• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Boston changes name back to Irrational Games

Gribbix

www.irrationalgames.com
o03Tx.jpg

The site has a countdown that is set to expire in ~4 days. Although according to GameInformer, it looks like it's a total site relaunch and not a new game announcement.
GI said:
The site is currently just a countdown timer, but soon you'll experience an array of cool community features, insight into the game creation process, and never-before-seen tidbits about games like System Shock 2, Freedom Force, and BioShock.
GI will also have a month-long feature about Irrational.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see any confirmation of a name change? Good for them, though.

I'm really looking forward to this supposed community based website launch. Ken is one of the most interesting, charismatic people in the industry, and Irrational are one of the most talented devs in the industry. I expect great things.

Shawn Elliott needs a podcast there too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
System Shock 2 for XBL/PSN = Confirmed.
Freedom Force 3 = Confirmed
System Shock 3 for PC only = Confirmed

Sigh :(

Ten-Song

They didn't even release a game under the 2K Boston name did they? Or were they 2K Boston by the time they got the PS3 version of BioShock out the door?

Either way, going back to their old name is a good move. "Publisher named branch of developers in city" is such a lame way to name a development studio.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ten-Song said:
They didn't even release a game under the 2K Boston name did they? Or were they 2K Boston by the time they got the PS3 version of BioShock out the door?

Either way, going back to their old name is a good move. "Publisher named branch of developers in city" is such a lame way to name a development studio.
they were 2K Boston(/Australia?) when Bioshock was released on 360/PC.

MoFuzz

Sooo, Bioshock was really the only title they released under the 2K Boston moniker right?

I lurved me some SWAT 4, Freedom Force and System Shock back in the day, so if this has any remote chance of sequels for those franchises, I'm all for it.

Also, countdown to no new game announcement = cocktease.

Ten-Song

Rez said:
they were 2K Boston(/Australia?) when Bioshock was released on 360/PC.

Oh yeah! Now I remember, the name change happened like super close to the launch of BioShock. And I remember thinking it was stupid then, too. Also I was incorrect that Boston handled the PS3 version of BioShock. Looking it up, that was 2K Marin. So I was pretty much off the mark completely.

Baha

Ten-Song said:

Rockstar says "Ouch man, why you gotta hate?"

Rockstar Japan/Leeds/Lincoln/London/New England/North/San Diego/Toronto/Vancouver oh and Vienna for 3 years.

Ten-Song

Baha said:
Rockstar says "Ouch man, why you gotta hate?"

Rockstar Japan/Leeds/Lincoln/London/New England/North/San Diego/Toronto/Vancouver oh and Vienna for 3 years.

I think it's kind of lame with that example too. Though, I understand why publishers/devs do it. Better for marketing to establish a brand rather than unique studios.

Rez said:
Shawn Elliott needs a podcast there too.
If they'd let him talk about their own games. ;)

I'm hoping some news about their new game comes soon, and not just this site relaunch. Although I find many aspects of Bioshock vastly overrated, I can appreciate how masterfully crafted it was in others, so I'm still very interested in what they're making.

Acosta

HELL YEAH!

It's pretty stupid, but I'm really happy about it. I complained with the stupidity of transforming a studio with a solid history in "Generic studio of 2K property" and I love to see it reverted.

I'm trying really hard to not thinking about their next project because I inevitably think on X-com and I know I will be disappointed in one way or another (not being X-Com related or worse, being a X-Com FPS game). But whatever it is I'm fairly sure I will be excited about it.

SHIIIET yeah.

VICTORY.

Now go back to making killer games. Bioshock was cool for a minute, but gimme a SWAT 5 or Freedom Force or something else top shelf. I'd even take bastardized X-com if you did it right.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
WanderingWind said:
System Shock 2 for XBL/PSN = Confirmed.
Freedom Force 3 = Confirmed
System Shock 3 for PC only = Confirmed

Sigh :(
I'm still holding out for System Shock 2 hopefully making it's way to Steam. I rather not buy a 50$+ disc only copy =[

Isn't it an EA game though?

So... is it only 2K Boston that is now Irrational? What about some of the other 2K studios with former Irrational staff?

2cdvpkx.jpg

I can dream. Shodan is probably the reason I get pushed around by women all the time, so maybe it's for the best.

shintoki said:
I'm still holding out for System Shock 2 hopefully making it's way to Steam. I rather not buy a 50$+ disc only copy =[

Isn't it an EA game though?

Yes :(

voltron

red shoe paul said:
Aww, I wanted to apply for 2K Boston when I got out of College. I don't want to work for some stupid name now.

You better not be serious.

Irrational Games rapes 2K Boston as far as names go. 1000x better.

Akia

Looks like Rockstar isn't the only in-house studio with some sway. I really hope they hit their next game out of the park.

voltron

Salazar said:
It's a shame that letter is so poorly written.

Yeah I had a very hard time getting through it. It must have been someone doing their best to sound professional or something. Unfortunately the failed, hard.

Clear and concise is all that is necessary.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
voltron said:
Holy shit! Is there a thread for this?
Not that I know of, but I guess it is starting to be discussed in the Red Dead thread; it probably does merit its own thread.

Salazar said:
The writing is really baffling; I don't know why they decided to be a fake lawyer.

Hugbot

Hooray! Awesome for them, but terrible for my wallet since it reminds me I still haven't played System Shock 2. Finally about to break down and buy a copy off of eBay.

I was just getting over the Steam sale.

Davey Cakes

DeBurgo said:
well, for one the studio isn't even really in Boston, it's in nearby Quincy, MA
Yeah. I actually know exactly where they are. The building and everything. See, I live in Quincy, MA so it's kind of cool to know a developer is right there.

Curufinwe

Salazar said:

"Without time to recuperate and no efforts made to alleviate the stress of such conditions would procure on an employee after a period time, serious health concerns."

They desperately need to get someone to rewrite the whole thing for them.

mrpeabody said:
Why aren't Thief, System Shock, and Freedom Force on Steam? Is it EA being a butt?
Freedom Force is on Steam. EA retained the rights to System Shock
and has already tried to make a sequel that they called Dead Space
and I think Eidos owns Thief these days. SS2 needs a lot of coaxing to run these days due to some quirks of the engine and copy protection, and I'd assume other Dark Engine games are the same. EA probably aren't able to release it without modification and either can't or won't bother to do what needs doing.

Top Bottom