• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Thomper posted it in the other thread first, but I think this is thread worthy.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-says-he-wont-do-tonight-show-following-leno/

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

:(

BrandNew said:
He doesn't say he's quitting, not yet anyway. It's NBC's turn to show their hand, or Leno's.

exactly. he's not quitting, he's telling NBC to either say 'fuck you leno' or 'fuck you conan'. NBC can't have it's cake and eat it too. the ball is in NBC's court now.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
But he hasn't quit. He said he won't do it at midnight. Thread title misleading.

gdt

You guys are kidding me. Right?

This whole thing was to get Conan to walk in the first place. So now...he walks.

MrPliskin

Banned
Sucks so much. Conan was twice the host Leno was, because he actually had GOOD humor. Hopefully it pans out for him.

Voltron64

:(

6fzct3.jpg

Davidion

Ugh. I only get to watch Conan occasionally nowadays, but this sucks.

Who the hell would even give a shit about Leno and Letterman if not for their ongoing (no longer existent?) and completely uninteresting squabble?

yeah, he doesn't say he's quitting, just that he won't accept moving his show to 12:05. Which means NBC will probably fire him, because they're dipshits.

Honestly, what kind of dirt does Zucker have on Immelt that he can keep his job after running what was once a competitive network into the ground, then setting it on fire and pissing on the ashes?

gdt5016 said:

This whole thing was to get Conan to walk in the first place. So now...he walks.

That may or may not be true, but we'll see what NBC's course of action is. I hope that they reconsider.

Brinbe

Holy shit... Honestly did not expect such directness from Conan himself. But it was clear how this has affected him from watching his past few shows. Whatever happens now, at least it makes all his new shows must-watch TV, just to see what he'll say/do next.

gdt5016 said:

Except no we're not kidding and no he hasn't walked.

Its like posting a CONFIRMED thread before its been CONFIRMED.

esbern

lol @ local news actually giving better ratings than Leno's show. what a piece of shit experiment that turned out to be.

Well this sets it up perfectly for NBC... let Conan go and put Leno back where he was.. What a nightmare they have over at that network.

I enjoyed conan much more before the Tonight Show but I watched many a night to support him.. They really are not patient at all considering what changes were happening.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sucks.

Not unexpected, and probably the best move for him and NBC.

Fox would make sense, but they have no 9:00 lead in either. Their affiliates would freak if they lost the 9:00 and 10:30 timeslots for their own programming.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Conan must go to FOX. His audience will follow him.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Brinbe said:
Holy shit... Honestly did not expect such directness from Conan himself. But it was clear how this has affected him from watching his past few shows. Whatever happens now, at least it makes all his new shows must-watch TV, just to see what he'll say/do next.
Gonna be a a true clown show. I cannot wait lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I actually hoped the jay thing would work. All these shows are funny but they are on far too late.

C4Lukins

gdt5016 said:

He has not walked yet. If anything it looks like he is going to force them to fire him and pay out his contract before he will leave. The thread title is not accurate because the ball is still in NBC's court at this time.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Is it really that hard for the Internet to understand that normal people don't find Conan funny? If they did, he'd still have his show. This isn't Jay's fault. NBC is fucking him a little bit because they didn't exactly give him a real shot, but the low ratings falls on Conan and only Conan.

Wow Leno is proving to act more and more like the weasel he sounds and looks like. At least Conan cares about his work and respects something other than his ego.

Leno must have turned to tossing salads, because I can't believe that NBC would do this just for the standard blowjobs that he's had to give them for the last 17+ years.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Jibril said:
Conan must go to FOX. His audience will follow him.

Fox affiliates get to run their own programming at 9:00 and 10:30. Even if Fox signs him, a huge chunk of the affiliates will not show him.

Gio_CoD said:
Is it really that hard for the Internet to understand that normal people don't find Conan funny? If they did, he'd still have his show. This isn't Jay's fault. NBC is fucking him a little bit because they didn't exactly give him a real shot, but the low ratings falls on Conan and only Conan.

Normal people, wtf does that even mean? You mean old people, right?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gio_CoD said:
Normal people did not find Jay funny enough to watch at ten :lol :lol gtfowitalldatolebullshit

Gio_CoD said:

Leno's ratings were good because the primetime ratings were good. 10PM hour feeds the local news, which feeds the tonight show. That's why everyone past Leno's 10PM slot has seen there ratings go in the shitter.

StoOgE said:
Fox affiliates get to run their own programming at 9:00 and 10:30. Even if Fox signs him, a huge chunk of the affiliates will not show him.

If that's the case why do affiliates even bother running anything the network provides?

bucklam66

He should sign a contract with FOX for a dollar a year and force NBC to pay him to do a show on another network. I'm sure NBC lawyers would loophole their way out of it though.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
He'll get destroyed by Leno and Letterman.

What about Comedy Central?

Conan going is just.. :(

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Conan didn't quit! He gave NBC (and Leno) the ultimatum! Terrifyingly bad thread title when you could have done a pun on the previous thread title. :(

sangreal

Gio_CoD said:

I don't find Conan that funny, but this doesn't really have anything to do with Conan's ratings. They aren't moving Jay back because Conan is losing to Letterman -- they are doing it because the affiliates are rejecting Leno at 10 and the network doesn't want to lose him. But as far as ratings go, they screwed Conan over by putting Leno on earlier which leeched guests and provided a poor lead-in to late-night.

StoOgE said:

I'm certain I read an article in which a Fox executive stated that they have an agreement with their affiliates in place that would allow them to launch a late-night talk show.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gio_CoD said:
Gio_CoD
CAN YOU STOP MAKING JOKE POST URKEL?
(Today, 03:43 PM)
Reply | Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom