• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Acquires Marvel Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCQuinton

BURBANK, Calif. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Building on its strategy of delivering quality branded content to people around the world, The Walt Disney Company (DIS) has agreed to acquire Marvel Entertainment, Inc. (MVL) in a stock and cash transaction, the companies announced today.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney on August 28, 2009, Marvel shareholders would receive a total of $30 per share in cash plus approximately 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own. At closing, the amount of cash and stock will be adjusted if necessary so that the total value of the Disney stock issued as merger consideration based on its trading value at that time is not less than 40% of the total merger consideration.

Based on the closing price of Disney stock on Friday, August 28, the transaction value is $50 per Marvel share or approximately $4 billion.

“This transaction combines Marvel’s strong global brand and world-renowned library of characters including Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four and Thor with Disney’s creative skills, unparalleled global portfolio of entertainment properties, and a business structure that maximizes the value of creative properties across multiple platforms and territories,” said Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “Ike Perlmutter and his team have done an impressive job of nurturing these properties and have created significant value. We are pleased to bring this talent and these great assets to Disney.”

“We believe that adding Marvel to Disney’s unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation,” Iger said.

“Disney is the perfect home for Marvel’s fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses,” said Ike Perlmutter, Marvel’s Chief Executive Officer. “This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney’s tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world.”

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters. Mr. Perlmutter will oversee the Marvel properties, and will work directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build and further integrate Marvel’s properties.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Marvel have each approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, effectiveness of a registration statement with respect to Disney shares issued in the transaction and other customary closing conditions. The agreement will require the approval of Marvel shareholders. Marvel was advised on the transaction by BofA Merrill Lynch.

Whoa.

batbeg

Unlike most of GAF, I do not have an instant repository of shock and awe GIFs to post in wonder, but I imagine by the end of the first page of this thread, I could have as large of one as any other member.

wolviemickey.jpg

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
That is... pretty huge, right?

When will we be starting to see people in a Wolverine suite at Disney parks? :lol

gerg

Wow. Will this have any affects on how Marvel runs itself, if any?

Although if this creates a new Capcom vs. Marvel vs. Disney game, I'm all for it.

Ceres

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m373/mappster33/wolviemickey.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
No worse than
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/21klbt4.jpg

Mistouze said:

When will we be starting to see people in a Wolverine suite at Disney parks? :lol

Actually, there's a Marvel section at Islands of Adventure which is a part of Universal Studios. Since that's a Disney competitor, I wonder how that gets affected.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mistouze said:

More importantly... does this mean an end of Marvel rides at Universal parks?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
so when does Universal Studios lose it's license to the marvel properties? So many of their rides are based on Marvel characters... ouch

Doytch

Ceres said:
No worse than
21klbt4.jpg

Actually, there's a Marvel section at Islands of Adventure which is a part of Universal Studios. Since that's a Disney competitor, I wonder how that gets affected.

That Hulk is friggin adorable! :lol

Busty

Banned
Fuck me.

That's massive.

I assume that in time all Marvel Films will now be absorbed and produced by Disney's Touchstone label.

I'm actually quite stunned at this news.

Medalion

Banned
I'm hoping because of this, all Marvel blu-rays will have Disney like quality to them in video quality because there is something about Disney blu-rays thare are so fucking amazing in picture presentation. About the only good thing I can see from this, probably won't happen...heh

Potentially worst news I have read on GAF, luckily I think they're going to preserve our favorite things about Marvel...
If this means a Marvel Theme Park I support the acquisition.

Pachael

open_mouth_ said:
so when does Universal Studios lose it's license to the marvel properties? So many of their rides are based on Marvel characters... ouch

Hopefully they have very very long contracts on those licenses. That said, I don't think I can see a Wolvie rollercoaster in Anaheim that soon... :lol

aparisi2274

So how does this affect Universal's Islands of Adventure??? They have an entire section of that park dedicated to Marvel and its superheros!

Wow. One of their big money makers was that they were fully in charge of Marvel Films now, supposedly. Was that not going as well as they'd expected?

Pachael

Now that I think of it, Disney v Marvel v Capcom would be a hoot.

Or Kingdom Hearts with Marvel properties (doubt it - it'll take a while before even the Pixar ones will get in)

Busty

Banned
This could start a new era of corporate mergers and acquisitions.

Warner Bros buying Dreamworks Animation and possibly MGM.

Paramount and Universal merging.

Gary Whitta and Lynsey Lohan getting married.

Cats and dogs living together.....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This still wouldn't put franchises like Spiderman or X-Men back with Marvel Films, will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom