• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see good arcade style (American)football again?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8095
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
With the news of a new NBA Jam I started to think of NFL Blitz and all the fun arcade style football games that come out over the years.

Mutant League Football
g02645ldgal.jpg
mutant_football_422x317.jpg
mutant2.jpg

Gameplay video

Super High Impact
mSuper_High_Impact.jpg
1181242122141.png
1181242122143.png
1181242122142.png

Gameplay video

NFL Blitz
The king of arcade football!
NFL%20Blitz.gif
nfl_blitz_screen_shot.jpg
nflblitz2000_profilelarge.jpg

Gameplay video

NFL Street
917883_front.jpg
nfl-street-2-20050112020623189.jpg
s24593_ps2_15.jpg
nfl-street-2-legend-mike-singletary--20041104040643762-000.jpg

Gameplay video

I decided to only post one game per series... what am I missing?

IzzyF3

There is the Madden NFL Arcade game that came out recently on PSN and XBLA. I think it's priced around $15. I didn't play it yet, but I played the NHL Arcade, and that was pretty decent. I read reviews saying the NFL game isn't as good, but at least EA is making an effort.

the guy who is supposedly working with EA on the NBA Jam revival is the same dude that helped create the original Blitz, so here's hoping...

P.S. How the fuck did you forget Tecmo Bowl? Isn't that coming back to XBLA/PSN soon?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I should add Tecmo Bowl. I guess I didn't really think of it as arcade football for some reason. Also, Madden Arcade is pretty fun but it can't touch Blitz.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Son of Godzilla said:
... Wasn't there a good (decent?) Madden branded arcade game just released?

I tried the trial version of Madden NFL Arcade and thought it sucked, myself. There's a difference between "arcade" and "watered down to the bare essentials".

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Not a big fan of Blitz the League. It just wasn't as fun as the NFL Blitz games IMO.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tecmo bowl was not included because it was not arcade gameplay but deep sports simulation at its finest.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Hawkian said:
Tecmo bowl was not included because it was not arcade gameplay but deep sports simulation at its finest.

I have seen in real life Bo Jackson can stiff arm someone and make them fly 10 yards so I can agree with this man.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
You forgot about 989's short-lived NFL Xtreme series. Not surprising though, it was not memorable.

The port of NFL Blitz to PS1 is one of the finest 2 player games ever published. Playing that for the first time on my PS1 in '98 I was the moment that it really hit me that arcades were finished.

squicken

I've been hoping for a long time, but have lost faith. The NFL Arcade game was crap, and so were the NFL Street games.

ToxicAdam

Everyone predicted it 5 (?) years ago when EA bought the NFL licensing rights. It effectively killed the genre because no (credible) company is going to fund a football game that doesn't have real NFL teams on it. It's just too risky.

It's kind of a shame that there isn't an NFL equivalent of MLB Power Pros or some variation thereof.

Tamanon

Banned
NFL Street was a great torchbearer for the Blitz history. Such a fun multiplayer game, even with rampant lateral abuse!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ToxicAdam said:
Everyone predicted it 5 (?) years ago when EA bought the NFL licensing rights. It effectively killed the genre because no (credible) company is going to fund a football game that doesn't have real NFL teams on it. It's just too risky.

It's kind of a shame that there isn't an NFL equivalent of MLB Power Pros or some variation thereof.
I wonder if part of the reason EA won't bother with a new Mutant League is because it will piss off the NFL. You know, since the NFL gets pissed off about like sock colors in games. I remember several years ago now someone mentioning that there were a lot of people at EA who wanted to make it. Don't even know if those people are still there though. :/

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I wanted to go buy Blitz 2003 but it looks like Gamestop doesn't even have it anymore!

joezombie

I thought Blitz: The League I and II were great. Certainly enjoyed it more then NFL Street, and the single player campaign was really fun

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
ToxicAdam said:

Also the NFL made Midway take out the late hits and more 'X-TREME' aspects of Blitz because of a segment on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show where they showed an NFL exec the horrible things you could on Blitz and he pretended to be shocked and appalled. That was a sad day.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I went out and bought Blitz the League II and NFL Street 3 today. Impressions will be posted!

Dave Long

Banned
If NBA Jam is successful, I'd imagine we'll get something.

... but even if it is successful I think most people in the industry forgot that videogames are supposed to be fun, so you're unlikely to get something as wildly entertaining as what we got back in the 90's.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
riceandbeans said:
Nobody's mentioned Backbreaker yet? Gameplay looks pretty good, gives it a nice "actiony-arcade" feel. If all else, the Euphoria engine should give it a nice boost as well.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-on-backbreaker/60473

I'm on the wait and see boat with this one. Personally, I can't stand the look of that game. I'm not talking animation-wise, which looks awesome, but style-wise. Looks lame.

Top Bottom