• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Scarlet

conanisablackman.gif

I still have about the last 2 weeks of Conan on dvr..should rewatch them before he premieres on TBS.

scoobs

I think part of it has to do with everyone hating NBC now and the other part is that NBC in general has just been sucking it up ratings-wise recently. I hate to say it, but its not entirely Leno's fault for his bad ratings... NBC has lost a ton of viewers in the last few years.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Remember when Leno was saying the Tonight Show's 'bad' ratings were the fault of the host and the show was losing money? Turns out he wasn't bullshitting after all, he just wasn't talking about Conan. He was seeing his own future!

Seraphis Cain said:
So um...anyone hear that Fox started up their own late night talk show?

The Kilborn File.

Yep. Kilborn's back.

Holy shit this is amazing!

I used to love watching this guy and Conan as well. He always invited supermodels and/or hot actresses onto the show just to hit on them :lol

Then he disappeared off the air for absolutely no reason :lol

Gui_PT

Shaneus said:
It may be wrong to enjoy hearing this news, but it really is fucking awesome. As humble as Conan is, you can't help but think that he's loving hearing this shit too.

It's things like this that make me think Karma really does exist.

Conan must be loving this. You think he'll make any jokes about it when he gets his show?

Shaneus

Depending on what his show turns out to be... but almost definitely yes. Very tongue-in-cheek, very sly but not at all subtle. I don't know whether it would count as defamation or whether there was anything at all in his agreement after the 8 months (or whatever) but he definitely won't drop names.

Still far too far away before we see him again... but I have a feeling that this time off would have given his writers a massive opportunity to write and refine some of the best comedy we may ever see.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Seraphis Cain said:

The Kilborn File.

Yep. Kilborn's back.
I was just wondering the other day what happened to this guy. Left two late night shows but hasn't really done anything of note since then.

Miguel

Saw that this morning, hilarious.

I would love nothing more than to see him win all 4 Emmys, walk up with his entire staff all 4 times, and have him just stand in the background smiling.

Trurl

Banned
Monroeski said:
I was just wondering the other day what happened to this guy. Left two late night shows but hasn't really done anything of note since then.
I can't wait until he's replaced by a better host in a few years.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Matthew Gallant said:

Also from the article -

The Tonight Show still beat David Letterman in the adults-18-to-49 demo, as well as in total audience. Late Show with David Letterman also dropped to its lowest audience totals since the show's first year on the air (1993), averaging 3.3 million viewers in the second quarter this year.

Would be bigger news if just Leno was doing badly. With both shows in such a huge slump, it doesn't really mean much for Leno specifically. If he dropped while Letterman stayed even or went up, that would mean something.

Ceres

Banned
Monroeski said:

He was in Old School playing himself.

Monroeski said:
Also from the article -

Would be bigger news if just Leno was doing badly. With both shows in such a huge slump, it doesn't really mean much for Leno specifically. If he dropped while Letterman stayed even or went up, that would mean something.
It means something to advertisers. They don't care about late night wars just eyeballs on the channel. Which is what NBC cares about most.

Monroeski said:
Also from the article -

Hm I wonder if Conan leaving late night and the whole shitstorm NBC slung around has anything to do with how shitty late night is right now.

Raxus

Monroeski said:
Also from the article -

It kind of highlights how all three of the major networks are slowly dying. The best shows on TV now are on cable. It feels like a bizarro world almost.

Zoe

Seraphis Cain said:

The Kilborn File.

Yep. Kilborn's back.

I think they said on the news last night that it's only showing in test markets right now. To promote it, the Austin station is interviewing him weekly.

Zoe

vicissitudes said:
So Conan goes from possible-FOX-network-show to cable, and FOX goes from possible-Conan-late-night to Kilborn. Lose-lose.

Kilborn's show is on a 6-week trial, and the budget is laughably low. They're not putting very much effort into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom