC games' "Optimize" options actually worked. If I can turn everything up to the fullest and run at 120fps and your options are all on mid, that isn't "optimized"! Should be a way to just run something to have it figure it out the best settings on your platform for a consistent 60 or 30 fps at your chosen resolution.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ghst said:
i'm not trying to be inflammatory here, since we're apparently on the same page. but here goes:

what worth do you find in your ps3?.

Well, to put it simply I enjoy the games Sony puts out. Their 1st party games are all very good quality games. Sadly, they aren't on PC. I also enjoy the Blu Ray player as well. To top it off, there is nothing on PC that matches MLB 09 for baseball.

So, in short. Exclusives, blu ray. MLB. MS' 1st party stuff doesn't interest me and I either rent 3rd party games or buy them discounted on PC along with PC exclusive stuff.

I'm a PS3PC guy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cheeto said:
Or can't get at all...(thanks EA)
Yeah, once EA dropped legit support (and ultimately all support), that was the end of it. But their last few years of "efforts" didn't leave people wantin' more, that's for sure.

Durante

ghst said:
what worth do you find in your ps3?

personally, i can't stomach the idea of paying for a piece of hardware just for the right to play licensed exclusives. it feels like a ransom at the best of times. and to salt the wound a little, you have to play them at half the iq and performance that you are used to.
I'm primarily a PC gamer as well, and I own all the consoles only for that "right to play licensed exclusives". If I had the choice I'd obviously rather play them on my silent, more powerful, stable and multifunctional PC. I was supremely annoyed at that 15 or so years ago when I first bought a console for its exclusives but I've just accepted it now (with maybe some residual resentment). As a "hardcore" gamer I find it preferable to reading about great games I'm unable to play.

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
zoku88 said:
You're actually talking about your choice of cards, not if you paid too much of a price for the card you actually bought.

EDIT: As in, we're saying you could've bought a $200 card that played Empire well.

(Maybe even the $100 4850 can do it.)

Sure I could have played it with a lesser card. Heck, I could play it with the card I had which was a two year old 7800 but to TRULY get the epic feel of the game and the rush of the highly enhanced graphics and the clash of the swords and the splintering of the wood on the ships and the beauty of the carnage - I felt inclined to spend a little more than I normally might have on a top of the line graphics card.

Also, I do some modding and a top of the line graphics card (as mentioned by another post) is advantageous for this sort of thing too.

So I didn't just buy the card for one game. I do have to say I am very glad I did because shredding a game in top settings is awesome, no matter what.

I probably should have just said earlier - I look forward to the new cards at great low prices... hopefully it's a trend. I doubt it.

theultimo

30FPS is horrible, why sould someone subject themself to that on PC?

At least with continuing graphics PC can always be cutting-edge.

Firestorm

theultimo said:
30FPS is horrible, why sould someone subject themself to that on PC?
Because Crysis is really, really hungry for power and 30 fps > lower than native res. I'm okay with 30 fps as long as it's CONSTANT. Framerate drops from anywhere are worse than stable 30.

theultimo

Firestorm said:
Because Crysis is really, really hungry for power and 30 fps > lower than native res. I'm okay with 30 fps as long as it's CONSTANT. Framerate drops from anywhere are worse than stable 30.
Thats true, locked 30 isn't as bad as 30 dropping.

I usually turn down details to get a respectable framerate instead of resolution though.

artist

Banned
godhandiscen said:
This.
ATI is just adding to its architecture this time, while Nvidia is using a completely new architecture. I will wait until the both companies have released and then make my choice. However, the pricing makes me extremely happy :) Thank you ATI.
I am hoping for the 5850 to surpass the GTX285 the same way the 4850 surpassed the 9800. I can only imagine the next generation of cards. SOOO SWEET.
Excuse me? If you've been following rumors, Cypress has been a radical change, much like R600 was to R520 (architecture wise not performance :lol wise).

Both AMD & Nvidia will have new architectures, for DirectX11. According to CJ, who is the the best source for these infos, Nvidia will not have anything DirectX11 this year *sob* *sob* and all they will do is rebrand current DX10.1 parts as G300 series :lol Nvidia's upto its old tactics again. Then there is a rumor that Nvidia will be doing a MEGA paper launch to spoil AMD's hard launch, so what ever rocks your boat.

Also this wasnt posted so:

HD5870 (Cypress XT): ~P15xxx / P17xxx
HD5850 (Cypress Pro): ~P1?xxx
Juniper XT ~P95xx
Redwood ~P46xx

So that would mean 5870 would give close to GTX295 performance for $300 bucks. Not bad.

Top Bottom