• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is LA GAF OK? It's raining....

Status
Not open for further replies.

poweld

kenners said:
I was gonna go do laundry, but now that it's raining, maybe I should just hang my clothes up outside...
If you tried that bullshit here, it'd come back to you as ice cubes. Fuck CA GAF's weather dilemma.

mollipen

For you, the day the rain fell in your city of LA was the most important day of your life. But for me, when I lived back in Nebraska... it was Tuesday.

Fidelis Hodie said:
I'm in studio city and it aint no thang. I come from the land of tornado's and little snow, nashville! I also lived in Orlando for two years. Now there's some rain.

I don't feel like driving at all today though because everyone freaks the hell out in the rain. Ugh.

Oh what I grew up in Studio City. I'm in Berkeley now, though, so it's still raining. But I don't remember there ever being horrible rain in the valley.

Xeke said:
My god try living in a place with actual weather.
How about, no. When the rest of the country was freezing their balls off we had 75 degree weather. I'd take a few days of rain over having to deal with "real" weather.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Len Dontree said:
Ha, I grew up off White Bridge Rd near Nashville Tech. Out here animinatin' for the past several years, freelance for the time being.

I actually miss rain and thunderstorms and seasons, so it's nice when we get a good stretch of weather here in SoCal. Though I don't mind being so spoiled too much, when it was in the 20's and 30's back in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago I was going on hikes in the 75 degree sunshine.

But driving in this city is tiresome enough as it is, when there's rain it gets exponentially worse. That and all the denuded hills from the Station Fire are in danger of collapsing.

That's awesome, dude! I'm from Davidson, lived over by Nippers Corner. Been out here for the last year and a half pursuing the dream of directing and writing.

I'm really scared of all the houses above me on this hill sliding down and killing me. This could be my last post alive.

bjork

Jealous snow-living people make me laugh. You want to act all tough because you can shovel a driveway, but you guys would turn into whimpering little twats on one of our hot summer days, begging for a Fanta and an umbrella to hide under. It's not all rosy here!

DarkKyo

We had the grossest, snowiest, slushiest morning this morning. I live in MA. Your opinion strikes me as you being a complete pussy, hah. I mean, it's just warm rain...

Flynn

bjork said:
Jealous snow-living people make me laugh. You want to act all tough because you can shovel a driveway, but you guys would turn into whimpering little twats on one of our hot summer days, begging for a Fanta and an umbrella to hide under. It's not all rosy here!

Also they all eat at Applebees.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bjork said:
Oh please, SoCal's summer days aren't even that bad since it's usually not too humid.

DarkKyo

bjork said:
I'm gonna have to say no. I'd prefer a hot day to ice-picking out the bottom of my driveway and scooping up shovels of water all to have the plows shove more of that shit into there.

So stfu and enjoy your umbrellas and fanta or whatever you said. We've had hot days here so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Sullen

Need the haters gonna hate gif. :lol A few days of rain is worth it, cause other than that we've had the most glorious weather the last few months.

mollipen

bjork said:

Please. I've been here when it was 110 degrees outside, and yeah, it sucks, but it's nothing to being somewhere with 1" of ice buried under 14" of snow and -10 outside. You hop from your air-conditioned building to your air-conditioned car, and it's no big deal.

Borgnine said:
I think if wildfires counted as weather we would get more respect.

Wildfires are weather. They don't call it motherfucking FIRE SEASON for nothing. Our seasons are just more hardcore than everyone else. Waah, it's snowing. At least it isn't raining fire and ash, pussies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
bjork said:

lol, some parts of the world have all 4 seasons

Korey

Yep, it's raining but on top of the the wind is howling like crazy. Looking out my window it looks like a few palm trees are going to go flying any second now

Slo

It's been in the upper 20s/low 30s this entire week, and my coworkers have begun wearing shorts.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
bjork said:

It can surely get hot here, especially since I haven't had decent (or any) air conditioning in either of the apartments in which I've lived, but it's still nothing compared to a Tennessee summer.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
SnakeswithLasers said:
Wildfires are weather. They don't call it motherfucking FIRE SEASON for nothing. Our seasons are just more hardcore than everyone else. Waah, it's snowing. At least it isn't raining fire and ash, pussies.

Hell yeah this guy knows what's up. People are laughing at our STORM WATCH news coverage but it's serious business when fire stricken hill sides get wet, slide down, and entomb entire neighborhoods.

btkadams

rain?
snow-calgary1.jpg

2403884687_eb23664571.jpg

try dealing with ice and snow, bitch please.

EDIT: driving not dealing***

bjork

XiaNaphryz said:
Oh please, SoCal's summer days aren't even that bad since it's usually not too humid.

Tell that to the people I met at e3 who were miserable in May weather a few years back. I think it was like 85 out. :lol

This shit is fucking horrible. Last night I was driving down Melrose and you couldn't see the lines on the road too well due to the rain and someone in the oncoming lane was over on my side and almost fuckIng hit me.

It's also coming down really hard right now.

DarkKyo

bjork said:
Tell that to the people I met at e3 who were miserable in May weather a few years back. I think it was like 85 out. :lol
85? They must have been exaggerating. I live in New England, it can sometimes get 90-100 here in the summer and that's totally doable. 100 degree day anywhere>blizzards of new england.

Dark Octave said:
Expect about 200,000 traffic accidents within the next 30 minutes. Southern Californians are idiots when it comes to driving in the weather. It's gonna look like a war zone on the freeways, watch.
I've seen 2 spinouts on the way to work this morning. Can't wait to drive to Staples Center later on today for the Laker game...

But I'm all for the rain. This is spittle compared to when I used to live in Germany. The slopes are going to be awesome as fuck though this weekend. :D

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
polyh3dron said:
This shit is fucking horrible. Last night I was driving down Melrose and you couldn't see the lines on the road too well due to the rain and someone in the oncoming lane was over on my side and almost fuckIng hit me.

It's also coming down really hard right now.
I was on the on the freeway going about 55mph and some of the other cars were going 80mph.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
polyh3dron said:

Yeah, shit like this is the only serious worry in LA when it rains, at least until it overwhelms LA's pathetic excuse for a drainage system. The roads just aren't marked or maintained well enough to keep the lines visible, and sometimes idiots drift. I'm staying the hell inside today, anyway. No reason to deal with that if I don't have to.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Itt: Cali gaf making the rest of gaf feel like shit cause they have awsome weather all year round.

bjork

Vox-Pop said:
I was on the on the freeway going about 55mph and some of the other cars were going 80mph.

Out here I stay on the middle lane of the freeway, seems to be ok for still trucking along at a good clip.

Drahcir

SoCal definitely makes it a big deal when it rains when in other parts of the country many would consider this mild drizzle. I'm in the L.A. county and it hasn't stopped raining since this morning, but I like it. We don't get rain very often so it's nice when it comes around.

btkadams

MattKeil said:
Yeah, shit like this is the only serious worry in LA when it rains, at least until it overwhelms LA's pathetic excuse for a drainage system. The roads just aren't marked or maintained well enough to keep the lines visible, and sometimes idiots drift. I'm staying the hell inside today, anyway. No reason to deal with that if I don't have to.
the lines being hard to see is still common in places that get harsh winter weather. the roads get very worn by the weather and difference in temperature throughout the years. roads just plain suck everywhere.

cruets

stupid rain, i gotta go see utada hikaru in west hollywood tomorrow. if it wasnt bad enough to drive on the 101 at rush hour, now i gotta do it in the rain.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
The worst part about the rain, especially in the valley, is the roads aren't even close to built for it. Everything is flooded up and no one acts accordingly.

That's why I'm staying inside all day. Thank you Fall Out 3.

Dark Octave said:
Expect about 200,000 traffic accidents within the next 30 minutes. Southern Californians are idiots when it comes to driving in the weather. It's gonna look like a war zone on the freeways, watch.

Pretty much. I'm close to the city, and we have to go shopping later. :(

But this is mid-level Oregon at the moment. Only for a week, so it's all good.

Rorschach

I fucking love the rain. Especially today since I only have to drive a little (people here are idiots in the rain). It hasn't come down this hard in many years. LOVE IT! I might go out and play in it.

Drahcir said:
SoCal definitely makes it a big deal when it rains when in other parts of the country many would consider this mild drizzle. I'm in the L.A. county and it hasn't stopped raining since this morning, but I like it. We don't get rain very often so it's nice when it comes around.

Issue is people here don't know how to deal with water falling from the sky. Don't know how to drive in it, and the roof is leaking at my work... :lol

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
g0est said:
I cannot believe that they actually call their doppler machine "MEGA DOPPLER 7000 HD".

When it first premiered years ago (back then it was just the ABC 7 Doppler Radar) my friend and I gave it a malevolent personality that would strike down its foes from the mountaintop with its Doppler lazer. Whenever the radar line would pass over our area on the map we would scream in horror awaiting the heat of a thousand suns to burn us alive. Never happened though.

It really is hilarious though because while it's useful during weeks like this one, they still use it all year round. So basically the other 355 days you're looking at a perfectly clear map with a rotating line on it.

Why For?

Banned
Doesn't rain like a total of 5 days in a year in LA?

Quit fucken complaining.

It's the mIDDLE OF SUMMER here in Melbourne and it's been only 19 or 20 degrees C and pissing down rain the last 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom