• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night Wars - Conan's last Tonight Show was TONIGHT a long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Anyone got a link to the 60 Minutes interview or footage? I really wanna see it but 60 Minutes isn't the sort of show that normally gets uploaded to video sharing sites and such.

C4Lukins

That was rough to watch. Of course there was the lack of makeup, and the things he was not allowed to say, but just from his speech and mannerisms Conan did not seem well.

C4Lukins said:
That was rough to watch. Of course there was the lack of makeup, and the things he was not allowed to say, but just from his speech and mannerisms Conan did not seem well.

I'm sure the pain of losing what he worked so hard to obtain is still strong, but he seems to be doing rather well with the tour and finally having a new show.

B.K.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36972983/ns/today-entertainment/

NEW YORK - The late-night television wars are alive and well.

Jay Leno took a swipe at Conan O'Brien in his monologue Tuesday, two days after O'Brien's interview with "60 Minutes" aired on CBS. O'Brien told the newsmagazine that, if he were in Leno's shoes, he would not have taken back the "Tonight" show perch the way Leno did from him.

Leno took a shot at O'Brien when he joked about a supposed Facebook page kept by Faisal Shahzad, the man accused of planting a car bomb in Times Square. The camera panned over the fake page to groups that Shahzad was a member of, and one of them was "Team Coco."

Sounds like someone's a little bitter.

Shaneus

...and upset that someone called him out. Conan's pretty much always been renowned for being a genuinely nice guy while Leno's always been seen as the opposite.

PS. It sounds like it was a pretty weak joke anyway.

AniHawk

Shaneus said:
...and upset that someone called him out. Conan's pretty much always been renowned for being a genuinely nice guy while Leno's always been seen as the opposite.

Yeah well Jay Leno is a weak comedian.

mj1108

Shaneus said:

Here's a screengrab of the joke (grabbed from SA and rehosted):

v3g65c.jpg

Ryck

Ughh Leno's jokes are always the same exact jokes just reused in different scenarios. ( I am talking about the main joke "blowing up Nissan Pathfinders")

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
AniHawk said:
leno just needs some time to build a base, that's all. give him another year.

Yeah, because being number 1 & straight across the board ahead of your competition just isn't good enough.

Blader

I don't know where the tour thread is, so I'll just post it here:

I went to the Boston show tonight. Aside from the fact that it was incredible, I SHOOK HANDS WITH CONAN!

By a sheer miracle, during his encore, he went into the audience, and rather than staying down in the orchestra seats (where he was out of sight for us in the balcony), he came up to the balcony, walked up my specific row and started shaking hands and high-fiving everyone...INCLUDING ME.

Fucking awesome.

noisome07

Banned
Blader5489 said:
I don't know where the tour thread is, so I'll just post it here:

I went to the Boston show tonight. Aside from the fact that it was incredible, I SHOOK HANDS WITH CONAN!

By a sheer miracle, during his encore, he went into the audience, and rather than staying down in the orchestra seats (where he was out of sight for us in the balcony), he came up to the balcony, walked up my specific row and started shaking hands and high-fiving everyone...INCLUDING ME.

Fucking awesome.

You jack off with that hand yet?

tokkun

AniHawk said:
leno just needs some time to build a base, that's all. give him another year.

This is probably true. It's likely that a significant portion of his fan base passed away during the hiatus.

Jin

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/leno_next_yyQLPJwW2QFgidzoQ0wSLO

Jay Leno may be the next high-profile late-night host looking for a replacement.

Four months after taking back the "Tonight Show," Leno's ratings are actually behind those of Conan O'Brien.

The reality is starting to sink in at NBC that Leno is not only getting fewer viewers, but that his show is costing the cash-strapped network between $10 million and $15 million more a year than Conan's show did.

Leno's higher salary -- $30 million per year vs. Conan's $15 million -- plus the cost of his bigger production staff is pushing the show into the red, according to insiders.

"It's got the potential to be a huge embarrassment," says the source.

NBC is about to be taken over in a $28-billion deal with the cable giant Comcast.

"You can't figure they're happy about this," says the insider.

Leno has at least two more years to go on his NBC deal.

But, as Leno himself joked at the height of the late-night mess last January, "NBC stands for 'Never Believe your Contract.' "

It is increasingly clear that the bitter feud between Leno and O'Brien last spring has badly damaged Leno's appeal.

Even though Leno beats David Letterman most weeks, ABC's nightly newsmagazine, "Nightline," is now the top-rated show after 11:30 p.m.

Of most concern to NBC is that the numbers for Leno -- who is seen by about 4 million people a night -- are going down.

"The folks dwelling on Leno beating Letterman [which he did again last week] miss the point," tvbythenumbers.com, a rating Web site that has been following the late-night wars closely, wrote yesterday.

"Beating the competition is important only in press releases. What matters to NBC are a show's absolute ratings [and their trend] which correlate to its advertising potential."

Leno, who was No. 1 in late night when he was pushed out last May, had widely been expected to snap back.

Perhaps most telling of all, Leno's ratings since returning last March are down 20 percent over the same period last year.

That means Leno not only trails O'Brien now, he is also way behind where he was when he left the show last year.

scoobs

The unfortunate part is that NBC has no choice but to stick with Leno now so we're still all stuck with AWFUL leno as the tonight show host for years to come :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom