• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Boston changes name back to Irrational Games

voltron

Curufinwe said:
"Without time to recuperate and no efforts made to alleviate the stress of such conditions would procure on an employee after a period time, serious health concerns."

They desperately need to get someone to rewrite the whole thing for them.

:lol

This is kinda mean, but I can imagine a house wife sitting at home writing that up. She was just nominated by the other girls in the committee as the one to write the letter due to her self-confessed superior writing skills.

So she sits down, pours a healthy glass of red, and gets to work writing the best damn letter anyone has ever seen. When people read it they'll think it was written by a Barrister - or a judge.

:lol ok that was mean.

Poimandres said:
So... is it only 2K Boston that is now Irrational? What about some of the other 2K studios with former Irrational staff?
irrational are obviously trying to distance themselves from the clusterfuck those other people are cooking up, why would the change go for them aswell? hehe

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Have any hints at all been uncovered about their new game? You'd hope this name change points to one of their awesome older properties, but you never know.

How about a SS2 remake in HD?

Actually screw that, it would probably suck. How about just releasing the source to SS2 so fans can make a decent source port for modern Windows?

~Kinggi~

Banned
cuyahoga said:
Except Rockstar employees don't have sway.
Horrendous. I just got out of a job that was like that. 12 hours a day plus Saturdays and even Sundays sometimes. No overtime pay or health benefits, and guilt trips galore if i needed time off.

Fuckers should be shot dead for destroying those peoples lives.

faceless007 said:

Actually screw that, it would probably suck. How about just releasing the source to SS2 so fans can make a decent source port for modern Windows?

Fans have basically already done it, but I don't think that EA would want to use their work as part of it is removing all of the copy-protection (the original implementation of which was so invasive that it was actually the main reason it had so many problems running in Windows XP). I played through SS2 several times this year at 1680x1050 on Windows 7.

Salazar

GAF could quite handily work as a writing and editing consultancy for aggrieved video game studio employees and their families.

In return for gossip and a modicum of influence on current and future projects, or contributions via Paypal, the internet's premier games messageboard could put together coherent and forceful letters of complaint.

Rlan

It seems every 5 years or so, when new management comes in at the top they decide to rename the studios under them, and in another 5 years they revert back. See: EA Studios constantly changing back and forth from "EA ____" to stand out names, or even Sega.

It's a war between "We need everything under the one banner" philosophy, and the "we need to have teams get their own identity" philosophy.

Is 2K Australia / Irrational Australia also changing their name back?

WanderingWind said:
System Shock 2 for XBL/PSN = Confirmed.
Freedom Force 3 = Confirmed
System Shock 3 for PC only = Confirmed

Sigh :(
Is this love that I'm feeling? :D

Good for the name change (if it is indeed that), will check the site once countdown is over.
HK-47 said:
Thats a pretty poor substitute
Actually, I wouldn't mind if Levine did some consulting for EA/Redwood Shores and integrated some advanced RPG elements into the Dead Space franchise effectively turning it into a modern day system shock.
VaLiancY said:
I'd get on my knees for that and a new Republic Commando game. :D
Fixed that for me :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gravijah said:
I always read it in my mind as Hunter Killer-47, so I never really got the whole HK-47=AK-47 part.

Oh lol. Yeah sounding like the most prolific gun in the world is an intended reference.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FunkyPajamas said:
Is this love that I'm feeling? :D

Good for the name change (if it is indeed that), will check the site once countdown is over.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if Levine did some consulting for EA/Redwood Shores and integrated some advanced RPG elements into the Dead Space franchise effectively turning it into a modern day system shock.

Fixed that for me :D

Eh the RPG element werent what made SS2 a great game. Nor what made it far more scary.

HK-47 said:
Eh the RPG element werent what made SS2 a great game. Nor what made it far more scary.
No, you're right, but apparently it wasn't the creative mind behind SS2 either, if you look at Bioshock. In my opinion, of course.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Curufinwe said:
"Without time to recuperate and no efforts made to alleviate the stress of such conditions would procure on an employee after a period time, serious health concerns."

They desperately need to get someone to rewrite the whole thing for them.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Vorador

Banned
Gravijah said:
I always read it in my mind as Hunter Killer-47, so I never really got the whole HK-47=AK-47 part.

Wait what?

Wasn't he a Protocol Droid? *mind blown*
2gsioeb.jpg

charlequin said:
Is there a name for this project?

It's really a set of projects that have been combined by some dedicated chaps under the imaginative name SSTool. If you check out this page you should be able to get everything you need to play the game again in high-rez glory.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Going to guess this rebranding is a subtle way to build hype on their present project and we can expect their next game (X-Com?) to be revealed in the next few months.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FunkyPajamas said:
No, you're right, but apparently it wasn't the creative mind behind SS2 either, if you look at Bioshock. In my opinion, of course.

True true.

mrpeabody

I'm impressed at how well SS2 and Thief run in Windows 7.

Dead Space steals more from System Shock than from any other game, even Resident Evil. It was a better game than Bioshock and the best successor to the Shock legacy in this generation
imho

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
mrpeabody said:
I'm impressed at how well SS2 and Thief run in Windows 7.

Dead Space steals more from System Shock than from any other game, even Resident Evil. It was a better game than Bioshock and the best successor to the Shock legacy in this generation
imho

Of course that may be because it was set to be SS3, but we'll probably never know if that was true or not

Baha said:
Swat 5 please.
This.

Whatever you want to be called is fine. If going back to 'Irrational Games' makes you feel better . . . fine. Just crank out some good games. The sooner the better.

And how about throwing us a bone and letting us know what is in the pipeline?

MNC

faceless007 said:

Oh, but there is.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=392.0

Vista support, widescreen support, every fix there is and I'm running the game beautifully in 1280x800. I should make a new thread probably.
Edit: NO JIM JONG BONGS JAR JAR AVATAR DON'T STEAL MY THUNDER

It took me so long to find that page but it is the best system shock 2 page ever. More people need to appreciate this gem.

diss

Banned
I liked Dead Space a lot but I don't consider it to be anything like a successor to System Shock 2. System Shock 2 was scary as fuck and Dead Space was not. If you did find Dead Space to be terrifying then you probably don't want to play SS2...

Also Irrational, please just tell us wtf you're making -_-

MNC said:
Oh, but there is.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=392.0

Vista support, widescreen support, every fix there is and I'm running the game beautifully in 1280x800. I should make a new thread probably.
Edit: NO JIM JONG BONGS JAR JAR AVATAR DON'T STEAL MY THUNDER

It took me so long to find that page but it is the best system shock 2 page ever. More people need to appreciate this gem.

:lol

I just Googled "system shock 2 windows 7" a few months ago, and, for possibly the first time in recorded history, Yahoo! Answers held the key.

mrpeabody

I've been meaning to write up a list of similarities between System Shock 2 and Dead Space. This thread is as good a reason as any.

Gentlemen, I give you...Dead Shock 2.

Dead Shock 2 is a gritty action game about a mute hero who finds himself on a wrecked hulk of a once-proud spaceship. The crew have been mutated into horrible half-human hybrids, and he must fight to survive and escape. As he explores the ship, he finds audio logs which slowly reveal the nature of the horror he faces, and also expose a complex backstory. (One particularly chilling log is left by a crew member who, despairing of becoming a space zombie, turns his gun on himself.) He discovers that the problems began when an away team landed on the planet below and brought an infection back onto the ship.

Our hero battles his way through the various levels of the vessel. It's designed in a realistic style, with offices, beds, mess halls, and toilets; it seems like a place where people actually lived. There's a tram system for getting around and a basketball court for exercise. He progresses through the medical deck, the engineering deck, the hydroponics deck where food is grown, and the crew quarters. Late in the game, he even leaves the ship and ventures onto a military vessel which is attached to it.

He faces many challenges as he fights for his life. He must repair a communications array to signal for help. He must reactivate the ship's engines. And there is an organic mass, a hideous fleshy monstrosity, which is growing out of control and enveloping the walls of the ship, and which only worsens as the game goes on. All he can do is slow its progress, by injecting a poison into the ship's ventilation system.

But not everything is against him. He has the power to pull objects from long distances, bringing unreachable items within his grasp. Certain of his devices can be completely recharged for free at power stations. As the game progresses, he expands his inventory and improves his weapons using precious upgrade items. And he hears a friendly voice on his radio, guiding him and telling him what to do...but can he trust her?

At the end of the game, the evil menace is destroyed. An escape shuttle flies off into space, and the man at the controls breathes a sigh of relief that his nightmare is finally over. But in the very last seconds, we see ominous proof that evil has survived…

MNC

mrpeabody said:
I've been meaning to make up a list of similarities between System Shock 2 and Dead Space. This thread is as good a reason as any.

I'm scared to read as I am in the middle of System shock. Any spoilers?
I'm at the Rickenbacker

mrpeabody said:
I've been meaning to write up a list of similarities between System Shock 2 and Dead Space. This thread is as good a reason as any.

Good summary. Personally I like to imagine that DS was intended as a remake rather than a shameless facsimile. Then, when the game started to take shape, EA saw the potential for a new franchise to exploit with DLC, comic books, DVDs, on-rails shooters... etc. Not that he'd be at liberty to say one way or another, but isn't there a developer from Visceral on GAF?

jim-jam bongs said:
It's really a set of projects that have been combined by some dedicated chaps under the imaginative name SSTool.

Awesome, thanks!

HK-47 said:
Of course that may be because it was set to be SS3, but we'll probably never know if that was true or not

It would actually be extremely difficult to convince me that it isn't based on something that was at one point intended to be SS3, especially given the rest of Visceral's portfolio.

jim-jam bongs said:
Good summary. Personally I like to imagine that DS was intended as a remake rather than a shameless facsimile. Then, when the game started to take shape, EA saw the potential for a new franchise to exploit with DLC, comic books, DVDs, on-rails shooters... etc.

My guess is that they prototyped it and did pre-production as SS3 but then as part of EA's "new IP" push they decided right near the beginning of real development to call it a new IP and that wound up leading to more changes to make it what it is today.

I think the plot similarities between Dead Space and SS are much more justifiable than the ones between Bioshock and SS. :lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Give me FREEDOM FORCE 3!

It's one of the rare multiple super-hero games that's actually about having different superpowers!

I would definitely be on board for a new Freedom Force. I loved the original, but didn't play Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich just because I've never been big on WWII movies or games. It just feels like the ultimate cop-out when looking for villains.

And who wouldn't want to play as Dr. Manbot again?

Top Bottom